Shopping for a dehumidifier can be a confusing process. Although the average dehumidifier works simply and straightforwardly, many models and manufacturers exist.
It gets a little easier if you’ve settled on a specific brand. Otherwise, you may have to sort through hundreds of dehumidifier models.
We know you don’t have that time. So, we’ve created a simple guide to help you pick the right dehumidifier for your large room without stain.
Benefits of a Dehumidifier
Let’s begin with a recap of the benefits of a dehumidifier. Why do you need dehumidification in the first place?
- Improve indoor comfort: You can never have a comfortable home if the humidity levels are out of range. Even if you lower the temperatures below 70˚F in the summer, if humidity levels are higher than 60%, the damp conditions would negate all your efforts.
- Prevent mold and mildew: Hot, humid conditions create the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. If you’ve noticed unexplained dark sections around or on the ceiling, that’s what we’re talking about. Proper dehumidification can help eliminate mold and mildew.
- Prevent allergies: Although it’s not the only cause, damp conditions tend to aggravate allergic reactions. Mold spores and dust mite thrive in these conditions. Before you realize it, you’ll be sneezing nonstop and experience eye and nasal irritation. Ensuring proper humidity levels helps find these issues.
- Improved sleep: Studies show that we sleep best in humidity levels between 30% and 60% RH. Outside this range, it’s either too dry or too humid to enjoy quality sleep. Also, it takes longer to fall asleep in damp conditions. Remember that the allergic reactions above can also compromise sleep quality.
- Prevent wall damage: Finally, excess moisture can damage your wallpaper and paint. Condensation on the walls can also seep beneath the paint and into the internal structure of the wall. When this happens, it can damage the joints between blocks and weaken the home’s overall structure.
What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need?
The dehumidifier size you need depends on several factors, including the room’s size, conditions inside the area, and your geographical location.
Let’s look at some of these factors;
- Size of the room: When you say a “large” room, what exactly do you mean? 1,000 square feet? Perhaps 3,000 Sq. Ft.? generally, you need a 30-pint dehumidifier for rooms up to 1,500 Sq. Ft., a 50-pint model for rooms between 1,500 and 4,500 Sq. Ft., and a 70-pint unit for spaces larger than 4,500 sq. ft.
- Condition of the room: No two rooms are perfectly equal, even if of the same size. One might be a basement and the other a living area. It could also be a crawl area. These three areas may require very different dehumidifiers.
- Geographical location: Consumers in hotter, more humid climates generally need larger dehumidifiers for the same application compared to those in colder areas. A 5,000 Sq. Ft. home in Texas will likely require a larger dehumidifier than a 5,000 Sq. Ft. home in California.
Assessing Dehumidifier Tank Size
Every dehumidifier has a condensate reservoir. For smaller dehumidifiers, the reservoir is often a small tank, while for larger models, it’s often a basin or bucket. As you shop for the best dehumidifier for a large room, keep in mind that the tank’s size matters too.
Why? Because the tank size determines how often you’ll empty the tank. A small tank in a large dehumidifier needs more frequent emptying.
On the same note, a tank too big may impact the size of the dehumidifier. If you’d prefer a more compact unit, the tank cannot be too big.
Other Considerations When Shopping for a Dehumidifier for a Large Room
Although we have different priorities, the following are critical factors to consider when shopping for a large room dehumidifier.
- Drain method – manual or continuous: Manual drainage means you wait for the tank to fill, then detach and carry it to the sink to empty. Meanwhile, continuous filling means using a hose to eliminate the condensate.
- Pump drain, yes or no? There are two broad ways to drain a dehumidifier tank continuously – by gravity or using an electric pump. For large rooms, it recommendable to find a unit with a built-in pump for increased convenience.
- Auto shutoff and auto restart: The best dehumidifiers shut off automatically when the condensate reservoir is full and resume operation, again automatically, once the tank is drained. The auto-shutoff feature may also come in handy after a power interruption.
- Auto defrost function: Depending on where you live, you may need to use the dehumidifier even in the colder seasons. If so, the auto-defrost function is crucial. It allows the dehumidifier to run down to 41˚F or lower.
- Quality of the build: For large applications, the quality of the build may also be important. This is especially when you’re shopping for a dehumidifier for the garage, basement, crawlspace, and other unusual applications. A rugged, weather-resistant design with corrosion-resistant coils is preferable.
