Evaporative coolers, famously known as swamp coolers, are a good solution for beating the heat when temperatures rise during the summer season. They are inexpensive, easy to operate, and even easier to maintain.
Moreover, evaporative coolers are highly energy-efficient, relying exclusively on natural evaporation to turn any hot, sweaty room into a cool, relaxing environment. They also deliver the cool air silently.
If you’re considering an additional solution to resolve the heat issues in your bedroom, you should strongly consider one. This guide should help you pick the right one depending on your needs.
Best Swamp Cooler for Bedroom Reviews
For those in a hurry, the following six are some of the best evaporative coolers for the bedroom. They are high-capacity swamp coolers designed for the average bedroom. We’ve also selected reliable units with modern controls and extra features such as fanning and humidification for maximum return on your investment.
1. BREEZEWELL 2-in-1 Evaporative Air Cooler
- 【Humidification for extra moisture】 Do you know that an evaporative cooler can lower room temperature by around 50-degree Fahrenheit in the hot summer? This tower fan with humidification and cooling function will be your secret weapon to survive during the heating months. The evaporative cooling process naturally humidifies dry air and ease dry air symptoms. It is tested that this cooler with up to 1 gallon of water reservoir can easily bring up the humidity by 82% for nearby surroundings.
- 【Bladeless Deign for Safety and Easy Cleaning】If you are looking for a bladeless cooling solution, this evaporative air cooler will be an unavoidable choice. Thanks to the bladeless design, it is much safer to use in the household that have children or pets. Another impressive things about the bladeless is the cooling effect, it delivers a stream of smooth, therapeutic and high-velocity air, for personal cooling. No awkward safety grille or blades to clean
- 【Energy Saving & Eco-friendly】Compared with your costly AC, Breezewell Evaporative Air Cooler has no compressor and does not use chemical refrigerants and it is more environmentally friendly and safe for your health. By adding ice or cold water, you can easily enjoy extra coolness in seconds with a low cost. Ever refilling is not a problem, it comes with a removable 1 gallon water tank which is easy to fill and clean.
- 【3 Wind Speeds, 4 Modes & Extra Swing Feature】Designed, programed and engineered for adaptability. Breezewell have developed this easy-to-use tower fan for you. There is only a push of power bottom between you the widespread coolness. Easy to control with 3-speed settings plus 40° automatic swing to give all the comfort you need – low, medium, or high speed. Meanwhile, you are able to easily find an appropriate mode-normal, sleep,natural, or cooling - to your taste.
- 【Convenient and Portable Design】 15-Hour Timer feature and remote control amplify your freedom. Just a click to control your fan from 20 feet, making it possible that enjoy a gentle outdoor wind in your own living room while you are reading your favorite books or enjoying the recent series without having to get up from the couch. Also, there is an automatic shutdown in 1 to 15-hour intervals or you could just use the convenient remote. The built-in handle is designed for easy movement.
Let’s begin with the 1-gallon unit from BREEZEWELL. This is a 32-inch tall, tower-style evaporative cooler that also doubles as a fan. It arrives with a stabilizing base to improve the stability of the tower structure. This way, the unit doesn’t wobble during operation. The one-gallon tank also rests on the base for further stability.
Several factors make BREEZEWELL a great swamp cooler choice for the bedroom. First, it’s a blade-free cooler. You’ll appreciate this design style a lot if you have children. The inherent safety cannot be understated. Secondly, it has an ice pack tray where you can place ice cubes for cooler afternoons and more relaxing nights.
You can choose from three wind speeds (low, medium, and high), four modes, and an extra swing feature. The four modes are normal, sleep, natural, and cooling. All these controls are available from the remote control. The oscillating tower fan ensures that the cool air is dispersed throughout the room for even cooling. It oscillates at 40 degrees.
We also love that the cooler has an 8-hour timer which you can set and leave throughout the night. It remains whisper-quiet throughout the operation and is even quieter in the Sleep mode.
