Maintaining the perfect temperature level in your bedroom can be a challenge. When the hot summer months kick in, the heat can be almost unbearable if you don’t have a cooling system in place, interfering with the quality of your sleep. That’s why you need the best air conditioner for bedroom.
Most air conditioners have one job (keep the room cool), but finding one that suits your bedroom isn’t an easy task. You have to consider a lot of factors, including the size of the room, the number of people who will occupy the space, energy efficiency, and maintenance.
Once you have the answers to those questions, then it’s easy to find exactly what you need. But again, there are numerous AC brands and models on the market.
However, you don’t have to spend a lot of time trying to find the best air conditioner for small bedroom. Here, you’ll find both portable and window air conditioners for bedrooms. If your room doesn’t have a window, I’d encourage you to check the best air conditioners for rooms without windows.
7 Best Air Conditioner For Bedroom
1. Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner for Bedroom
It’s only logical that some people will prefer a portable air conditioner for the bedroom. The flexibility is invaluable. You can easily move the AC to other rooms and new applications.
You also don’t need to bore through the wall or struggle with the complexities of window installation. If you’re one of these people, the model ARC-14S from Whynter would be a superb acquisition.
It’s a powerful (up to 253 CFM), impressively eco-friendly, and high energy-efficient portable AC that uses the green R-32 refrigerant and lead-free RoHS compliant components.
The patented auto drain technology that uses and recycles moisture collected during the cooling process to produce additional cool air makes it even more efficient. You’ll also appreciate that it has three-speed levels for optimal convenience.
Although primarily an air conditioner, the unit also doubles as a dehumidifier and fan for maximum indoor comfort. The dehumidifier function removes moisture at 71 pints/day.
A window kit is included and an exhaust hose (60 inches), and the necessary hose connectors. Caster wheels provide mobility while the carbon filter and washable pre-filter ensure healthy, germ-free indoor air.
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Very ecofriendly with R-32 refrigerant
- Upgraded plastic window kit included
- Includes carbon filter and pre-filter
- 1-year parts, 3-year compressor warranty
- No warranty outside the US
- It’s a little loud at about 56 decibels
2. PIONEER WYS009G-19 Wall Mount Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump
Pioneer is one of the best brands that produce ductless air conditioners. Their models are affordable, efficient, and have many positive reviews on Amazon.
PIONEER WYS009G-19 provides 9,000 BTU of variable heating and cooling to cover rooms between 200 and 400 square. It’s the perfect quiet air conditioner for bedrooms, home additions, or bonus rooms.
Apart from cooling, this unit will remove humidity from your room thanks to the dry mode that removes up to 50 pints of excess moisture per day. The three fan speeds are also included to help you decide when to cool, heat, and turn on the fan only.
Energy efficiency is an important factor to consider, especially if you want to invest in the best air conditioner for bedroom. For this unit, the 19 SEER rating and 9. 5 HSPF efficiency are not the only features that make it energy efficient. It’s also built with an efficient rotary compressor and inverter technology that limits energy usage.
Since the variable rotary compressor is built in the outdoor unit, PIONEER WYS009G-19 is one of the quietest mini-split systems. It has other noise-reducing features, including a sleep function.
The remote control allows you to set your room temperature, change between modes, and adjust your fan speed. A programmable timer and Angled AirFlow will also help cool specific room zones at particular times of the day.
- Quiet operation
- Space-saving design
- Cools, heats, dehumidifiers, and distributes air using the fan
- Easy to set up and comes with all the needed parts for installation.
- An efficient rotary compressor and inverter technology for improved efficiency.
- Maintenance cost is high
- It’s not ideal for large rooms or those with high ceilings.
- Short cycling and energy wastage are a common problem if not installed correctly
3. Senville SENL-09CD Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
The Seville SENL-09CD is a perfect alternative to PIONEER WYS009G-19. It’s almost $100 cheaper and would be the best option if you’re on a budget.
This mini-split offers maximum comfort to your room all year round. No worries about high electricity bills, thanks to its inverter compressor that controls the motor speed to modulate cooling capacity, limiting excessive energy usage.
If your room feels a little muggy during air conditioning, you can turn on the dry mode to remove excess humidity from the room. During those days when heating or cooling isn’t necessary, you can use the multiple-speed fan to distribute air into the room.
Since it comes with remote control, it’s easy to use it from any location of your room.
With its multi-fan speed, you can choose between various fan speeds, high, medium, low, or automatic. You have the option of selecting a setting for energy conservation at the ECO mode setting.
Should your air conditioner lose power, it will automatically restart with the former settings after power resumes. This implies that even if you were not around, you would still find your home cool or warm enough to spend time there.
- Easy to use
- Offers comfort all year round
- Restarts automatically
- Multi-functional, in that it can be a cooler, heater, and dehumidifier among other functions
- The composure is quite loud
4. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Window Air Conditioner for Bedroom
If you’re looking for the best window air conditioner for bedroom, try Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Window Air Conditioner. It’s affordable, energy-star rated, and has a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. It’s made for a coverage area up to 150 square feet.
