Having a bathroom window exhaust fan can be a real convenience for most people. They help clear out odors, as well as prevent mold and mildew by venting out steam from shower usage. However, it can be challenging to figure out which model of fan would work for the needs of bathroom exhaust.
Any fan you need won’t be used to cool the bathroom except maybe in the summertime. Water-resistance is also going to be a significant factor too. Let’s take a look at our top 10 best bathroom window exhaust fans.
Best Bathroom Window Exhaust Fan
1. Bionaire Window Fan
- Draws in cool air, exhausts hot air, or exchanges air with outside. Displays the current on LED digital display
- Electronic control with LCD screen and remote control; three speeds
- Programmable Thermostat turns fan off/on to maintain selected comfort level
- Fits double-hung, vertical slider, and width 24.25 inch (61.6 cm)
- Extenders permit custom fit; 13 inches high overall, with 8-1/2-inch fans
The Bionaire twin window fan is one of the best units on this list. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but it works well as a bathroom window fan. It fits both double-hung and vertical slider windows, ensuring that you have an easy installation. It also includes expanders that help keep the window fan in place in the case that the window is a little too big.
The unit has an LCD screen that shows you what the current temperature is, as well as electronic controls meaning that you don’t have to reverse the unit to change from exhaust or intake manually. It also has a remote control, which can help if you want to activate it from a distance before you enter the room. It also includes a five-year warranty, which can be helpful if the unit breaks.
Sadly, the main drawback doesn’t lie with the unit, but with the customer service that Bionaire employs. If you do make use of your warranty, you have a good chance you won’t receive the same unit back. In some cases, it may be for the best to just return the unit for a refund, if at all possible.
- Fits double-hung and vertical slider windows
- Expanders help the unit fit into most windows.
- Electronic controls and LCD screen interface.
- Remote control
- 5-year warranty.
- Poor customer service.
2. Genesis Twin Window Fan
- 3 speed settings: the Avalon high velocity Twin reversible airflow window fan features 3 speed settings of low, medium and high. Select your comfort speed level with ease
- Max cool technology: this Twin fan features a built in thermostat with ranges from 60 to 80 degrees, and LED lights that help you visibly keep track of the temperature setting
- Dual motors: this innovative double fan has two 9" fan heads with their own durable Copper motors. Copper motors are built to endure through all weather and situations
- Expandable side panels: our dual window fan will fit into any window easily with its built in dual expandable side panels that can expand an additional 6.5 inches on either side
- Reversible airflow fan: this double fan is uniquely designed to simultaneously operate for intake or exhaust purposes with its reversible blades. Dimensions are 24 x 12 x 4 inches
The Genesis Twin Window Fan is another great choice for use as a bathroom exhaust fan. It includes the typical things you would expect, but at a somewhat lower price point, making it perfect for use in a bathroom. It has a built-in thermostat, meaning that it’s programmable and will run when the bathroom reaches a specific pre-set temperature.
It will run at up to three speeds, which is convenient as you may need a high speed to remove heavy steam, but lower speeds for odors. Expandable side panels help the fan fit in a variety of window sizes, and the fans are electronically reversible, allowing you to run intake and exhaust functions at the same time. All in all, this is one of the best units for the money.
The only real downside to this fan is that it doesn’t automatically resume any of its settings after a power outage, meaning that you do have to remember to tend to it for it to get back to work. While this is a minor nuisance, it is still something to watch out for.
- Built-in thermostat.
- Three Speeds.
- Expandable side panels.
- Electronically reversible fan blades.
- Doesn’t automatically resume after a power outage.
3. Holmes Window Fan
- Dual-blade operation for a powerful, cooling breeze
- Two speed settings and manual-reverse airflow control
- Water-resistant motors are safe to use during rainy weather
- Designed to fit most double-hung and slider windows. Ideal for large rooms up to 500 sq. ft.
