Do you happen to have an attic and noticed an increased rate of mold? And have you ever thought about how harmful this can be to your health?
If you haven’t, then it’s about time you found out that it can be quite hazardous. One of the main reasons why mold may grow in your attic is humidity, which is why using the best dehumidifier for attic can help you solve this issue.
Humidity is normally caused by additional insulation, roof leaks, the heating source, and lack of proper ventilation. This is why eliminating the high humidity level can be a great solution, and you can do that by installing a dehumidifier.
Dehumidifiers can help to decrease the humidity level in your attic, thereby reducing the high chances of getting mold. But, what are some of the best dehumidifiers? We answer this question below by reviewing the 6 best dehumidifiers for attic that we found on the market.
What Is the Acceptable Moisture Level in Crawl Space?
It’s always recommended to keep the crawl space moisture about 30 to 50 percent. This offers maximum efficacy. The good news is that an attic dehumidifier can conveniently help you keep the crawl space dry.
However, you have to ensure that it maintains a healthy moisture level. Keep in mind that having excess humidity in your crawl space can lead to issues throughout your home.
What Causes Excessive Moisture in Attic?
The main thing that causes moisture problems in your attic is the warm air that escapes the heated portion of your home into your unheated attic space. The warm air then condenses on the cold roof, thereby causing frost and moisture problems.
Excess moisture is a common problem that normally leads to mold, and in other cases rot. To handle this issue, you can start by controlling the moisture in your house by making sure the dryer and baths vent to the exterior. When your home is well ventilated, it contributes to keeping your attic dry. However, it’s recommended to control indoor humidity as it’s more effective.
Why Use a Dehumidifier for Crawl Space
Having a dehumidifier in your crawl space comes with plenty of benefits. These benefits include:
- It offers health protection – Dehumidifiers can help to improve the air quality in your crawl space and provide you with good health. It decreases the moisture in the air, which then improves the air quality and reduces symptoms of allergies such as headaches, respiratory issues, and eye irritation.
- It protects against pets – Since dehumidifiers help to control the moisture in your crawl space, this not only offers you good health but also prevents pests. When you control moisture in your crawl space, it reduces the chances of pest infestations.
- It offers comfort – High humidity levels can lead to discomfort in your home since it can make you feel hot and sticky. Installing a dehumidifier in your crawl space can control the humidity level in your home and keep you comfortable.
What Type of Dehumidifier Do I Need for Crawl Space?
When you have a crawl that you need to install a dehumidifier to help control the level of humidity, you need to consider a high-performing dehumidifier. It’s recommended to use a 50 pint or above dehumidifier to effectively handle the situation in your crawl space.
A 50-pint dehumidifier will work properly to keep the area completely dry. Using an effective dehumidifier in your crawl is a proven solution that helps to decrease symptoms of allergies and pest protection.
What Should I Set My Dehumidifier to in Crawl Space?
When you set up a dehumidifier in your crawl space, it’s important to note that it requires a certain amount of humidity to function efficiently. If your crawl space happens to be outside that humidity level, you may end up with various issues that pertain to it and the rest of your home.
Therefore, it’s important to pay close attention to the humidity level in your crawl space if you want to have a steady and stable home. The ideal setting for the dehumidifier in your crawl space should be between 30 and 60 percent.
However, you have the option of leveling at approximately 55 percent. Regardless of the humidity level in your crawl space, you have the power and ability to get it to that recommended number because it’s the most ideal point that will keep you comfortable both in your home and the crawl space.
How Long Does It Take to Dehumidify a Crawl Space?
When you’re using the dehumidifier for the first time in your crawl space, it can take up to 12 hours to start working efficiently and reach the suitable level of humidity required for your home. Some dehumidifiers can take less than 30 minutes to dehumidify a small space of about 50 square feet from 90 percent relative humidity to 40 percent humidity.
When talking about the ideal time it takes to dehumidify a crawl space or any other place, it all depends on several factors, with the main one being the dehumidifier’s capacity. This capacity is not the size of the dehumidifier but rather its ability to extract water from the space within 24 hours.
