So, you’re planning to buy a dehumidifier in preparation for the summer season. You’ve also determined that since you’re dealing with a larger room, perhaps one of the living areas, you need a 70-pint dehumidifier. You also want a unit with an electric pump for added convenience.
The good news is that there are tons of products to choose from, given that nearly every major HVAC manufacturer makes a 70-pint dehumidifier. The best 70 pint dehumidifier with pump also come in a wide range of models, with varying features and controls.
But, that often means one problem – choosing. Picking the right one for your application may not be as straightforward a process as you’d wish.
This guide is designed to help you sort through the different options to find the best option for your home.
What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need?
It’s a question a lot of people ask. Unfortunately, there’s no one right answer since no two applications are perfectly the same. Even two similar-sized bedrooms might need different size dehumidifiers depending on other considerations.
Before we look at the specific measurements, let’s discuss some of the factors that determine the right dehumidifier size for a given application.
Room size is obviously the first factor. A larger room requires a higher-capacity dehumidifier. For example, in the perfect scenario, a 70-pint dehumidifier would be ideal for rooms in the 2,500 square foot to 3,000 square foot range. Meanwhile, a 30-pint dehumidifier would be perfect for smaller rooms between 500 square feet and 1,500 square feet.
However, there’s another important factor – climatic conditions in the room. How much moisture does the room hold? What’s the relative humidity in the room?
A room with a higher relative humidity needs more dehumidification to bring down the moisture levels. So, if you have two rooms, each 1,500 Sq. Ft., but one with a 50% RH and the other 80% RH, the 80% RH room may need a 50-pint dehumidifier.
Dehumidifier Capacity (PPD)
PPD is short for Pints per day and refers to the amount of moisture the dehumidifier can remove (measured in pints) every 24 hours. A higher capacity dehumidifier can remove more moisture per hour, thus can serve a larger area.
Three other critical factors are where you intend to use the dehumidifier, the number of occupants, and the number of doors and windows in the area. Areas such as the bathroom and basement naturally require more powerful dehumidification because they are damper. You’ll also need a more powerful dehumidifier if you have more people in the room and rooms with many doors and windows.
How to Choose the Right Size Dehumidifier
You’ll find many dehumidification charts online to help you pick the correct size. However, generally, select as follows (assuming the new DOE standards);
- For 300 Sq. Ft. rooms: Get a 20-pint model for slight-moderately-damp areas (50% to 70% RH) and a 25-30-pint dehumidifier for very damp to wet conditions (70% to 100%+ RH).
- For 800 Sq. Ft. rooms: Get a 25-30-pint dehumidifier for slight to moderately damp areas and a 30-40-pint unit for very damp to wet conditions.
- For 800 Sq. Ft. rooms: Get a 35-40-pint dehumidifier for slight to moderately damp conditions and a 45-50-pint dehumidifier for very damp to wet conditions.
- For a 1,200 Sq. Ft. room: Get a 50-pint dehumidifier for slight to moderately damp rooms and a 55-60-pint unit for very damp to wet conditions.
- For a 1,500 Sq. Ft. room: Get a 70-pint dehumidifier.
Remember: A 50-pint dehumidifier under the new Department of Energy (DOE) standards is equivalent to a 70-pint dehumidifier under the old standards. A 70-pint unit under the new standards is equivalent to a 130-150-pint dehumidifier under the old standards.
Advantages of a Dehumidifier with a Pump
Many 70-pint dehumidifiers, especially under the new standards, come with built-in pumps for easy condensate draining. It’s a much welcome convenience for the following reasons;
- Continuous drain: The pump often enables continuous drain where the dehumidifier automatically drains continuously as the unit runs.
- No worry about water overflow: Although most dehumidifiers are designed to prevent overflow, the auto-stop function may fail. Continuous drain is a wonderful solution to that problem.
- There are no more tanks to empty in some cases: The built-in pump’s presence may also negate the need for a large water collection tank. This can save you from cleaning the tank.
- Lower risk of mold: Mold is an ever-present risk when using a dehumidifier. The wet tank can grow mold without warning. Pumping with continuous drain reduces the risk of mold.
Best 70 Pint Dehumidifier with Pump – Reviews
Let’s begin with a review of eight of the best 70-pint dehumidifiers with a pump. If you’re in a hurry, any product from this list would be a value-for-money investment.
