Imagine a world where you could control your humidifier from the comfort of your sofa. Where you don’t need to get up to change the humidification settings. Where you could even set a timer such that the humidifier automatically turns on, say an hour before you arrive home, and automatically goes off, perhaps a few hours after you leave the house!
It’s the kind of convenience that, up to recently, you could only dream about. Yet, you can now have all that and a lot more – thanks to smart humidifiers.
This guide discusses what makes these new-era humidifiers the perfect choice for the modern-day consumer and the features that define a smart humidifier shortly. But first, let’s review some of the best intelligent humidifiers.
Shopping for a smart humidifier can be a bit challenging. Although you want to prioritize the basic features of a humidifier, you also need to find a model with a perfect balance of smart, modern features. Let’s begin by understanding why these smart features are so crucial.
Benefits of a Smart Humidifier
A smart humidifier guarantees one key benefit – ultimate convenience. We’re entering a new phase in evolution where the digital revolution is changing every aspect of our lives. From smart cars to smart homes, everything is becoming computerized. Investing in an intelligent humidifier, in line with this evolution, is the natural next step.
- Fits perfectly in the smart home jigsaw: The home is transforming. Many homes are now connected via smart systems. People now control the TV via Amazon Alexa and order takeout through Google Home. A smart humidifier fits right into this new setup.
- Increased energy efficiency: smart home appliances are inherently more energy efficient for one key reason – they are only in use when most needed. A smart humidifier, for instance, will only run when humidification is required. As soon as the right humidity level is reached, it goes off automatically.
- Manage everything from one place: The smart humidifier, once installed, becomes part of many other devices and appliances in the smart home – all of which can be managed from a single dashboard. Even where you don’t have a special control center such as Google Home, you can control all the devices from your phone or PC. It makes things a lot easier.
- Improved appliance functionality: First off, you’re guaranteed useful insight to get the most out of the appliance. More importantly, since the humidifier will be running and can be monitored alongside other appliances (such as indoor heating, air conditioning, fan operation, etc.), it’s easier to balance it all for the perfect indoor conditions.
Features to Look for in a Smart Humidifier
Smart humidifiers typically come with varying smart features. The following are the six features you need to prioritize;
- Digital control panel
Every humidifier has a control panel of sorts. The difference is what’s in the panel. A smart control panel, for one, is typically touch-controlled. No buttons – just touch. Secondly, it must allow you to control all the humidifier’s main functions in case the remote device fails.
- Remote control
Remote control is another must-have. It allows you to control the humidifier from the sofa’s comfort rather than getting on your feet every time you need to change the humidifier settings. It’s also safer, especially if you have kids. They can change the settings from a safe distance.
- Wi-Fi compatibility
Wi-Fi compatibility is the first sign that an appliance is internet-accessible. When a humidifier is Wi-Fi compatible, it can be accessed via other smart devices such as smartphones, tablets, or PCs. It’s also important to consider the network range. Up to recently, any appliance that worked over 2.4 GHz was okay. But, newer appliances are now 4G/5G compatible.
- App Control
Many Wi-Fi accessible humidifiers are smartphone accessible, but not all. You want one that you can control from your phone. Specifically, you want to be able to download the appliance’s mobile app and make the changes and adjustments conveniently from the app.
- Smart home compatibility
An important aspect of a smart-home device is voice control from popular voice assistants such as Google Home, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and Microsoft Cortana. Ideally, the humidifier should be controllable from two or more of these voice assistants.
Other Things to Consider When Choosing a Humidifier
As we mentioned earlier, you’re buying a humidifier first and foremost. Therefore, basic humidifier functionality is paramount. Consider the following features;
- Humidifier type: Aside from central models, there are four key types of humidifiers, i.e., ultrasonic, evaporative, steam, and impeller. Which one best suits your needs?
- Warm or cool-mist: Warm mist humidifiers produce warm moisture while cool mist models generate room-temperature moisture. Which do you want? Or do you want a hybrid model with both cool and warm-mist modes?
- Tank size: The size of the tank you need will depend on your needs. Pick a larger-tank humidifier for a bigger application and a smaller tank for minor applications.
- Humidification area: The manufacturer usually indicates the estimated humidification area. Make sure to pick a humidifier with a humidification area within your needs.
- Running hours: How long can the humidifier run on a full tank? The typical range is 24-60 hours. Pick a range that best suits your needs.
- Quietness: The best humidifiers are very quiet even during peak operation. If you desire even greater quietness, say during the night, consider models with a Sleep Mode.
- Other features: Finally, you also need to consider other features such as the design/style of the humidifier, programmable timer, portability, filtration qualities, and more.
The following are five exceptional options when shopping for a smart humidifier. These products stand out for being a revolutionary breed in the HVAC industry, featuring various tech innovations that make them not only more convenient but also user-friendlier.
- TBI Pro Upgraded 2021 Top-Fill 6L Cool Mist Humidifier
- Large 6-liter tank
- Uses medical stone filter
- Remote control
- Multiple humidity settings
- Digital display monitor
- It’s a bit pricey
- No timer
The TBI Pro is a sleek, modern design humidifier with a large 6-liter tank suitable for large rooms. The manufacturer says it’s effective in rooms as large as 720 square feet. The extra-large tank also means that the humidifier can run for many hours on a single fill. Indeed, it lasts two full days (48 hours) on a full tank in the low mist mode.
