You’re probably wondering whether you need a dehumidifier in the bathroom in the first place. The short answer is – yes, you do!
Although you also need a humidifier for the rest of your home, especially the living areas, excessive moisture in the bathroom is just as bad as anywhere in the home. It may even affect your walls, ultimately impacting the structural integrity of your home.
We’ll further discuss why you should strongly consider adding a dehumidifier to your air conditioning shopping list this summer shortly. But first, a rundown of the best dehumidifier for bathroom in 2021.
Advantages of Bathroom Dehumidification
Why would you dehumidify the bathroom? It doesn’t affect the rest of the home, anyway. So, why not let it be? These are just some of the questions people struggle with every day.
The following are six reasons you need to dehumidify your bathroom;
- Eliminate mold and mildew
These two microorganisms – mold and mildew – thrive in hot, humid conditions. Therefore, the summer weather is an excellent time for mold and mildew to form around the house. Both microorganisms cause a range of health issues, including triggering allergies. Dehumidification I the first step to dealing with mold and mildew in the bathroom.
- Prevent condensation
Condensation happens when gaseous moisture ‘freezes’ to form water particles and eventually droplets along the walls. You may even notice small water pools on the floor. It happens when temperatures drop below the dew point. The problem? Temperatures drop below zero degrees almost every night, even on the hottest summer days. Dehumidification is the only way to prevent condensation in your bathroom.
- Prevent damage to electronics
Excessive moisture in the bathroom or anywhere else in the house is a massive threat to your electronics. It can cause corrosion and rust to form on your gadgets. Moisture can also corrode contacts inside the gadgets, lower insulation resistance, and increase short circuit risk. A reliable dehumidifier can solve this problem.
- Prevent fogged mirrors/glass walls
Your bathroom mirrors are important for various reasons. Among other things, you need them to make sure you’re adequately groomed. Unfortunately, excess moisture has a tendency to cause fogging, which can negate the purpose of the mirror. Fogging may also block the view in glass-walled bathrooms. Proper dehumidification prevents fogging in the bathroom.
- Eliminate odors and foul smells
If you’ve noticed strange smells in your bathroom, you’re not alone. Many other people experience the same at any given time. While not always the main culprit, humid conditions may exuberate the issue as moist conditions encourage decay. Dehumidification goes some way to minimize the problem.
- Improve air quality in the home
We’ve already established that an excessively bathroom is likely to smell or generally feel musty. The bigger problem is that this issue won’t only be confined to the bathroom. The constant air movement in the home means that the foul air is likely to find its way into other home areas. Consider dehumidification if you don’t want your smelly towels disturbing your peace while entertaining guests in the dining room.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Bathroom Dehumidifier
Most of the factors to consider when choosing a bathroom dehumidifier are the same as those you’d look at when buying a dehumidifier for any other area of the home. You want to prioritize the following;
Size in Pints/Hour
The capacity of a dehumidifier is measured in pints/hour. It refers to the amount of moisture in pints that the dehumidifier can remove in one hour. Some manufacturers may use ounces (oz) in place of pints. Just remember that one pint = 16 ounces.
Ideally, you want to bring home the dehumidifier with the highest pints/hour capacity you can find. 30 pints dehumidifiers serve best in small rooms while 70 pints are used for large rooms.
Tank Size in oz/Liters
Unfortunately, you may not always get the moisture removal rate you want because of tank size considerations. Why? Because the removed moisture has to go somewhere, in this case, the tank.
Dehumidifiers can only hold a specific volume of water before they’re full. Try to find a humidifier with the largest tank possible, as this also reduces the emptying frequency.
As you shop for a large tank, though, you’ll also need to keep physical dimensions in perspective. Tanks typically account for more than half the physical volume of the dehumidifier.
Therefore, an extra-large tank may mean a rather large dehumidifier. Since you don’t want too big a dehumidifier in your bathroom (for proportionality), you may have to compromise.
Features and Controls, e.g., Auto-Shutoff
The dehumidifier’s features and controls determine its value and user-friendliness. Operating modes, such as Sleep Mode and Energy Saver Mode found in some dehumidifiers, make your work a little easier. However, you want to focus on three essential features/controls, i.e., automatic shutoff, LED indicators, and tank drain methods.