1. Inofia Model YDA-828E 70-Pint Dehumidifier
- ✔️『Superb Dehumidification』With max. moisture removal capacity rate of 70 pints per day (2012 DOE standard), Inofia YDA-828E are ideal residential dehumidifiers for basements, garages, humid bathroom, and any large and/or damp rooms up to 4,500 sq ft.
- ✔️『Unique Laundry Mode』This home dehumidifier with unique Laundry Mode to quickly dry your delicate clothes that require hang dry. The Auto-swinging louvers help to improve airflow or set them to deliver air to a particular direction for optimal results.
- ✔️『Smart Dehumidifier』This 70 pint dehumidifier will AUTO OFF when its water reservoir (7.4 Pints) is full or when the desired humidity level is reached, and AUTO RESTART when the room humidity raises up again or even after a power interruption.
- ✔️『Easy Setup』This basements dehumidifier features with an intuitive digital control panel on setting working mode, fan speed, AUTO ON/OFF timer, and outlet airflow direction. This 70 pt dehumidifier with drain hose (6.56 ft long) can self drain automatically and continuously by gravity.
- ✔️『Portable Low-Temperature Dehumidifier』The 4 Casters and 2 side-recessed handles allow easy movement throughout the whole house. The auto defrost function allows this large capacity compressor dehumidifier to use in a cold environment at 41°F.
To kick us off is this majestic unit from Inofia. It’s a product you’ll come across quite often when shopping for a dehumidifier because of the unique design and powerful performance.
At 70 pints/day, it’s ideal for rooms up to 4,000 square feet. It works excellently in bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas, and even basements and garages.
It has a 0.9-gallon bucket that meaning you don’t have to worry about frequent tank drains. Better still, the built-in electric tank allows for continuous draining. The required 6.56-foot drain hose is included.
It also boasts a smart auto-off function that cuts the power supply to prevent water from overflowing when the tank is full. An auto-restart feature automatically kicks the appliance back into action as soon as the tank is emptied.
This dehumidifier resumes operation at the previous settings after a power interruption and features an easy access digital control panel for convenient performance control. You can change the fan speed level from the control panel, set the timer, and choose the outlet direction.
The four caster wheels and two side-recessed handles allow easy mobility, while the auto-defrost function means you can use the unit down to 41˚F.
- Powerful 70 pints/day performance
- Continuous drain with pump
- Drain hose included
- 1-year limited warranty
- No remote control
- No smart controls
2. Aprilaire 1830Z Pro Dehumidifier, 70-Pint for Homes
- Monitors and mitigates humidity separate
- Automatic digital controls
- Wi-Fi control
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Another great item from Flora Hydroponics
For whole-home dehumidification, though, the Aprilaire 1830Z would be the best choice. It also removes up to 9 gallons (70 pints) per day.
However, it’s a continuous drain-only dehumidifier. There are no water tanks or basins to empty. Instead, it’s a whole-home appliance that integrates with the rest of your HVAC system.
A whole-house dehumidifier relies on the home’s ductwork to remove excess moisture from the home. After the air is cooled, it passes over the dehumidifier’s refrigerant lines which condenses most of the moisture, leaving the air dry.
The dry is then returned to your home. These dehumidifiers typically rely on the AC’s fan system to draw moist air and disperse comfortable, dry air evenly throughout the room.
The Aprilaire 1830 also stands out for its durability. It’s made from corrosion-resistant coils that can last more than a decade in excellent shape. It’s also designed to prevent leaks.
The control panel can be mounted on the top or front of the unit as you wish. Also, it has a set-it-and-forget-it timer function that automatically starts dehumidification when it senses humidity levels above the humidistat setting.
This product is built and assembled in the US and meets most HVAC quality standards, including ETL certification requirements. A 5-year warranty backs it.
- Durable, leak-proof construction
- Convenient continuous drain
- Ideal for up to 3,800 Square Feet
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- No remote control
- It’s expensive at over $1,000
3. Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier with Wi-Fi
More consumers are investing in intelligent home systems. Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, and the rest are the new way to control electronic appliances throughout the home.
We’re not quite there yet with dehumidifiers. However, if you’d like a unit that you can control from an app on your phone, the Frigidaire model FGAC7044U1 would be a good shout.
It’s a modern-looking compressor dehumidifier with all the bells and whistles that define the digital age appliances. A touch control panel at the top allows you to select the desired humidification settings, including fan speed and RH level. It also features a timer function so you can program the dehumidification process.
However, what truly stands out is the Wi-Fi function. As long as you have wireless internet in the home, the model FGAC7044U1 from Frigidaire will remain connected to your smart home systems. It even has a unique Smart Appliance App where you can set temperature and humidity levels and adjust fan speeds conveniently. It has two fan speeds.
