What is an Electric Fireplace Insert?
An electric fireplace insert is a rectangular device that fits into the natural fireplace in your house and is used to provide heat. An electric fireplace insert comprises a heating element and a LED screen, among other components. It also has a fake fireplace that may have either fake logs or a fire bed.
An electric fireplace insert converts electric energy into heat energy. The heat energy is then dissipated in your room. The display component of an electric fireplace comprises fake flames on an artificial fire bed. The display component creates an impression of a real fire burning.
Are Electric Fireplace Inserts Worth It?
If you have an unused fireplace in your house, it would be a good idea to use an electric fireplace. Electric fireplaces offer a convenient, quick, and reliable source of supplemental heat in your house.
Besides, they help to enhance the overall look of your home. This depends on the specific type of electric fireplace insert that you choose.
The following are some of the benefits of using electric fireplace inserts in your home.
Easy to Operate
Electric fireplace inserts come with remote controls. You can use the remote control to change every aspect of their settings, including the embers’ color, the speed of dancing of the fake flames, and, of course, the heating level.
Once your electric fireplace insert is installed correctly, you do not need to do much to keep it working. The insert does not produce ash; therefore, you do not have to worry about regularly opening it to clean and remove dirt.
Compared to real fireplaces, electric fireplace inserts are safer. Your electric fireplace does not produce carbon monoxide, which is a highly poisonous gas.
Also, your electric fireplace does not produce soot and carbon dioxide gas. Soot and carbon dioxide can have adverse effects on people who have respiratory problems, including asthma.
It is possible to take advantage of all the various features and settings of electric fireplace inserts to personalize their performance to your needs.
Notably, electric fireplace inserts let you change almost every aspect of their appearance and performance. This broad range of settings is a significant advantage to anyone who wants to get more than supplemental heat from these devices.
What size Electric Fireplace Insert do I Need?
The size of an electric fireplace inserts that you need depends on your room area and its insulation level. Generally, the bigger your room, the higher the electric fireplace insert that you need to provide sufficient warmth in the room.
If your house is not insulated correctly, you will need an electric fireplace insert with an excellent heating capacity to provide the much-needed secondary heat in the house.
Electric fireplace inserts can utilize either 750 watts or 1,500 watts. A rule of thumb is that you need 10 watts for every square foot of space.
Ideally, a 750-watt electric fireplace insert will warm an area that is about 75 square feet. Similarly, a 1,500-watt electric fireplace insert will perfectly warm a room that is 150 square feet.
You need to factor in other things, including the level of insulation. If your house is perfectly insulated, this rule holds. Any 1,500-watt electric fireplace will provide adequate secondary heat that you need to be comfortable in your home.
Can you Put an Electric Fireplace in an Existing Fireplace?
Yes, you can put an electric fireplace insert in an existing fireplace. Electric fireplace inserts are designed to be placed in such existing fireplaces and save you the hassle of operating conventional fireplaces with real combustion processes.
The installation of an electric fireplace insert should not cost you much. These devices come with all the things that you need to get them working as quickly as possible.
They also perfectly fit into the fireplaces in homes. Therefore, you do not have to worry about creating additional space so that your electric fireplace fits.
How do you install an electric fireplace insert in an existing fireplace?
The most important thing that you need to consider when installing an electric fireplace in an existing fireplace is whether you would like your electric device to be hardwired or not.
Hardwiring is ideal for highly powerful electric fireplace inserts. Hardwiring is a highly technical process that needs the skills of an experienced technician. Luckily, the most common brands of electric fireplace insert do not need to be hardwired.
You need to ensure that there is a wall socket nearby the real fireplace. Electric fireplace inserts come with standard electric cords that you can plug into the regular wall socket.
The display component of the fireplace needs to fit perfectly into the space of the real fireplace. Once you do these things correctly, your electric fireplace insert will be ready for use.
How do you hide the cords on an electric fireplace insert?
There are several ways of hiding the cords on an electric fireplace insert, including cord raceways, furniture, and the carpet. Using cord raceways is the most effective way of hiding the cords of an electric fireplace insert.
You do not need to burrow holes in your wall if you choose to use cord raceways. The raceways will keep your cords out of the site and prevent tripping accidents.
Alternatively, you may hide the cords under the carpet or behind furniture. This is necessary if your electric fireplace insert’s power outlet is far away from the real fireplace.
It would be best if you kept the cords hidden under the carpet or behind furniture so that people do not trip on them when passing around the house. Also, having many cords hanging down walls and running across floors is unsightly.
What to Consider When Buying an Electric Fireplace Insert for Your Existing Fireplace
Although electric fireplace inserts can be excellent, convenient, and affordable secondary heat sources in your home, getting the right device may not be easy.
There are many brands of electric fireplace inserts with different features. Therefore, you need to be specific about the features you are looking for to get the right device quickly.
The following are a few crucial features that you should look out for when buying an electric fireplace insert. The features range from convenience and efficiency to overall safety and appearance.
