Recently, I was having a conversation with an acquaintance about how spending time in the grow room has become an escape from all the noise in the world.
However, he was concerned since the wife had told him to smell the plants down or get rid of the plants. Fortunately, I have a solution since I had a carbon filter in my grow room back at home. I recommended that he get the 4 inches one as the grow tent was not that big.
You can imagine what followed was a list of questions on the specifics of the best 4-inch carbon filters. At this moment, I figured several other people could be in the same situation and may need a little guidance on purchasing the best 4-inch carbon filter.
What Exactly Should I Look for in A 4 Inch Carbon Filter?
The assumption is that all of us know that a 4-inch carbon filter will be effective for spaces that are 4*4. I recommend that you do not overwork it by putting it in a larger space, as this may affect its lifespan.
With this understanding, the first thing that you should look out for in a 4-inch carbon filter is the carbon’s quality inside the filters. The best way to get to understand the quality is to look for where it is sourced.
If the manufacturer has not indicated, you can always question them. This is an important question because different areas have different carbon with different absorbent rates.
You don’t want to find yourself with carbon that is so poor in absorbing that you will view your carbon filter as a waste of money. I recommend that you purchase the product that has carbon sourced from Australia.
The durability of the 4-inch filter is another element that will aid in the selection of the best. Here, I acknowledge that people will have different needs.
There are those looking for a temporary carbon filter with a low budget, while others are looking for something that will last them a long while. Depending on your needs, ensure that you understand how long your filter would last.
However, suppose you do not use it as recommended (changing the pre-filter or washing it regularly). In that case, you can be sure that it won’t last you as long as the manufacturer has indicated its lifespan should be.
I also recommend looking out for replaceable pre-filters. Some carbon filters will not come with a replaceable pre-filter which means that once it stops operating (which maybe after a few months), you are back into the shopping field for a carbon filter.
This is not only disappointing but also economically draining. A 4-inch carbon filter that has a replaceable or, better still, a washable pre-filter such as the Amagabeli 4-inch Carbon Filter will work to your advantage, especially economically.
Versatility is another element that you should look out for. This means looking out for the carbon filter used as both an inline or an exhaust fan. This ensures that you can place the filter in numerous spaces and extend its lifespan.
How Do I Take Care of My Carbon Filter?
Taking care of your carbon filter will increase its life span. I believe that you should not purchase equipment to mismanage and poorly maintain it as this will be a waste of limited financial resources.
Maintaining the carbon filter is easy. When the filter is new, it may have some excess carbon. Thus, it is always advisable to vacuum first before the first use to remove this excess carbon.
Another way is to ensure that you always have an extra fabric sleeve that increases the length of the filter. Using an inline fan with the filter is another recommendation. This allows you to use it in different positions prolonging the life of the carbon filter.
Cleaning the carbon filter is also another essential part of maintaining it. However, most people may be wondering how they can clean this carbon filter.
Will I need to disassemble the entire filter? Will I use water?
These are some of the common questions that may be going through your mind. However, cleaning is quite simple as you begin removing it where you fixed it in your space.
It would be best if you then took it to an open space to facilitate ease of cleaning. First, shake it vigorously to ensure that any trapped dirt or dust is removed. You will then proceed to spray water and submerge the filter in soapy water (mild).
This soaking should be for about 15 minutes, whereafter you rinse. Retain the filter in the open space allowing for complete drying before taking it back to your space.
Carbon is undoubtingly one of the most important components of the carbon filter. However, the dampness of this carbon may be detrimental to its longevity.
This is if the filter is in a place that has high humidity. As part of the maintenance of this carbon filter, it is important to have the activated carbon dry under the heat of the sun so that it can last longer and ensure the effectiveness of operations of the carbon filter all through its lifespan.
Finally, get the right room’s right size to avoid overworking the filter and avoid sparing it after it has reached its maximum capacity, as performance may not be as good. Better still, you can get a larger size than the size of the room, extending its lifespan.
How Will I Set Up My Carbon Filter?