- Adjustable extender screen and extender panel help secure fan in larger windows
- Oscillation: Turns the head of the fan from left to right at either a 90 or 180-degree angle (depending on model), which will disperse the air output over a larger area
The Holmes twin window fan is probably the best unit on this list and most well suited for the task of being a bathroom window exhaust fan. The primary reason for this is that it is water-resistant, and thus won’t cause any issues being in a room that is full of moisture and humidity.
It can cool up to 500 square feet if you do need its cooling functions, and with the oscillating fans, it can do the job spectacularly. It fits in most windows, and especially in double-hung and slider windows. For cases where the unit doesn’t fit well, it comes with both panel and screen extenders. In all, you can be sure that this fan will meet your needs as a bathroom exhaust fan.
The only downside is that it’s manually reversible, meaning that you will have to remove the unit from the window and flip it around to change from the exhaust to intake. Given that we’re looking for exhaust units, it’s not a big deal, but it does limit you in some ways.
- Cools up to 500 square feet.
- Fits double-hung and slider windows.
- Water-resistant motors.
- Includes an extender screen and extender panel.
- Oscillating fans cover more distance.
- Manually reversible.
4. Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
- Designed to fit into most double hung and slider windows (Measures approximately 13.3" x 25.5" x 6")
- Adjustable extender screen and bonus extender panel help to secure fan into larger windows (Can extend up to 37" with extenders)
- Dual blade operation with idependent electronically reversible motors allows for air intake, exhaust, or air exchange for full room circulation
- Plug in the power cord into a 120 AC Outlet. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual.
- Troubleshoot- if air does not seem to be blowing in properly adjust airflow directional switch to intake. Note-for slider windows set the fan vertically in your window opening with the left side of the fan situated on the bottom and the built-in extender panel on top. Aluminium lock
- Dual blade operation with independent electronically reversible motors; Two speed settings
- Water-resistant motors are safe to use during rainy weather; Designed to fit most double hung and slider windows
The Holmes HAWF2021 is a pretty good fan for the price. It fits in most small windows and comes with expanders to help it fit in wider windows. It is very lightweight, and is easy to move and flip. It runs quietly, meaning that you won’t be annoyed during your peaceful bath.
Best of all, it’s another unit that is waterproof, which is vital to it working well in a bathroom. The lightweight design is due to it using plastic components, and this can be both a blessing and a curse (more on that later). However, plastic parts will take less damage and wear from humidity and moisture.
The only issue that this fan has been that it’s manually reversible and that the components are mostly plastic. Manually reversible fans aren’t a big problem in terms of looking for a simple fan to work as a bathroom exhaust. Likewise, the lightweight nature of the fan makes it easy to flip if you do need to do so.
The plastic components, as mentioned above, are great and bad at the same time. While they do help prevent damage from moisture or water, plastic components are easier to damage via normal use and can also be damaged by sunlight.
- Fits windows 9.8 inch wide and 36 inches high.
- Lightweight and easy to move.
- Runs quietly.
- Includes expanders.
- Manually reversible.
- Mostly plastic.
5. Lasko 2137 Twin Window Fan
- Slim profile to maintain outside view
- Expander panels for a custom fit - Fits most windows from 22" to 32"
- Positon for intake or exhaust
- 2 quiet, energy-efficient speeds
- The Blue Plug Patented safety fuse technology
- Fully assembled for window use (simple assembly for table or floor use)
The Lasko 2137 twin window fan is pretty decent. It comes with handy expander panels that allow you to mount the unit vertically or horizontally. Has Blue Plug Patented safety fuse technology, meaning that you can rest with peace of mind?
One great feature is that the fan has adjustable feet that allow you to use the unit as a table or floor fan. This is great because you can remove the fan from the bathroom when not in use and put it to work cooling other areas of your living space. It works best to cool small spaces, so keep that in mind.
The only real downside to this fan is that it doesn’t seem to be very durable, and isn’t meant for constant usage. This isn’t as bad a problem for a bathroom exhaust fan that will probably only run while the bathroom is occupied. However, if you plan on using it as a table fan, be aware that it can wear out quickly.