Other factors to consider include aesthetics, such as the design and bathroom lighting, speed levels, and warranty.
The best dehumidifiers can last several years. Some even last a whole decade. However, proper maintenance is key to longevity. If the unit isn’t correctly cared for, it will frequently break down and hardly live beyond the first year.
The following maintenance tips are recommended;
- Use it according to the manufacturer’s directions
- Place your dehumidifier correctly, on a level surface
- Replace the filter as the manufacturer recommends
- Clean the water tank at least once every week with soapy water
- Inspect the condenser coils regularly for frost or ice build-up
- Regularly clean the air intake and exhaust grilles
Best Dehumidifier for Bathroom Without Vent – Reviews
The following eight are some of the most popular bathroom dehumidifiers in 2021. The majority of these appliances are relatively new products with advanced features and modern, digital controls.
1. Inofia 30-Pint Dehumidifier
- ✔️『Efficient Moisture Removal』With high-efficiency compressor and fan, Inofia home dehumidifier PD161C can remove up to 30 pints of moisture per day at low noise, being great quiet dehumidifiers for basements and any small to medium rooms up to 1,500 sq ft.
- ✔️『Intelligent Humidity Control』Simply set your desired humidity level between 30% and 80%, this 30 pint dehumidifier will automatically maintain pre-set humidity levels by Auto-OFF when the set humidity reached and Auto-ON when the room humidity raised.
- ✔️『Unique Modern Design』With a unique slim figure and aesthetically pleasing finish, this compact room dehumidifier fits neatly and unobtrusively into any home decor, no matter living room or office. ABS housing is for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- ✔️『User-friendly Operation』A digital LCD displaying humidity and temperature readout and working status for easier operation. This electric dehumidifier will Auto-off when water bucket if full to prevent overflow. And, this dehumidifier with drain hose (6.56 ft long) can self drain continuously by gravity.
- ✔️『Automatic Continuous Operation』Both Auto-defrost feature that allows this basement dehumidifier to keep running at low temperature down to 41ºF and Memory feature that makes this dehumidifier to auto-restart after a power interruption ensure continuous worry-free operation under less supervision.
To get us started is the gigantic 30-pint Inofia model PD161C. One pint = 16 ounces (oz). So, you can see that this a rather large dehumidifier. This partly explains why it’s rated for spaces up to 1,000 square feet.
Not many bathrooms are larger than 250 square feet. But if you have a relatively large bathroom with persistent moisture issues, it would be the perfect acquisition.
The even better news is that it has a unique ‘Intelligent Humidity Control’ function that maintains humidity levels between 30% and 80% RH, adjusting the levels up or down by 5% to ensure optimal humidity levels in your bathroom. Any ice from a frozen coil is quickly detected and instantly melted for worry-free operation. The unit continues to operate down to 41˚C.
Two other features we love about the model PD161C are the adjustable speed levels and auto error detection. You can personally adjust the fan speeds up or down to meet your dehumidification needs. Meanwhile, the auto error detection function is always on standby in case of any issues.
An LCD screen at the top displays everything, from the humidity levels to the detected error issues, while the 6.56-foot drain hose allows for self-draining.
- Large capacity, a 30-pint dehumidifier
- Features reusable, washable filters
- Full tank alert with Auto Shutoff
- Continuous gravity or manual drainage
- 24 hour-timer and continuous mode
- No remote control
- Pricey at over $150
2. Pro Breeze Electric Small Dehumidifier
- Large Coverage 1200-2200 Cubic Feet: The Pro Breeze Dehumidifier can effectively cover up to 2200 cubic feet. This powerful dehumidifier removes up to 9 ounces of Water/Day in areas up to 215 square feet or 2200 cubic feet.
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn on, indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier.
- Lightweight, Compact and Portable: Capable of removing up to 9 ounces of water per day with a 16-ounce water tank capacity. Only works effectively above 15°C / 59°F.
- Ultra-Quiet & Energy Efficient: Whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices, at an output of 23W per hour, which means only using 0.55kW after running for 24 hours.
- Lowers Humidity: Perfect for high humidity in your home, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, RV, trailer, garage, closet, cabinet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F.