- Mobility: Large dehumidifiers are naturally heavy. Some weigh over 100 pounds. You must think about how you’d move the unit around, perhaps from one application to the next or the storage location. Rolling caster wheels and convenient handles are therefore necessary.
- Warranty: Even the best products break down occasionally. What if the dehumidifier stops working due to mechanical failures? A warranty means that the manufacturer would take responsibility for specified mechanical failures for a specified period.
Best Dehumidifier for Large Room – Reviews
Let’s with a review of some of the best dehumidifiers for large rooms. The products are selected from the top dehumidifier brands.
We’ve also selected high-performance units with the best possible features. All the products are priced between $150 and $250.
1. VREMI 50-Pint 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier Energy Star Rated for Large Spaces
- Our "Moisture Maniac" dehumidifier is rated to remove 50 pints (70 Pint 2012 DOE Rating Standard) of moisture per day and is ideal for medium to large spaces from 3,000 sq. ft. to 4,500 sq. ft.
- We designed our dehumidifier with convenience and style in mind. This dehumidifier sports a sleek, clean look with convenient built-in wheels and handles and a quiet fan that will do its job without you hearing it.
- It's a dehumidifier, not a rocket ship and our design reflects that. Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, where it'll then shut-off automatically. For added convenience, there’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining (NOTE: hose not included) Key Product Features
- Our portable dehumidifier features a Turbo mode that increases fan speed for maximum moisture removal. This product effectively reduces humidity and maintains a level of dryer air that can help you feel more comfortable.
- Dehumidifiers emit heat when in use (that’s how they work) and is intended for any indoor space between 3,000 and 4,500 SQ FT. It measures 16.6 x 11 x 24.3 inches, has a 1.8 gallon water tank capacity, and removes up to 50 pints of moisture from the air per day. Key Product Features
The VREMI model VRM010184N is also known as the ‘Moisture Maniac.” It removes up to 50 pints per day under the new standards and at least 70 pints per hour under the old DEO standards. More importantly, it’s a sleek, stylish dehumidifier with built-in wheels and handles for easy mobility. It comes with a 1.8-gallon tank, equivalent to just over six liters.
This dehumidifier is recommended for areas between 3,500 Sq. Ft. and 4,500 Sq. Ft. The tank detaches easily when it’s time to empty it. You’re advised to rinse it with tap water every time you empty it and wash it with soapy water at least once every two weeks.
Aside from manual emptying, you can also opt for the continuous hose drain method. Unfortunately, the hose is sold separately.
You don’t need to worry about water overflow as the unit shuts off automatically when the tank is full. We also love that it has a Turbo Mode fan speed to accelerate the moisture removal process. A 12-month warranty backs it.
- Powerful at up to 70 PPD
- Compact and lightweight
- Auto shutoff
- 12-month warranty
- No pump draining
- No remote control
2. COLZER 50-Pint Dehumidifier, 3,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier for Home and Basements
- 3,500 SQ FT Dehumidifier: COLZER dehumidifier HD08C effectively removes up to 50 pints of excess moisture per day, great for keeping your damp basements, storage areas, laundry rooms, and other humid areas in your home dry, comfortable, and healthy.
- 3 Modes Dehumidifier: This home dehumidifier features 3 modes that meet all your needs properly. DEHU mode to perfectly maintain your desired humidity level in the wine cellar, DRY mode to quickly dry your delicate clothes that require hang dry, CONT mode to continuously dry your spa area.
- Easy to Operate: The top control panel makes mode, target humidity, timer, fan speed, and child lock settings and current room humidity reading nice and intuitive. The front display offers great convenience to read the current room humidity level from across the room.
- 2 Drainage Options: Manually empty the water bucket (0.66 gallon capacity) when it's full and this smart dehumidifier auto shut off. This dehumidifier with drain hose offers continuous drain option for increased flexibility by allowing you to continuously drain the condensate water into a low-level drain for worry-free operation.
- Portable Dehumidifier: With 4 rolling casters and 2 side-grip handles, this 50-pint dehumidifier is easy to transport from room to room. The beads-tie on the power cord helps bundle the cord and hang it by the dehumidifier, keeping the cord safe and neat while transportation.
This product from COLZER is also a 50-pint dehumidifier (rated 70 pints at maximum saturation). The dehumidifier is good enough to keep rooms up to 3,500 square feet dry and cozy at that capacity. The manufacturer says it’s ideal for a wide range of applications, including bathroom and bedroom dehumidification. You can also use it in laundry rooms and other humid areas throughout the home.
