When shopping for an outdoor heater, you might come across different options including the best outdoor infrared heaters.
Infrared heaters produce near-instant heat. You won’t have to wait “a few moments” for the area to warm up.
Better still, infrared heaters are inexpensive to run. A 600-watt infrared heater produces about the same amount of heat as a 1,500-watt electric heater.
When you consider that infrared outdoor heaters are also easier to install and simpler to maintain, you begin to see why the units are currently trendy among residential consumers.
Unfortunately, infrared outdoor heaters come in endless options, which can make the selection a challenge. This guide should help you pick out an excellent unit for your supplemental heating.
Here are some of the best infrared outdoor heaters to consider. Most of these units are moderately priced, versatile, and generate tons of heat.
Best Outdoor Infrared Heaters Reviews 2020
1. Dr. Infrared Heater 1500W carbon infrared heater
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor installations
- Clean, instant and odorless Infrared heat, 900W, 1200W, 1500W
- Plug and go uses standard 120V, remote controlled
- Included wall and Ceiling mounting bracket
- Made with durable and weather proof aluminum
This Dr. Infrared is an indoor heater that also works outdoors. It offers safe, clean, odorless, and instant heat, providing you with gentle, sufficient warmth.
Since it’s very easy to install, plug-and-go model, you can bring it along to the garage, patio, or even in the basement.
The unit offers three heat settings; Low (900 watts), Medium (1,200 watts), and High (1,500 watts). It is remote-controlled, meaning you don’t have to leave the sofa to make heating changes.
The heater is made with durable and weatherproofed anodized aluminum and a wall and ceiling mount.
- Built with durable anodized aluminum
- Comes with a power cord and mounting brackets
- Remote controlled
- Lightweight (at just 6.5lb)
- ETL Listed
- Ideal for small spaces
2. Ener-G+ Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Electric Patio Heater
- Radiant and quiet heater: gold tube technology will deliver heat more efficiently from a distance. The "Red hot" Bulb filament lasts up to 5, 000 hours. Produces an output of 1500 watts. Heater can also connect into a standard 110 volt 60 Hz wall outlet. Bulb is replaceable.
- TOTAL CONVENIENCE: Hands free remote control to allow you to control heat setting and on/off switch.
- ally safe: Zero carbon monoxide emissions - safe for and people.
- Superior quality, safety and reliability: Our heater is ETL certified to meet the highest level of quality and reliability standards. This top certifications ensures the product is safe and reliable to use around you have your family.
- Ultimate Weatherproof protection: Certified and quality tested to withstand the intrusion of dust and rain (Ip24). no need to store away everyday. Safe to use outdoors, even in wet or rainy s.
Recommended for gazebos, pergolas, porches, and everywhere else where you can hang a heater, the Ener-G+ HEA-220000HBR is a 1,500-watt heater with two heat settings – Low (750 watts) and High (1,500 watts).
The IPx4 weatherproofing makes it a useful buddy for the outdoors. It functions excellently even in rainy conditions and doesn’t need to be put away every day. The stylish modern look, with a powder-coated brown finish, ensures elegance and durability.
The heater is lightweight (at 4.8 pounds), easy to carry, and comes with the chain and hook needed for installation. It has a one-year warranty.
- Weatherproof build
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- No carbon monoxide emissions
- One-year warranty
- The chain is a bit short
- You need to get very close to feel the warmth
3. DONYER POWER 1500W Electrical Patio Heater
- ※ [ Easy for installation ]: A 39.4in/1m adjustable chain can disassemble and adjust the distance at any time and the most appropriate height for hanging is 70.9in to prevent children and pets from touching
- ※ [ Professional and reliable ]: This heater has been certified with CE/GS/LVD/EMC/IP24
- ※ [ Halogen heating pipes ]: Two halogen heating pipes can increase temperature quickly with a long life span for use and environmental protection, 360°all round heating
- ※ [ Use for indoor & outdoor activities ]: This heater can be installed on indoor and outdoor ceilings, such as living room, garden, balcony, outdoor terrace and camping BBQ area
Another very light (7.09lb) heater that’s very easy to handle and move around, the DONYER is a 110-135-Volt, 50Hz, 1,500-watt heater recommended for spaces up to 65 square feet. This makes it a great acquisition for balconies, outdoor terraces, gardens, and BBQ areas.
It has two heat modes – Low (600 watts) and High (1,500 watts). Two halogen pipes increase the temperature quickly while resisting high temperatures for long-life use. The warmth is emitted in 360 degrees.
The unit comes with a 39.4-inch/1m adjustable chain for easy installation. It is certified with IP24 and comes in a striking copper finish.