If you feel that a 30-pint dehumidifier is too much for your needs, the Pro Breeze model PB-02-US is a more compact solution at a great price.
It extracts up to 9.0 ounces of moisture per day, making it the ideal dehumidifier for the standard-sized bathroom (under 150 square feet). However, the 10-ounce water collection tank is large enough to run two full days. It works in temperatures as low as 15˚C.
Features that stand out about this dehumidifier from Pro Breeze include the auto-shutoff feature and Peltier technology. The auto-shutoff feature automatically cuts the power supply, thus shutting the unit when the tank is full. The LED light will also turn on to indicate that you need to empty the tank. Unfortunately, it only supports manual draining.
The Thermo Electric Cooling (Peltier) technology helps ensure effective operation at the slowest speeds possible. It operates without a compressor, meaning whisper-quiet operation. A 12-month limited manufacturer warranty backs the unit.
The biggest advantage of this dehumidifier, however, is the compact size. At a mere 2.4 pounds and measuring 7 x 6 x 11 inches, you can take it anywhere and even pack it for your travels.
- LED alert and auto-shutoff when full
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- 12-month manufacturer warranty
- No remote/smart controls
- Manual drainage only
3. AUSTIN Small Dehumidifier
An even more affordable option, which removes more moisture than the Pro Breeze, is the model DH-CS01 AUZKIN. It’s a 1,000 ml dehumidifier with a 16oz tank (equivalent to about 450ml).
The extra-large tank means it can also run for two days without emptying. It best operates at 41˚F to 122˚F. Temperatures below 41˚F may affect the effectiveness of the dehumidifier.
The unit is programmed to go off automatically when the collection tank is full. Additionally, the red LED light will flash to notify you that it’s time to empty the tank. It also relies on ultra-quiet technology to remove moisture from the air, rarely exceeding 39dB even in maximum operation.
The intelligent, colorful LED lights inside the water collection tank reflect, turning the bathroom into a relaxing environment. We also love that it’s extremely energy efficient. At 40 watts/hour, it consumes about 0.96 kW after 24 hours of continuous use. That’s about $0.1 worth of electricity.
It’s another very compact dehumidifier at 5.91 x 5.91 x 10.8 inches and weighs about 2.87 pounds. The required power cord is included for your convenience.
- Tank full auto-shutoff and LED indicator
- Incredibly energy efficient at 40 watts
- Quiet operation (below 39 dB)
- Intelligent, colorful LED lights
- No mention of warranty
4. ROCKET Dehumidifier 35oZ (1,000 ml) Small Dehumidifier
The 35-ounce (1,000 ml) model DH-CS01 from ALROCKET is also a 16oz (450ml) dehumidifier that works exceptionally well in a standard-size bathroom with average dehumidification needs.
It removes the 16oz of moisture in humid environments of 86˚F and 80% humidity. However, it will operate normally within 41˚F and 122˚F. It’s only below 41˚F that the dehumidification process may be compromised.
Like many other products on this list, this unit also relies on the advanced Thermo Electric (Peltier) technology for quiet moisture eradication. It generally remains under 40 dB throughout the operation. For this reason, you can even bring it to your bedroom once you’re done in the bathroom.
The dehumidifier shuts off automatically when the water level reaches between 24oz and 27oz to prevent overflow. Also, a red LED light will turn on to warn you that the tank is full. Detaching the tank from the base is easy, so you don’t have to worry about emptying the unit.
It plugs into the regular household outlet (120V) and draws power at about 40 watts per hour. This is very energy-conserving.
- Compact and lightweight
- Transparent tank for easy tracking
- Auto shutoff at full tank
- Hushed operation
- No remote control
- Manual drain only
5. SEASON Electric Dehumidifier for Home
- Efficient dehumidification: This SEAVON small dehumidifier has a 16 oz (500ml) capacity water tank, and the dehumidification range can cover 2200 square feet. It can absorb excess moisture from air, remove up to 11.8 oz (400ml) of water every day. Release dry air and make you breath comfortable.
- Ultra-quiet Working: This small dehumidifier has built-in thermo-electric cooling technology (Peltier). It is quiet enough during operation, and the dehumidification volume is less than 30 dB, creating a comfortable and quiet sleeping environment for you.
