Cooling a large room can be difficult and expensive, especially if you choose the wrong air conditioner.
If you intend to use a portable AC for a large room, you must choose one appropriate for your space to prevent wasting energy or using one that’s doesn’t adequately cool your room.
While most portable units are designed for small confined spaces, you can still find the best portable air conditioner for large rooms.
However, the process of finding the most suitable unit can be tiresome, which is why we have created this guide to help you.
Here are 8 units that will cool rooms between 500 to 750 square feet.
Best Portable Air Conditioner For Large Rooms
1. De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
The De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner is highly powerful and perfectly designed. It has a proprietary surround technology that enables it to distribute air evenly and rapidly within a room.
This quickly creates a comfortable environment around the house. This surround technology blends with this air conditioner’s cooling capacity to enable it to sufficiently condition the air in large spaces of up to 700 square feet.
This air conditioner is highly efficient in the utilization of energy. It has a feature called Eco Feel that automatically adjusts its performance to the ambient temperature changes.
This makes the air conditioner optimize its cooling operations and minimize the consumption of power. You may end up saving 30% of the power that you would otherwise utilize in running an air conditioner that does not have this energy-saving feature.
The only drawback of using this air conditioner that one can think of relates to its portability. Highly portable air conditioners have caster wheels that one can use to roll them around the house.
However, you will have to carry your De’Longhi Pinguino Deluxe 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner whenever you need to move it to a different room because it lacks caster wheels.
- Effective performance, thanks to a large hose that measures 51 by 5 inches and the surround technology
- Efficient utilization of energy through the automatic adjustment feature
- Highly compact and modern design enhances the aesthetics of a room
- The air conditioner does not have caster wheels to enhance portability
2. Friedrich ZoneAire PH14B Portable Room Air Conditioner
The Friedrich ZoneAire PH14B has some great features that make it one of the ideal air conditioners for large indoor areas.
It is a three-in-one device that you can use for any of the following functions: cooling, fanning, and dehumidifying the air. When set on the default mode, it cools the air in large spaces up to 750 square feet, thanks to its massive BTU rating of 13,500.
The dehumidification mode is also amazing. You have to use neither bucket nor pipes to remove the condensate. This air conditioner has a special self-evaporation technology that ensures the automatic discarding of the condensate that accumulates.
Operating this air conditioner is a breeze. It has a remote control that you can use to adjust all the aspects of its functioning. More so, it has a unique feature that enables it to restart if it suddenly goes off automatically. This saves you the time you would otherwise have to spend resetting it in the event of a brief interruption in the supply of power.
- The remote control and auto-restart feature enhance your convenience
- It a highly functional device with three distinct modes of operation
- Massive cooling capacity of 13,500 BTUs
- The air conditioner is slightly noisy
3. SPT WA-1420E: 14,000BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Some of the features that make the SPT WA-1420E a wonderful choice of an air conditioner include an inbuilt timer with 24 hours, inbuilt safety features, and a massive cooling capacity. With a BTU rating of 14,000, this air conditioner can effectively cool vast spaces that measure about 750 square feet.
The inbuilt programmable timer lets you determine the period that the air conditioner should run. You can choose any span if it does not exceed 24 hours. This gives you absolute control over the operating costs and performance of the air conditioner.
The only notable problem with using this air conditioner is that it creates a low level of negative pressure in the house. This is because it uses a single-hose exhaust system instead of a double-hose one. Nevertheless, you can get the best from this air conditioner despite its single-hose exhaust system.
- Highly portable because of the durable caster wheels and compact design
- It has a programmable timer for easy and efficient use
- The air conditioner has a massive cooling capacity of 14,000 BTUs
- It has a single-hose exhaust system
4. Frigidaire FFPH1422U1Portable Air Conditioner
If you are looking for an air conditioner that is the perfect combination of design and functionality, consider using the Frigidaire FFPH1422U1.
This air conditioner has an exquisite modern look with a matching black finish. When placed in any room, it quickly enhances the interior décor and ambiance of the space.
Apart from the design, this air conditioner is highly effective in cooling the air in indoor spaces up to 700 square feet. Its onboard thermostat lets you determine the proper temperature for the air inside your room.
Besides, you can use this air conditioner throughout the year. It is a three-in-one device that can be used to cool, warm, or dehumidify the room’s air.
When it is set on its default mode, this air conditioner effectively dehumidifies the air while cooling the temperature. The condensate that is collected because of the humidification process is automatically evaporated from the device. This mode of action saves you the trouble of using pumps and buckets to remove the condensate.
- Useful throughout the year as a cooling, dehumidifying, and supplemental heating device
- Highly portable because of the four caster wheels
- Easy maintenance: it has a reusable filter
- Relatively noisy
5. Thermocore T2-PACH-14 14000 BTU portable Ac unit Air conditioner
One of the most outstanding features of the Thermocore T2-PACH-14 is its massive cooling power. With a BTU rating of 14,000, this air conditioner can sufficiently cool the air in large indoor spaces.