- Lightweight and highly portable
- Luminous lighting
- 360-degree heating
- IP24 and CE approved
- Two heat settings
- No remote control
4. UFO S-15 Electric Infrared Heater
- Quick and instant heating (feel the heat within seconds, like the sun)
- Energy efficient heat, nearly all of energy converted into heat. Low operating costs, pennies an hour to operate
- Weather proof, it is approved for both indoor and outdoor use. Heat is produced not affected by wind or air.
- Adjustable thermostat levels, for optimum indoor and outdoor comfort
- Safe and odorless heat. Eco friendly, does not consume oxygen and does not dry the air. Wall, Ceiling or Optional Stand mount options. The unit does not come with a stand. Heater comes with adjustable hanging brackets. 8-ft cord, high quality and durable aluminum housing. Easy to install, step by step instructions provided
An even more powerful heater designed for larger spaces, the 1,500-watt S-15 from UFO is ideal for up to 161 square feet indoors and at least 108 square feet when used outside. It uses the standard 110-volt home outlet.
This unit features a built-in thermostat for easy heat control. It has five heating levels. You’ll also love the fact that it takes just 27 seconds for the heat to be felt at the end of the room.
The heater’s corrosion protected aluminum case and reflector structure ensure that the heat is concentrated where it’s needed most. The unit weighs just 5.8 pounds and comes with a two-year full replacement warranty.
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum build
- 12,000-hour filament life
- All brackets included
- 8-foot cord included
- Two-year full-replacement warranty
- It makes a little noise when starting
5. Heat Storm Tradesman Outdoor Garage and Patio Infrared Space Heater
- This is the perfect outdoor heating solution, featuring a weatherproof rating of IP35
- Safer and cleaner to use. Does not output CO2 like propane or natural gas heaters that burn fossil fuels. No dangerous tanks, no plumbing and no ventilation needed. Mount horizontally or vertically
- 6.5 foot long three pronged cord. This comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty
- NOTE: Will not mount on ceiling or turn on unless black box is mounted vertical. Tip-over safety switch will only allow to turn on when mounted to Heat Storm Accessory or the wall. (no ceiling mounted operation)
A Tradesman Outdoor Infrared Quartz heater, the HS-1500-OTR from Heat Storm is a plug-in unit that’s easy to set up and use. It comes with a 6.5 foot long, three-pronged cord for installation and easy movement.
It doesn’t require any gas tanks and also doesn’t produce harmful gases. It’s also weatherproofed, and IP35 certified for safe use. Remember that the black box must be installed vertically for the unit to work. The ceiling operation is not supported.
The unit is made from aluminum plate and features a quartz tube and copper codes. It weighs 5.0 pounds and comes with a three-year warranty.
- cTUVus and IP35 certified
- Wall mountable
- IPx4 waterproof
- Tip-over protection
- Durable aluminum case
- 3-year warranty
- Noise can be an issue
6. Simple Deluxe Patio Outdoor Heater
- Rapid Heating: Fast heating and never wait, you can easily get a warm and comfortable space with this electric heater in 3 second. And the infrared technology can improve blood circulation and promote metabolism.
- Overheat Protection: When the temperature of the heater is too high, it will stop working and ensure your safety.
- Remote Control: Remote control to adjust mode , timer and power from a distance. If you press the Timer Function button, the heater can automatically turn off after 2 hours.
- Perfect for Indoors and Outdoors: Built-in carbon fiber heating tube, the infrared heater is efficient and saves energy. The waterproof and wall-mounted design allows it to be installed in balcony, courtyard, garage, living rooms, bedrooms, offices, patios and restaurants, so your winter is no longer cold.
- Quality Assured: Simple Deluxe Outdoor Heater is ETL- Listed, and offers you 2-Year quality assurance and lifetime support. Customer service office provides 100% satisfaction service.
As you may be aware, one of the significant advantages of infrared heaters is that they deliver heat almost instantly.
You never have to wait for the heating element to warm up. This Simple Deluxe unit gets heat to the furthest point in the area you’re heating in just three seconds.
It is also remote controlled and has a timer so you can program your heating as you desire. If you press the timer function on the remote, the heater goes off automatically after two hours.
The unit features a built-in carbon fiber heating tube for increased efficiency and overheat protection if temperatures rise too high. It comes with a two-year warranty.
- Waterproof, wall-mountable design
- Overheat protection
- Remote controlled
- Has a timer
- ETL listed
- 2-year warranty
- Light is a bit too strong
7. Fire Sense Umbrella Halogen Patio Heater
- Attaches to any standard patio table umbrella center pole
- Indoor/outdoor infrared heater produces no harmful UV rays
- Silent operation and full heat output within seconds
- Powered by standard household outlet; infrared heat unaffected by wind
- Measures 39 by 4 by 3.3 inches; weighs 8 pounds
- 3 x 500 watt power
The Umbrella halogen heater from Fire Sense runs on regular household electric current and is adaptable for use either indoors or outdoors. Raise the umbrella heads individually until they click into place.