- Auto shut-off: Our dehumidifier will automatically stop working when the water is full, which will prevent the water overflow. Moreover, the dehumidifier LED light turn on to remind customers to empty the water tank. Note:the optimal working environment is over 50 °F, over 40% RH.
- Easy to use: The dehumidifier has only one switch.You just need to connect it to the power supply when using it, and then press the switch, suitable for bathroom and wardrobe. It is exquisite and compact, easy to carry with you for traveling, or go picnic with friends. Portable dehumidifier can save space and make your life more refind.
- Energy-saving and health: This dehumidifier not only in high efficient, but saving energy for you. With a rated voltage and current of 9V and 2.5A, it only consumes 0.23 KW of electricity for 24 hours a day, which can provide you with a whole day of comfort and dryness. Moreover, the dehumidifier is small in size and will not take up your space.
This unit from SEASON, the model MD-819, is the smallest dehumidifier on this list. It removes about 10 oz (300 ml) of moisture daily and has a tank capacity of 16oz (600 ml) which can last perhaps a day and a half.
So, you’ll need to be alert to empty the tank as needed. The tank detaches from the base with ease and can be emptied in a basin or in the sink.
Despite the small size, though, it’s just as effective as the larger dehumidifiers. An auto-shutoff function automatically cuts the power supply to the unit off when the tank is almost full.
A red LED light also turns on automatically to alert you when it’s time to empty the tank. After the empty tank is reattached, the dehumidifier resumes operation without a hint of noise.
This dehumidifier works best in conditions between 59˚F and 86˚F. Below or above this range, it may not perform effectively. Conditions below 41˚F are especially not so good for dehumidification. When it’s time for cleaning, the air outlets come off with ease and can be washed without any trouble.
You’ll love this dehumidifier, even more, when you hear that it comes with a 2-year limited manufacturer warranty. The manufacturer also offers exemplary phone support.
- Compact and powerful
- Auto shutoff and LED alerts
- Exemplary customer support
- 2-year limited warranty
- Low capacity at 10 oz/day
6. LOVE Dehumidifier 31oz (900ml) Small Dehumidifier
LOVE makes some exceptional dehumidifiers for a whole range of applications. So, it’s no surprise that they have a few units for the bathroom too.
This particular model, the LOVE model MD300 is a 31oz (900 ml)-tank dehumidifier that removes up to 450ml of moisture per day at 86˚F and 80% RH. The capacity makes it suitable for rooms up to 190 square feet.
Key features of the MD300 include one-button control, auto-shutoff, and unmatched user-friendliness. The single button allows you to start or stop the humidifier in one press while the auto-shutoff function cuts off the power supply to shut the unit when the tank is full. This helps prevent overflow. A yellow indicator LED lights up when it’s time to empty the tank.
When the tank is full, simply take it out of the base, pull out the soft black plug, and empty the water into a basin or a sink. You can also empty the tank via the water displacement hole.
After that, return the tank and switch it on again to continue dehumidification. Remember to clean the tank every few days to prevent mold and bacteria.
Note that the dehumidifier operates best when temperatures are above 59˚F and relative humidity around 80%.
- It’s an attractive unit
- Auto-shutoff at full tank
- 360-degree dehumidification
- Ultra-quiet at under 35 dB
- No drain hose
- No smart controls
7. HONATI Small Dehumidifier
The HONATI is also a 20oz (600 ml)-tank dehumidifier that removes 10of of moisture every day. The capacity makes it ideal for various applications, including kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and office dehumidification.
You can even bring it on your travels. It goes off automatically when the tank is full. An LED light turns on to alert you that it’s time to empty the tank.
It operates on thermoelectric cooling technology that utilizes a unique dehumidifying element to condense moisture based on temperature differences inside and outside the house.
When humid air passes through a Peltier element, temperatures decrease, and moisture condenses on the element’s surface. The accumulated condensed water turns to water droplets which ultimately flow into the water tank.
The dehumidifier is made from hardened ABS plastic for durability. It’s a 5.75 x 5.75 x 8.94-inch appliance that weighs about 2.2 pounds. The compact, lightweight design makes it the ideal humidifier for use across multiple applications. It’s also impressively quiet at under 33 dB and even more energy-efficient at 23 watts.