- It comes with convenient expander panels.
- Blue Plug Patented safety fuse technology.
- Includes feet for use as a table fan.
- Great for small spaces.
- Not meant for constant use.
6. Optimus F-5280 7-Inch Twin 2-Speed Window Fan
- Great for all your needs
- 2 Speeds for easy use
- Rain-resistant Motor For Efficient Air Delivery
- Manually Reversible & Both Side Speed Control
- Pulls Cool Air In Or Exhausts Stale Air Out
- 2-speed rain resistant motor
- Pulls cool air in or exhaust stale air out
- Feet provided for free standing operation
- Includes built-in adjustable slide screens
The Optimus F-5280 twin window fan is a safe bet in terms of bathroom exhaust window fans. The best thing about this particular fan is that the motor is resistant to rain, and most importantly, water and moisture. This is, as always, one of the most important features when looking for bathroom fans.
It includes built-in extenders that allow you to fit the unit in a wide variety of window sizes. It also contains feet so that you can use it as a floor or table-based fan when not in use in your bathroom. That’s always a plus in my book! It’s great to be able to use any appliance as a multi-tasker and get the most out of your dollar.
The main downside is that the unit can be kind of noisy, and that’s an issue for some people. It also has problems with the way they ship it with minimal protective packaging. Most units arrive just fine, but you should be aware of that. It’s not a widespread problem, however, and the return policy is always great.
- Rain and water-resistant motor.
- Adjustable built-in extenders.
- Feet included for use on tables and floors.
- Shipping issues.
7. Comfort Zone CZ310R 3-Speed 3-Function Expandable Reversible Twin Window Fan
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL | 3 Fan Functions - Cool, Exhaust and Circulate
- HIGH POWER | 3 Speed Push Button Control with Electronically Reversible Fan Motors
- UNIVERSAL - Fits Most Windows - Expands from 23.5" to 37.0" Wide
- FEATURES | Locking Accordion Expanders - Removable Feet for Table-Top Use
The Comfort Zone CZ310R twin window fan is a decent unit and worth considering among the units listed above. It has a three-speed setting, which is pretty great compared to the standard of 2 speeds. The remote control lets you get the unit on to the best settings before you even have to step foot in the bathroom.
The primary feature is the bug screen and heat cover. When not in use, you can use these covers to keep the unit from letting in bugs or heat. Pretty nifty as a feature that is rarely seen. It also includes built-in expanders that help the unit fit in almost any window size you can imagine.
The downsides are that it’s noisy and not very powerful. The noise doesn’t seem to be a common or widespread problem and may vary depending on how you have the unit fit into your particular window frame. The only other major problem is that it doesn’t seem to be very powerful, which could be an issue when being used as an exhaust unit in a room with steam and humidity.
- 3 speeds.
- Includes remote control.
- Has a removable bug screen and heat cover
- Built-in expanders.
- Not very powerful.
8. Simple Deluxe 9-Inch Dual Twin Window Fan
- 9" Twin Window Fan with PP Blades, High Velocity Reversible Airflow Fan, LED Indicator Lights Adjustable Thermostat & Max Cool Technology.
- 3 screed settings of low, medium and high. Select your comfort screed level with ease.
- This twin fan features a built-in thermostat with ranges from 60 to 90 degrees, and LED lights that help you visibly keep track of the temperature setting.
- This dual window fan will fit into any window easily with its built in dual expandable side panels that can expand an additional 6. 5 inches on either side.
- This double fan is uniquely designed to simultaneously Aerate for intake or exhaust purposes with its reversible blades.
The Simple Deluxe Dual Twin Fan is an exciting unit and is a relatively new model on the market. It boasts an adjustable thermostat, which is always convenient. Being able to program units helps to ensure that you still have the comfort level that you need.
The LED light panel helps to tell you what settings are currently running. The unit is electronically reversible, meaning that you don’t have to flip it to change from intake or exhaust. This is great because it prevents the unit from becoming a single task unit (in our case, exhaust). Built-in extenders are included and help to get just the right fit.