The 2-gallon capacity water tank allows you to run the dehumidifier for at least two full days without draining the unit. However, you can also opt for the continuous drain mode to drain the tank automatically and continuously. This way, you don’t have to worry about a full tank or water overflow.
- Powerful 70 PDD with 2-gallon tank
- Wi-Fi control with an app
- Features washable air filters
- Auto shutoff and full tank alert
- Manual or continuous drain
- 5-year sealed system warranty
- Required drain hose not included
4. Soleus Air Black 70-Pint Portable Dehumidifier with Internal Pump
- Portable dehumidifier removes up to 70 pints of moisture per 24 hours
- Internal pump for continuous upward drainage (pump hose included)
- MyHome Mode offers preprogrammed humidity levels for basement, living and sleeping spaces
- Digital humidistat displays set humidity level and current room humidity level
- 3-speed fan circulates air at speeds of low, medium and high
Priced at just under $300, the model DS1-70EIP-101B is another gorgeous 70-pint dehumidifier with a pump. Simply set the dehumidifier to the Internal Pump mode to begin using the pump drain option. The easily installed pump drain kit includes a gasket and drain hose that allows the internal pump to remove water up to 16 feet above the unit’s base.
Remember that you can also use the continuous mode without the pump if the dehumidifier is placed in a raised position. The bucket holds up to 14.8 pints of water and features an auto-shutoff as well as a full water alarm. The dehumidifier resumes operations at the previous settings in case of a power interruption.
Other key features of the unit include the automatic defrost setting that prevents the development of frost even in extra-cold conditions. The MyHome mode also stands out.
It allows you to personalize your dehumidification. It also has a child-lock mode that prevents accidental changes to your settings, a filter indicator, a programmable shutoff timer, and an electronic control panel to select your desired humidity settings.
It’s an Energy Star certified dehumidifier with three fan speed levels and a Quiet Operation mode. The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on parts and a 5-year warranty on the sealed system.
- Multiple convenience features
- Includes caster wheels for mobility
- Pump drain hose kit included
- Energy Star certified
- 5-year warranty on sealed system
- No remote control
5. IVATION 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier, Energy Star Certified, 70 Pints
- This Compressor Dehumidifier Keeps Spaces Up to 4,500 Sq. Ft. Cool & Comfortable by Removing 50 Pints of Moisture/Day (70 Pint according to the old DOE [Department of Energy] standards, in 2019 this was classified as 70 pint and it now needs to be classified as 50 pint but IT REMOVED THE SAME MOISTURE AS THE OLD 70 PINT)
- Built-In Humidity Sensor - The LCD accurately displays the current humidity level in the room, enabling you to set your ideal levels for automatic moisture control
- Built-In 16W Pump Delivers Worry-Free Use w/Continuous Upward Water Drainage Out of Basement Window or Into Sink
- Bright LED Display Indicates Humidistat & Setting, Fan Speed, Timer, Filter Alert & More
- Highlights Include Eco-Efficiency (ENERGY STAR Certified), Casters, Auto-Defrost, & Auto-Restart
The model IVADH70PWP2 is a lightweight, 45-pound appliance that’s also fairly compact compared to the other dehumidifiers in its range. It’s also durable and comes with caster wheels for mobility.
You can customize the air regulation with two fan settings. It also boasts a huge, 2.25-gallon water tank that can serve a large room. The manufacturer recommends it for rooms up to 4,500 square feet.
The tank drains with ease thanks to a powerful 16-watt built-in pump. Simply connect the hose and direct it to a nearby sink. You can also drain your dehumidifier into a sump tank if you wish.
The even better part is that you can select the continuous drain option so that the pump empties the tank automatically and continuously as the dehumidifier runs.
There’s no remote control. However, it has a digital LCD control panel where you can access all the settings. Key features controllable from the LCD panel include the 24-hour timer, humidistat, and fan speeds.
From the panel, you can also monitor reservoir alerts and important filter updates. Make sure to wash or change the filter whenever the check filter indicator lights up.
The IVATION IVADH70PWP2 has an auto-restart feature that saves your settings and resumes dehumidifier operation at the previous settings in case of power interruption.
- Transparent water level indicator
- Continuous drain, with pump
- Safety auto-shutoff and auto-restart
- Auto defrost function
- No smart/app control
6. CLZER 70-Pint Crawlspace Commercial Dehumidifier with Pump and Drain Hose
- Designed for Crawl Space: With a horizontal design and measuring at only 25.5*21*19.8 inch(L*W*H), this compact dehumidifier is perfect to fit in between floor joists, low-clearance crawl spaces and tight basement areas.
