What is an Auto Shut Off, and Why is it Important?
The auto shut off feature in heaters comprises a small fuse that goes off when the heater’s internal temperature gets to dangerous levels.
If a heater’s internal temperature rises to certain levels, it can damage the internal components of the device. Also, abnormally high internal temperatures in heaters can cause fire outbreaks. Such outbreaks may lead to massive losses and even injuries at home.
The auto shut off feature works by instantly cutting the power supply to the heater’s heating element. When this happens, the heater immediately switches off. It must be restarted for the heating process to continue.
This feature helps to keep everyone at home safe because it prevents the occurrence of fires. Also, it keeps the heater useful for a long time because it protects the internal components from getting damaged by extremely high temperatures.
Do All Space Heaters have Auto Shut Off?
Not all space heaters have the automatic shut off feature. The automatic shut off feature is one of the advanced inbuilt safety features found in modern space heaters. Others include tip-over protection and cool to touch.
The tip-over protection works just like the overheat protection feature. The only difference is that the heater’s instant shutting off the tip-over protection feature is triggered by a fall. When the heater falls to the ground, the fuse goes off, and the power supply to the heating element is stopped immediately.
The cool to touch safety feature comprises the use of high-quality materials to construct the external casing of the heater. The materials can absorb a lot of heat and avoid getting too hot when the heater is working. It is a good idea to go for heaters with all these three and other additional safety features.
Other Safety Features to Look for in a Space Heater
There are many other safety features to look for in a space heater apart from overheat protection, cool to touch, and tip-over protection.
The cool to touch protects you, the kids, and even pets at home. The surfaces of some heaters can become quite hot after some time. Kids and pets who accidentally touch the surfaces of such heaters may be harmed. However, heaters that have cool to touch surfaces do not pose this danger.
The tip-over protection helps to prevent the heater from causing fires at home if it is accidentally tripped. People passing around the house can knock the heater. If the heater has this safety feature, then it will go off every time someone knocks it.
Notably, go for heaters that have been certified by leading international or national safety bodies. Some of the best standards include the ETL and UL marks.
Heaters that have these marks have been subjected to rigorous tests to determine their overall safety level. Therefore, it is safer to use such heaters than those which do not have these or any other mark of safety standards.
Safety Tips when Using Space Heaters
Here are a few important tips for using your space heater at home safely.
- Keep the heater away from drapery and other materials that can catch fire easily. Fabrics, paper, and plastics can catch fire if they encounter the hot surface of a heater. Ensure that they are kept at a safe distance.
- Do not leave your heater unattended. Although modern brands of space heaters have all the safety features you need, it is still wise never to leave your heater alone. Switch it off at night or when you leave the house for even a few hours.
- Avoid wet and damp conditions. Only use heaters that are specifically designed to be used under such conditions in bathrooms and related places. If you use a heater not made for such conditions, you will be running a big risk.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall. Extension cords cannot handle the wattage and current needs for space heaters. Using extension cords with space heaters increases the risk of damage to the heater.
Is it safe to leave space heaters on all the time?
Although modern heaters are built with safety features, timers, and thermostats, it is still not safe to leave them running all the time. Besides, heaters are designed to be used as sources for supplemental heat and not as primary sources of heat in the home.
Leaving them running all the time is counterproductive. The heaters will produce heat even when additional heat is not necessary. Moreover, leaving your heaters on 24/7 will lead to massive heating costs because space heaters consume a lot of electric energy to produce heat.
How long should I leave my space heater on?
The length of time you leave your space heater depends on many factors, including your heating requirements, energy costs, and personal preferences. The heating needs for your house change across the day and night as well as with the seasons.
During the cold days, you may have to leave your heater on for long periods. You may not even have to use your space heater during hot summer days because the house’s temperature may be warm enough.
Some heaters have timers that you can use to preset their operation time. One can program the heater to start running before they get home in the evening. The heater can also be set to switch off in the morning when everyone leaves home.
What happens if you leave a space heater on all night?
Leaving your heater on all night is a bad idea. Here are a few things that may happen if you keep your device running all night long.
- High heating costs. If you leave your heater on through the night, the heating costs may rise considerably. This is because heaters consume a lot of electric power.
- The risk of fires. If something goes wrong with your heater when everyone is asleep, there will be a significant risk of a fire outbreak. Imagine what will happen if your duvet accidentally falls off the bed and touches the running heater by your bedside.