It boasts three dehumidifier modes – DEHU, DRY, and CONT. The DEHU mode is the standard operating mode. It’s tuned to keep your home within a comfortable humidity range without much intervention on your part. DRY mode is designed purposely to dry your delicate clothes, while the CONT mode keeps the dehumidifier on until the desired humidity level is reached.
As with other top large area dehumidifiers, this unit supports both manual and continuous drain. Whichever drain method you choose, though, an auto switch-off function turns the dehumidifier off when the tank is full to prevent water overflow. It has four rolling caster wheels and two side-grip handles for mobility.
- Convenient water level window
- Features washable, reusable filters
- Auto-defrost mode
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- No drain pump
- Small, 0.66-gallon tank
3. KENSOS 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier for Homes and Basements, with Continuous Drain
- KESNOS DEHUMIDIFIER FOR SPACES UP TO 4500 SQ FT - Our dehumidifier removes up to 70 pint (under 95°F,90%RH condition) of moisture per 24 hours, fit for medium to large rooms in areas up to 4, 500 Sq. Ft. and is able to adjust humidity from 30% to 85%, you can maintain a healthy 45%-55% humidity range easily! A dehumidifier perfect for home, basements, office, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, stockroom, living room, laundry room, cellars, crawlspace by removing humidity.
- UNIQUE DESIGN FOR THE MODERN HOME - The Kesnos dehumidifiers designed with sleek and modern look. With 360° easy-roll hidden wheels and ergonomically recessed handles, you can move around this dehumidifier easily. It is quiet operation that won't disturb you when you sleep or at work and adjustable fan speeds for multiple choices. With dry clothes function, you simply place the dehumidifier in a room where you can hang the wet clothes and let it dry clothes naturally.
- EASY TO USE DEHUMIDIFIERS - Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, at which point it will automatically shut-off. 2 drainage options for your draining choices: Auto Drain: The with included 2m (6.56 feet) drain hose for continuously auto-drain your dehumidifier without emptying the water bucket. Manual Drain: The 1.18 Gallons Water Tank and Bucket Full Indicator lets you know when the water bucket needs to be emptied.
- INTELLIGENT TOUCH CONTROL - This dehumidifier with digital display offers a convenient and accurate humidity level readout, you can operate it easily. Humidity Auto Control: Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, it will smartly sense room humidity and control dehumidify. 24-hour Timer: Allow you to preset the time to turn on or off the machine. Automatic Shut Off/On: Shuts off automatically when the bucket is full, and switch it on again after the bucket been emptied.
- SUPPORT- All of Kesnos Dehumidifiers are covered with 30-Days Money Back, 1 Year Warranty, 2nd year warranty extension when your product registered and lifetime expert tech support. If there is any question, please don't hesitate to contact us, we will reply to you within 24 hours and help you solve the problems.
The KENSOS model PD253D dehumidifier is another excellent choice for large spaces up to 4,500 square feet. It removes up to 70 pints/day in maximum saturation (95˚F and 85%) and can remove even more moisture in damper conditions. More importantly, it keeps moisture levels between 30% and 80% RH effortlessly. You can use it in cellars, bedrooms, bathrooms, the kitchen, or even your office.
With regards to features, it’s a modern-design dehumidifier with 360-degree easy-roll caster wheels. The wheels are hidden to improve the unit’s aesthetics. It also features recessed handles for greater mobility and an adjustable fan, so you can find a setting that best matches your needs. You’ll even find a DRY mode to dry your clothes.
The unit switches off automatically when the 1.18-gallon tank is almost full and automatically resumes operation after emptying it. More importantly, you can empty it manually or continuously. The required 6.56-foot hose drain is included.
It also has a full tank indicator LED to alert you that it’s time to drain it. Other features of the dehumidifier include a 24-hour timer and the top-mounted, user-friendly control panel.
- User-friendly control panel
- Manual and continuous drain
- Auto-defrost and error detection
- Child lock setting
- 1-year warranty with extension
- No pump drain option
- No remote control
4. WAYKAR 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier for Home and Basements, Removes 9 Gallons/Day
- DEHUMIDIFIER FOR SPACES UP TO 4500 SQ FT- Our dehumidifier are able to remove up to 70 pints (under 95°F,85%RH condition) of moisture per day. (Please note: under 95°F,85%RH condition, the max dehumidification capacity up to 70 pints)in areas up to 4,500 Sq. Ft and adjust humidity from 30% to 85%. It is a dehumidifier ideal for any basements, office, home, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, stockroom, living room, laundry room, cellars, crawlspace, large spaces/room, etc..