Besides, it has multiple settings that let users personalize its performance. The settings range from fan speed, the desired temperature using the inbuilt thermostat, and the timer’s span of operation.
The LED display panel and remote control make things very easy for users. The remote control lets you entirely change all the functions of this air conditioner. The LED display and digital controls enable you to achieve the desired level of precision when altering this air conditioner’s functioning.
The only notable negative thing about this air conditioner is that it has a very high-power utilization rate. Its 1580 wattage rating is far higher than that of other air conditioners with a similar BTU rating of about 14,000. This means that you may end up paying more when running this air conditioner.
- Massive performance with a cooling capacity or 14,000 BTUs
- Easy to operate using a remote control and LED display panel
- Ultra-silent operation with a noise level of about 40dB
- High power utilization rate: 1580W
6. Honeywell HL14CESWB Air Conditioner
The Honeywell HL14CESWB is a powerful and robust air conditioner, complete with dual filters and advanced control features, including a remote control, timer, and onboard thermostat.
The dual filters are quite useful because they ensure that you breathe air free of all contaminants. The good news is that the dual filters are quite long-lasting and effective in filtering out pollutants from the air inside the room.
In addition to its excellent performance features, the Honeywell HL14CESWB has all the advanced inbuilt safety features you would expect to get in a modern air conditioner. Notably, it has a unique overload protection feature that prevents it from overheating if an electrical fault occurs when it is running.
This air conditioner has a noise level of about 50dB. Air conditioners with this range of noise levels are deemed slightly noisy. The noise they produce when running may be high enough to interfere with light sleepers’ sleep if the air conditioner is placed in the bedroom.
- High cooling capacity sufficient for 700 square feet areas
- It utilizes the self-evaporative method of dehumidification
- Quick installation and effortless maintenance
- Slightly high noise level of about 50dB
7. Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
If you are looking for an air conditioner that excels in terms of safety features, consider using the Whynter ARC-14S. Apart from being UL-listed, it has advanced safety features, the most common one being overload protection.
The air conditioner automatically goes off when there is a danger of overheating. This prevents fire accidents at home. Moreover, this air conditioner does not lose its settings when it goes off automatically to prevent overloading. It stores the settings in its short-term memory and resumes operating as before. This saves you the trouble of constantly having to reset it.
Its capacity to cool the air in your room is amazing. Its 14,000 BTU rating is enough to cool the air in large spaces that measure even 700 square feet. In addition to this, the air conditioner can move 253 cubic feet of air every minute and collect 71 pints of humidity from the air every 24 hours.
Sadly, this air conditioner has a single-hose ventilation system. Air conditioners that have this mode of ventilation create a small negative pressure indoors when they are running.
The good news is that you will hardly feel the negative effects of the small difference in pressure between the indoors and outdoors environment when using this air conditioner.
- It is UL listed in addition to having safety features
- It has an extendable exhaust hose of 60 inches
- High airflow capacity of 253 CFM
- The air conditioner has a single-hose ventilation system
8. Honeywell HL14CESWB Air Conditioner
The Honeywell HL14CESWB is a powerful air conditioner with all the features you would expect to find in an advanced three-in-one device.
Its capacity to dehumidify, cool and warm air in indoor environments is excellent. The dehumidification rate of this air conditioner is 111 pints every 24 hours.
Interestingly, it utilizes the continuous evaporation mode of dehumidification. Thus, you do not have to worry about manually emptying the condensate when the air conditioner is running.
This air conditioner has all the features that one would expect to find in such an advanced device. Of the greatest importance is the overload protection feature. This feature helps to prevent overheating of the air conditioner even when a major electrical fault occurs.
In addition to the overload protection feature is the UL-listing. This accreditation means that the air conditioner has been subjected to rigorous tests and found to be very effective and safe for use.
As is the case with all products, the Honeywell HL14CESWB is not without faults. When you set its fan speed at the highest level, it produces a reasonable level of noise that reaches the rate of about 50dB. This noise level may be loud enough to distract you if you need to be in a tranquil environment.
- Compact design with caster wheels for quick portability
- Powerful, rapid, and even cooling capacity
- Easy-to-use controls, including a LED display panel and a remote control
- The air conditioner is slightly noisy
Pros and Cons of Portable Air Conditioners
Portable air conditioners have various advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the main ones you need to consider before choosing to use a portable air conditioner in your home.
Remember that these advantages and disadvantages are relative to the central air conditioning system.
Pros of Portable Air Conditioners
- Easy installation. Compared to central air conditioning systems, portable air conditioners are easy to install. You will incur minimal costs to get your portable air conditioner up and running. These devices come with all the things that you need to install them. You do not need the help of a technician to install a portable air conditioner in your house.
- Effective for zonal cooling. Portable air conditioners are ideal for cooling the air in specific areas of the house. It would be wise to use a portable air conditioner in rooms full of people most of the time. This approach saves you energy and other costs of cooling the air in rooms and spaces in the house that are not occupied.
- Easy to operate. Modern portable air conditioners come with the most advanced control features, including a LED display panel and a remote control. These control features make it easy for you to operate your portable air conditioner from the comfort of your seat or even bed.
