Ultrasonic humidifiers are a great way of improving your indoor environment. Excessive dryness indoors is often a consequence of air conditioning.
However, some regions are simply too warm to switch the air conditioning off. You’ll often find that if your air conditioning is running all the time you will end up with chapped lips and dry skin.
Humidifiers allow you to enjoy the comfort of cool temperatures while also ensuring the humidity level is balanced.
This guide aims to highlight all aspects of ultrasonic humidifiers including what they are, how they work, advantages and disadvantages, reviewing specific models, and a comprehensive guide on how to use and maintain them. Let’s begin with the basics:
What is an Ultrasonic Humidifier?
An ultrasonic humidifier is a machine that uses ultrasonic technology in order to humidify an environment. It is one of the different types of humidifiers currently available on the market.
Throughout this article, you will find out how they differ from the other main kind of humidifier, and which type might be more suitable for you.
How Does an Ultrasonic Humidifier Work?
An ultrasonic humidifier works by using sound vibrations which are then transformed into a fine mist. The sound vibrations used by ultrasonic humidifiers are very high frequency and exist far beyond the range of what a human can hear. These vibrations are caused by a tiny metal plate inside the body of the machine.
When you plug in the machine, this tiny metal plate will vibrate, thereby triggering the ultrasonic frequency. As such, they are renowned for their quiet operation and are competitive products with regard to humidifiers in general.
Like other humidifiers, ultrasonic humidifiers feature a water tank that stores the water. The ultrasonic reaction will then cause the water to be emitted around the room.
Pros and Cons of Ultrasonic Humidifiers
Any product or appliance tends to have both positive and negative aspects. This is no different with respect to ultrasonic humidifiers. While their disadvantages are not significant, they are certainly worth knowing about before purchasing.
Buying any appliance without conducting research is not a sensible thing to do, as you may miss out on good value or buy something with unfavorable specifications for your own needs. The more research you can do before purchase, the better. Here are some pros and cons of ultrasonic humidifiers:
- The Most Popular Type of Humidifier
Ultrasonic humidifiers are actually the most popular type of humidifiers in today’s market, so you’re going to have a lot of choice with regards to what model you buy. This is because of the economic rule that ensures that demand influences supply. You can rest assured that manufacturers are continually improving their products, so your investment will be worthwhile.
- The Cheapest to Run
They are initially more expensive than other types of humidifiers, but they do not have any running costs aside from cleaning supplies (which is often just vinegar just mixed with water) and distilled water for consumers who want to ensure their machine is not contaminated with the minerals found in tap water. Distilled water can be purchased in large gallon bottles in many supermarkets, and are relatively inexpensive. We will talk more about this later in the ‘Maintaining Ultrasonic Humidifiers’ section. Because of this, ultrasonic humidifiers are going to be cheaper in the long run than other types of humidifiers since they don’t usually have a filter system that requires replacing the filters occasionally.
- Technologically Advanced
Ultrasonic humidifiers are usually technologically advanced, which partially explains the initial higher cost. They often come with many features that make operation and maintenance more efficient and convenient for the average user. In general, their overall design and features are more sophisticated than other types of humidifiers.
- Quiet Operation
The ultrasonic technology they use, as mentioned in the ‘How Does an Ultrasonic Humidifier Work?’ section, ensures quiet operation. When you buy a humidifier, there are going to be many occasions where you require a quiet emission of mist. You might want a boost of moisture in the air when going to sleep, you could be working in an excessively dry study, or you could have a newborn baby or young child. All of these situations call for a humidifying system that doesn’t create a lot of noise, and the quietest humidifiers are known to be much quieter than other types of humidifiers.
The main downside to using an ultrasonic humidifier is the notable white dust it will create if you use hard water. If you live in an area with hard water and do not wish to spend money on gallons of distilled water every time you use the machine, you might be better off using an evaporative humidifier instead. Some ultrasonic humidifiers come with special features to offset this production of white dust, but most models do not.
The other disadvantage with regards to ultrasonic humidifiers is the initial cost. As discussed, the running cost is lower than humidifiers which require a filter change, but you might find that you don’t mind purchasing filters every so often in exchange for a lower initial cost. This negative aspect depends on your personal preferences.
What are the Best Ultrasonic Humidifiers?
We’ve already found out quite a lot about ultrasonic humidifiers: what they are and how they work, for example. At this point, it’s relevant to look more closely as specific models of both warm and cool mist ultrasonic humidifiers. Here are some of the best ultrasonic humidifiers currently available on the market:
1. Levoit Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Warm & Cool Mist: The humidifier provides both cool mist and warm mist to relieve you from congestion,sinus,dry skin, allergies,bloody noses,cold, flu.It is perfect for all year around using.
