Attics are perhaps the most forgotten spaces. I barely remember them until I have something to store or something that I want to retrieve. We can all relate when I say it is usually a disappointment to get in there and find the moisture buildup has destroyed some of the items we stored.
It could worsen and compromise your roof’s integrity and eventually the entire structure of the home. As such, it is critical to ensure that the attic is well ventilated to prevent damaging moisture buildup.
This calls for acquiring a gable attic fan which may not be a walk in the park. In this review, you will find the best gable attic fans for your homes.
You may be one of the individuals who has had to withstand the blazing heat in your attic, especially in the summer. The heat may have destroyed some parts of the attic even when you put all the proper insulation, and you have recently realized that it is the lack of a gable attic fan that is the problem in your attic.
You want to purchase the gable attic fan but have some points that you do not understand. Well, you do not have to worry because this guide will answer some of your queries.
What is a Gable Attic Fan, and How Does It Work?
Gable attic fans are ventilation fans installed on the roof. The installation is done vertically against the gable vent. Gable attic fans can be solar-powered, hardwired into the home’s electrical system, or plugged into standard 120-volt outlets.
The functioning of the gable attic fan is pretty easy. Most gable attic fans (and all those as mentioned above) are automatic. Therefore, when the attic reaches high temperatures, it will turn on and begin bowing out the attic air and moisture.
In the process, the attic fans will pull in fresh air leaving your attic free of moisture and undesirable heat. The gable attic fan usually turns off after the attic temperature reached the desired level.
How Do I Install a Gable Attic Fan?
In the reviews above, there was the constant mention of some of the gable attic fans being easy to install while others are quite hard. You may need the services of a professional.
However, this part of the guide is for those willing to give it a hand and stretch their limits. It is also useful for homeowners who may frequently complain about noise and vibrations. While some of the gable attic fans may naturally have noise, it may be an installation problem.
The first thing that you should note when installing your gable attic fan is that you need to use sound-dampening materials during the installation to reduce or prevent the loud noise.
Some of the materials you could use include but are not limited to rubber mounts and rubber washers on the screws, which work magic to reduce (absorbing) the vibrations.
The next step is installing the gable attic fan on plywood which is followed by the electrical work. The fans that are easy to install will be mostly plugged and play.
However, the others will require some electrical work which you can follow the manufacturer’s instructions. As always, if you shy away from doing electrical work, you can engage a professional’s services.
What are the Benefits of a Gable Attic Fan?
If I were to purchase a gable attic fan for the first time, I would be all over the internet and shops that deal in these fans looking for the benefits of installing a gable attic fan.
Believe me when I say that you will reap a lot of benefits from having this fan in your attic that you initially thought was not possible. Let’s get started on the benefits!
We are always told not to judge a book by its cover, but we are human and cannot help it. Therefore, I would like to start this first benefit by asking you what you think any time you pass over a house and see that it has a faded roof. Some may argue that they do not even notice the roof but just imagine that you noticed it.
A faded roof is less appealing, especially to individuals who are crazy about aesthetics and appearances. It creates the notion of a home that is not well taken care of and perhaps owners who have little interest in maintenance. Gable attic fans can help in preventing this fading of the roof and its premature aging.
Roofing shingles are an indirect product of crude oil as they are made from asphalt. When the roof heats up, it works as if it is cooking up the shingles on the roof, which leads to the faded coloring of the roof, a sign of premature aging.
However, when there is a gable attic fan, the roofing shingles will barely heat up to excessive levels, leading to a prolonged life for the roof without exhibiting faded coloring signs.
We can all agree that a cool house is a comfortable house, and you risk the loss of these two elements if you do not have a gable attic fan in your space. Having a hot attic does not only mean that the attic area will be hot, but it will lead to the alteration of temperatures for the entire house.
The heat that the attic retains during hot days is the same as the heat that would be in a car with its windows closed on any hot day- it is unbearable! The heat then transfers to the interior of the home even when the sun has gone down.
This will keep the occupants uncomfortable, necessitating the acquisition of a gable attic fan to prevent this downward transfer of heat. Here, it is possible to argue that the air conditioner in your home will aid in regulating temperatures.
However, with the high amounts of heat, it will be forced to work harder, which increases the air conditioning costs. It may also reduce the air conditioner’s lifespan, sending you shopping for another one sooner than you had anticipated. Instead of going through all this trouble, why don’t you just acquire a gable attic fan?
Attic mold is dangerous, and one cannot ignore it. It can cause serious health problems to the house occupants as its circulation throughout the house from the attic is inevitable.
