When it comes to cooling your home during summer, portable air conditioners are just perfect. Gone are the days where you needed a fat budget to install a central air conditioning system. You can now get the best portable air conditioner under $300.
With a portable air conditioner, you don’t need to worry about installing ductwork or wasting money using your central air conditioning to cool one room.
The best part about portable ACs is the ease with which you can move them. It’s easy to relocate them from one room to room without any hassle.
For your next purchase, we have prepared this detailed review of the best models currently available.
Best Portable Air Conditioner Under 300
1. SereneLife SLPAC8 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The SLPAC8 is an ideal portable air conditioner for small indoor spaces, including bedrooms, offices, and any other room in your home. It has all the features you would expect to find in a small and compact portable air conditioner.
Thanks to its compact design and lightweight, you can quickly carry it across the house and position it appropriately. This is important if you need to carry out zonal or spot cooling in your home.
Operating this small and effective portable air conditioner is a breeze. It has three modes of operation from which you can choose: cooling, dehumidifying, and fan-only. When set on the dehumidifying mode, this unit effectively maintains air quality in your house by removing excess moisture.
The remote control provides a highly convenient way of operating this device. You can use the remote control to change every aspect of its operation.
However, you will have to purchase the batteries of the remote control separately. Nevertheless, this is a small problem, considering the performance of the SLPAC8.
- It has advanced control features, including remote control and various fan modes
- Highly portable because of its compact design and lightweight
- Powerful air cooling and dehumidifying capacity for small indoor spaces
- The remote control comes without batteries
2. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
The MIDEA MAP08R1CWT is a highly portable and effective portable air conditioner perfect for small indoor spaces. It has four caster wheels that make it a highly portable cooling unit for use in the home or office. You can move it to any desired location within a room by rolling it on the floor.
It has a built-in dehumidifier that you can take advantage of to maintain the air quality in your room. This portable air conditioner’s dehumidifying capacity can be beneficial if you live in an area where the weather becomes quite humid, even during hot days.
You do not need technical skills to get this device up and running. It comes with a complete and easy-to-install window kit. Once you put the kit in place, your MIDEA MAP08R1CWT will be ready to start cooling the air inside the room.
However, this portable air conditioner creates a slightly negative air pressure indoors because it has a single-hose venting mode.
- It has digital controls, and an easy-to-read LED display
- Easy to set up because it comes with a window kit
- Highly portable because of the caster wheels
- It creates a slightly negative pressure indoors because it uses a single-hose mode of ventilation
3. TCL 8P33 Portable Air Conditioner
If you are looking for a small but powerful portable air conditioner with dehumidification capability, consider using a TCL 8P33.
With a cooling capacity of 8,000 BTUs and a powerful fan system with adjustable speeds, this air conditioner provides exceptional performance. You can use it to create and maintain a comfortable indoor environment in spaces that measure as much as 200 feet.
It comes with a remote control that you can use to adjust every aspect of its functioning, from fan speed to operation mode. Thus, you do not have to get off your seat to change the fan’s speed of this portable air conditioner. Besides, the LED display unit comes in handy because you can read the figures from a distance.
However, like all small portable air conditioners, the TCL 8P33 has a single hose for exhausting the hot air that it sucks from your room. The device relies on the same hose to take in cool air for its internal use. This mode of operation is less effective than that one that utilizes two hoses.
- It has a timer and remote control for your convenience
- Multiple fan speeds complement the powerful cooling capacity of this device for your comfort
- Easy to operate using the LED display
- It uses a single-hose exhaust method
4. COSTWAY Portable Air Conditioner
The COSTWAY Portable Air Conditioner is an easy-to-use, highly portable, and efficient device for small indoor spaces.
It comes with multiple settings options and other features that you would expect to find in a modern portable air conditioner. The inbuilt timer makes things easy for you; you can use it to set the device to operate for any period up to 24 hours.
You can also choose from three modes of operation: dry, cool, and fan-only. The fan has two-speed settings that you can use to ensure that the device performs according to your needs.
The only disadvantage of using the COSTWAY Portable Air Conditioner relates to its noise level. When operating at the high fan speed mode, this air conditioner can produce noise that is equivalent to 56dB. This noise level is slightly high, considering that an air conditioner can have a noise level of under 40dB.