- Remote control. Although most modern electric fireplace inserts come with remote control, there are differences in terms of what you can do with the remote control. For essential brands, one can use the remote control to carry out the most basic functions, including switching the device on and off. You can use the remote control to adjust all settings of the electric fireplace insert conveniently for others.
- Flame-only mode. The most advanced electric fireplace inserts have the flame-only option. The flame-only option gives you the freedom to choose when to use the insert purely for aesthetics of both ambiance and supplemental heat.
- Built-in thermostat. A thermostat lets you control the heating performance of a device. It is more comfortable to use electric fireplace inserts that have inbuilt thermostats than those which lack this vital component. You can select the exact temperature that you would like the device to operate.
- Other electric fireplace inserts have additional timers. The timers give you the freedom to select the period when the electric fireplace insert will be on and off. Thus, it is quite convenient to use an electric fireplace that has a timer.
- Safety features. The most important safety features in electric fireplace inserts include overheat protection and cool-to-touch. Go for electric fireplace inserts that have these features to maximize safety at your home. Cool-to-touch means that the device’s housing remains cool even when the insert operates for a long time. If kids and pets accidentally touch such a device’s surface, they will not get burn injuries. Electric fireplace inserts that have the auto shut-off feature instantly go off if their internal temperatures rise to dangerous levels. This safety feature prevents overheating and related fire accidents.
- Flame control options. Go for electric fireplace inserts that have all the options of controlling the speed and brightness of the flames. Some inserts even allow you to change the color of the flames. Such electric fireplace inserts can be the perfect choice if you are keen on taking advantage of their appearance to create ambiance in your house.
Best Electric Fireplace Insert For Existing Fireplace
1. PuraFlame Western Electric Fireplace Insert
The PuraFlame Western Electric Fireplace Insert has amazing settings that let you personalize its performance. You can choose between three settings for heat intensity and the brightness of the flame. These settings allow you to ensure that the insert provides perfect zonal heating according to your needs.
The fake fireplace of this electric insert helps to improve the overall ambiance of your living room. It has a classic design with a matching black finish.
The minimalist design blends perfectly with modern and contemporary interior décor styles. Additionally, the life-size logs appear like real logs burning. Besides, you can change the brightness level of the flame to suit the desired mood.
The only notable drawback of using this electric fireplace insert relates to the flame-only mode. Occasionally, you may want to use the flame function only and not have supplemental heating.
Sadly, the PuraFlame Western Electric Fireplace Insert does not let you do that. Nevertheless, this is a small issue, considering the overall heating ability of this device.
- It has excellent settings for personalized performance
- Fantastic ambiance with a bright life-like resin log set that resembles a real log fire
- The electric fireplace insert comes with remote control for your convenience
- This electric fireplace insert does not have the flame-only option
2. Classic Flame 23II042FGL 23″ 3D Infrared Quartz Electric Fireplace Insert
One of the most outstanding features of the Classic Flame 23II042FGL relates to safety. Although electric fireplace inserts are relatively safe devices for use at home, they still pose a certain degree of danger if not well managed.
The Classic Flame 23II042FGL has some of the most advanced inbuilt safety features that you would expect to find in a modern device.
It has special sensors that warn you whenever there is an internal fault in the device. The sensors help to prevent overheating if there is an obstruction.
More so, the auto shut off feature keeps you and your loved ones safe by automatically switching off the device whenever a risk of overheating occurs. Thus, this safety feature prevents fire outbreaks.
The advanced flame technology of this electric fireplace insert is worth mentioning. This electric fireplace insert produces a realistic three-layered flame dancing majestically on the fake fireplace thanks to the patented technology. The fire even has a crackling sound like natural fires.
Sadly, you may miss the beautiful view of the flames of this electric fireplace insert when other objects in the room get reflected on its LED glass. It would have been a good idea for the manufacturer to use non-reflective glass.
- Its realistic flame technology enhances the ambiance
- The electric fireplace insert has advanced safety features
- It has the flame-only option
- It lacks a non-reflective glass; therefore, reflections of other objects in the house interferes with the view of the flame
3. Giantex Electric Fireplace Insert
The Giantex Electric Fireplace Insert is a large and powerful device ideal for providing supplemental heat in large indoor spaces that measure up to 500 square feet. You can rely on it to provide excellent zonal heating in your large living room.
This device has an inbuilt thermostat and timer. The thermostat lets you choose the perfect heating temperature anywhere from 62 degrees Fahrenheit to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. The timer enables you to select when the electric fireplace insert should operate from 0 to 8 hours.
There are two heating settings: the low and high modes. The high mode is suitable when the temperatures are relatively low, and you need a lot of heat rapidly for everyone in the room to be comfortable. You can also select the color of the flame from three options that include blue and orange.
You must keep the kids and pets away from this electric fireplace insert as it is possible. Although its surface does not heat up, it becomes hot enough to jolt a kid who touches it accidentally.
