Although the air conditioner is the primary tool used to fight the sweaty summer weather, nearly all homes also use dehumidification during the sunny months to remove excess moisture.
Often, we buy an AC and later bring in a dehumidifier to dry things up. The two can run together or separately depending on indoor climate conditions. Now you can find AC + dehumidifier combos, so you don’t have to buy a dehumidifier separately!
We’ll discuss how to pick the best air conditioner dehumidifier combo shortly. But first, a quick review of some of the best combo units.
Best Air Conditioner Dehumidifier Comparison Table
Some of the factors we considered when picking these units include cooling capacity, dehumidification capacity, and functions (such as heating and fan-only operation). We also prioritized ease of use and affordability.
Why do you need both an AC and a dehumidifier in the summer?
You need both an AC and a dehumidifier during the summer because the sunny months are warm air that carries a lot of moisture.
You likely already know that the summer weather can be scorching hot. Last year, Phoenix, Arizona, had its hottest month ever, with an average temperature of 99.1˚F.
In California, temperatures were as high as 130˚F in places such as Death Valley. It would help if you had a reliable air conditioner to address these sweltering conditions. Otherwise, issues such as heat stroke aren’t far-fetched.
Warm air contains a lot more water molecules than cool air. Why? It’s a little complicated. But, it has something to do with the energy level of the water particles.
When air is warmed, molecules in the air are warmed too. This gives them more energy. When water molecules in the air are energized, they are less likely to condense. Water particles that are less likely to condense tend to be more concentrated than those likely to condense.
This partly explains why it gets sweatier as indoor (or even outdoor) temperatures rise. Arming yourself with a dehumidifier is the surest way to fight the excess humidity. This is especially important if you want to air condition your basement and other rooms in your home.
Advantages of an AC-Dehumidifier Combo
First off, having the two together or separately allows you to fight excess heat and moisture in the home during the hot months. Excess heat can cause a range of health issues, including heat stroke and fainting. Cardiovascular and respiratory issues are also common.
Meanwhile, excess humidity promotes the growth of mold and mildew in the home. This can lead to respiratory diseases. Excess moisture can also create dampness which isn’t ideal for your books and furniture.
Getting the two (AC and dehumidifier) in one unit is beneficial in the following ways;
- Reduced purchase costs: It’s cheaper to buy an AC + dehumidifier combo than purchasing the two appliances separately. Typically, you’ll save up to $100.
- Reduced maintenance costs: It’s also cheaper to maintain one combo device than two separate appliances.
- Reduced clutter: Heating and cooling appliances aren’t clutter. But when you have too many of them around the home, it becomes a problem. Purchasing a combo unit rather than two separate devices saves a bit of space while doing away with the extra wires and cables.
Factors to Consider when Shopping for an AC-Dehumidifier Combo
You need to consider several factors when choosing an AC + Dehumidifier combo, from size to coverage and wattage to voltage. However, we always stress the following four considerations;
- AC Type: Nearly all AC + Dehumidifier combo units are air conditioners with a dehumidifier function. As such, the first thing you must consider is the type of AC you need. Do you want a window AC, portable AC, wall AC, or mini-split?
- AC capacity: Air conditioner capacity is measured in British Thermal Units. You need about 12,000 BTU for a small 250-350 square foot home (once you factor in insulation and other relevant factors). Otherwise, consider getting 20 BTU per square foot.
- Dehumidifier capacity: Dehumidification capacity is measured in gallons/pints per hour/day. One gallon is equivalent to 8.0 pints. You need to remove about 30 pints (about 4.0 gallons) of moisture from a medium-sized 500 square-foot room on a typical day of heating.
- Extra functions: Most AC units that double as dehumidifiers also tend to have a few other functions or valuable modes. Two functions that come to mind are heating and fan. If you can find a unit with all four, i.e., AC + Heater + Fan + Dehumidifier, that would be a valuable investment.
Should you run a dehumidifier and air conditioner at the same time? According to the Department of Energy, it’s best to use the dehumidifier + fans when it’s only mildly hot, the AC alone when it’s a little too hot, and the AC + dehumidifier when it’s scorching hot.
What is the significance of the dehumidifier mode of an air conditioner? The dehumidifier mode helps remove excess moisture from the home when it becomes sweaty inside the house. It can work alone or alongside the AC mode.
Can a dehumidifier be used as an air conditioner? Unfortunately, no. Dehumidifiers cannot work as air conditioners. An air conditioner removes hot air from the home, leaving your rooms feeling cool and refreshing. Dehumidifiers only remove excess moisture thus may not significantly lower temperatures in the home.