- Incredibly stylish
- Doubles as a fan
- Ultra-quiet at under 38 dB
- Includes Sleep mode and 8-hour timer
- Remote controlled
- No mention of warranty
- No humidifier
2. Hessaire MC18M Portable Evaporative Cooler
- PORTABLE - 4 heavy duty casters make it perfect for indoor/outdoor use in spaces up to 500 square feet
- COMPACT YET POWERFUL – 28x22x12 inches with a weight of 16 pounds (unfilled); 1,300 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) with manually adjustable louvers that can direct airflow up and down at the same time
- EASY TO OPERATE & SIMPLE TO MAINTAIN – Intuitive operation with a motor speed dial with 5 setting: 2 cooling modes on HI and LOW speed (pump on), 2 fan-only modes HI and LOW speed (pump off)
- MANUAL & CONTINUOUS WATER FILL – Use the Continuous Fill option by attaching a household hose with the included brass float adapter and float valve to control the level in the tank without monitoring
- AVAILABLE IN 3 COLORS – Grey (MC18M), Teal (MC18MT) and Green (MC18V)
If you’re more into power than style, the portable Hessaire MC18M is the swamp cooler to consider. It’s slightly large at 28 x 22 x 12 feet but light enough at about 16.0 pounds.
However, it’s one of the most powerful units on this list at 1,300 CFM. This makes it a good choice for bigger bedrooms, in the range of 450 sq. ft. to 550 Sq. Ft. Manually adjustable louvers ensure that the cool air reaches every corner of the room.
The model MC18M has two cooling modes on Hi and LOW speed (pump on) and two fan-only speeds HI and LOW (pump off). The pump-on modes run while the unit is also cooling the room. You can switch through the modes with a quick turn of the knob located at the top right-hand corner. Unfortunately, it doesn’t support remote control.
A vital advantage of this swamp cooler, however, is the continuous water refill option. Although you can also fill the tank by hand, the continuous refill option allows you to attach a garden hose for continuous, worry-free cooling. A brass float adapter and float valve combine to prevent overfilling. The unit also has a water level indicator.
The package arrives with four caster wheels (two that lock and two non-locking), so you can move the cooler around the room and to other applications as you desire.
- Powerful 1,300 CFM cooler
- Rugged, molded ABS body
- Includes cater wheels
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
- No remote control
- No continuous refill
3. Simple Deluxe 30” Evaporative Air Cooler Fan with Humidification
- Repellent Function: Created a barrier against mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, biting flies, chiggers and fleas. Perfect to living room, bedroom, kids room, office, hotel, dining room etc.
- Dual Control: The air cooler is equipped with panel control and remote control. Panel control built-in the top; Remote control lets you control all settings of the fan as you lounge on the couch or bed.
- Oscillating & 3 Speeds Setting : It takes up little space while the oscillating design offers wide area coverage. Equipped with 3 fan speeds (High, Medium, Low), the max air volume reaches 447 CFM. It meets your multiple cooling needs and brings you a cooling room.
- Components: Fan Body, Fan Base, Remote Control.（AA Battery Not Included）
- COOL Mode & Humidification: This evaporative air cooler is not only a fan, but also a humidifier. With 2.0 gallons water tank, it turns hot dry air into cool moist air, refreshing air at the same time.
The Evaporative Air Cooler Fan from Simple Deluxe is another stylish evaporative cooler that fits the bedroom like a glove. The 32.6 x 12.99 x 11.81 dimensions mean it takes very little space on the floor. Plus, it weighs only about 28 pounds. The design is also beautiful, with the flawless white finish and dark/black grille matching neatly.
However, a couple of things make this unit slightly different from the other options on this list. First off, it’s slightly bigger (capacity-wise) at two gallons. This is a big deal because a 2-gallon tank runs for longer.
Secondly, it doubles as a humidifier and fan. If you’re struggling with dry indoor conditions, you’d want to consider this feature. Above all, it has a repellent function that protects you from mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, chiggers, and fleas.
The oscillation function and three fan speeds (up to 447 CFM) are other features to look forward to. The cooler supports manual control from the onboard control panel and remote control.
- Large, 2-gallon tank
- Doubles as humidifier and fan
- Features repellent function
- Remote controlled
- Powerful at up to 447 CFM
- No continuous refill
4. COMLIFE Portable Air Conditioner 60˚/120˚ Oscillation Personal Air Cooler
- 【60/120 Degree Auto Oscillation】Differ from other static air conditioners, this mini air conditioner supports 60°/120°after proper setting. The auto oscillation feature provides much wider cooling area, very convenient for you to share the coolness with your friends or families at home, parties, camping or other activities.