- Commercial Grade Dehumidifie: This COLZER dehumidifier CD120P with 353 CFM airflow rate removes up to 212 pints of moisture from the air per day in saturated conditions and 120 pints per day in AHAM, powerful enough to cover large spaces up to 8,000 square feet.
- Dehumidifier with Pump for Easy Drainage: This commercial dehumidifier with an internal pump will automatically drain the condensate out for low-hassle operation. Plus, the 16-foot long drain hose and 16-foot drain vertical height maximize the flexibility of installation.
- Easy Operation: Simply set the desired humidity value, this crawl space dehumidifier will auto cycle ON/OFF to maintain the desired humidity level, meanwhile auto drain, auto defrost, and auto restart after power outage for the most ever effortless humidity control.
- Designed with Convenience in Mind: The pump is easy to access for maintenance, also designed with gravity drain and the external pump drain option, ensuring worry-free drainage. The air outlet is duct-able and the remote control (BUY SEPARATELY) is compatible, offering great convenience while installation and operation.
Specifically designed for crawlspaces, the model CD70P form COLZER is a horizontal design, large-application dehumidifier. It measures 22.7 x 19.7 x 16.3 inches, compact enough to fit between floor joists, tight basement areas, and low-clearance crawl spaces.
Also, it’s classed as a commercial dehumidifier, which should give you a hint about its performance. It removes up to 145 pints of moisture from the air per day in saturated conditions and 70 pints/day under the 2020 AHAM standards.
The ideal coverage depends on where you intend to use it. For crawl spaces, it works excellently in areas up to 6,000 square feet. Meanwhile, for basements, it’s best for areas up to 5,000 square feet.
Whichever option you choose, the built-in filters prevent the entry of airborne particles, while the built-in humidistat allows you to set the desired humidification levels with ease.
However, there are two things to take note of – drain methods and the optional ducting feature. This dehumidifier doesn’t have a condensate tank. It relies 100% on continuous drainage.
So, make sure to set it properly to avoid any issues. The required 16-foot hose is included. Meanwhile, the ducting option allows you to integrate the dehumidifier into the rest of your HVAC system. But, you’ll need to purchase the connecting ducts separately.
- Removes up to 145 PPD in saturated conditions
- Powerful flow rate, up to 206 CFM
- Auto defrost and auto restart
- Continuous drain and optional ducting
- Ducting pieces sold separately
7. FridgeMaster 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier with Pump, Energy Star Certified
- 4,500 SQ FT LARGE DEHUMIDIFIER – Our dehumidifier can remove up to 50 pints (New DOE test procedure, equivalent to previous 70 Pints) of moisture from the air per day, taking that damp feeling out of the large rooms up to 4,500 square feet.
- DESIGNED FOR HOME TO CONTROL HUMIDITY - This Fridgemaster moisture-removing beast is fit for any basement, cellar or large room. It maximum moisture removal and odor reduction. You can also adjust humidity from 80% to 30% to keep your home dry, fresh, and quiet.
- BUILT-IN PUMP FOR EASY DRAINING - The 50pint dehumidifier is equipped with built-in pump and quick-connect water hose to discharge the water into a sink or basement window.
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED - This Energy Star certified dehumidifier is fit to quickly and effectively absorb moisture with minimal energy consumption in medium to large rooms, which won’t rack up your energy bill.
- SUPER EASY TO USE - Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, where it'll then shut-off automatically. For added convenience, the dehumidifier quietly collects water into the slide-out internal bucket or can discharge the water via connecting a garden hose (not included) through the side of the cabinet.
We also like this product from Fridge Master. Although rated 50 pints under the AHAM standards, it removes up to 70 pints per day under normal summer conditions. More importantly, it’s designed to keep humidity levels between 30% and 80% RH. The built-in humidistat makes it easy to select your desired humidity levels, though.
It’s very easy to use. After plugging it in, set the humidistat and allow the unit to run until the tank is full. You don’t have to worry about water overflow. An automatic shutoff feature cuts off power to the unit when the tank is almost full. An LED indicator will also light up to alert you. Simply detach the tank and empty it in the sink.
Alternatively, you can use the continuous drain option by connecting a garden hose to the outlet on the side of the cabinet. The hose is sold separately. The built-in pump effortlessly drains the water as the dehumidifier runs.