Are portable air conditioners also dehumidifiers? Not necessarily. Portable air conditioners are designed primarily to extract heat from the home and dump it outside, leaving the indoors cool and comfortable. The good news is that most portable air conditioners have a “Dry Mode” that turns the appliance into a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture out of the home.
Do I need to rent a portable air conditioner and dehumidifier when running? Yes. Portable air conditioner + dehumidifier combos absorb a lot of stale air and moisture from your home. This stale air and excess moisture must go somewhere to create room for fresh, cool air. Venting provides a means to dump it outside.
Best Air Conditioner Dehumidifier Combo
1. NewAir AC-14100H Portable Air Conditioner and Heater
- [Personal AC] Portable air conditioner and heater covers up to 525 square feet.
- [Features] This unit comes with an automatic cooling mode, programmable timer, and a remote control.
- [Multiple Options] All-in-one air conditioner, fan, dehumidifier and heater works all year round.
- [Quality Material] This portable air conditioner is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day.
- [Advanced Design] Intuitive interface and remote control make it easy to set modes and timer.
- [Cooling Tank] Integrated cooling tank maximizes air conditioning efficiency.
To kick us off is this immaculate portable air conditioner from New Air – the model AC14100H. It’s a lovely AC, boasting a compact design and made from durable materials. The white body with a blue top means it fits most modern decors seamlessly. You’ll also appreciate that it comes with caster wheels for mobility.
However, the charming looks are just the first in a long list of qualities that make the New Air model AC-14100H an excellent AC + humidifier combo. This unit is also extremely powerful for a portable air conditioner. At 14,000 BTU (8,500 BTU DOE), it’s more than sufficient for medium-sized rooms, up to 525 square feet.
Control is straightforward. The intuitive onboard control panel contains all the controls and functions to change and adjust cooling and dehumidification settings. Alternatively, you can also turn to the remote control. A programmable timer and intuitive operating modes make it even easier to set the unit to the desired temperature settings.
Additional features of the AC14100H include the heating feature (built-in heat pump) and fan-only mode. This makes it valuable all year round. The window venting kit sets up with ease, while an integrated cooling tank keeps the compressor cool to maximize efficiency.
- Powerful 14,000 BTU AC and heater
- Integrated cooling tank
- Powerful fan mode, up to 250 CFM
- Auto evaporative system
- 1-year warranty
- No smart/app control
2. Senville 9,000 BTU SENA-09HF/Z Energy Star Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- DC Inverter Technology for Ultra High Efficiency and Performance
- High Quality Design for an Attractive Appearance, Powerful Performance, and Dependable Durability
- Uses 208-230V, ETL Intertek Approved, Energy Star Certified, AHRI Certified
- Includes Easy Installation Kit with 16 Ft. Copper Line Set
- Whisper Technology for Quiet Operation, Great for Bedrooms, Additions, Living Rooms and Commercial Applications.
The Senville SENA-09HF isn’t the most powerful air conditioner. So, it doesn’t make a great option when shopping for an AC for a large room.
However, if you’re dealing with a small to medium-sized room, within 250 Sq. Ft. to 350 Sq. Ft., where dehumidification is also needed, it would be one of the best acquisitions.
Engineered for ultra-quiet operations, the AURA Series air conditioner is an ultra-high-efficiency unit. It’s rated a staggering 25 SEER. For context, most of the units on this list are rated under 20 SEER. It arrives with a fully pre-charged 16-foot line set. A wiring harness is also included for the installation. However, you need professional installation.
Remember that it also functions as a heat pump to add supplemental heat to your home during the cold season. The heat pump is also rated 14,000 BTU and is very efficient, too, at 11.2 HSPF4.
It continues to release heat even at temperatures as low as -22˚F. Better still, the mini-split automatically switches from cooling to heating if you set it to Auto-Switch mode.
The built-in Wi-Fi receptor means you can control the SENA-09HF from the comfort of your smartphone. The AC is backed by a 2-year parts warranty and a 7-year compressor warranty.
