The crawl space is a vital area of the home. it raises the lowest habitable area of the home above the base floor elevation (BFE) so that if there’s a flood, then habitable areas of the home wouldn’t be affected. Crawl spaces also allow outside air to circulate beneath the home, thus directly improving indoor air quality.
Unfortunately, the latter point also means that poor air circulation in the crawlspace can compromise indoor air quality throughout the home.
Maintaining proper crawlspace humidity levels is one of the first steps to ensure effective air circulation in the air area and thus promoting comfortable indoor air conditions.
This guide looks at some of the best crawl space dehumidifier with pump and later on discusses how to choose the right dehumidifier for your crawlspace.
You’ve probably thought, at some point, that you could do without a crawlspace dehumidifier; that the whole-house dehumidifier is enough. It’s possible. However, more often than not, you’ll need another dehumidifier located in the crawlspace to achieve the desired indoor comfort.
Let’s find out the benefits of a crawlspace dehumidifier and how to choose the best dehumidifier for your crawlspace.
Why the Crawlspace Gets Very Hot and Humid
The first thing you must understand is that the crawlspace is almost always more humid than the rest of the home. In the summer weather then the living spaces become damp, the crawlspace becomes even damper.
You may even find standing water in the crawlspace when the rest of the home is dry. There are a couple of reasons why;
- Bulk water issues: Bulk water is standing water in the crawlspace. They can result from a variety of issues. Perhaps it’s a plumbing leak. Or, maybe the ground slopes outside the home.
- Groundwater evaporation: If the ground is full of water, then some of that water eventually evaporates into the crawlspace. Sometimes the soil appears dry, but only because the moisture is evaporating into your crawlspace.
- Outdated crawl space vents: Many homeowners install crawlspace vents to improve air circulation in the crawlspace. While it’s a good idea, the vents are often more of a problem than a solution. The vents can raise relative humidity (RH) in your crawl space by up to 22%, resulting in condensation on the walls and even causing pooling water.
Benefits of a Crawl Space Dehumidifier?
For one, a crawlspace dehumidifier resolves and can even prevent the three issues above, i.e., bulk water issue, groundwater evaporation challenges, and condensation due to outdated crawlspace vents.
Additionally, a dehumidifier in your crawlspace can be valuable in the following ways;
- Health benefits
Hot, humid conditions are the perfect breeding ground for dust mites and mold. If you fail to address these issues, you’ll be treating allergies and multiple respiratory illnesses in no time. A dehumidifier in the basement effectively dries the moisture necessary to breed mold, thus saving you from potential health issues.
- Preserve the building’s structural integrity
If the relative humidity in the crawl space exceeds 70%, you’ll most likely witness condensation. Condensation can cause wood rot, which happens easily when liquid water touches wood and there’s at least 28% moisture in the air. If the wood in the crawlspace rots, the crawlspace may not be able to hold the weight of your home anymore.
- Improve energy efficiency in the home
You probably didn’t see this coming. But, yes, high humidity levels in the crawlspace can lead to higher energy bills in the rest of the home? Why? Because when we feel hot and sweaty, the first instinct is to turn on or turn up the air conditioner. Air conditioners are the biggest energy consumers in the home. It’s a lot cheaper to remove the excess moisture using a dehumidifier.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Crawl Space Dehumidifier
- Size/Capacity: Dehumidifiers size is measured in pints per day (PPD), which refers to the amount of moisture in pints the dehumidifier can remove per day. The most common sizes under the new DOE standards are 30-pint, 50-pint, and 70-pint.
- Coverage area: One of the main factors that will determine the ideal dehumidifier size for your application is the area of the room/crawlspace. A larger area requires a higher-capacity dehumidifier. Fortunately, nearly all manufacturers indicate the recommended coverage area for each appliance.
- Manual or continuous/pump drain: Manual drain means you wait for the tank to fill and carry it to the sink for emptying. Since this is a laborious process, the larger dehumidifiers often have a continuous drain feature so you never have to carry the tank to the sink again. There are two continuous drain methods – gravitational and by the pump.