The TBI Pro humidifier packs multiple smart features. For one, it’s remote-controlled, so you don’t have to worry about continually getting to change the settings. Instead, you can change the operating modes (there are three in total) through the remote. Secondly, it uses a smart sensor to track the water level. If it detects that the water level is too low or the tank is empty, an LED light alerts you.
You’ll also appreciate that it’s an incredibly quiet humidifier that produces only 38 decibels in Sleep Mode. Also, it uses a medical stone filter that eliminates all solid particles and microorganisms for clean, healthy indoor air.
- Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser and Humidifier
- Smart Wi-Fi control
- Supports mobile app control
- Alexa and Google Home compatible
- Multiple mist levels
- Small (400ml) tank
- Runs for only 12 hours on a full tank
If you’re on a smaller budget, you should consider this Sierra Modern Home model. An aromatherapy diffuser that also doubles as a humidifier, it’s an ultrasonic vaporizer that breaks down water particles into fine mist using ultrasonic sound vibrations. The 360-degree rotating nozzle allows the mist to reach every corner of the room.
The first thing you need to know about this humidifier is that it’s Wi-Fi capable. As such, you can connect it to Wi-Fi enabled devices, such as your phone, laptop, or tablet. Secondly, it has an app. You can download the app on either Android or iOS and control the functions from your phone. Third, it’s compatible with smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home. A user manual is supplied with the product to help you learn how to use the various features. You can even create humidification schedules from the app!
Away from the smart functions, this humidifier comes with a 400ml water tank and supports the use of essential oils. It can run continuously for 12 hours on a full tank.
- Proscenic 808C Warm & Cool Mist Humidifiers with App, Alexa, and Google Voice
- Large, 5.5-liter tank
- Supports essential oils
- Seven mist-speed options
- Convenient LCD control panel
- Wi-Fi control and App
- You can’t add essential oils directly into the tank
Suppose you’re not happy to compromise tank capacity (and run time) for essential oil support, this giant humidifier from Proscenic allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds. A 5.3-liter unit, it runs continuously for up to 30 hours on a full tank on the low humidity setting. A 7-speed gear allows you to pick the desired humidity level. Remember, too, that it’s a warm and cool mist – all in one – hybrid.
Onto the smart features, first off, this humidifier has an LCD screen from where you can set humidity levels and change modes with touch buttons. The screen also shows vital metrics, including current temperature, relative humidity, and mist level. Secondly, it has an app from where you can make further adjustments, such as setting timers. Additionally, it supports Amazon Alexa’s voice controls. Above all, Wi-Fi control means you can easily control it from your phone or PC.
The 808C is equipped with HEPA filters for healthy humidification and a Baby Mode in which it adds only enough moisture into the air to prevent over-humidification.
- Geeni Soothe XL Model GN-WA001-199 Smart Wi-Fi Cool Mist Humidifier
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Voice control with Alexa, Google Assistant
- Times allows for programmed control
- Wi-Fi support
- Three mist levels
- Not compatible with 5G
- The Control panel isn’t inspiring
The first thing you note with the Model GN-WA001-199 humidifier from Geeni Soothe is that it has a one-year warranty. Many humidifiers don’t, and those that do rarely make it very clear. In this care, the manufacturer even encourages buyers to contact them if there are any issues.
Onto the main features, the Model GN-WA001-199 is an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. It’s a large-capacity humidifier with a 5-liter tank. Three mist levels allow you to pick the most comfortable humidification level for your family. It also features accent colors to add some mood to the room and allows the use of essential oils, added directly into the tank.
However, the smart features are where the GN-WA001-199 makes a name. It is compatible with all 2.4 Wi-Fi networks, thus effortlessly connects with any smartphone or PC within range. It’s also compatible with smart home devices; therefore, it works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Microsoft Cortana. Above all, it has a timer that you can set from anywhere using your phone or PC.
- Ufresh Smart 5.5L Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Essential Oil Vaporizer
- Large-capacity, 5.5-liter tank
- Multiple mist levels
- Top-fill design
- Essential oils diffuser
- Wi-Fi compatible
- App control
- Essentials oils can’t be added directly into the tank
Finally, this 5.5-liter humidifier from Ufresh is another wonderful option when shopping for a smart humidifier. It’s easy to refill and clean thanks to the large opening at the top. It also features a base made from ABS material that prevents water leakage.
Concerning smartness, the unit is easily controllable via an app. All you need to do is download the app on your phone (from your app store). From the app, you can set schedules to turn on/off the humidifier automatically. It also features a smart sensor that tracks tank water levels and alters you (via three beeps) when the water level is too low. Another key feature is the auto-shutoff feature that automatically switches off the humidifier when the tank runs empty.
Keep in mind that his humidifier also functions as an essential oil diffuser. It’s also impressively quiet at <35 decibels. It has three mist adjustment levels and can run for 50 straight hours on a full tank.
The world is changing. We’re entering a new, smart world where everything is digitally controlled, from the home to the office and throughout the rest of our daily activities. Investing in a smart humidifier is the natural progression in line with the technological revolution.
The good news is – smart humidifiers are now easily accessible and within a very affordable price range. So, if you’re thinking about replacing your humidifier, you should definitely make it smart.