- 4-in-1 AC, heater, fan, and dehumidifier
- Remote and smart/Wi-Fi control
- Hushed operation
- Ultra-high efficiency at 25 SEER
- 7-year compressor warranty
- Relatively high price
- Best for small rooms
3. Klimaire KSIF24-H215-S 24,000 BTU 15 SEER Ductless Mini Split
- Klimaire KSIR030-H215-S Ductless mini-split system includes an Indoor Fan Coil, Outdoor Condenser, Remote Control, 15 ft. Installation Kit, and Wall Bracket. Cools and heats an area up to 1,900 sq. Ft
- True zone control 4 in 1 system: heating, cooling, fan and dehumidification modes. Turbo function, multi-speed fan, Oscillating fan, self diagnosis and follow me other functions available with your Klimaire unit
- DC Inverter technology extends the heating and cooling capacity at lower ambient conditions down to 5 F/-15 C and provides up to 30-percent power savings
- Refrigerant Leak detection monitoring (rld) gives the ability to alert to prevent damages to Compressor and other vital parts of the system
- Unlimited Free Tech Support. 5 Year Manufacturer Warranty
The model KSIF-H215 is another excellent ductless mini-split to consider when shopping for an air conditioner with a built-in dehumidifier. First off, it’s one of the most potent air conditioners on this list at 24,000 BTU. The two-ton capacity makes it an excellent choice for slightly larger rooms, up to 1,500 square feet.
More importantly, it’s another 4-in-1 system that comprises an air conditioner, heat pump, dehumidifier, and fan – all in one unit. A key advantage of 4-in-1 home comfort systems is that they are useful all –year round. The heat pump is also rated at 24,000 BTU and operates in conditions as cold as -5˚F.
Other key attractions of the model KSIF24-H215-S from Klimaire include the double-cam twin rotary compressor for variable compressor speeds and powerful, long-range air discharge.
Variable compressor designs reduce power consumption while ensuring maximum appliance life. The horizontal swing function enables long-range air discharge.
The three fan speeds for ultimate comfort, a turbo mode for fast operation, and refrigerant leak detection for your peace of mind are other features that easily attract customers. The unit arrived with a pre-charged 16-foot line set. It’s covered by a 1-year parts warranty and a 5-year compressor warranty.
- Features auto-clean function
- Refrigerant Leak Detection (RLD)
- Enjoy Turbo and Sleep modes
- Follow-me remote function
- Wall brackets sold separately
- No smart/app control
4. MIDEA EasyCool Window Air Conditioner – Cooling, Dehumidifier, Fan
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Midea's 3-in-1 technology combines air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan-only modes that work together to increase the comfort of your home
- FAST COOLING – This 6,000 BTU model provides fast and efficient cooling and dehumidification ideal for rooms up to 250 square feet. Cools down your home, office or apartment for maximum comfort.
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – An intuitive design remote control and a LED digital display panel will make it easy to change all the settings from across the room.
- EASY INSTALLATION - This window unit installs easily without significant modification to the existing window frame (23-36" x 15.5"). All mounting accessories (23-36" x 14 ") are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Please see included instruction manual for further detail
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
- In the event of power loss, AC automatically restarts with the latest temperature settings.
- LED remote lets you program your unit and access unique modes like EcoSave and SleepWell.
We’ve also included a window air conditioner for homeowners who want a more permanent air conditioning solution without boring a hole through their walls.
It’s a 3-in-1 functionality appliance that also functions as a dehumidifier and fan. It’s also a reasonably potent unit at 8,000 BTU, making it a good choice for rooms in the 250 Sq. Ft. to 350 Sq. Ft. range.
Several things stand out about the MIDEA EasyCool model MAW08R1BWT. First off, it’s very easy to install. You don’t need to modify the existing window significantly.
Also, all the necessary mounting accessories are included. The only tool required but not included in the screwdriver. An installation manual is also included for further guidance.
Additionally, it boasts easy controls and several operating modes for user convenience. The LCD control panel accessible from the front carries all the settings, including a 24-hour timer and speed controls.
You can also monitor the filter settings from the LCD display. A check filter light lights up when it’s time to replace the filter. The two main modes are Eco Energy Saver mode and Sleep mode.
Unfortunately, window air conditioners aren’t the most silent of air conditioners. So expect a little bit of “noise” from the unit. It is rated 52 decibels for the lowest speed level. Otherwise, it’s a perfect AC + dehumidifier combo. It’s best for windows from 23-36 inches x 15.5 inches.