- UNIQUE DESIGN FOR THE MODERN HOME- The Waykar dehumidifiers designed with the modern look. With built-in wheels and ergonomically placed handles, you can move this dehumidifier easily. A quiet fan that won't disturb you when you sleep or at work, adjustable fan speeds for multiple choices. There are 4 air outlets in the four sides of dehumidifier instead of that in one side, with this design will improve the speed of dehumidify.
- INTELLIGENT TOUCH CONTROL- There is an intelligent screen touch control panel display on the dehumidifier, you can operate it easily. Humidity Auto Control: Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, it will smartly sense room humidity and control dehumidification to maintain pre-set humidity levels. 24-hour Timer: For preset operation and reduced energy consumption. Automatic Shut Off/On: Shuts off automatically when the bucket is full, and switch it on again after the bucket been emptied.
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND- Waykar dehumidifiers with functions of Safety Standby Mode that prevents overheating. Overflow Protection and Alarming Functions available if the water tank is full for extra security. Internal Components that are made of thermally resistant materials. Child-lock Setting and Sleep Mode function, you can press the "LOCK" button for 2 seconds to locked the dehumidifier, if there are children at home, parents will feel less worries that they will mess up the appliance.
- SUPPORT- All of Waykar Dehumidifiers are covered with 30-Days Money Back if you are not satisfied with the product, 1 year warranty, 2nd year warranty extension and lifetime expert tech support. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there is any question, we will reply to you within 12 hours and help you solve the problems. Waykar customer support team is always just an-email away.
This unit from WAYKAR is almost similar to the above one from KENSOS. It’s also a 70-pint dehumidifier that removes approximately 9.0 gallons of moisture under saturated conditions. The manufacturer recommends it for areas up to 4,500 square feet. Common applications include kitchens, basements, bathrooms, bedrooms, and living areas. It can even serve the entire home.
Rolling caster wheels make it easy to move from one application to the next. It also has ergonomically positioned handles. At about 30 pounds, it’s lightweight enough to be carried by one person.
The unit shuts off automatically when the 1.18 condensate reservoir is almost full. You then need to empty it manually. Alternatively, you can opt for continuous draining. The required drain hose is included in the package.
It has air outlets on all four sides of the dehumidifier to ensure the dry, conditioned air reaches every corner of the room. It also features washable filters to eliminate airborne particles from your indoor air. A “Child Lock” setting keeps your settings in place in the event of tampering by kids. It comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Compact, lightweight, and portable
- Manual and continuous drain
- Auto-shutoff at full tank
- 12-month extendable warranty
- No continuous drain pump
- No smart controls
5. HOMELABS 4,500 Sq. Ft. Energy Star Dehumidifier for Extra Large Rooms and Basements
- 4,500 sq ft Large Dehumidifier: Our 15.4 x 11 x 24.3 inches dehumidifier with 1.6 gallon water tank capacity removes up to 50 pints (70 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) from the air per day depending on moisture condition and the size of your room. This is our largest, most capable model ideal for large rooms up to 4,500 square feet and/or very wet spaces.
- Designed For Modern Home: That most dehumidifiers are clunky eyesores is news to nobody. We designed with the modern consumer in mind: a sleek clean look, convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a quiet fan that won’t drown out your current binge-watching obsession.
- Super Easy To Use: Dehumidifiers don’t need to be complicated, so ours isn’t. Adjust to your ideal moisture setting, then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, at which point it will automatically shut-off. Don’t got time for that? There’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining. The hose is not included; we recommend a ⅝” diameter garden hose with an internal threaded end, and optionally Teflon tape for extra security.
- Eliminites Moistness, Odor & Other Things You Hate: Moist is a bad word. Our portable dehumidifier reduces odors and moisture through its built-in pump compressor. It also features a Turbo mode that increases fan speed from Normal Air CFM 165 (cubic feet per minute) to High Air CFM 188 for maximum moisture removal and odor reduction.
For some people, the Energy Star label is the first thing that defines a good dehumidifier. If you’re part of this group, then this unit from Home Labs would be a good fit. It’s a compact, attractive dehumidifier designed for a modern home. It’s also compact and lightweight and comes with caster wheels and recessed handles for easy mobility.