It can also cause massive damage and structural deterioration to the roof. Attics are usually prone to the growth of mold as they provide the most appropriate conditions for its growth- darkness, moisture, and wood, which is the source of food.
I am sure that all of us would dread such a situation, so you should get a gable attic fan. It helps to ventilate the attic and reduce moisture availability, preventing the growth of the molds in the attic.
A few years ago, I had a case of ice damming, although it was not severe, and I would not wish a repeat of the same. Those of you who have had similar experiences know that the ice dams tear off gutters, loosen shingles leading to water leaking into the house.
After such an episode, it is almost impossible not to incur the costs of repainting the house and renovating the ceilings. If I had known that a gable attic fan would save me from this trouble, I would have purchased it instantly, and this is one of the benefits that I don’t want you to miss out on.
Poor ventilation of the attic can lead to snow melting instances on the roof from the hot air leaking into the attic. The re-freezing of this melted snow is a recipe for disaster. It causes the formation of the ice dam and inhibits effective roof drainage causing all the damage mentioned at the beginning of this benefit.
Factors to Consider While Purchasing the Best Gable Attic Fan
I have seen so many people ask about the factors they should consider before purchasing their gable attic fans. While it may seem like a monotonous question, I always encourage individuals to seek answers even if they have purchased the equipment before because of their evolving needs and the evolving manufacturer designs in the market.
As such, this section provides some of the factors that you should consider if you are currently shopping for a gabble attic fan.
The first factor that I like talking about is the price. You can want to have the best gable attic fan in the world or even a custom-made one. However, if the price does not meet your budget, you will be in for the biggest shock and disappointment of your life.
Thus, always start by asking yourself how much I plan to spend on a gable attic fan/ you can then shop for the gable attic fans within that price range.
The other important facet to look into is the CFM rating. This determined the amount of air that the gable attic fan can move in sixty seconds. You do not want a gable attic fan that will move little amounts of air for your space, necessitating the purchase of another one.
Therefore, ensure that the fan’s CFM rating that you select matches the size of the attic. Most manufacturers will help with this as they will inform you of the maximum size of an attic for their particular models.
Carbon Monoxide Hazard
One of the factors that I like to insist on is whether the gable attic fan will be a carbon monoxide hazard to your space. The question at this point is how carbon monoxide fits into the gable attic puzzle.
Well, it will not fit if you do not have natural gas-burning appliances. However, if you have appliances such as a gas-fired water furnace without enough venting in the attic, you may want to read on.
Less venting leads to the lack of makeup air which may cause the fan to suck out the home’s interior air that may cause malfunctioning to the gas-burning appliances. The appliances will then exhaust their fumes into the home rather than on the outside, causing carbon monoxide poisoning.
You should, therefore, always ensure that the venting requirements and standards in your house align with the attic fan that you plan to purchase for the prevention of such incidences.
Best Gable Attic Fan
1. QuietCool Smart Attic Gable Fan
- Variable 3-speed Ultra-Energy Efficient ECM
- QuietCool Smart App Control
- Up to 2,830 CFM on high at 163 Watts and Down to 1,343 CFM at 22 Watts
- Fire Safety Sense Shut-off
- Plug and play (no wiring)
The attic moisture is one thing that most of us dread as it can lead to mold growth and build-up. However, purchasing this fan eliminates the problem for you as it comes with an adjustable thermostat and humidistat, which keeps the attic moisture below 60 percent. This ensures that there is no mold growth.
In case there is any fan or electrical faults, this fan will sense it and shut off as it comes with a fire safety sense shutoff preventing damage to your attic. The deal keeps getting better as the fan comes with a smart app control meaning that you can see the current attic temperature and humidity from the comfort of your seat.
The only limitations that users have noted are in regards to its price and the production of noise. However, the features of the fan allow it to have that expensive tag. On the noise, it is in the attic and thus may not be as disturbing.
This is undoubtingly a premium piece of equipment due to its fascinating features. The fan comes with ten different fan speeds amid its high-quality ECM motor. The speeds can change automatically depending on the temperature and the humidity of the attic.
- Fire safety sense shutoff
- There is a smart app control for this equipment.
- The fan comes with ten different speeds.
- It has a thermostat and humidistat.
- Relatively expensive compared to other gable attic fans
- Users have complained that the equipment produces a lot of noise.
2. Amtrak Solar Powered 40-Watt Gable Attic Fan
- New 14 Inch Fan Housing and 50 Watt Solar Panel
- Most Powerful Fan Motor
- High Efficiency Fan Blade
- Made in USA
Fans that are easy to install, whether they are regular fans or gable attic fans, are an immediate attraction to many. The Amtrak Solar Powered 40-Watt Gable Attic Fan is very easy to install as the company provides the instructions for installation, guiding users on which wires go where. Thus, you do not need to be an electrician or an expert of sorts to ease installation.