- Easy to install window AC
- Includes 24-hour timer
- Energy Star certified
- One-year manufacturer warranty
- A bit loud at 52+ dB
- No smart controls
5. Black + Decker BPACT14HWT Portable Air Conditioner with Heat
- PORTABLE A/C HEATER COMBO UNIT - Our 7,500 BTU DOE (14,000 BTU ASHRAE) dual compact air conditioner & heater will keep you cool & comfortable during the summer, & toasty warm in the winter. An adjustable fan speed cools the air up to 55°F, and heats up to 81°F
- HEATS & COOLS MOST ROOMS - This portable heat & AC unit provides steady & fast cooling and heating for rooms up to 350 sq. ft. It’s the perfect air conditioner & heater for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, garages, or living rooms
- SIMPLE & QUICK TO INSTALL – Since it’s easy to move around with handles & castor wheels, just roll it into any room with an accessible double hung or sliding window. Attach the included hose (4’ 11” long) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN – The simple remote control & top-mounted LED display with 24-hour timer allow you to precisely control the air temperature. To clean the filter, just slide it out twice a month, rinse it thoroughly under running water, & put it back
- 4-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY – Combining 4 energy efficient modes in one small unit (17.1 x 13.8 x 28.1 in.), the COOL, FAN, HEAT & DEHUMIDIFY settings meet all of your home cooling, heating, & ventilation needs. SLEEP, MAX & AIR SWING functions control airflow
The rest of the products on this list are portable AC + dehumidifier units, which makes sense because, for an AC/dehumidifier combo, portable units are the most preferable.
This option from Black and Decker is a 14,000 BTU AC designed for bedrooms, kitchens, living areas, or even office duties. It’s also extremely compact at 17.1 x 13.8 x 28.1 inches, thus doesn’t take up too much space on the floor.
The handles make it easy to move around. You can also roll it around on the caster wheels. However, make sure to install it properly before you commence usage. The included hose (14 feet and 11 inches long) helps vent stale air outside the house. A window adapter is included as well as a water drain hose and panel hose connectors.
The main features of the model BPACT14HWT include the 24-hour timer, Sleep mode, and three fan speeds (Low, Medium, and High). An Auto-Fan setting in cooling mode automatically adjusts the fan for the best balance of fanning and air conditioning. Remember that this unit also functions as a supplemental heat source during cold weather.
The built-in reusable air filters ensure that the air entering your home is clean and free of disease-causing organisms. At the same time, the self-evaporating operation eliminates standing water to prevent mold.
- It’s a sleek, modern-looking AC
- 4-in-1 design with heater and dehumidifier
- Installation kit included
- 1-year parts, 5-year compressor warranty,
- No Wi-Fi/smart control
6. De’Longhi Pinguino 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner, Heater, Dehumidifier, Fan
- WIFI AND SMART SPEAKER COMPATIBLE: Create your ultimate comfort zone anytime, from anywhere with De’Longhi’s PAC app available on your smart phone, tablet or with your smart speakers at home
- SAVE ENERGY: By operating the unit remotely and cooling only the room you’re in (up to 500 sq. ft. ), you can raise your household thermostat and lower your energy bills
- MULTI-FUNCTION FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT: 4-in-1 unit features cooling, dehumidifying and a fan as well as a heat mode to take the chill out of cool nights and mornings
- THE BEST COMFORT LEVEL: Industry-exclusive Real Feel technology provides an unmatched level of comfort, securing the ideal balance between temperature and humidity
- PORTABLE COMFORT: Sets up in minutes. Caster wheels and integrated handles allow you to move it easily from room to room
One thing you’ll quickly realize about portable air conditioners is that the prices vary a lot. One of the priciest units is the De-Longhi model PACEL276HGRFK, aka the Pinguino.
Most vendors are selling the Pinguino at well over $700, which tells a lot about its quality considering that most comparable AC units cost under $350.
First off, the 10,000 BTU Pinguino is the first-ever domestic portable air conditioner to meet the stringent energy efficiency class A++ ratings. This means that it’s the most energy-efficient air conditioner in its class. Additionally, it’s powered by R290 propane gas, a natural refrigerant gas with a very low environmental impact. It’s also fairly quiet at 53 decibels (in full speed).
Other qualities to love about the Pinguino include the zero condensate system that ensures you never have to empty the reservoirs and the built-in 32 liters/hour dehumidifier. The advanced REAL FEEL technology balances between temperature and humidity to ensure the most comfortable indoor climate.
Caster wheels make it easy to move the unit from one room to another and one application to the next. It also has integrated handles for greater mobility. This unit is designed for rooms up to 500 square feet and functions as an AC, heater, dehumidifier, and fan.
- 4-in-1 function, with heater and fan
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Wi-Fi smart with app control
- Includes BioSilver filter
- Installation kit included
- Most expensive portable AC on this list
7. Rollibot Rollicool Portable Air Conditioner w/App and Alexa Voice Control
- [ QUICK COOLING FOR SMALL ROOMS ] Compact portable AC unit delivers fast, targeted COOL to rooms up to 275 sq ft. Can pull up to 40L of moisture from the air in dehumidify mode.
- [ 3 PROGRAMMABLE COMFORT MODES ] Cool, Dehumidify and (oscillating) Fan with programmable timer. Ideal cooling solution for any small space (bedroom, office, RV, dorm, etc).