- 【5000mAh Rechargeable Battery】5000mAh built-in rechargeable battery provides max 9 hours irresistible coolness, fully recharged in 3-4 hours. Multiple power supplies available, you may use the power bank, laptop or car charger to refuel the battery for continuous usage.Tips: It is recommend to add pure water instead of tap water.
- 【3 Adjustable Airflow and Cooling Levels】3 different levels for wind speeds and misting levels respectively. You can select different levels upon your needs. 700ml capacity large water tank, lasting long up to 12 hours. To enjoy more coolness, you can also add some ice into the personal air conditioner.
- 【Versatile & Easy Operation】In addition to serving as air cooler, this personal AC unit is also humidifier and purifier in just one device. It humidifies the air around you, and purifies the air by removing small particulates. Simple touch-screen control panel design, very easy to operate the air cooling fan by just a few clicks.
- 【What You Get】1*Portable air conditioner, 1*USB cable, 1*User Manual, and considerate customer service from us if you have any problems. For any support, please feel free to contact us and we will respond within 24 hours.
Most swamp coolers for the bedroom are connected to the home’s power supply all night to function. This doesn’t necessarily pose a risk. It’s safe for the most part. However, if you’re not at home with the approach or if you’re energy-sensitive, the portable swamp cooler from COMLIFE offers a way out.
Comprising a 5,000 mAh battery, it’s the only rechargeable swamp cooler on this list. The built-in battery provides a maximum of nine (9) hours on a full recharge. It takes about 3-4 hours to recharge it fully. You can also connect it to a power bank or your laptop when you go to sleep. In the end, it will last till morning on a full recharge.
There’s more. The SFA also functions as a humidifier and air purifier. Built-in filters allow it to remove airborne particles from your indoor air, leaving your bedroom air clean and healthy. Meanwhile, the dehumidifier function is available as a mode that you can select from the control panel.
The only downside to this otherwise progressive air conditioning solution is the small 700ml tank. The tank runs for 12 hours at most on a single refill.
- Doubles as a humidifier and purifier
- It’s a rechargeable unit
- Package includes a USB charger
- Three adjustable airflow/cooling levels
- Compact and lightweight (2.2 pounds)
- No continuous refill
- Small, 700ml tank
5. Honeywell CS071AE Quiet, Low Energy, Compact Portable Evaporative Cooler
- Indoor evaporative air cooler or swamp cooler Ideal for use in the southwest and Midwest regions of the US. Performs best in hot/dry climates where humidity levels are <50%
- Not an Air Conditioner & Not just a Fan – No-Compressor Air Cooler reduces temperature through water evaporation. Ideal for spot cooling small areas such as bed, desk area, sofa, dining table
- Super low power consumption (only 32W at highest speed) with Patented Brushless motor technology that offers 5 speeds with Low Energy-Quiet Mode that minimizes energy consumption & sound level in lowest speed setting - Ideal for long hours of quiet comfort at night.
- Moist, cool breeze can cool you down & be used as humidification during winter months.
- Carbon Dust Air Filter, Remote Control, energy saving timer, Honeywell Honeycomb Cooling Pad
Honeywell makes excellent home air conditioning systems, and in the model CS071AE evaporative cooler, they have another great appliance. It’s another heavy-duty unit with a durable body and caster wheels for mobility. It’s also fairly large at 9.8 x 15 x 25.4 inches and weighing 12.3 pounds (when empty).
However, it’s incredibly energy-efficient, consuming only 32 watts in the highest speed setting. This means you need to use it for three whole nights (assuming you run it 10-hours a night) to consume a kilowatt. A kilowatt of electricity currently costs about 13.2 cents. It’s also super quiet at just 24 dB on Sleep Mode.
There’s a lot more to love about the Honeywell model CS071AE. It offers five-speed settings alternating between gentle humidity and targeted spot cooling. It also features washable carbon filters to trap dust, odors, pollutants, and other unwanted elements from your bedroom air. This leaves your bedroom fresh and comfortable.