- Convenience features: The best crawlspace dehumidifiers are rugged to withstand the unusual conditions of the crawl area. However, that doesn’t mean you should overlook convenience features. Features to prioritize include self-defrost, auto-restart, presence of humidistat, presence of thermostat, and user-friendly control panel. If you can find one with remote or even smart/app control, that would be great.
- Warranty: Every reasonable crawlspace dehumidifier manufacturer offers a warranty on each product. You want at least a full year on the general parts and three or more years on the condenser.
Best Crawl Space Dehumidifier with Pump – Reviews
The following are eight of the best crawlspace dehumidifiers with a pump. We’ve included products from different manufacturers and with different capacities to make selection easier.
1. ALORAIR Sentinel HD55 Basement/Crawlspace Dehumidifier
- Energy Star Certified Dehumidifier-quickly and effectively removes moisture with less energy than conventional dehumidifiers without racking up the energy bill, saving money. It will be the best crawl space/basement dehumidifier you will ever use. Remove 55 pints per day at AHAM condition，120 Pint at saturation, up to 1,300 sq. ft, fit for any basement, crawl space, storage areas, garage, large room, or commercial use.
- Automatic Defrost-a quick and efficient defrosting process, truly makes the dehumidifier able to work at a low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit), if frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with that build up. It makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, saving energy and making the unit last longer.
- INTERNAL CORROSION PROTECTION-an advanced technology to minimize corrosion and freon leakage, as you know, in dehumidification applications, there is always get oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide; regular coils get corrosion and freon leakage quickly; this innovative feature extends the life of the coils by providing protection against, maintaining the coil’s heat transferability.
- DESIGNED FOR THE MODERN HOME-for the satisfaction, we designed this professional dehumidifier with the modern consumer in mind. All special features make it the best for crawlspace, basement, and commercial applications, auto defrosting system, optional Remote control system, MERV-8 filter, Low-temperature operation, C-ETL, and Energy Star listed.
- 5 Years Warranty-energy efficient & safety tested. Our sentinel HD55 dehumidifier is energy star certified and is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
The best dehumidifiers help reduce excess moisture, protect your home, and protect you from allergies and sleep apnea. The Sentinel HD55 from ALORAIR is one of the best in the business if you’re looking for one such dehumidifier for your basement. It’s a powerful 120 PPD (55 PPD under the new DOE standards) built with durable components for many years of reliable service.
The 19.2 x 12.2 x 13.2-inch dehumidifier weighs about 57 pounds and comes with adjustable feet for balance. Take note that it doesn’t have rolling caster wheels.
It’s an Energy Star-rated appliance that removes moisture with ease without unnecessarily increasing your energy bill. It works best in areas up to 1,300 square feet.
Key features of the dehumidifier include an auto-defrost function that allows it to work down to 36˚F. Most dehumidifiers don’t operate below 41˚F. The auto-defrost feature also guarantees increased equipment life and greater energy savings. It also employs advanced technology to minimize corrosion and Freon leakage.
You don’t have to worry about emptying any tanks. Instead, the unit relies exclusively on the continuous drain feature. The electric drain pump means you can place the unit just about anywhere and it will work without any issues. It is ETL listed and covered by a 5-year warranty.
- Powerful at 120 PPD
- Optional remote control
- Convenient continuous drain
- Energy Star certified
- 5-year limited warranty
- No smart/app control
- A tad expensive
2. COLZER CD70P Crawlspace Commercial Dehumidifier with Pump
- Designed for Crawl Space: With a horizontal design and measuring at only 25.5*21*19.8 inch(L*W*H), this compact dehumidifier is perfect to fit in between floor joists, low-clearance crawl spaces and tight basement areas.
- Commercial Grade Dehumidifie: This COLZER dehumidifier CD120P with 353 CFM airflow rate removes up to 212 pints of moisture from the air per day in saturated conditions and 120 pints per day in AHAM, powerful enough to cover large spaces up to 8,000 square feet.