- [ TOTAL COMFORT CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE ] Works with Alexa Voice Commands, Bluetooth and smartphone. Remote control included. Support for dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 & 5GHz bands).
- [ EASY INSTALLATION & PORTABILITY ] The streamlined design installs in minutes. Includes window kit and 360° caster wheels that let you take your cool from room to room with ease.
- [ SIMPLE MAINTENANCE ] Easy access to removable and reusable air filters that can be cleaned in your dishwasher. Uses environmentally friendly refrigerant.
Suppose you desire a portable air conditioner + dehumidifier combo, but the De’Longhi above is beyond your budget. In that case, the Rollibot Rollicool is just as powerful (at 10,000 BTU) while costing less than half the price.
The 360-degree gliding caster wheels make it just as easy to move around as the best portable air conditioners, and the streamlined, compact design is quite attractive.
The COOL 208-20 is a 56-pound air conditioner designed for smaller rooms up to 275 square feet. It also boasts a timer function so that you can program the cooling for greater convenience. A washable air filter built into the unit cleans indoor-bound air to eliminate dust, dirt, and other unwanted particles.
However, what truly stands out about the Cool 208-20 are the smart features. More people are moving to smart home systems. The Cool 208-20 is Wi-Fi compatible.
Besides the onboard LCD control panel, it allows for smartphone control via an app. It also connects to other smart devices via Bluetooth and can take commands via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
There are two issues with the Cool 208-20, though. First, the low coverage makes it best suited to small applications such as study rooms and small bedrooms. Secondly, it doesn’t have a heating function.
- Attractive, modern design
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth control
- Includes built-in washable filters
- Doubles as fan and dehumidifier
- Very affordable
- No heating mode
- Best for small applications
8. SereneLife SLPAC Portable Air Conditioner
- HANDY AND PORTABLE: the serene life portable air conditioner system features a lightweight, handy, sleek body design intended to be used in the bedroom, living room or garage at home or office; It features rolling wheels for easy portability
- 3 OPERATING MODES: The compact floor AC Indoor Cooler conditioning unit features a simple electric plug in operation and has 3 modes cooling, dehumidifier and fan; Also features automatic swing mode W/ moving wind vent for maximum air circulation
- BUILT-IN DEHUMIDIFIER: you don’t only get the cooling effect of the portable AC but also helps reduce humidity levels, a huge financial and space saving!
- REMOTE Control: Features a digital touch button control panel which includes the power, mode, timer, temperature and fan speed settings; Other functions such as unit selector (Celsius / Fahrenheit), sleep key can be adjusted using the Included remote control
- 12,000 BTU Cooling Power: With 1150W rated Power and 12000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 7,000 BTU (SACC) cooling power, the cold air can cover a room up to 450+ square feet; Air flow is rated at 290 M3/hr, moisture removal/dehumidifier at 1. 8 liters/hour W/ an operating noise level of only 56 dB
Finally, the SereneLife model SLPAC12.5 is a moderately-priced portable air conditioner (with a dehumidifier). It’s rated 12,000 BTU (cooling) and removes 1.8 liters/hour (dehumidification). Though you can use it for larger or smaller applications, the manufacturer recommends it for 350 Sq. Ft. to 450 Sq. Ft. applications.
The unit arrives complete with the window installation kit. But what you’ll love even more are the numerous operating modes and convenient controls. These include an automatic swing mode with a moving wind vent for maximum air circulation and a fan-only mode for casual cooling on the not-so-hot days. The fan operates at up to 290 CFM.
The LCD panel displays the time, temperature, and fan speed adjustment settings. It has three fan speed settings, i.e., Low, Medium, and High. If you’re not a fan of constantly adjusting the thermostat, you can set the timer (for 24 hours) and let it be. A 4.3-foot power cord allows you to position the AC for maximum airflow throughout the room.
The SereneLife SLPAC isn’t the quietest of portable air conditioners (at 56 decibels). However, it compensates for it by offering you an attractive build that seamlessly fits most modern decors.
It’s also remote controlled and allows you to choose Celsius or Fahrenheit on the control panel. A 1-year warranty backs the entire appliance.
- Portable with rolling wheels
- Includes dehumidifier and fan
- Convenient remote control
- 1-year warranty
- Slightly loud
- No heating feature
When shopping for an air conditioner this cooling season, it would be wise to consider a unit with a built-in dehumidifier. It may cost slightly more than a plain AC (without a dehumidifier), but it’s a lot more affordable than buying an AC and dehumidifier separately. Also, having one appliance rather than two leaves more room in the house and lessens your maintenance and repair duties.