That means even a small dehumidifier can do a better job in a crawl space the same way a larger dehumidifier can. The dampness level also significantly contributes to the time it takes to dehumidify a crawl space. Other factors include the room size, the surrounding temperature, room design, and the elevation of the dehumidifier.
How to Install a Dehumidifier in Your Crawl Space
Installing a dehumidifier in your crawl space is quite easy. Al you have to do is follow the steps below.
- Ensure you prepare the crawl space for installation. Crawl spaces come in different dimensions in every home, which is why it’s important to prepare them for installation.
- Thoroughly clean the crawl space and ensure that there isn’t any debris or unwanted clutter sprawled around. Cleaning up your crawl space will reveal any damage so that you can fix it before installing the dehumidifier.
- Inspect and fix any problems. That means you need to examine your crawl space to ensure that there is are no damages such as cracks or leaking pipes. These are issues you need to fix before installing the dehumidifier in your crawl space.
- Properly seal any opening in your crawl space. This may include the ceiling, foundation vents, or any other thing.
- Choose a good location in your crawl space to position your dehumidifier, to make it accessible for any future maintenance. A good place is somewhere that won’t block the airflow.
- Make the base for your dehumidifier such as a raised foundation.
- Use a ducting kit to direct the airflow if your crawl space happens to be unusual in shape.
- The final thing you need to do is set up the gravity drain for taking the water outside.
What Should I Look for When Buying a Dehumidifier?
Before buying any dehumidifier, here are some of the things you should look for to ensure you are getting the right product.
- Caster Wheels: Almost every dehumidifier model comes with caster wheels, although you need to ensure that the unit you’re buying has them. The advantage of caster wheels is that they help you easily transport the dehumidifier.
- Pint Capacity: This is the number of pints that a dehumidifier unit can remove from the area in 24 hours. Therefore, it’s important to check the pint capacity and compare it to where you want to dehumidify.
- Air Filter: Although it’s an optional accessory, an air filter is important to have in a dehumidifier because this is where the air is passed through.
- Portability: It’s important to buy a portable dehumidifier that is easy to carry around anytime you want to use it. Avoid a permanent unit because it may limit you in many ways.
6 Best Dehumidifiers for Attic – Reviews
1. ALORAIR Basement Crawlspace Dehumidifier
- Energy Star Certified Dehumidifier-quickly and effectively removes moisture with less energy than conventional dehumidifiers without racking up your energy bill, saving you money. This will be the best crawl space/basement dehumidifier you will ever use. Remove 55 pints per day at AHAM condition，120 Pint at saturation, up to 1,300 sq. ft, fit for any basement, crawl space, storage areas, garage, any large room, or commercial use.
- Automatic Defrost-a quick and efficient defrosting process, truly makes the dehumidifier able to work at a low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit), if frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with that build up. Makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, not only saving the energy but also making the unit last longer.
- INTERNAL CORROSION PROTECTION-an advanced technology to minimize corrosion and freon leakage, as you know in dehumidification applications, there always get oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide, normal coils get corrosion and freon leakage quickly, this innovative feature extends the life of the coils by providing protection against, maintaining the coil’s heat transferability.
- DESIGNED FOR THE MODERN HOME-for your full satisfaction, we designed this professional dehumidifier with the modern consumer in mind, all special features make it the best for crawlspace, basement, and commercial applications, auto defrosting system, optional Remote control system, MERV-8 filter, Low-temperature operation, C-ETL, and Energy Star listed.
- 5 Years Warranty-energy efficient & safety tested our sentinel HD55 dehumidifier is energy star certified and is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a local professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
This energy star-certified dehumidifier quickly removes moisture with less energy than most of the conventional dehumidifiers. Since the ALORAIR Basement Crawlspace Dehumidifier is energy-efficient, you won’t have to worry about it racking up your electricity bill.
It can remove up to 90 pints per day at AHAM condition, 198 pints at saturation, and cover a large space of up to 2,600 square feet.
Therefore, it makes this dehumidifier suitable for any basement, crawl space, garage, storage areas, and commercial spaces. It comes with a heavy-duty condensate pump that keeps it running efficiently and smoothly, by just pushing the collected water out of the area continuously. The provided optional remote control makes it suitable for places where there is a need for remote sensing and controlling.