My favorite feature with this fan is that it is solar-powered. First, the aspect of being solar-powered means that there are no utility bills. You will use the sun, which is free. Second, the fan will operate when there is sunlight (high levels of heat), keeping the attic cool through constant humidity removal.
We all love a long-lasting piece of equipment, and this one provides just that. It is made of metal (both the solar panel and the fan) which makes it durable. You do not have to worry about going for the next shopping spree for a gable attic fan for the next few years.
Users have, however, complained that it is noisy. The fan does not operate at night when most of us are sleeping as there is no sun. Thus, this should not be a major point in eliminating this amazing fan from your shortlist. The thermostat is also sold separately, which may add to your budget unexpectedly.
- Easy installation
- Solar-powered fan making it efficient.
- High-quality solar panel and fan
- The fan is a bit noisy.
- The thermostat is sold separately.
3. Cool Attic CX2500 Gable Attic Fan
- 1650 Cfm (Cubic Feet Per Minute) Superior Energy Efficient Gable Mount Attic Exhaust Ventilator
- Voltage:110 V
Purchasing a gable attic fan does not have to be expensive with the Cool Attic CX2500 Gable Attic Fan, as it comes at quite a budget-friendly price. This, coupled with the fact that it is quieter than the other gable attic fans, is a piece of heaven for potential users.
The piece of equipment also comes with an adjustable thermostat allowing you to adjust the temperatures to a constant degree keeping all areas of the attic uniform.
The fan has a 1650 cfm which is quite high. This ensures that the humidity levels in your attic are in check all the time. The expectation would be that such a device with a high CFM rating is not energy efficient. However, nothing could be further from the truth as the fan is energy efficient.
Users have complained that the fan has unbalanced fan blades. There have also been complaints about the additional costs incurred on installing the gable attic fan as it only comes with four screws and four bolts, necessitating the acquisition of additional stuff.
- A budget-friendly piece of equipment
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat.
- Energy-efficient even with its high CFM
- Relatively quieter compared to other gable attic fans
- One may need some additional stuff when installing.
- Users have complained that it has unbalanced fan blades.
4. Broan 35316 Gable Mount Attic Fan
- HIGH-QUALITY VENTILATOR: Attic ventilator works to remove super-heated attic air in spaces up to 2280 sq. ft. at 1600 CFM
- DURABLE: Housing constructed of galvanized steel ribbed for added strength with mounting for lasting use
- EFFICIENT: 14" diameter steel blade is specially designed for maximum air movement
- DURABLE: Thermally protected, permanently lubricated motor is built to last
- EASY TO USE: Unit operates automatically with an adjustable, built-in thermostat for your convenience
This is another gable attic fan you will acquire without digging deeper into your pockets. It is fairly priced as compared to other gable attic fans that are present in the market. The fan also comes with a built-in thermostat which spares you the agony of purchasing a thermostat separately.
We all love a durable piece of equipment, and the Broan 35316 Gable Mount Attic Fan has this feature. The housing is made of galvanized steel for added strength facilitating extended life for the fan. It also comes with a permanently lubricated motor and is thermally protected, advancing its durability.
Users have also noted that it is an easy-to-use piece of equipment owed to its automatic operations. Further, it is quite easy to install the fan, which eliminates the struggle that comes with looking for electricians or professionals to install the fan.
The only identifiable limitation of this fan is that it is noisy. However, given that it is placed in the attic, most people will only hear the noise from afar, making this not reason enough not to acquire the fan.
- Fairly priced
- Built-in thermostat
- Easy to use
4. iLiving Variable Speed Gable Exhaust Fan
- CUT COOLING COSTS: Reduce expensive cooling bills at home. Ready to install, our wall-mounted automatic shutter vent fan is designed to help to keep your living space cooler and more comfortable year-round.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Perfect cooling and ventilation solution for any space at your home - including the attic, garage, shed, and more.Corrosion-resistant, the fully enclosed motor is thermally protected and permanently lubricated for easy maintenance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: Customize your comfort. iLiving Exhaust Fan has adjustable speed functionality when combined with the iLIVING ILG8SFSC speed controller (sold separately).
- WEATHER RESISTANT SHUTTERS: Constructed from durable, high-grade aluminum, these shutters can withstand moisture and heat longer than other competitors’ products adding to the fan’s longevity.