More importantly, it’s a 70-pint dehumidifier (50 PPD under the new DOE standards) recommended for rooms up t0 4,500 square feet. The 1.8-gallon tank is large enough to run the entire day.
However, you also have the option of continuous drainage. The required drain hose isn’t included. However, you’re advised to buy a 5/8-inch diameter hose with an internally threaded end. Consider using Teflon tape for extra security.
Other key features of this dehumidifier include the Turbo mode, which blows air at 188 CFM. The standards mode moves air at 165 CFM. It also features an auto-shutoff feature to cut the power to prevent water overflow and an auto-defrost setting that keeps the unit running even in excessively cold conditions. A 24-hour timer allows you to program the dehumidification process.
- Powerful at 70 PPD
- Manual and continuous drain
- Required drain hose included
- UL Listed, Energy Star certified
- No internal electric pump
6. TOSOT 50Pint Dehumidifier with Internal Pump for 4,500 Sq. Ft., Energy Star Rated
- 4, 500 SQ FT: Our dehumidifier can remove up to 50 pints of water every 24 hours (same as 70 Pint units under 2012 DOE standard. ) A lower humidity level allows your AC system to work more efficiently because it's easier to change the temperature of dry air compared to moist, super-humid air.
- INTERNAL PUMP: The internal pump automatically removes collected water from the dehumidifier so you never experience downtime due to a full water bucket. Water can be pumped sideways or vertically up to 12 feet away. Water will collect in the bucket until it's almost full, then the internal pump will automatically start up to remove the collected water.
- REAL-TIME MONITORING: After choosing a target humidity level the control panel will display the current humidity level. The dehumidifier will power off after reaching the target you set. If you want the dehumidifier to run nonstop regardless of the current humidity level, press the minus button until the control panel displays "NS. " The dehumidifier will run until the drain bucket is full, which will never happen if you activate the internal pump from the control panel.
- SILENT OPERATION: This dehumidifier is so quiet you might even forget it's there. A peak sound level of 51 decibels (using high speed) will be almost as quiet as a private suburban street or a normal conversation at home. Number of Fan Speeds: 3 Speed
- SAVES YOU MONEY: Since it is Energy-Star rated, this dehumidifier will quickly remove moisture from the air without running up your utility bill. Energy Star appliances are not just better for the environment, they also cost 30% less to operate compared to non-Energy Star appliances.
This dehumidifier from TOSOT is a product you’ll come across a lot when shopping for a mid-size dehumidifier. It’s a 70-pint dehumidifier that removes 50 pints under the 2020 AHAM standards. You’ll also love that it’s very silent. At 51 dB, you may not even realize that the dehumidifier is running. Yet, it has even quieter modes.
However, what separates the mode GDN50BA-A3EBA2E from the others is the electric drain pump. This is a game-changer. It means that you can place the dehumidifier just about anywhere.
While other continuous drain units implement gravity drain, meaning that the dehumidifier must be located in a raised position, pump drain allows you to pump out condensate water out of the window even when the dehumidifier is on the floor.
It also has a power outage restart feature that auto-restarts the device following a power interruption. More importantly, it will revert to the previous settings. Washable air filters inside the unit eliminate airborne particles to ensure that every cubic inch of air that reaches you is clean and healthy.
- Powerful 70 PPD dehumidifier
- Equipped with an electric drain pump
- UL Listed, Energy Star Certified
- 1-year limited warranty
- Required drain hose not included
7. TAOTRONICS Dehumidifier with Pump, 50-Pint for 4,500 Sq. Ft. with 6-Liter Tank
TAOTRONICS is one of the top brands in home heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. You’ve likely come across several of their products. The model TT-EE015 dehumidifier is one of their best dehumidifiers. It’s slightly bulky at 46.8 pounds. However, it’s very powerful at 70 pints/hour and comes in a sleek, modern design that fits easily in most decors.
The built-in humidity and temperature sensors allow the unit to maintain indoor humidity at the proper levels intelligently. Unless you change the settings, it will keep your indoor humidity between 45% and 55% based on ambient temperatures.
The large, 6-liter condensate tank can run for two full days without emptying, while the 24-hour timer function allows you to program the dehumidification process.
It’s another dehumidifier on this list with an electric drain pump. To use the continuous pump drain option, press the “Pump” button. You can direct the water outside via a hose or drain it into a sump pump.