- Easy to operate using the remote
- It does not require heavy maintenance
- It has various settings, including two fan speeds and three modes of operating for your comfort
- It is slightly noisy with a level of about 56dB
5. Haier 8,500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The Haier Portable Air Conditioner is a small, aesthetically appealing, and effective device that can be the perfect solution for a small indoor space. It has a cooling capacity of 8,500BTUs, which is high enough to keep small rooms and offices cool even during sweltering days.
The portable air conditioner is remote control-enabled and has an inbuilt timer. You can use the timer to determine the period when the air conditioner can run conveniently. Also, the remote control provides a very convenient method of operating this air conditioner.
This portable air conditioner provides great aesthetic value to your home. It has a modern design with beautifully curved edges and a matching sparkling white finish. When positioned at a prominent place in your living room, it can perfectly enhance the room’s overall look and feel.
However, you may find the Haier Portable Air Conditioner slightly noisy. This becomes clear when you set it on the high-speed fan mode, and its noise level reaches about 57dB. This noise level may be high enough to cause distractions when you need your room to be completely quiet.
- Small compact design enhances portability
- The portable air conditioner has an aesthetic appeal because of its modern design and white finish
- It has a dehumidifying capacity
- The device is slightly noisy
6. Vremi 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
One of the most notable features of the Vremi Portable Air Conditioner relates to its cooling capacity. Thanks to its 10,000 BTU capacity, this portable air conditioner can effectively cool the air in relatively large indoor spaces that measure up to 350 square feet.
Moreover, it has multiple settings and operating modes that you can use to make your life quite comfortable. You can choose its mode of operating from four options: dry, sleep, cool, and fan. The sleep mode is ideal for letting you rest comfortably at night without the distraction of a noisy air conditioner.
You will find it easy to use this portable air conditioner for zonal conditioning of air. It has four highly durable caster wheels that you can use to roll the device around the room to the right position. This makes it easy to create and maintain the perfect air conditions indoors.
- Thanks to its 10,000 BTU capacity, it can cool relatively large areas
- It has multiple settings, including a 24-hour adjustable timer, four operating modes, and different fan speeds
- Highly portable because of the caster wheels
- It uses a single hose for exhausting the hot air
7. CCH YPL3-10C-CCH 10000 Btu Portable Air Conditioner
One of the most significant benefits of using a portable air conditioner, in general, is that you do not have to spend a lot of time installing or maintaining the device.
The CCH YPL3-10C-CCH lets you enjoy these benefits. It comes with a window kit that enables you to get it up and running in a matter of minutes.
It also does not require heavy maintenance procedures. Once you have this air conditioner running, you may only have to check its filters occasionally. One may have to do this only once per year.
Thanks to a BTU capacity of 10,000, your CCH YPL3-10C-CCH can sufficiently cool the air in rooms that measure up to 300 square feet. Therefore, you can comfortably use it in the bedroom or small office.
The only notable disadvantage of using the CCH YPL3-10C-CCH is that the portable air conditioner is slightly loud. You may find that the air conditioner’s noise produces a distraction if you need the room to be completely quiet.
- Easy installation because it comes with a window kit
- The air conditioner requires minimal maintenance procedures
- Ideal for cooling the air in rooms that are as large as 300 square feet
- The air conditioner is relatively noisy
What are Portable Air Conditioners?
Portable air conditioners are small electric devices that remove excess heat from rooms or entire houses. A typical portable air conditioner has a network of tubes and a special type of fluid called refrigerant. These devices also have exhaust kits that comprise long pipes that pass through any of the windows of your house.
The primary purpose of using portable air conditioners is to cool a room. These devices are ideal if you do not have a central AC system in your home or office.
Also, you may consider using a portable air conditioner in areas that require additional cooling. The refrigerant absorbs heat from the air in the room when the portable air conditioner is working. The excess heat is then channeled across the hose through the window to the outside of the room.
Modern portable air conditioners have many features to enhance their usefulness. Notably, some common brands have a dehumidifier that removes excess moisture that may accumulate in a room.
Thus, using a portable air conditioner with a dehumidifier helps cool the room and maintain the air quality indoors. Other standard features of portable air conditioners include programmable timers, multiple speeds, and remote controls. All these features let you adjust the air conditioner’s performance to your needs at any given time.