On the downside, the awkward design of the unit may make it hard to balance in a window. Likewise, it looks a little cheap and flimsy, meaning that it may not last long if used too frequently. Looks can be crucial to building trust with consumers in regards to the longevity and safety of the item. Granted, this unit may be pretty dependable, but it hasn’t been around very long.
- Adjustable thermostat.
- LED light panel.
- Electronically reversible.
- Built-in extenders.
- Awkward design.
- Somewhat cheap looking.
9. TruePower Portable Twin 9″ Reversible Window Fan
- Draws in cool air, exhausts hot air, or exchanges air with outside
- Fits double-hung, vertical slider, and casement windows 23 to 32 inches wide
- ETL approved
- 2 independent rotary switch
This little cooling fan by TruePower is a relatively simple design but still provides some useful features for use as your bathroom window exhaust fan. It has two fans, and each of them can be controlled separately. This means you can use only one fan if you wish, or use one for intake and one for exhaust, significantly improving the air circulation.
What’s more, you can double up and use both fans for intake or exhaust, increasing their performance in that way if it suits your needs better. This fan is particularly good for its simplicity. It doesn’t have many bells and whistles, but that means it has less that will break on you with continued use.
With that said, it’s a pretty small unit and might have trouble fitting all window designs. Some people have reported having issues getting it to fit perfectly onto their windows, so double check your measurements to be sure this model will fit your home. The installation itself is about as easy as you would expect, but the specifications of the design will limit what kind of windows it can be used in.
- Provide two independent fans that control separately
- Electronically reversible
- Can intake and exhaust air at the same time
- Some difficulty fitting larger windows
10. Hon&Guan 6″ Home Ventilation Fan Bathroom Garage Exhaust Fan
- ❄️ 【Modern design】❄️ Modern design and good looking, the unit provides continuous and quiet ventilation to allow speedy reduction of humidity levels and avoid mildew and mould growth. Paremeters: Air flow 160 CFM, Power:25w, Voltage: 110v
- ❄️【Durable material】❄️ Fan frame and blade are made of high quality durable ABS plastic,UV resistant, makes it high efficiency working and long working life. Effective, extremely quiet ventilation clears humidity and odors quickly
- ❄️ 【Whisper quiet】❄️ Hon&Guan used silent-clever technology with only 0.8 sone, continuous or periodic exchaust ventilation area such as bathroom, showers, kitchens and other spaces.
- ❄️ 【Energy saving】❄️ It has reliable low power consumption, power:25W, continuous operation, and the protection class is IP34.
- ❄️ 【Easy installation】❄️ The fans can be directly mounted into the ventilation shaft also suitable for ceiling mounting, just fix the fan to wall by self-tapping screws. With plug.Front panel dimension:205*205*14mm; Back duct dimension 150*150*125mm
This Hon&Guan ventilation fan is a viable option as an exhaust fan for your bathroom, kitchen, or other workspaces that need extra ventilation. It’s constructed out of ABS plastic that’s of good quality and feels pretty solid. It also features a copper motor that’s way beyond being durable and works exceptionally well under continued usage.
It can exhaust a pretty good amount of air for a fan of this size, which is something very much worth considering if you want to install it in a more cramped room or space. It installs fairly easily as well, and even comes with some great directions.
Often, however, users tend to think that this fan can be a little on the noisy end. While running, it can generate a fair amount of noise, which can probably be made better or worse, depending on how it’s installed.
Overall, a pretty good option for an exhaust fan, but if noise is a concern, it is worth keeping this in mind. The installation does require some tools, so if you aren’t very good with DIY projects, you may want to consider that too.
- Powerful exhaust without needing much power
- Durable copper motor
- Rigid ABS plastic construction
- Installs relatively easy
- Can be noisy
In all, the fans listed in this article will all do the job well. The choice will mainly be dependent on how you use the bathroom and what you need out of a fan. If you have any comments or questions, let us know in the comments below.
Other Bathroom Fans Reviews