If you air condition your bedroom and it starts to feel a little muggy, this unit has an inbuilt dehumidifier that removes up to 1.1 pints per hour. If it’s not hot enough to condition, you can still achieve a steady circulation of fresh air with the fan-only mode.
Energy efficiency is something that you should not compromise when looking for an air conditioner. The good thing about this window AC is that while it’s not energy star rated, it has an EER of 11.1 plus other energy-saving features, including a low power start-up, and uses a standard 115V electrical outlet.
Overall this is a small window AC for small rooms. It won’t do a great job if you have a larger room, but there are other options. Also, it doesn’t come with remote control, so you’ll have to use the mechanical controls.
- Works quietly
- Conserves energy
- Stylish design
- Has several programmable settings
- Can use a lot of energy on relatively large rooms
5. MIDEA U Inverter Window Air Conditioner, 8,000 BTU with Smart Controls and Alexa
The revolutionary U-shape window air conditioner design has become very popular recently. It provides the same excellent air conditioning characteristic of window AC units without the open or close dilemma. The unique drop-in install method means you can open your window to enjoy fresh air even with the air conditioner installed.
The highly energy-efficient MIDEA model MAW08V1QWT is one of the few window ACs that deploy this innovative technology. It’s 35% more efficient than comparable models and was the first window AC to obtain the Energy Star Most Efficient 2020 certification.
It also excels in noise performance convenient control. The U-shape helps block the noise out, guaranteeing 42 dB or lower noise levels. Meanwhile, control is via the intuitive control panel on the front part of the indoor-facing component, though you can also use the included remote. Alternatively, install the MideaAir App (available in the Android and iOS stores). It also supports voice control via Alexa and Google Assistant.
The appliance installs with unrivaled ease. Support brackets to support the unit with the window open or closed are included. It works for single or double-hung windows between 22-36 inches and at least 13.7 inches high. A one-year limited manufacturer warranty backs it.
- It’s an attractive, compact AC
- Powerful 8,000 BTU cooling
- Intuitive U-shaped window design
- Remote and voice control
- 1-year limited warranty
- Annoying key beep sounds
- App setup can be a little confusing
6. Haier ESAQ406T 22-inch Window Air Conditioner Serenity Series, 6,000 BTU
If you’re not a fan of the U-shape window design, this next model from Haier sports the standard window air conditioner design while offering excellent cooling. It’s a 6,000 BTU air conditioner with a compressor blanket for reduced noise, resulting in ultra-quiet operation of only about 44 dB on the Low setting.
It also boasts a cross-flow fan for stronger, smoother airflow and features a dual-motor design for greater air control. Other features that make it an excellent choice for bedroom use include the Sleep Mode designed to provide necessary air conditioning at ultra-low noise levels and the washable air filters to remove foreign particles for healthy indoor air. A “Clean Filter” reminder sounds like an alarm when it’s time to clean the filter (which is easily accessible from the front).
An energy-saver mode for increased savings, an auto-cool mode for hands-free cooling, a fan mode, and a dehumidifier mode are the other notable features. In the dehumidifier mode, the unit removes moisture at 1.5 pints/hour to eliminate condensation and prevent mold and odors. A full-function remote (included) with LED display, button lock, and light makes climate control easy.
The 4-way air conditioner (up/down and left to right) arrives with a 6-foot LCDI power cord with an A/5-15P grounding plug and uses the standard 115V power outlet. One-year parts and 5-year sealed system warranty means you’re set for worry-free use.
- It’s a powerful 2,000 BTU AC
- Doubles up as humidifier and fan
- Included ultra-quiet Sleep Mode
- Convenient remote control
- Reliable warranty, up to 5 years
- No app/smart control
- Best for small rooms, up to 200 Sq. Ft.
- Requires professional installation
7. Emerson Quiet Kool 230V, 10,000V Wall Air Conditioner
Finally, this list would be incomplete with a wall air conditioner. Designed for rooms up to 450 square feet, this model EATE10RD2T from Emerson would be a good option.
It’s a compact 22.3 x 24.2 x 14.5-inch unit system that installs through the wall. The weight is a little high at over 80 pounds. But you don’t have to worry about that because it rests inside the wall.
A couple of things stand out about the wall AC. For one, it doubles up as a supplemental heater, providing up to 10,600 BTU of additional heat for the cold nights. Additionally, it also functions as a dehumidifier and fan. If you have condensation issues in your bedroom, these two functions would be invaluable.
The only downside is that it requires 230V electrical wiring as the LCDI NEMA 6-20P plug (4.8-foot cord included) doesn’t use standard outlets. A decorative interior trim kit is included for the installation.
The split air exhaust vents (instead of one) combine with three fan speeds to give you an 8-way airflow system. You can program the operation using the 24-hour timer. Control is via onboard buttons, remote control, or an intuitive phone app. It also uses voice controls. An intelligent Sleep Mode automatically adjusts the settings for sounder sleep.