When to Use a Portable Air Conditioner
You will often be at a loss to decide whether you need to use a portable air conditioner. Here are situations that make it necessary to acquire and use a portable air conditioner.
- When you need supplementary or spot cooling. Portable air conditioners provide additional cooling in large houses where the central air conditioning system’s effect is not sufficient. Alternately, you may use a portable air conditioner in large spaces to cool areas that notoriously remain hot, inclusive of kitchens.
- You need to keep your windows open. Unlike window units, portable air conditioners will not block your windows. It will be an excellent idea to use portable air conditioners if you need to keep your house’s windows open for the sunshine or fresh air.
- The weather is often humid. Portable air conditioners have inbuilt dehumidifiers that help to keep the air indoors comfortable. If the air in your house or office often gets quite humid, consider using a portable air conditioner during the hot days to keep the temperatures down and maintain the air’s quality indoors.
Factors that Determine the Effectiveness of Portable Air Conditioners
Many would-be buyers of portable air conditioners often ask themselves whether these devices are worth it. Well, the answer to this question lies in how several seemingly unrelated factors determine the outcome of using your portable air conditioner.
Creating and maintain a cool environment in your house maybe even more expensive than getting additional heat. As we move towards the summer, expect to spend a lot of money keeping your indoor environment cool using either a central air conditioner or a portable one.
Here are some of the factors that determine how effective a portable air conditioner can be.
The hotter it is, the more expensive it will be to maintain the desired levels’ indoor temperature. There will be a considerable amount of hot air during scorching days that will have to be moved from the indoor environment to the outdoors.
Therefore, your portable air conditioner will work harder and for longer to keep the indoor environment cool enough for your comfort. You will have a small amount of hot air to be moved to the outside during less hot days.
Cost of Electric Power
The cost of electric power determines how effective your portable air conditioner will be. If the rates of electricity keep fluctuating, depending on the prevailing weather condition, it will be more useful to use an air conditioner when the rates are low than when they are high.
Using your portable air conditioner for long translates into increased costs of cooling the air in your house.
The Size of the Room
The room size that you would like to keep cool determines how effective it is to use a portable air conditioner. A rule of thumb is that you should always use an air conditioner with the matching capacity to cool your room.
Using a large air conditioner in a small room would be ineffective because the air conditioner’s excess capacity would be wasted.
Similarly, if you use a small air conditioner in a large room, you will pay a lot for electric power because the device will have to run endlessly, and yet it would not adequately cool the room.
Pros and Cons of Using a Portable Air Conditioner
When you must cool your room, you will have to choose from a range of options that includes a typical portable air conditioner, a window air conditioner, and the conventional central air conditioner.
Here are some of the benefits of using a portable air conditioner over the other options.
- Ease of installation. Your portable air conditioner comes ready for use. You do not need to consider getting technical help to get it up and running. You must connect its exhaust kit through the window, plug it in, and you start experiencing a cool indoor environment.
- Access to windows. Compared to a window air conditioner, a standard portable air conditioner does not deny access to your windows. This may be particularly important if you live in a small house and require lots of sunshine to keep the inside comfortable. Using a window unit in such a house will deny you access to the window.
- Personalized performance. Most modern portable air conditioners have multiple settings for adjusting their speeds and other aspects of the operation. Some even come with remote controls that you can use to operate them conveniently. Thus, it is easier to operate a portable air conditioner than a conventional central air conditioning system.
It can be quite hectic and inappropriate to use a portable air conditioner to cool the temperatures in your home, office, or any other indoor environment during hot days.
The following are some of the cons of using a portable air conditioner.
- They are less efficient than window units. Portable air conditioners consume more electricity and end up cooling less spaces than window units. It is because portable air conditioners release excess heat, which inadvertently increases the indoor temperature and the work needed to cool the room.
- High noise levels. Some brands of portable air conditioners are quite loud. The noise may be high enough to interfere with the peace and tranquility in your house. Thus, it would help if you went for brands that have low noise levels.
So, What’s The Best Portable Air Conditioner Under $300?
With all this information, choosing the perfect portable air conditioner under $300 for your needs shouldn’t be an issue. However, if you’re still unsure which unit to pick from this list, we would highly recommend checking out the…
It’s a 3 in 1 unit that can cool, dehumidify and improve airflow in your room. But more importantly, it has 8000 BTU cooling power, which is enough to cover a room of up to 215+ sq. ft.