- Aesthetic value. Unlike central air conditioning systems, portable air conditioners are small and stand-alone devices that you can move around and place anywhere in the room. You can use a portable air conditioner to enhance your room’s feel by choosing one which has a design and finish that match the interior décor of your room.
Cons of Portable Air Conditioners
- Heavy maintenance. Although you will not need technical skills to install a portable air conditioner, you will spend some time maintaining it. Maintenance procedures for portable air conditioners often involve checking the exhaust system and cleaning the air filters. These procedures take time and are relatively involving.
- Limited cooling capacity. Portable air conditioners are small devices with limited cooling capacity, despite additional functionalities like dehumidification. You will need a central air conditioning system to cool the air in the entire house effectively.
How to Correctly Size a Portable Air Conditioner for Your Home
It is not easy to determine the accurate BTU requirements of a room. This is because many factors determine the amount of energy that is needed to sufficiently cool the room.
However, it is possible to estimate the range of BTUs required to cool a space. One can then use the estimates to determine the right size of an air conditioner to purchase.
Often, it is easier to assume that the bigger an air conditioner, the better it is. This is misleading. Using an overpowerful air conditioner in small room results in a waste of energy.
Similarly, if you choose a low-capacity air conditioner for a large room, you will end up wasting a lot of electric energy keeping it running all the time. Interestingly, the small air conditioner will be unable to cool the air in the large room sufficiently.
The golden rule of estimating an air conditioner’s size for your space is as follows: for every square foot of space, you need 20 BTUs. Therefore, if your room measures 10 feet by 30 feet, you need at least 6,000 BTUs to sufficiently cool it.
Remember that the actual number of BTUs varies with things like the height of the ceiling, the prevailing weather conditions, and the number of other appliances that generate heat in the room.
You will need additional BTUs to cool a kitchen than a living room. Similarly, you will need more BTUs to effectively cool the air in a room with a high ceiling than one with a low one.
How Long Does a Portable AC Take to Cool a Room?
Averagely, an air conditioner can lower a room’s temperature by 10 degrees Fahrenheit in 15 minutes. Therefore, the total length of time depends on how much you would like the air temperature in the room to drop.
Air conditioners’ speed effectively cools a room depending on its performance features. Air conditioners with superior performance features tend to cool the air in a room faster than those with average performance features.
Conditioners with three fan speeds and massive air moving capacities tend to cool the air in indoor areas more quickly than those with few fan speeds and less power for moving the air.
Air conditioners’ air moving capacity and related devices are measured in terms of cubic feet per minute, or CFM. The best air conditioners have CFM rates of even 250. Less effective air conditioners have CFM ratings of even 115.
Air conditioners with three fan speeds tend to cool the air faster than those with only two fan speeds. Three fan speeds allow users to select the appropriate speed from a broad range of options. Thus, the air conditioners’ fans are set at the highest speed possible and effectively create a cool breeze in the room.
Can a Portable AC Cool Multiple Room?
Although traditionally, a portable air conditioner is designed to cool the air temperature in its immediate surrounding, in practice, this is not often the case. The cooling effect of a standard portable air conditioner can be felt in the rooms adjacent to the one in which the air conditioner is placed.
Some of the biggest air conditioners are designed to cool rooms that are as large as 700 square feet. The air conditioners have inbuilt fans that create a cool breeze that sweeps across the room.
If the room’s partitioning with the adjacent ones contains multiple openings like large doors that are open, large amounts of the cool breeze will find their way to the neighboring rooms.
Thus, a slight cooling effect will be felt in the other rooms as well. Remember that the cooling effect may not be as strong as what one in the room in which the air conditioner is positioned will feel.
How Long can you Run a Portable Air Conditioner Continuously?
You can run your portable air conditioner all day and night. The devices are designed with fantastic safety features to prevent overheating and related accidents.
Also, modern air conditioners have programmable timers and thermostats that you can use to determine the period and range of cooling at which they work.
However, it is not a good idea to let your air conditioner run continuously through the day and night. If you let this happen, you will end up paying a lot for power.
More so, it may not be necessary to run your air conditioner continuously for 24 hours because at night, the temperatures may fall within a comfortable range.
Other Things to Consider When Choosing a Portable Air Conditioner
Although the size or capacity is an essential factor to consider when purchasing an air conditioner, it is not the only one.
Here are other equally important factors that one should consider before choosing an air conditioner.
- Go for air conditioners with advanced control features, including remote control, digital controls, and a LED display panel. Such features let you conveniently operate your air conditioner and precisely determine the ideal temperature at which it should run.
- Safety features. The best air conditioners have inbuilt safety features, including overload protection. In addition to the overload protection, the best air conditioners are UL- listed. This means that they have undergone rigorous safety tests before being made available to the market.
- Dehumidification methods. The most advanced air conditioners have the self-evaporative mode of dehumidification. The concentrate immediately evaporates from the air conditioner. You do not have to think about ways of emptying the moisture from the portable air conditioner. For those that lack this technology, one has to devise manual means of removing the condensate. This often entails using a pump.