- POWERFUL AND EFFICIENT: Small but mighty, you’ll enjoy the power and efficiency of iLiving’s Shutter Exhaust Fan. The 12-inch runs onstandard 120 volts at 1/20 HP, 0.60 amps with 1610 rotations per minute, cooling and ventilating an area of 772 cubic feet per minute!
This is one of the most affordable gable attic fans, which makes it a favorite for many. This fan’s affordability does not compromise on the quality that it offers to the users, as it still exhibits many advantages.
One of the pros is that it is easy to install, and we all like fans that provide us with this advantage. It relieves us of the burden of sourcing for installation labor which may add to the costs.
Noise is one of the elements that can drive you from your own house. Even when you are placing the fan in the attic, sometimes you must get peace within your spaces.
The iLiving Variable Speed Gable Exhaust Fan has acceptable noise levels compared to other gable attic fans, which gives you the comfortable and quiet environment that you desire and deserve.
With this fan, it is also possible for you to customize your comfort as it comes with a variable motor speed and a separate controller. However, you must note the variable speed controller is usually sold separately.
The downside of this fan is that it has a weak motor. Thus, the durability of the fan is quite questionable. The motor is also not sealed, which means that humidity may eventually destroy it, once again threatening the fan’s durability.
- Easy to install
- Fairly priced
- It comes with weather-resistant shutters.
- It comes with a variable motor speed and a separate controller.
- Acceptable levels of noise
- Weak motor
5. 20-Watt Gable Solar Attic Fan with Thermostat / Humidistat
- REDUCES YOUR ENERGY BILL… COOLS YOUR ATTIC & HOME… IMPROVES HVAC & FURNACE PERFORMANCE: Summer months bring higher energy bills, partly because of the limited airflow into your Attic! This solar roof-vent fan Cools attics & Automatically keeps your Home Cooler… taking the stress off your Furnace, HVAC & your Wallet!
- POWERED BY FREE SOLAR ENERGY… FIGHTS MOLD & MOISTURE: Finding Mold & Moisture in your home can cause severe consequences to your home’s value and your family’s health. This solar exhaust fan is fueled by the Sun & Automatically Combats Mold & Moisture!
- BUILT-IN HUMIDISTAT & THERMOSTAT… HYBRID ADAPTER TO RUN AT NIGHT (SOLD SEPERATELY): Heat & Moisture damage your attic & can create HUGE repair bills… Remington Solar’s roof ventilation fan includes a Humidistat & Thermostat to automatically change airflow based on your attic’s needs! In addition, it can also be fitted with our Hybrid Adapter (Sold Separately) to Run at Night!
- LIFE-EXTENDING, BRUSHLESS MOTOR… LITTLE-TO-NO-NOISE… HAIL & WEATHER RESISTANT: This Brushless Motor creates no friction & turns your motor without wear, giving your solar roof fan a longer life! It’s also near-inaudible & comes with a Texas Windstorm Document!
- DESIGNED FOR A LIFETIME OF USE… 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: You have nothing to lose! Simply try our solar powered ventilation fan & if for any reason you aren't satisfied, we'll refund EVERY penny within 30-days! We also back the Fan with a limited Lifetime Warranty!
Your wallet no longer has to suffer from this gable attic fan from the high energy bills. This fan is solar-powered, which means that it will use natural energy all through.
I know that most of you may be asking the question of what happens at night if you want to keep the humidity and temperatures in your attic, okay and there is no sun. Well, this fan can run at night with the purchase of a hybrid adapter (separately purchased).
High levels of heat and moisture may excessively damage your attic. This should be no cause for alarm with this gable attic fan as it has a built-in humidistat and thermostat that ensures automatic airflow change.
My favorite part of this fan is its durability. Unless one is under a tight budget that only allows them to get a fan that will serve in the meantime, we would all love durable fans. This is one of the most durable fans as it is aluminum constructed.
Unfortunately, the fan also has its negative side, which is the noise levels. It would be irritating, especially for individuals who may work from their attics. Users have complained that the fan noise can be heard from quite a distance which is irritating.
- Energy efficient
- The fan can also run at night.
- Built-in humidistat and thermostat
I feel that all of us at this point may agree on the need for a gable attic fan. The scorching heat will not be something that we worry about, neither will the attic’s dampness during winters, as we now have insights on the best preventive strategies.
If you are looking for a cheaper option to first try out the fan’s operations, then you have the Cool Attic CX2500 Gable Attic Fan that will quell all your worries at a budget-friendly price. The other options reviewed above may be pricier, but I guarantee you that you will get value for money.