In the product review, we talked about how exciting it is to get a 4-inch carbon filter that is easy to install. It saves you a lot of stress, including engaging in a home improvement or maintenance professional’s services.
However, I do not want to assume that all of the readers here have interacted with carbon filters and understand how they should be set up. As such, I will cover how they should be set up in the next paragraph, after which you will agree with me that it is quite an easy undertaking.
If you are placing it on the ceiling within your space, you can hang the carbon filter from the ceiling. You will need to use hooks and straps, which almost every manufacturer will pack with the air filter. The next thing here is to take the air ducting, which you will run through a wall, hooking up an inline fan on its outside.
If you plan to have the filter outside your space (for instance, outside your grow room), you should have something to hold it up. You can place a wooden rack or even a milk crate. The equipment doesn’t need to be held up as you could also hang it.
Find what works best for your space. After this, you can then run the air ducts, and the filter will start operating.
Best 4 Inch Carbon Filter
1.Vivos 4 inch Carbon Filter
- Superior Carbon Quality: Made of imported Virgin Australian activated charcoal, delivering 100% filtered airflow. 1050+ RC 48 carbon captures three times more air contaminants than average due to optimal surface area per carbon particle
- Eliminates Smelliness: Protects from smelliness from pungent indoor grow operations to bathrooms, basements and kitchens. Absorbs smelliness from pets and smoking as well
- Effective Smelliness Control: Eliminate some of the most undesirable, pungent smell and particulates from indoor grow tent, hydroponics grow room
- Versatile Applications: Item can be used as intake or exhaust filter in a variety of setups including use with 4 inch inline fan and duct fans, intake and exhaust fans, air exchange fans, ventilation ducts, and other accessories
- Package Includes: Carbon Filter; Changeable Pre-filter; Carbon Filter Belts. Dimensions: 4'' x 14''.
The first noticeable advantage of this product is that it is made with quality materials. This is a favorite element for most consumers as they are assured of good quality carbon that filters air effectively when using this air filter.
This filter comes with a pre-filter making sure that your equipment does not get clogged quickly as something is trapping the larger particles. The best part is that it can be used in two reversible ways-as an intake or exhaust filter.
Sometimes, we get to start thinking of purchasing some products but then stop when we think, or worse, find out that they cost us an arm and a leg. However, this is not the case with the Vivosun 4 inch Carbon Filter.
The product is budget-friendly considering all the advantages that it brings along. The deal also gets much better upon the realization that the equipment has a one-year warranty. It is always amazing when you can buy a product with some insurance.
Users have, however, complained that the filters do not take out the bad odors completely, which is a feature that is common in other air filters.
- Made with quality materials
- Budget-friendly and comes with a one-year warranty.
- It comes with a pre-filter
- It can be used in two reversible ways.
- Users have complained that the filter may not eliminate the odor.
2. iPower 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter
- Effective odor control: protects from chemical irritants and eliminates odors from bathrooms, basements and kitchens. Absorbs odors from pets and smoking, pungent smell and particulates from indoor grow tent.
- Versatile applications: item can be used as intake or exhaust filter in a variety of setups including use with inline fan and duct fans, intake and exhaust fans, air exchange fans, ventilation ducts, and other accessories.
- Specs: air flow: 200CFM; size: 4inch; flange ducting: 12inch length. 1050+ IAV Australian RC412 activated carbon: one of the world's most absorbent carbon available.
- Reversible flange and base: the flange and bottom can be removed to reverse the charcoal canister, allowing the filter body to be flipped upside-down for reversible smell filtration and an extended service life.
- Pre-filter included: we recommend replace the pre-filter every 6 months to protect your filter.
The 4-inch carbon filter is one of iPower’s quality equipment. It is characterized by an effective odor control within your spaces owed to a thick layer of carbon in this equipment. The virgin Australian charcoal is also a great contributor to this equipment’s effectiveness as it allows it to absorb 99% of the odors in your spaces.
The other element about this equipment that re-assures the consumer that the manufacturer had their best interests at heart is its ability to be used as both an intake and an exhaust filter.