Although it operates best at 86˚F and 80% RH, you’ll still enjoy effective moisture removal at temperatures up to 41˚F. Below 41˚F, it may not be very effective.
- Attractive design
- Compact and portable
- Auto-turn off and LED alters
- Incredibly energy efficiency at 23 watts
- Not effective below 41˚F
- Best suited for small areas
8. AIRPLUS 30-Pint Dehumidifier
- High-Efficiency Dehumidification: Airplus dehumidifiers - (1907) for home remove up to 30 pints (under 90% RH @ 86°F condition) of moisture per day.
- Convenient Drainage & Sufficient Capacity: Using a dehumidifier hose to drain continuously and automatically frees you from the hassle of manual job. The 1.5L capacity of our dehumidifiers is sufficient to use. If the water tank is full, the machine will shut off until it is emptied. More convenient and efforts-saving!
- Easy Operation & Multipurpose Modes: The portable dehumidifier is easy to use. There are four modes-STANDARD, DRYING, SLEEP and RAINING to fulfill different needs. Switch among modes to achieve the desired dehumidification effect. Thanks to the timing boot/shutdown function, save a load of trouble. What’s more, universal wheels make movements easily.
- Quiet Moisture Absorber & Multiple Scenes: Quiet moisture removal keeps you away from annoying noise. An ideal dehumidifier for bedroom that will not disturb your rest also does a great job in the living room, RV, kitchen, and closet. Meanwhile, it works perfectly as a dehumidifier for basements. Create a pleasant and comfortable life.
- After Service: There is a quality service of a replacement or a full refund coming with our basement dehumidifier. If you have any problems with the bathroom dehumidifier or shopping experience, please CONTACT us.
Finally, this product from AIRPLUS is another thoughtful option when shopping for a dehumidifier for the bathroom. It’s another extra-large unit designed for larger bathrooms and other applications around the home. The 1500 ml capacity means you don’t have to worry about emptying the tank any soon.
The even better part is that this dehumidifier supports manual and continuous tank drain options. The continuous drain hose conveniently releases the tank water without further effort on your part. However, the appliance still goes off (automatically) when the tank is almost full to prevent overflow.
What makes the AIRPLUS genuinely unique, though, are the multiple modes. It has four unique modes – Standard, Drying, Sleep, and Raining mode to fulfill different needs.
In the Drying mode, it can even help dry your clothes. Simply hand the clothes in the bathroom and check back after a couple of hours. They’ll be dry and ready.
All AIRPLUS dehumidifiers are backed by a 2-year limited manufacturer warranty, during which you’re guaranteed a replacement or full refund. Don’t hesitate to contact the support team via phone if you have any issues.
- Powerful at 30 pints/hour
- Equipped with an auto-shutoff feature
- Enjoy manual or continuous tank drain
- Backed by 2-year manufacturer warranty
- A little pricey at over $100
Bathroom Dehumidifier FAQs
Do humidifiers work in the bathroom? Yes. Dehumidifiers are incredibly effective in the bathroom. They help remove the excess moisture, leaving the bathroom clean and dry.
How do you dehumidify a small bathroom? The best way to dehumidify a small bathroom is to invest in an exhaust fan and a bathroom dehumidifier. The two work hand in hand to rid the bathroom of excess humidity.
How do I dehumidify my bathroom naturally? There are several ideas to consider. Begin by ensuring proper ventilation. Ventilation increases airflow, thus reducing humidity. Also, fix any pipe leaks to prevent moisture entry and consider taking shorter showers.
Where should a dehumidifier be placed in the bathroom? The best place to place a dehumidifier in the bathroom along the wall directly opposite the shower/bathtub.
What size dehumidifier do I need for my bathroom? The best dehumidifier size for your bathroom depends on several factors, including but not limited to the bathroom size. However, for the standard-size bathroom under normal conditions, a 1,000 ml dehumidifier is sufficient.
Bathroom dehumidifiers can be a vital investment, especially in the hot, humid summer weather. The humidifier will save you from condensation that may damage your bathroom walls and mold that may threaten your health.
Dehumidifiers also eliminate the fogged mirrors issue and prevent damage to electronics. It’s strongly recommendable to get one this summer.