- Dehumidifier with Pump for Easy Drainage: This commercial dehumidifier with an internal pump will automatically drain the condensate out for low-hassle operation. Plus, the 16-foot long drain hose and 16-foot drain vertical height maximize the flexibility of installation.
- Easy Operation: Simply set the desired humidity value, this crawl space dehumidifier will auto cycle ON/OFF to maintain the desired humidity level, meanwhile auto drain, auto defrost, and auto restart after power outage for the most ever effortless humidity control.
- Designed with Convenience in Mind: The pump is easy to access for maintenance, also designed with gravity drain and the external pump drain option, ensuring worry-free drainage. The air outlet is duct-able and the remote control (BUY SEPARATELY) is compatible, offering great convenience while installation and operation.
The COLZER model CD70P is also a commercial-grade dehumidifier. It’s even more powerful than the ALORAIR unit above at 145 pints per day.
The powerful 206 CFM fan ensures that the dry air is dispersed evenly throughout the crawlspace. Meanwhile, washable filters placed strategically within the dehumidifier block airborne particles from re-entering your home.
The powerful in-built drain pump allows you to continuously drain the unit hassle-free. The required 16-foot drain hose is included so you can drain the unit even though the standards window height.
You’ll need to activate the “Auto Drain” mode from the control panel. Otherwise, it will only drain the water when the tank is full. Other than the pump, it also supports gravity drain.
Other key features of the model CD70P from COLZER include an auto defrost feature that allows it to continue with the dehumidification process even at very low temperatures.
An auto-restart feature resumes dehumidification operations automatically after a power interruption. Above all, it features a valuable duct outlet that you can connect to your exiting home ducting to integrate the dehumidifier into the rest of your HVAC system.
The dehumidifier is recommended for crawlspaces up to 6,000 square feet and has a 24-hour timer in case you wish to program the dehumidification process.
- Simple humidity control
- Auto-defrost and auto-restart
- Easy maintenance and washable filters
- Optional ducting
- It’s expensive
- No smart controls
3. ALORAIR Sentinel HD90 Basement/Crawlspace Dehumidifier
- Energy Star Certified Dehumidifier: Quickly and effectively removes moisture with less energy than conventional dehumidifiers without racking up your energy bill, saving the money. This will be the best crawl space/basement dehumidifier you will ever use. Remove 90 pints per day at AHAM condition, 198 Pint at saturation, up to 2,600 sq. ft, fit for any basement, crawl space, storage areas, garage, large room, or commercial use.
- Automatic Defrost: A quick and efficient defrosting process that truly makes the dehumidifier work at a low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit) if frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with that build up. It makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, saving energy and making the unit last longer.
- INTERNAL CORROSION PROTECTION: An advanced technology to minimize corrosion and freon leakage. As you know, in dehumidification applications, there is always get oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide. Regular coil's get corrosion and freon leakage quickly. This innovative feature extends the life of the coils by providing protection against, maintaining the coil's heat transferability.
- DESIGNED FOR ENERGY SAVING, AlorAir High COP Dehumidifier, an investment in crawl space/basement comfort, can be paid back by a few years' energy savings. You can save up to $250 per year in energy costs with dehumidifiers working for their families! Once you can maintain a consistent RH of 50 %, no need to keep the thermostat at low, uncomfortable temperatures once used to control humidity.
- 5 Years Warranty-energy efficiency & safety tested: Our sentinel HD90 dehumidifier is certified energy star and fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
If you’re a fan of the ALORAAIR brand but have a larger basement, the Sentinel HD90 is a powerful 198-pint dehumidifier that will likely solve your problems.
It’s rated for spaces up to 2,600 square feet (90 pints under the new DOE standards). It’s also rated for many applications, including garages, storage areas, basements, and crawlspaces. Don’t use it in the bathroom, though.
The hose drain features make it easy to empty this dehumidifier. Rather than worry about carrying the tank to the sink every few hours, simply connect the drain hose and watch as the unit empties all the water without further effort on your part.
You can even set it to drain continuously. Better still, you can activate the pump feature to remove the water continuously via raised openings such as the window.