Unfortunately, the required drain hose isn’t included. This product comes with a 12-month warranty with an option for an 18-month extension.
- Powerful 70-pint dehumidifier
- Features electric drain pump
- Features washable filters
- Energy Star certified
- 12-month extendable warranty
- Required drain hose not included
- No remote or app control
8. MIDEA MAD50C1ZWS Dehumidifier for 4,500 Sq. Ft. with Reusable Air Filter
- 4, 500 SQ FT DEHUMIDIFIER – Our dehumidifier are able to collect 50 pint (70 pint 2012 DOE standard) of water a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%, perfect for use in basement, bathroom, bedroom, or crawlspace. Maintaining a healthy 45%-55% humidity range has never been easier! Please note: depending on the climate in your area, as well as room size, you may need to purchase a larger unit for best effect
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – Auto restart function limits disruption due to power outages by engaging your chosen settings as soon as power is restored. Meanwhile, continuous dehumidification mode is perfect for keeping your home at the proper humidity level.
- QUIET OPERATION – Quiet enough for use in bedrooms to maintain both healthy air quality and a relaxing environment. A maximum 51 decibel volume enables quiet operation that registers around the same volume as a quiet conversation.
- EASY MAINTENANCE – Easily empty the included tank when it’s full, or simply connect a standard . 75 inch female garden hose (not included) to the built in socket for gravity fed continuous draining. Meanwhile, a reusable filter preserves air quality without expensive replacement parts.
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product.
Finally, MIDEA needs no introduction. It’s one of the biggest brands in home refrigeration systems. The company also makes exceptional fans and heating systems.
This specific product is a 70-pint dehumidifier designed for areas up to 4,500 square feet. It’s a compact, modern-looking appliance and lightweight too at just 33.5 pounds. It’s also Energy Star certified.
The dehumidifier is designed to keep humidity levels between 35% and 85% relative humidity. The 1.6-gallon tank (about six liters) should last at least a full day unless you’re dealing with extremely damp situations.
It supports both manual and (gravity-powered) continuous drain. Unfortunately, the required drain hose isn’t included. However, it has washable filters to purify your air.
The unit goes off automatically when the tank is full to prevent water from overflowing. It also restarts automatically after a power interruption and has a 24-hour timer in case you wish to program the dehumidification process. The 51 dB noise rating means you can use it in your living areas and even the bedroom without any noise worries.
- Powerful, ideal for up to 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- Supports manual and continuous hose drain
- Auto-shutoff and auto-restart features
- One year limited manufacturer warranty
- No electric drain pump
- Required drain hose not included
Do I need a dehumidifier in every room? No, you don’t need a dehumidifier for every room. If you need to dehumidify the entire home, you can opt for a whole-home dehumidifier.
What size dehumidifier do I need for a 1,000 square-foot room? For a 1,000 Square foot room, you need a 30-pint dehumidifier. However, if it’s an overly damp area, you may need a 50-pint unit.
What’s the best dehumidifier for home use? For general use, consider a 30-pint dehumidifier. 50-pint and 70-pint models are better suited to large space applications.
Can a dehumidifier be too big for a room? Yes. A dehumidifier can be too big for a room. For instance, you can’t buy a 70-pint dehumidifier for a 400 Sq. Ft. bedroom. It would cycle on and off too often, compromising the efficiency of the unit.
Should I get a 50 pint or 70-pint dehumidifier? It depends on the targeted application. For a 1,500 square foot to 4,500 room, consider a 50-pint dehumidifier. Meanwhile, for 4,500 square foot or larger applications, go for a 70-pint model.
What size dehumidifier do I need for a 4-bedroom house? You’ll likely need a 70 pint+ dehumidifier with a drain pump. It may also be wise to consider a ducted unit that integrates into the rest of your HVAC system.
What size dehumidifier do I need for my apartment? You need a 70-pint dehumidifier or higher for an apartment.
Where should you place the dehumidifier? The best place to locate a large dehumidifier is an obstruction-free area with plenty of air movement and tucked away from view. This makes basements and crawlspaces two of the best locations.
Buying a dehumidifier for a large room should be a straightforward process if you know the room’s specific area. However, make sure to keep in mind other factors such as tank size, drain method, the presence of a pump, and whether it’s a ducted model. Also, the best dehumidifiers are backed by a manufacturer warranty.