- Doubles as a heater, dehumidifier, and fan
- Ideal for large bedrooms, up to 450 square feet
- Reasonably quiet for a wall air conditioner (55 decibels)
- 2-year parts, 5-year compressor warranty
- Requires professional installation
- Requires 230V electrical wiring
If you’re short on time, feel free to pick any of the four products above. Otherwise, read on to find out how to identify the best bedroom air conditioner for your needs.
Do you need an AC for your Bedroom?
Absolutely. Like anywhere in the home, the bedroom becomes sweaty and hot during the peak summer weather. Even the biggest fans of the sunny weather will want a way out of these conditions. When used alongside a fan, the air conditioner can help drive out the heat and dehumidify the place to more comfortable levels.
Benefits of Sleeping with Air Conditioner at Night
There are multiple benefits of sleeping with an air conditioner at night. The following are the most apparent advantages;
- Better sleep: Studies show that humans sleep better in temperatures around 65˚F. Considering that average daily temperatures range between 74-76˚F, you can see that we sleep better in colder conditions. An air conditioner can help you achieve the required lower temperatures.
- Less sweating: If you sweat a lot at night, you could undoubtedly do with air conditioning. The need is even greater in the peak summer months when night temperatures rise beyond 100˚F. Air conditioning can reduce sweating by blowing cool air around you.
- Reduces risk of dehydration: One of the main challenges associated with excessive sweating, especially at night when you may not be awake to rehydrate as necessary, is dehydration. You may lose so much water that it affects your internal organs. Dehydration may also affect the skin. Proper air conditioning reduces the risk of dehydration.
- Prevent heatstroke: Though rare, heatstroke is a severe condition and is considered a medical emergency. It often results from milder heat-related illnesses, such as heat cramps, heat syncope, and heat exhaustion. Primarily, it’s caused by extended exposure to high temperatures. You can reduce the risk of heatstroke by investing in a bedroom air conditioner.
Risks of Using an Air Conditioner in your Bedroom at Night
Despite the many benefits, however, sleeping with an air conditioner in your bedroom at night comes with a few challenges that you must keep in mind. These include;
- Over dehumidification: Remember that as well as heat, air conditioners also remove moisture. This isn’t usually a problem if you’re using the right size air conditioner. However, it’s something to keep in mind.
- Noise challenges: Though bedroom air conditioners are designed to be extremely quiet, the vibration of the compressor shell, electric motor vibration, and the noise coming from the rotating fan are ever-present concerns.
Factors to Consider when Choosing an Air Conditioner for the Bedroom
Everyone will ultimately pick a bedroom air conditioner based on personal preferences and the price. However, it’s vital to consider a few factors, especially the following;
Understand AC Types – What Type of Air Conditioner is Best for a Bedroom?
There are many different ways to classify air conditioners. However, the best-known air conditioner types are central, ductless mini splits, window air conditioners, portable air conditioners, and through-the-wall air conditioners.
For bedroom applications, window, mi split models, and portable air conditioners are the best options. Mini-split models are the best choice for energy efficiency, window models are best when considering both efficiency and price, and portable models are great for their mobility and the absence of the often-complex installation process.
Sizing the Air Conditioner: How many BTUs do you need? What size air conditioner do I need for a bedroom?
The rule of thumb is 20 BTUs for every square foot. Therefore, for the average 350-400 square-foot bedroom, you need about 7,000 to 8,000 BTU air conditioners.
However, the actual requirement may vary depending on the ceiling height, exposure to direct sunlight, and insulation quality. Generally, add 10% more BTUs/foot for ceilings above 8.0 feet and bedrooms exposed to direct sunlight. For rooms in shady areas, reduce the BTU by 10%. For insulation, it’s best to call a professional to measure the room’s R-Value.
Where Should You Install an Air Conditioner in the Bedroom?
The best position for wall-installed air handlers (mini split air conditioners) is directly above the bed so that it directs airflow right above you. Window air conditioners would go in the window, while in-wall models are best installed on exterior walls.
For portable air conditioners, place it along the opposite wall with the air louvers facing the bed. This allows for maximum flow of air in the room without creating too much cold around you. It should be at least three feet away from the bed and ideally placed along the wall to prevent dangerous cluttering.
Other Considerations When Buying an AC for your Bedroom
Other factors to consider when shopping for an air conditioner for the bedroom include the noise rating, energy efficiency, ease of control, additional features, and warranty.
The noise rating should be very low, the energy efficiency, measured in EER or SEER, should be as high as possible, and the unit must be very easy to control. Remote and app control, where available, are a big bonus. Concerning functions, a timer and programmable thermostat would go a long way. Some air conditioners even have apps, which further increase convenience. Finally, you want at least a five-year warranty on the compressor unit.
If you’re going to enjoy a healthy and comfortable sleep in the hot summer months, bedroom air conditioning is a must. Proper air conditioning in the bedroom also reduces the risk of dehydration and heatstroke.
Fortunately, you have many bedroom-specific air conditioners choose from, most of them very quiet and aesthetically attractive to fit right in. Make sure it’s energy-efficient too.