It features an auto-defrost feature for effective moisture removal in ultra-low temperatures and an internal corrosion protection mechanism to ensure a long equipment life. The corrosion prevention technology also helps prevent Freon leakage.
The other notable features are memory restart so that it picks up where it left in case of power interruption, washable MERV-8 filters, and optional remote control.
A 5-year compressor backs the unit’s compressor while the other parts are covered by a 1-year limited warranty.
- Powerful 198 PPD dehumidifier
- Remote control ready
- Continuous drain with pump
- 5-year warranty
- No smart control
- It’s expensive
4. Aprilair 1850Z Pro Dehumidifier, 95-Pint Commercial for up to 5,200 Square Feet
- Monitors and mitigates humidity separate
- Automatic digital controls
- Wi-Fi control
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Another great item from Flora Hydroponics
The Aprilair model 1850Z is a high-capacity dehumidifier designed to help you sold most high-moisture needs around the home. The first thing you need to know is that it’s a ducted dehumidifier.
Ducted units are slightly different from regular dehumidifiers in that they integrate into the rest of your HVAC system via a special duct connector. You’ll need an HVAC professional for the installation.
It’s built to last. The all-metal housing resists dents and can keep the unit going for over a decade. It also features corrosion-resistant aluminum coils for long life or reliable use.
At the same time, it’s also very user-friendly. A built-in humidistat makes it easy to set your preferred humidification levels. It also boasts leveling feet to keep it balanced as it works.
At 95 pints per day, it’s good enough for spaces up to 3,800 square feet. You’ll love that it has MERV-8 washable filters to help purify your indoor air.
Any air that passes through the dehumidifier is rid of 90% plus of the airborne particles, including allergens, dust, and debris. It’s also Energy Star qualified, which tells you everything about its energy efficiency.
This product is made in the USA and backed by perhaps the best warranty on the market. Both the parts and the sealed system are covered by 5-year warranties.
- Large capacity, for up to 3,800 Sq. Ft
- MERV-8 filters improve air quality
- Energy Star certified
- Industry-leading 5-year parts warranty
- No remote control
- It’s a tad pricey
5. MOUNTO MT-80 Commercial 80-Pint Dehumidifier for Crawlspaces
- Dehumidifies areas up to 7,000 square feet; Small, light Xactimate “Large” category dehu – more water removal than units 2–3 times its size!
- 125Pints/Day (71L) @ 90F/90% ;80Pints/Day (45L) @ 80F/60%
- Delivers “Large” dehu performance yet fits where others don’t – crawlspaces, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.
- Control panel displays inlet and outlet temp and RH plus grain depression in real time
- Secure, compact stacking – transport multiple units on a handtruck
This unit from MOUNTO is almost as powerful as the preceding Aprilaire dehumidifier. However, unlike the Aprilaire, it’s a portable unit.
It also comes in a hardened plastic body rather than a metallic one. An LCD panel is located at the front of the unit so you can set your desired humidity levels with convenience. The displays indicate the humidity level and inlet and outlet temperatures.
Like every other dehumidifier on this list, it has a built-in electric pump that allows it to pump condensate from the tank. The pump allows it to remove 2-3-times more water than dehumidifiers in the same category.
It can remove up to 71 liters at maximum saturation (90˚F and 90% RH). This makes it the perfect choice for extra-large crawlspaces up to 7,000 Sq. Ft. It can also work in the basement or as a whole-house dehumidifier.
It has a built-in humidistat for an easy humidity setting and two carrying handles for effortless mobility. Unfortunately, you may need someone to help you carry it around as it weighs a massive 70 pounds. You can stack three such units if you wish. We also love that it has a retractable cord with a cord holder. It comes in blue or red colors.
Unfortunately, there isn’t much information about the MT-80’s warranty cover. However, it’s a very durable unit.
- Very durable dehumidifier
- Includes pre-motor filters
- Ideal for up to 7,000 Sq. Ft.
- Includes pump hose
- Powerful, for up to 7,000 Sq. Ft.