The remote control function means you can change speeds and switch operating modes on the cooler from the comfort of your bed. It also has a 7.5-hour set-it-and-leave-it timer so you can sleep gently till morning.
- It has a large, 1.8-gallon tank
- Whisper quiet at up to 24 dB
- Remote control and timer
- Features active carbon filter
- 1-year limited warranty
- No continuous refill
- No oscillating louvers
6. COSTWAY Air Cooler and Heater, Compact Portable Cooler with Fan Filter and Humidifier
- 【4 In 1 air cooler and heater】This air cooler and heater is multifunctional. It can be used as air cooler, heater, humidifier and fan. It reduces temperature through water evaporation and increase temperature by heater. It is ideal for using in home, office, dormitory and so on.
- 【Customize your cooling】Our air cooler and heater with a 8 hour timer, swing feature, 3 fan modes and speeds, you have plenty of options to get the perfect level of comfort. The cooling pad and two ice crystal boxes ensure a high level of cooling.
- 【Electronic display & remote control】Evaporative air cooler control panel lets you easily see what speed, mode and timer option you chose. It also comes with a remote control which enables you to control all the air cooler’s power, timer and wind settings from anywhere in the room.
- 【Easy to move and storage】The compact and lightweight air cooler is easy to carry and storage, and fits discreetly in most spaces. 4 caster wheels make it easy to move your unit from room to room.
Finally, if you’re looking for an all-in-one air conditioning and heating solution for the bedroom, you couldn’t do much better than the model 23664-CYPE-1 from COSTWAY. Although primarily an evaporative swamp cooler, it also functions as a heater, humidifier, fan, and air purifier. Very few appliances offer so much functionality in one unit.
The 17-pound, 15 x 11 x 29.5-inch swamp cooler releases a large number of anions that eliminate airborne pollutants such as allergens, pollen, and mold. It also removes pet dander, unpleasant odors, dust, and other elements. The reusable filters can be removed, washed, and placed right back.
Other key features of the model 23664-CYPE-1 swamp cooler include honeycomb cooling pads for reliable, long-term use, two ice-crystal boxes to raise the cooling levels, and an 8-hour timer, so you don’t have to worry about adjusting the fan speeds in the middle of the night.
It has three fan speeds and three modes. All these functions and features are controllable from the LCD control panel at the top of the unit. Alternatively, you can turn to the remote control option.
It boasts a large 7-liter water tank that easily lasts till morning and offers a 60-degree wide-angle cool air supply.
- Boasts large, 7-liter (1.8-gallon) tank
- Doubles as a heater, dehumidifier, and more
- Four caster wheels enable mobility
- Features 8-hour timer
- Includes ice-crystal boxes
- No continuous refill
- No mention of warranty
How Do Swamp Coolers Work?
Swamp coolers are a category of air conditioning appliances that work almost exclusively on the principle of water evaporation.
The average swamp cooler comprises five main parts;
- Water supply: Water supply can be in the form of a valve that connects to a garden hose, which then connects to the rest of your plumbing or a tank inside the cooler that’s manually refilled with water.
- A pump system: Found at the bottom of the swamp cooler, the pump system pumps water through the water distribution lines to keep the evaporative pads wet.
- Evaporative cooling pads: Also known as media pads, these sponge-like pads line the evaporative cooler. They have to be wet for the swamp cooler to function.
- Blower system: A blower fan or motor draws warm air into the swamp cooler and, after the evaporative process, forces cool air out and disperses it throughout the intended space.
- Floaters: Floaters are light objects inside the tank that rise to the top as soon as the tank is full to prevent overflowing.
The general working mechanism is as follows;
When you switch on the system, the pump supplies the distribution lines with water. These distribution lines are designed so that they keep the media pads evenly wet throughout the operation. As the fan blows, it forces the hot air from your home through the cool, wet media pads, where the heat is lost as the air absorbs some of the cool moisture.
The now-cold air is then sent into your rooms. Some swamp coolers have iceboxes to cool the air further.
Advantages of Swamp Coolers
Although most people prefer conventional air conditioners, swamp coolers offer many advantages, from cost-effectiveness to energy friendliness.