Clogging is an enemy to any air filter. Thus, when purchasing an air filter, most people will go for the products that have pre-filters. This air filter will not disappoint as it has a pre-filter trapping the large particles of dust and pollutants within the space.
The notable limitation of this air filter is the short life span of the pre-filter. The manufacturer advises that the pre-filter be replaced after six months of use. However, this should not present a massive problem to you as replacement is not expensive.
- Effective odor control
- It comes with Virgin Australian Charcoal RC 412
- It can be used as both an exhaust and intake filter.
- Includes a pre-filter
- The short life span of the pre-filter
3. Cool Grows 4-inch Air Carbon Filter
- 🍃 Odor Control: Pre-filter included, our item will soak up and eliminate the undesirable and ill-smelling odors of bathroom, kitchen, drying rooms to keep your place clean while bring you cleaner air.
- 🍃 Reversible Flange & Base: The flange and bottom can be removed to reverse the charcoal canister, making the filter body could be flipped upside-down for reversable smell filtration and also extend the service life.
- 🍃 High Efficiency: Machine packed carbon enables 99.8% filtered air flow. Inner and outer mesh provides 53% open area allowing increased air flow, easy compact with the Inline Fan(not included).
- 🍃 Absorbent Carbon Filter: 4 inch carbon filter, 1050+ IAV Australian virgin charcoal bed.
- 🍃 Optional Size & Top Customer service: 4" & 6" for your better choice, and the item has better absorption and effective. If our product does not meet or exceed your expectations, please contact us at any time. One-year warranty: Our warranty is ironclad and truly hassle free.
The durability of any equipment is one thing that makes individuals select a product over another. Thus, whenever a piece of equipment has this advantage, then consumers will undoubtingly edge towards it.
The Cool Grows 4-inch Air Carbon Filter has the durability advantage owing to its make. It is made of galvanized steel which is much more long-lasting than aluminum-made carbon filters. Additionally, the company offers a one-year warranty, ensuring that you can take it back if it does not work as intended.
This equipment’s effectiveness is also indisputable due to its machine-packed carbon, which is also of high quality. It guarantees 100 percent uninterrupted airflow, allowing your grow room and your space to experience complete odor elimination.
The pre-filter is another impressive feature. You will no longer have to worry about the clogging of your air filter with this carbon filter.
Among the few limitations of this equipment is that the CFM does not match the size. Thus, the users have had to contend with much less air being moved and filtered by the carbon filter than expected for 4 inches.
- Durable and also comes with a one-year warranty.
- Machine-packed carbon
- It comes with a pre-filter
- Users have complained that it has a CFM lower than expected.
4. Amagabeli 4-inch Carbon Filter
- Absorbent Carbon Filter: 4 inch carbon filter, 1050+ IAV Australian virgin charcoal bed, machine packed carbon enables 99.8% filtered air flow. Inner and outer mesh provides 55% open area allowing increased air flow.
- Air Scrubber: Galvanized Steel material more durable than aluminum, lasts long from plants germination, sexing, flowering and harvest. Includes washable pre-filter, easily mount the filter with Velcro seam.
- Odor Control: Air purifier to eliminate odor, pungent smell and particulates from indoor grow tent, hydroponics grow room, smoking room, living room, bathroom, kitchen, drying rooms, pet house, welding workshop, 3D printer etc. Perfect for tomato plants, pepper, vegetable lettuce, cilantro.
- Fresh Air Combo: The 4in carbon filter matches with 4 inch inline fans, can fans, duct fans, intake fans, exhaust fans, air exchange fans, ventilation duct, air ducts, paint fumes hose, vent duct hoses, fan speed controller and other ventilation system accessories.
- Reversible Smell Filtration: The charcoal air filter can be used as both Intake Filter and Exhaust Filter. After a period of time use as an intake filter, go on using it as an exhaust filter. Moving air, purifying air and filtering air.
If you are looking for one of the best and effective air filters in the market today, then you won’t go wrong with the Amagabeli 4-inch Carbon Filter. It comes with an inner and outer mesh that increases the open area, facilitating more airflow within your spaces.