- Warranty information is scanty
- No smart/remote settings
6. XPOWER XD-85LH LGR Commercial Dehumidifier for Crawlspaces
- COMMERCIAL GRADE DEHUMIDIFIER: For humidity control and water removal of indoor spaces
- MAXIMUM HUMIDITY CONTROL: Drop humidity down to 25% or lower
- WATER REMOVAL EFFICIENT: Remove 85 pints per day at AHAM (80 degrees F, 60% RH)
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: Programmable digital control with dual intake technology to boost efficiency and performance
- BUILT-IN HANDLE AND WHEELS: Measuring 13.1" x 29.9" x 22.2" and weighing 67.2 pounds, this dehumidifier features a built-in handle and wheels for easy transportation
Made of Roto-molded polyethylene, this product is another very good dehumidifier for the crawlspace. It’s a commercial-grade dehumidifier that removes up to 85 pins per day under the demanding AHAM standards and over 140 PPD in saturated conditions.
What we love about it, though, is the rugged build and wide range of features. From the moment you set your eyes on this dehumidifier, you can tell that it’s made for unusual applications.
It even features Velcro straps on the side to neatly secure the 25-foot power cord and 40-foot drain hose. Remember that most dehumidifiers have 16-foot power cords and 16-foot drain hoses.
Better still, XPOWER XD-85LH LGR dehumidifiers are stackable if you have an extra-large application. You can stack up to three units, one on top of the other. A programmable humidity sensor and display panel makes operating the unit a breeze.
Since this dehumidifier can lower humidity levels down to 25% RH, it’s important to keep one eye on the control panel. Also, make sure to provide regular maintenance as recommended in the user manual. It arrives with a 1-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Rugged, commercial-grade build
- Removes up to 85 pints per day
- Features built-in drain pump
- Drain hose and power code included
- Priced at over $1,500
- No remote control
7. ECOR Pro 50-Pint Portable Desiccant Dehumidifier for Crawlspace
- No More - dehumidifier with pump, drain hose, compressors, water leaks and/or water containers.
- Mount It Anywhere - from walls to ceilings. Designed to work free standing, on its side or upside down and can work in temperatures from -4 degrees F to 104 degrees F.
- Frequently Used - for commercial or residential areas without access to heat, vacation rentals, storage facilities, water damage flood drying, cold basements, crawl spaces and building maintenance.
- Quiet Compact Mini Dehumidifier - at 52 db and can remove up to 50 pints of moisture for rooms up to 1,000 sq ft.
- Self Regulating - tests air to adjust to desired set humidity level to require no extra work and can be left on at all times.
If you live in the north where it gets freezing cold in the winter and even summer temperatures drop to below zero at night, you’re probably wondering whether there are any dehumidifiers that can brave the extreme conditions.
Well, the ECOR Pro can. It’s one of a very small range of dehumidifiers that continue running down to -4˚F. Yes, you read that right- negative four degrees Fahrenheit. Considering that the standard dehumidifier cannot work at temperatures below 41˚F, you can easily tell that this one is built differently.
It’s a quality that makes it a great choice for the colder climates or just often cold places such as the basement and crawlspaces. It also works very well in vacation homes.
The built-in pump effectively eliminates the need to carry water tanks to the sink for emptying. It’s also self-regulating. And doesn’t produce water or vapors.
This dehumidifier is impressively quiet at 52 dB and doesn’t use any harmful refrigerants. It removes 50 pints per day under the new DOE standards, making it a good choice for spaces up to 1,000 square feet. For your peace of mind, it comes with a 1-year parts warranty and a 5-year warranty on the desiccant wheel.
- Quiet at 52 decibels
- Runs down to -4˚F
- 5-year warranty
- It’s expensive
8. ALORAIR 180 PPD Large Dehumidifier for Basement, with Wi-Fi App Control and Pump
- ✔【App Control & Dry anywhere】: Other brand commercial dehumidifiers do not have a smart WiFi function, But we have. Our free AlorAir DryEasy mobile app is included with the unit upon purchase. Commercial Dehumidifier, Moisture Removal Capacity 180 PPD at Saturation condition and 85 Pint at AHAM only with 5.62A, Super-Efficient System, fits into small spaces, Secure, compact stacking – transport multiple units on a hand truck.