- Reduced upfront costs: The swamp cooler is way more affordable than the average air conditioner. A modest swamp cooler costs $100 to $150, while the cheapest window air conditioners cost at least $300.
- Easier installation: Whereas professional installation is required for most air conditioners, swamp coolers are DIY-assembled. Remember that the professional installation of an AC can cost you another $150+.
- Energy efficiency: Swamp coolers are way more efficient compared to traditional air conditioners. Studies show that they use as little as 15% of the electricity needed to power a conventional air conditioner.
- Easier maintenance: Both air conditioners and evaporative coolers require maintenance to function effectively and for a long time. However, it’s a lot more expensive to maintain a traditional AC. Also, the conventional AC has more parts that can fail.
- Natural humidification: Evaporative coolers naturally add moisture to your rooms, contributing to greater comfort in the bedroom. Conversely, traditional air conditioners tend to dry out the room, often necessitating supplemental humidification.
Factors to Consider when Buying a Swamp Cooler for your Bedroom
You need to consider several factors when choosing the best swamp cooler for your bedroom. However, prioritize the following;
There are three main types of evaporative coolers, i.e., direct, indirect, and two-stage. Direct swamp coolers are installation-free, plug-and-play appliances. Just add water, power to the unit, and it will start working. Indirect models use a heat exchanger to evaporate water. They require some level of installation and work on two fans.
Finally, two-stage models are a hybrid of indirect and indirect coolers. They use both a heat exchanger and a water pad to cool. For the bedroom, direct coolers work best.
Cooler Sizing (CFM)
The power of an evaporative cooler is measured in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). Please don’t confuse it with traditional ACs whose power is measured in British Thermal Units (BTU).
To determine the right CFM value for your bedroom, calculate the volume of the room. Volume = floor size (Length x Width) x ceiling height. Then, divide the volume by two. Therefore, for a 200 sq. Ft. bedroom with a standard 8-foot ceiling, you need a (400 x 8)/2 = 800 CFM. Keep in mind that the average American bedroom is 150 sq. Ft.
Tank Capacity (Gallons)
Besides a sufficient CFM value, you also want an evaporative cooler with a large enough water reservoir. A swamp cooler’s tank capacity is measured in gallons.
You need about 1-3 gallons for the bedroom, though you may need a larger unit for a larger room. What’s more important is whether you can go till morning on a single refill. Any cooler that can run for 9+ hours on a single refill is good enough for the job.
Any other consideration beyond the three above can be considered a convenience factor. Top considerations here include portability (is it lightweight, and does it have a handle/wheels), air filtration, and whether it has a humidifier and fan-only function.
A digital control panel, remote control, smart/voice control (e.g., via app), and programmable timing are the other key features to look out for. Above all, always check whether the unit supports continuous refill and if it has a warranty.
Bedroom Swamp Cooler FAQs
Can you leave a swamp cooler on all night? Yes. You can leave your bedroom swamp cooler running overnight. Be careful about over-humidification, though. Also, if you wish to have the cooler running overnight, it’s important to acquire a noise-free unit.
How do I choose a swamp cooler? Consider two things – the sizing in CFM relative to your cooling needs (square footage of the room) and the tan capacity in gallons. To determine the ideal CFM value, divide the volume (floor size in square foot x ceiling height) by two.
Do evaporative coolers cool a room? Yes. Evaporative swamp coolers lower the temperatures of the rooms in which they’re running. They do so by adding cool moisture to indoor air.
Does putting ice in a swamp cooler help? Yes. Putting ice cubes in your swamp cooler can make the air entering the room from the appliance cooler. The only challenge is that you can only use ice cubes if the manufacturer says it’s allowed.
At what temperature does a swamp cooler become ineffective? The general recommendation is to apply evaporative cooling in areas where the outdoor wet-bulb temperature doesn’t exceed 22˚C (72˚F).
Evaporative swamp coolers are a cost-effective, energy-saving way to add moisturized cooling to your bedroom. The units are not only affordable but also easy to install and maintain.
They also run on about a tenth of the electricity needed to power an average-sized AC. If you live in a hot, humid area, you should strongly consider getting one.