The ALORAIR Basement Crawlspace Dehumidifier also comes with an automatic defrost that enables it to function at a lower temperature of about 36 degrees Fahrenheit. It comes with a rare earth alloy tube evaporator to help you avoid Freon leakage and easy filter access that you can wash without straining.
- Energy-star certified
- Easy to install
- Solidly built
- Easy filter access
- Optional remote control
- Heavy-duty condensate pump
- Not durable enough
2. Aprilaire 1830Z Pro Dehumidifier
- BUILT TO LAST with corrosion-resistant aluminum coils, Aprilaire Dehumidifiers are designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. by Aprilaire, the leader in indoor air quality solutions
- MINIMIZE AIRBORNE VIRUS SURVIVAL rates by keeping relative humidity below 60% with a dehumidifier
- REDUCES & CONTROLS BASEMENT & WHOLE HOME HUMIDITY to help prevent damp carpeting and furnishings, mold, mildew, and odors, and mold, termites, structural wood rot, and odors in a sealed crawl space
- REMOVES UP TO 9 GALLONS (70 pints) of water per day
- NO MESSY WATER TRAY TO EMPTY and simple to set up - just place a hose or place dehumidifier over a drain, level it, plug it in, set the target humidity, and you’re done
- SET IT AND FORGET IT control automatically starts dehumidification when humidity above target is sensed
The Aprilaire 1830Z Pro Dehumidifier weighs approximately 67 pounds and it’s built to last. It features corrosion-resistant aluminum coils and comes from a company that manufactures its products in the United States. What makes this dehumidifier efficient and worth having is that it minimizes the airborne virus survival rate, since it keeps the relative humidity below 60 percent.
The dehumidifier reduces and controls basement and whole-home humidity, which prevents damp carpeting, mold, mildew, termites, structural wood rot, and odors in a sealed crawl space. It can comfortably remove up to 9 gallons (70 pints) of water daily. There’s also the no-messy water tray included to empty the water, plus the dehumidifier is also easy to set up.
Thanks to its automatic control feature, all you have to do is set it and forget it since it automatically starts dehumidification when it senses the humidity above the target. The Aprilaire 1830Z Pro Dehumidifier eliminates excess moisture and maintains relative humidity, thereby keeping you healthy in your home.
- Minimizes airborne virus survival
- Easy to install
- It works perfectly
- Reduces humidity
- Not suitable for wood floors
3. DRIEAZ F413 Revolution LGR Compact Dehumidifier
- WATER REMOVAL: 12 gal/day at 80°F/60% RH (AHAM), 17.3 gal/day at 90°F/90% RH
- AIR MOVEMENT: 121-180 CFM
- COMPACT DESIGN: 17.6" x 12.5" x 21.5" in. (HxWxD)
- CONTROL PANEL: Displays the inlet/outlet temperatures, relative humidity, and tracks job hours.
- EASY TO TRANSPORT: Recessed feet indents make it possible to stack up to 3 units on a handtruck for quick and safe transport.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED? Dri-Eaz Revolution Dehumidifier, 40-Foot Drain Hose, 25-Foot Electrical Cord, 3M HAF High Airflow Filter, Owner's Manual
If you’re searching for a compact and efficient best dehumidifier for attic, then this is a good option to consider. The DRI EAZ F413 Revolution LGR Compact Dehumidifier is a commercial-grade dehumidifier that pulls as much water as large dehumidifiers. It can pull up to 17 gallons of water a day. You can use this dehumidifier to dry out water-saturated areas fast.
You can keep it dehumidifying until you ensure that all the carpets, floors, structural materials, and walls are fully dried. The good thing about is that it can easily fit where other high-performing dehumidifiers cannot. These include tight spaces like bathrooms, kitchens, in your attic, hallways, etc.
The DRI EAZ F413 Revolution LGR Compact Dehumidifier also features a real-time inlet and outlet temperature, as well as a relative humidity display, which helps to track job site conditions and the progress of dehumidification.