The unit features three heating heads, each rated at 500 watts. In total, therefore, the 60404 provides 1,500 watts. All the units are made from lightweight but durable steel. They spot a gorgeous black finish for exceptional versatility.
The heaters attach easily to any patio table umbrella center pole. An 8-foot nonretractable electrical cord allows for easy installation.
- Straightforward installation
- Whisper-quiet operation
- It’s powered by a standard outlet
- Weighs a paltry 8 pounds
- The heat might not be as strong as you desire
8. XtremepowerUS Electric Patio Heater
- Use It Everywhere - Engineered for both indoor and outdoor wall mounted use - perfect for home, BBQ areas, garages, outdoor patios or decks with roofs, etc
- Instant Heat - Use carbon fiber tube and high rated aluminum reflector to produce instant heat in less than 10s which provides you warmth and comfort. (1500-Watt)
- Impressive Design - The infrared heater combines anodized extruded aluminum alloy housing with aluminum reflector which makes it more upmarket and durable. Pull string switch offer more convenience as well.
- Multi-Use Heater - With a pair of super-efficient (2) LED allows to pull double duty as a floor lamp as well
- Safe and Environmentally Friendly - Producing no odors, chemicals, or fumes. Ideal for gazebos, patios, outdoor cafes and restaurants, garages, balconies, workshops, and any other outdoor living space.
As you may have found out by now, most of the products on this list require some form of installation, with the majority being wall installed.
However, if you’re looking for a plug-and-go model that stands on its own, the Model 96961 from XtremePowerUS would be a thoughtful pick. The unit also installs on the wall (if you were wondering).
Something else about the unit that stands out is the aluminum reflector. Aluminum makes an excellent reflector but is also extremely durable. The unit’s housing is also made of aluminum. It weighs around 10 pounds.
- Durable aluminum build
- Works as a lamp as well
- Has three heat settings
- Uses a pull string switch
- The mounting bracket is bulky
- No remote control
9. Muskoka Lifestyle Products SunWave 2000W 220-240V Commercial Infrared Heater
- New release 2017* This is one of our commercial units and requires a 220V outlet (NOT 110V). Perfect for Horse stables, patios, decks, hot tub & BBQ areas, garages, warehouses and workshops Comes with Adjustable up/ down wall mount bracket.
- Weather Proof IP65 rating. Highest rating possible for harsh environments. Indoor/Outdoor
- Indoor and outdoor use.
- Dimensions: 24" X 12" X 15" Weight: 10 LBS Outdoor Range: 15' plus in line of sight Color: Black Voltage: 220~240V Wattage: 2000 W-60Hz 8.5 Amp
- 90 day warranty covering factory defects
The Muskoka MUS1520 Sun Wave is the most powerful product on this list at 2,000 watts. It’s also one of the best infrared outdoor heaters.
Weatherproofed with an IP65 rating, it withstands the harshest environments, making it an excellent standby heating option for garages and warehouses. The heavy-duty aluminum housing further improves its durability.
The Sun Wave installs to any wall or a choice of stands (sold separately). The mounting bracket is included. It comes with a 90-day warranty for factory defects.
- Heavy-duty aluminum housing
- Weatherproofed for durability
- Incredibly powerful at 2,000 watts
- 90-day warranty on factory defects
- Requires a 220V outlet
- Most expensive on this list
- Stands sold separately
10. Versonel Infrared Electric Parasol Patio Heater VSLPH30
- Produces instant and comfortable heat like the sun
- These robust and weatherproof heaters are designed for domestic and commercial heating applications within indoor and outdoor areas.
- Slim design, strong efficiency
- This little powerhouse boasts 1500w of heat
- 5120 BTUs of Heat
Finally, the innovative, dependable VSLPH30 from Versonel is another worthy option when shopping for an outdoor heater.
The unit is built with durable aluminum and weatherproofed to withstand harsh outdoor conditions. It’s rated at 1,500 watts.
It features a large parabolic reflector for optimal heat output. The heat is felt almost instantly and can be felt up to five meters away. The heating element has a 6,000-hour lifespan.
The 5.94-pound heater uses standard 120-volt household electrical outlets. It’s an excellent choice for outdoor patios or decks with roofs.
- It’s an inexpensive heater
- Slim design takes very little space
- Weatherproofed for durability
- Delivers up to 5120 BTU
- Has no timer
- No warranty
The best outdoor infrared heaters can be a wonderful heating solution during the cold months. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and, above all, don’t cost much to run or maintain.
The only challenge is picking the right one. Given that the units come in so many styles and performance options, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when shopping. But, if you can follow this guide, you should be able to identify a great infrared heater to transform your patio, verandah, balcony, or other areas of the outdoors.
Other Types of Patio Heaters