Best Space Heater With Automatic Shut Off
1. Dyson AM09 Fan Heater
The Dyson AM09 Fan Heater is a sleek, powerful, and easy-to-use space heater ideal for small to mid-sized rooms. It has certain features that make it one of the most reliable space heaters for safety and performance.
You can use the heater throughout the year. In summer, the heater fan does a pretty good job distributing cold air across the room for optimal conditions. During the cold days, the heater effectively distributes heat to create a cozy indoor environment.
The patented air multiplier technology that is found in this heater is a bid addition. Thanks to technology, the heater quickly creates a warm environment by distributing hot air evenly and rapidly.
Sadly, this heater is prone to falling when it is accidentally knocked. This is because it has a tower design and a relatively narrow base. The base does not provide all the support needed.
- The heater is multipurpose – it can be used throughout the year
- Effective cooling and heating performance because of the patented air multiplier technology
- Great safety features, including cool-to-touch and tip-over protection
- Wide heating range of between 33 degrees Fahrenheit to 99 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The heater is not stable because of its narrow base and tower design.
2. De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater
The De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater is a perfect space because of its design and ease of use. Thanks to its lightweight and four highly durable caster wheels, the heater is very portable. Moving it from one room to another is not a fuss.
Moreover, you can use the heater either in the wall-mountable or stand-alone modes. When used in the stand-alone mode, the heater occupies very little space because of its narrow frame. Also, mounting your De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater could be a good idea if you do not have a lot of free space on the floor.
The heater is ideal for zonal heating because of two reasons: portability and an adjustable thermostat. You can use the thermostat to adjust the device’s heating temperature across three settings to suit your needs.
- It is very convenient to use the heater because it can be mounted on the wall or used as a stand-alone panel heater
- The four caster wheels make the heater highly portable
- The adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings allow for customized heating
- Mounting the heater on the wall is a long and tedious process
3. Cadet Com-Pak Twin Electric Wall Heater
The Cadet Com-Pak Twin can be a great addition to your house if you are looking for a heater that does not take a lot of space and has an elegant design.
It has a perfect white finish that blends perfectly with all interior décor styles. Moreover, you will not have to worry about this heater’s footprint because it can be mounted on the wall.
The heater warms large spaces of up to 600 square feet rapidly. It has a powerful fan that ensures even distribution of heat across the house. The heating capacity of this heater makes it an ideal choice for use in large rooms at home.
The inbuilt thermostat is an excellent addition to the performance of the heater. You can use the thermostat to determine the heating temperature of the heater accurately. This makes using the Cadet Com-Pak Twin an easy process.
- The heater provides fast heating for large spaces that measure up to 600 square feet
- Its contemporary design with white finish blends perfectly with many interior décor styles
- It has an inbuilt thermostat for effective heating
- Mounting the heater on the wall is a complicated process
4. Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater
One of the essential features of the Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater is the energy-saving mode. When the heater is set on this mode, it automatically adjusts its heating performance to the environment’s needs. Therefore, you can have a cozy room without having to spend a lot on electricity.
Additionally, the heater has four caster wheels. The wheels make the heater portable because they allow you to roll the device from one place to another. You may as well carry your space heater because it is lightweight.
It is relatively safe to use your Dr. Infrared Portable Space heater, thanks to unique inbuilt safety features. the heater goes off instantly if its internal temperature rises to dangerous levels. Also, the heater will switch off if it falls after being knocked accidentally.
Sadly, this heater is prone to falls. The four caster wheels do not provide excellent stability to the vast casing of this heater. Luckily, the tip-over protection feature prevents outbreaks of fires if the heater falls.
- The auto energy-saving mode helps to keep the heating costs down
- The heater has safety features
- Super quiet operation
- Highly portable because of the four caster wheels
- The heater can fall if knocked
5. De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
The De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater is a powerful supplemental heat source for homes because of its design and heating method. Although oil-filled radiator heaters reach their optimal temperature after a while, they maintain the temperature for a long time.
This is because the oil continues to heat the air even after one switch off the power supply. Besides, the heater has seven fins that maximize the distribution of warm air across large spaces. Thus, you will enjoy a very comfortable indoor environment at home if you use this heater.
You can toggle across three heat settings according to your needs. More so, the timer is a significant addition to this heater. It provides a perfect way of personalizing the performance of the heater and controlling your heating costs.
The De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater, like any other device, has weaknesses. Its most significant flaw relates to the surface temperature. You may have to keep the kids away from it because its surface becomes slightly hot.
- It provides full room heating through the seven fins
- The wheels make it portable
- Three heat settings for your ultimate comfort
- The surface of the heater becomes slightly hot