- ✔【COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, and CRAWL SPACE & BASEMENT USE】: MONITOR THE RESTORATION PROCESS ON THE GO! Designed to withstand the rigors of the toughest spaces, removing damp and moisture from Flood & Restoration, Carpet Cleaning, Basements/Cellars, Laundries, De-Flooding. For the basement and attic, bathroom, garage, the dehumidifier will help you restore the whole house.
- ✔【Design with humanized】: Onboard storage for 19.6 ft power cord and 19.6 ft condensate hose. Convenient storage for the power cord and drain hose. MERV-8. APP Control, Automatic Digital Humidistat Control, Memory Starting, Timer, Automatic Digital Humidistat Control. Simply Plug-In, Select Settings. Industrial Dehumidifier with Condensate Pump.
- ✔【Memory Starting, Auto Shut Off】: Comes back after a power failure, no need to turn on manually. The clear LCD display, it has no complicated function button, Temperature, and Humidity Display at Both Inlet and Outlet Side.
- ✔【5 Years Warranty】: Safety tested our Storm LGR Extreme dehumidifier is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. Please feel free to contact us; you deserve the best after-sales service.
Finally, the ALORAIR 180 PPD dehumidifier is among the most powerful dehumidifiers today. At 180 pints per day, it can serve pretty much application.
Indeed, the unit is mostly used in floor restoration. Some people also use it in commercial applications for carpet drying, laboratories, and laundry. For crawlspace use, it’s recommended for areas not exceeding 2,300 square feet.
It functions best between 35% and 90% RH and temperatures between 33.8˚F and 104˚F. More importantly, it comes in a waterproof design such that you can sink the entire unit in water and it would continue running. It also comes with MERV-8 filters to remove airborne particles from indoor air.
However, one of the main differences between this unit and the other dehumidifiers on this list is Wi-Fi and app control. Of course, it has an LCD control panel like the others. However, it’s also smartphone-controlled.
From the ALORAIR DryEasy app, you can set relative humidity, turn the purge function on/off, control multiple dehumidifiers at a go, and the timer. The app is free to download on the Google Play Store and Apple app store.
It arrives with the required drain hose (19.6 feet long) and a three-prong power cord (also 19.6 feet long). Every purchase is backed by a 5-year compressor warranty and a 1-year warranty for the other parts.
- Powerful at 180 PPD, 210 CFM
- Built-in condensate pump
- Smart Wi-Fi/app control
- 5-year compressor warranty
- Priced at $1,000+
Will a dehumidifier work in the crawl space? Yes. Dehumidifiers work very well in the crawlspace. In fact, crawlspace dehumidification is critical to improving indoor air quality.
What size dehumidifier do I need for my crawl space? A 70-pint or higher dehumidifier under the 2020 DOE standards would suffice. However, always try to match the actual crawlspace area with the recommended coverage.
Where should a dehumidifier be placed in the crawl space? The dehumidifier should be located in an area where discharge airflow is not blocked. You’re also advised to place the unit on concrete blocks as hanging can transfer noise to space above.
Condenser vs. Desiccant Dehumidifiers, which is better? Condenser dehumidifiers are more effective, but also more energy-sapping. Remember that condenser dehumidifiers work like air conditioners. They rely on very cold refrigerant lines to condense the moisture in indoor air. Meanwhile, desiccant dehumidifiers use a desiccant chemical to absorb moisture from the air.
Should I buy a dehumidifier with a pump? Yes, if the budget allows. We say “if budget allows” because dehumidifiers with a pump are typically more expensive than ones without. You may have to spend up to $300 more. However, the increased convenience is worth the extra investment.
It’s critical that you dehumidify your crawlspace. If you’ve been unsure about it, just remember that the air quality in your home is directly determined by the air quality in the attic.
If there’s too much moisture, or, God forbid, condensation, in your crawlspace, air conditioning in the rest of the home automatically becomes a bigger task. Even the energy bills will rise. Fortunately, it’s very easy to find a good crawlspace dehumidifier.