The pre-filter feature is also a plus eliminating the worry about cogging your air filter. The goodness of the pre-filter does not stop at that as it is washable. This means that you will not have to purchase another once the current one becomes clogged. Instead, you will wash it, which makes the whole deal economical.
We all understand the power of having a durable product in your room. It saves money and even time to go shopping for a replacement. Well, this is one of the carbon filters that will barely make you go through this trouble.
The Amagabeli 4-inch Carbon Filter is made of galvanized steel material, giving it a long life. The galvanized steel also protects the mesh in the filter from rust.
On the limitation side, however, it is important to note that users have complained of its inconsistency in eliminating odors. The finding is that the air filter does its work 80 percent of the time, but there may be some noticeable odors 20 percent of the time.
- Rust protection
- Washable pre-filter
- It comes with an inner and outer mesh.
- Reversible smell filtration feature
- Users have complained of its inconsistency in eliminating odors.
5. Growneer 4-inch Carbon Air Filter
This product definitely stands out from the rest in the market. One user was honest enough to indicate that they could not even smell their fart anymore upon installation.
This is because of its effective nature facilitated first by Australian raw carbon, which absorbs any odors effectively. It is one of the world’s most absorbent carbon.
The cone-shaped base is also another feature that facilitates its effective use. This ensures that there is maximized use of carbon for efficient airflow.
The reversible base and flange in this air filter give this product an extended or longer life span allowing you to relax before going on the next shopping spree. The fact that it comes with a pre-filter is also enticing since you know that the air filter’s clogging will not be of worry for you for quite a while.
The only limitation is that the flange is slightly bigger than 4 inches. This points towards the manufacturer counting on the users to use flexible venting.
Thus, if you have rigid venting, you may want to make some adjustments, which are not convenient if you had bought the equipment thinking that a 4-inch venting will fit.
- It comes with a reversible flange and base.
- Uses Australian raw carbon
- The base is cone-shaped.
- It comes with a pre-filter
- The flange is slightly bigger than 4 inches.
6. Phresh Carbon Filter For The Cleanest Air Around
- 46mm (18") RC-48 activated, certified virgin carbon bed
- Flange & pre-filter included. The flange is riveted to the filter and cannot be removed
- Unique "Anti Air Bypass" System
- Sealed, bagged, boxed and labeled directly after being manufactured for optimum life span, handling and presentation
- Large selection of sizes available to fit any application
I am the kind of person who will want to purchase a product that is from a reputable brand. After all, a good name is better than anything else. I know that there are plenty of individuals similar to me, too, reading this review—the Phresh Carbon Filter For The Cleanest Air Around giving some level of surety on its quality.
The product is also quite long-lasting, with some users stating that it has lasted for more than two years. This is quite a long time considering the other products that tend to have a shorter life span. The carbon filter is also light, making it portable and easy to move if you want to do that in your spaces.
A piece of easy install equipment is the joy of every individual. This product will not last you more than 30 minutes with its installation making it a favorite for most users.
Users have, however, complained that the equipment might not keep on its effectiveness for a long time. After some time, one can notice the odors. Additionally, it is slightly expensive than the other carbon filters in the market.
- Reputable brand
- Ease of installation
- Slightly expensive than the other products in the market
- The filter may be unable to keep the odor elimination going for a longer time.
Before I purchase something, I will usually have many questions and a thirst for knowledge on the relevance and the maintenance of the product I am about to buy.
I always thought that I was overdoing it until a friend told me that curiosity is the best way to live life. Even if it killed the cat, satisfaction resurrected it. I am sure that there are a lot of questions lingering on your mind about 4-inch carbon filters.
In case you are wondering where to get the answers, this is the right place. Without wasting more time, let’s delve into some of these important questions to help you in the buying decision-making journey.
There are so many carbon filters on the market. The ones provided above will give you a headstart on where you can begin your search. a reminder is for you to always look at your budget, the functionality of the particular carbon filter and its alignment with your needs, and finally, its longevity.
Remember that you can always go for an inexpensive carbon filter if that is your budget, but it may not be economically wise as you will soon be back to the hunting ground looking for another one.