There is an auto-restart after a power outage that helps to ensure the drying continues. The built-in automatic pump also makes it easier to pump the condensed water into a sink, drain, or toilet.
- Real-time inlet
- Built-in automatic pump
- Works great
- Prevents moisture-related issues
- Not so robust
- Poor at water disposal function
- The condensate pump may encounter issues
4. MOUNTO Crawl Space Basement Dehumidifier
- Dehumidifies areas up to 7,000 square feet; Small, light Xactimate “Large” category dehu – more water removal than units 2–3 times its size!
- 125Pints/Day (71L) @ 90F/90% ;80Pints/Day (45L) @ 80F/60%
- Delivers “Large” dehu performance yet fits where others don’t – crawlspaces, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.
- Control panel displays inlet and outlet temp and RH plus grain depression in real time
- Secure, compact stacking – transport multiple units on a handtruck
The MOUNTO Crawl Space Basement Dehumidifier can comfortably dehumidify an area size of approximately 7,000 square feet. It’s a small and compact dehumidify that is also suitable to use in your attic. This commercial-grade dehumidifier can also work perfectly in commercial spaces and deliver the best performance.
When it comes to choosing an attic dehumidifier, it ranks among the best options to consider. It can pull as much as 17 gallons of water per day, and you can use it to dry out water-saturated areas faster. It can dehumidify basements and other areas until they are completely dry.
Due to its compact design and size, it can easily fit in areas where other dehumidifiers cannot. Therefore, this makes it more convenient to use in homes since it occupies a small space.
You can also use it in your kitchen, hallway, bathroom, and any other area that you need to be dehumidified. It comes with a 1-year warranty and doesn’t require batteries to function.
- Excellent performance
- Control panel
- The condensation pump may break after long use
- It lacks documents or an instruction manual
- Requires constant reset every time there’s a power blip
5. Ultra-Aire 70 Pint Whole House Dehumidifier
The Ultra-Aire 70 Pint Whole House Dehumidifier can help you maintain humidity throughout your home and offer you comfort. What makes it the best dehumidifier for attic is that it can integrate into your home’s HVAC system and ductwork to properly control the humidity. It also offers the best home ventilation with an option of fresh air intake to improve your indoor air quality year-round.
The Ultra-Aire 70 Pint Whole House Dehumidifier was recently named the most efficient in 2019 by the Energy Star program. It can easily remove 70 pints of damaging moisture per day under the AHAM conditions. It’s also designed to dehumidify a space of approximately 1,800 square feet.
Due to its features, room size requirements, and efficiency, it’s ideal for small homes, apartments, condos, or even using in your attic. It uses 15 percent less energy to remove more moisture, and this helps you save on energy costs while still maximizing performance. You also have the option of customizing the installation of this dehumidifier to suit your home’s needs.
- Easy to install
- Excellent water removal
6. Santa Fe Compact70 Dehumidifier
The Santa Fe Compact70 Dehumidifier is small in stature but offers excellent performance. It’s the best dehumidifier for attic since it’s designed to work in small spaces. It can comfortably dehumidify a room size of approximately 2,300 square feet. It is a powerful dehumidifier that you can rely on, plus it saves on space.
It features a horizontal and flow-through design that makes it efficient and suitable to have in your attic. The system removes excess moisture from low-clearance crawl spaces and tight basement areas. It can even work efficiently in a small home theatre. The features of the Santa Fe Compact70 Dehumidifier are engineered to operate at a low temperature.
It is also effective in dealing with airflow issues mostly found in crawl spaces, it comes with ducting options for divided spaces and an auto-restart feature that allows it to automatically restart after a power outage. The measurements of the Santa Fe Compact70 Dehumidifier are 27 x 18 x 18 inches.
- Excellent design
- It works great
- Easy to install
- Suitable for small spaces
- Easy to operate
- Not ideal for large spaces
The best dehumidifier for attic solely depends on what your needs are, your budget, and where you want to use it. If you want a dehumidifier that you can use in any area of your home, it’s important to buy one that is suitable for whole-house functionality.
If you happen to have any questions please feel free to ask them in our comments section below. Alternatively, you can send them through email where I’ll be happy to answer you.