- It has an inbuilt thermostat and timer for personalization
- Easy to use, thanks to the remote control
- It has two heating settings and three flame appearance settings for your convenience
- The surface of the electric fireplace insert becomes slightly hot
4. R.W. FLAME 36″ Electric Fireplace Insert
The R.W. FLAME 36″ Electric Fireplace Insert has several features that make it of the most reliable supplemental heat sources for large indoor spaces.
First, this electric fireplace insert has all the various settings that you can imagine. It is possible to change the flame color across four distinct colors.
Moreover, you can play with the appearance of the flame bed to suit your moods. It is also possible to quickly change this electric fireplace’s heating level using the remote control.
Second, it has advanced control options: remote control and a touchscreen. The remote control is quite sensitive and lets you change every aspect of this device. The touchscreen function is also very accurate and sensitive: you do not need to touch it twice for the device to respond.
However, you will have to be wary of using the remote control at night when everyone is sleeping. Its beeping sound may cause a considerable level of distraction to light sleepers.
- It has advanced controls, including remote control and touch screen
- Various settings for flame bade color, flame brightness, and heating levels for your comfort
- Advanced safety features, including relevant industry safety certifications
- The beeping sounds that it produces when one uses the remote control may be too loud
5. Dimplex DF3033ST 33″ Electric Fireplace Insert
The DIMPLEX DF3033ST is an easy-to-use, reliable, and powerful electric fireplace insert. It is designed to provide sufficient zonal heating in small to mid-sized rooms at home.
Installing this device is a breeze. It comes with a standard 6-feet long cord. Therefore, you do not need to think about hardwiring it. Also, it perfectly fits into the real classic fireplaces.
The inbuilt timer and thermostat are great additions. You can use the timer to preset the hours during which this electric fireplace insert should run. The range of settings is anywhere from zero to eight hours.
The only notable drawback of using this electric fireplace insert relates to the temperature of its surface. Although the casing is designed to be safe, even when the insert runs for a long time, it still becomes slightly hot.
It may be a good idea to keep your kids, pets, and any flammable material as far away from the device as it is possible.
- The electric fireplace insert has a timer for activating the sleep mode
- It has the flame-only option in addition to other settings
- The design of the casing and the 3D flame technology maximize the ambiance
- The surface of the electric fireplace insert becomes slightly hot after some time
6. Tangkula Electric Fireplace Insert
Operating your Tangkula Electric Fireplace Insert is an effortless process. You can either use the touch icons on its screen or the remote control. The remote control allows you to do everything with the settings of this device. You can even alter the speed at which the fake flame dances using the remote control.
The fake hearth has various color schemes and brightness options. You can combine these options with the different heating settings of this electric fireplace insert to customize its performance.
Besides, it is possible to ignore the heating function and focus on the flame. This mode is useful when you do not need supplemental heat in your living room.
You must position other objects in the room carefully so that they do not get reflected in the LED screen of this electric fireplace insert. Such reflections prevent you from viewing all the fantastic effects of the flame, which resemble real-life fires.
- Easy to use because of the two control options: touchscreen and remote
- One can customize the appearance and use of the flame
- Its minimalist design and black finish enhance the look of the flame
- Bright objects in the house may be reflected in the LED screen
7. Masarflame 43” Electric Fireplace Insert
The Masarflame 43” Electric Fireplace Insert is a large device with excellent heating capabilities. It is ideal for providing additional heat in large indoor spaces that measure up to 400 square feet. Thus, once you have this device installed in your real fireplace, you do not have to worry about supplemental heat.
More so, you can toggle between two heating settings: high and low. The device utilizes 1,500 watts of power at the high heating mode, while when running on the low mode, it uses only 750 watts. You can always go for the low heating mode if the room’s ambient temperature is not very low.
Because of its large size, you may experience some trouble when installing it in standard-sized real fireplaces. However, any technician can help you with this without causing any damage to the edge of the fireplace.
- The large screen provides a fantastic view of the flames
- It has advanced safety features, including the auto shut off sensor
- One can change the heating settings between the high and low mode
- Installing this electric fireplace insert is a long process because of its large size
8. KUPPET 25.3 Inches Electric Fireplace Insert
If you prioritize variety, the KUPPET 25.3 Inches Electric Fireplace Insert could be the perfect device for you. It has multiple settings for the color and brightness of the flame and the logs.
You can change the brightness of the fake flame across six settings. It is also possible to change the color of the flame and the logs across three distinct settings.
In addition to having multiple settings for a personalized experience, this electric fireplace insert has a fake wall-brick decoration on both ends. The decoration blends perfectly with modern and contemporary interior décor styles to provide aesthetic value in your living room.
Unlike many other electric fireplace inserts, the KUPPET 25.3 Inches Electric Fireplace Insert utilizes only 500 watts when set on the low mode.
Different brands of electric fireplace inserts use 750 watts. Thus, this device’s heating capacity is incredibly diminished when it is set on the low heating mode.
- The fake brick wall decoration and overall design of the device provides aesthetic value
- It has multiple settings for flame color, log color, and flame brightness
- The electric fireplace insert comes with a thermostat and timer
- The heating capacity of this device is severely diminished when it is set on the low mode