This dehumidifier is Energy Star certified for energy efficiency and comes with a 16.3-pint water collection bucket. It also boasts a 24-hour timer and an Auto Fry mode.
- Manual or continuous drain
- Features built-in drain pump
- Caster wheels and retractable handles
- Ideal for up to 4,500 square feet
- Drain hose sold separately
8. Yaufey PD221DE 4,500 Sq. Ft. Home Dehumidifier for Basements with Continuous Drain
- 4,500 Sq. Ft LARGE ROOM DEHUMIDIFIER. Yaufey dehumidifier is designed to remove up to 70 pints of moisture per day (under 95°F,85%RH condition). The energy-efficient home dehumidifier ideal for bedroom, basement, garage, closet, office or any big enclosed space.
- INTELLIGENT DEHUMIDIFIER FOR HOME.With convenient built-in wheels and recessed handles, you can move around Yaufey dehumidifier easily.The low-noise design will get you far away from the disturbing noise when sleeping or studying. 24-hour timer is programmed to suit your lifestyle and save energy costs.
- SAFE AND EASY TO USE DEHUMIDIFIER. Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, let the dehumidifier run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, when it will then shut off automatically. For added convenience, there’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining with 6.56 Ft hose included and the water tank with 0.92 Gallon (3.5 Liter) capacity.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY AIR QUALITY. Yaufey powerful dehumidifier can easily control the home humidity within the range of 35% to 80%. Featuring a washable filter and a swing mode, our 70 pints dehumidifier achieves maximum moisture removal and odor reduction easily around your home.
- WORRY-FREE DEHUMIDIFIER . All of Yaufey Dehumidifiers are covered with 30-Days Money Back Guarantee, 12-month free replacement and lifetime support. You can try our dehumidifier without hesitation. Any further issue or questions, please contact us and we will reply to you within 12 hours and solve the problem.
Finally, this unit from Yaufey is one of the most affordable 70-pint dehumidifiers you can find today for those on a budget. At just over $200, it’s five times cheaper than the Model 1830Z Aprilaire, for example. However, it still goes about its job very diligently. The manufacturer recommends it for spaces between 3,000 and 4,500 square feet.
It’s also a very attractive dehumidifier. The sleek, compact design catches the eye from afar, and the clean white finish fits most decors without a hitch. The unique handles make it easy to move the dehumidifier from one application to the next.
It also boasts rolling caster wheels so that you can roll it around conveniently. It keeps humidity levels between 35% and 80% RH, though the onboard humidistat allows you to set the actual desired humidity level.
There’s a lot more to like about this dehumidifier. The 3.5-liter tank features an auto-shutoff function that cuts off power to prevent overflow when the tank is full. Alternatively, you can choose to use the automatic, continuous hose drain method.
A built-in pump makes it all possible. It’s also a very quiet dehumidifier at about 48dB and features washable filters to keep your indoor air clean and healthy.
Every purchase is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You also get a 12-month free replacement warranty.
- Powerful at 70 PPD
- Ideal for rooms up to 4,500 square feet
- Auto defrost and auto restart
- 12-month replacement warranty
- No remote control
- Drain hose sold separately
What does the dehumidifier capacity mean? Dehumidifier capacity (pints per day) refers to the amount of moisture the dehumidifier can remove over 24 hours. 2.11 pints are equivalent to a liter.
Which model would minimize operating costs? An Energy Star-rated model. Energy Star-certified appliances are rigorously tested to ensure that they waste as little energy as possible. Most of the power drawn goes to good use.
Whole-house vs. multiple smaller humidifiers; which is better for a large space? A whole-house dehumidifier would be the most cost-effective solution. Even maintenance is easier when you’re dealing with just one appliance.
Are dehumidifiers noisy? Not necessarily. Although dehumidifiers produce some sound when operating, the majority won’t make so much noise to disturb your peace. Very few are rated above 52 decibels, which is about the sound of a fridge.
What’s a drain hose? The drain hose is a special pipe that you can attach to your dehumidifier to drain the water collected in the condensate bucket. Although most manufacturers provide the hose or require that you buy a specified model, most dehumidifiers can also work with a regular garden hose.
A 70-pint dehumidifier with a pump can be a great investment if shopping for a dehumidifier for the crawlspace or basement. The right 70 PPD unit may even serve the entire house, especially a ducted model.
If you’re thinking about possible whole-home dehumidification solutions, you should consider getting one. Make sure it has a drain pump, though. It makes your job a tad easier.