- Auto Mode: The humidifier’s built-in humidity sensor automatically adjusts the mist level to maintain a comfortable level of humidity, so you can set it and forget it. If the tank runs out of water, the humidifier will automatically turn off
- Aromatherapy: Add your favorite essential oils to the aroma box to give your room a clean, fresh aroma.
- Perfect for Large Room: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2. The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 60 hours of continuous use with the low mist level.
- Convenient Remote Control: Adjust settings in the middle of the night without leaving the comfort of your bed. On a schedule? Set a 1–12 hour timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
- Ultra Quiet Operation: Near-silent noise levels and a display-off feature help you sleep through the night while the humidifier works.
- Easy to Clean: With the tank’s wide opening, you’ll never have trouble cleaning the inside of the humidifier. Note: DO NOT let water enter the air vent while cleaning the humidifier.
- Package Contents: Includes a remote, aroma pads, absorption pads, a cleaning brush, and a user manual. Enjoy professional California-based customer support from Levoit. This humidifier was designed in California
The Levoit Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier can inject both warm and cool mist into a room. Cool mist adds a refreshing element to the atmosphere, while the warm mist has anti-microbial properties and can help ease symptoms of illness.
To change from cool to warm and vice versa you simply touch a button on the unit or use the included remote control. The button says ‘warm’ so if you want to switch it back to cool you simply touch it again.
There are three settings, and then the change from warm to cool, so really there are six settings in total. This means you can have ultimate control over the temperature of the mist and the humidity level in your room.
This unit also has a large water capacity tank, meaning fewer refills and more continuous mist than a small tank. It is easy to refill and clean so you can use and maintain it with convenience.
- Three different settings for both warm and cool mist
- Displays the actual humidity in a room
- A very large and bulky unit
2. Urpower Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Larger Capacity: With 5 Litres water tank which can emit a cool water vapor into the air for full night.
- Perfect Design: Matte black body design makes it to be a perfect decoration in any places.
- Sleep Mode: You can choose sleep mode if you long press the power button. It will be middle mist output and all indicator light will turn off. Short press the power button, you can choose the mist output: Low-Middle-High. Working time: 14 -17 hours.
- Safety Function: There is automatic shut-off function which will shut off automatically when there is no water remained. So it won't overheat or short circuit.
- Easy-operate: There is only one power button for you to control the humidifier, you do not need to worry about the operation.
The Urpower Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier has a good-sized water tank capacity of 5 liters. If you fill it up all the way you can get between 14 and 17 hours running time without a refill. The time difference depends on the setting you choose. There are three mist settings: low, middle, and high.
It has a sleek and modern design that is a mix of matte black and silver, so it will blend into your room much more easily than some other, less aesthetically pleasing models. If you don’t want your humidifier to be an eyesore, this is a great option.
There is a sleep mode feature included with this unit. If you hold the power button down, the machine will enter sleep mode automatically. This means it will select the middle mist output and all of the lights on the unit will shut off so you can sleep in absolute darkness and still enjoy improved humidity levels.
There is also an automatic shut-function in case the water level gets too low. This is very useful as you can keep it switched on even if you haven’t filled in for a while without worrying about it running with no water.
- Large capacity water tank
- Includes sleep mode feature
- The display on the unit is very small and might be difficult to read for someone with impaired vision
3. VicTsing Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- 24H POWERFUL HUMIDIFY: With 2. 2L(0. 53gallon) water tank, it can permit 10-24 hours of continuous humidifying. It can effectively protect sensitive and dry skin health, reduce snoring, and help babies or kids to breathe easier.
- NEVER DISRTURB YOUR SLEEP: This cool mist humidifier runs at 28 dB (The operating noise level is even lower than that of turning the page of a book). So it will quiet humidifying without disturbing your study, working or sleeping, away from those nasty noise.
- FULL COVERAGE MIST OUTPUT: 360° degree rotating nozzle ensures an even level of humidity distributed in home. The 45° tilted nozzle is specially designed to quickly give off continuous mist.
- ADJUSTABLE MIST OUTPUT: Adapting classic dial knob, the baby humidifier makes humidify much more precise and effortless to adjust mist output what you want. Maintain an ideal humidity level for office, home, bedroom, living room, baby room.
- EASY TO CLEAN & AUTO SHUT-OFF: Enlarged opening water tank and arc shaped handle, this humidifiers offers you secure grip than others and makes refilling and cleaning a breeze. It will automatically shut off with red LED light on when runs out of water.
The VicTsing Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier is verified as a safe product, evident from the fact that it passed the internationally recognized EMC test. This will give you extra peace of mind as a consumer.
It includes a medical stone filter that acts as an anti-bacterial filter, ensuring that the mist emitted will be pure, clean, and safe for you and your loved ones. This is truly an unusual humidifier and looks much different from many other models. If you’re shopping for something truly unique, this could be the one for you.
It has a 3-liter water tank, which might be smaller than some other models, but it’s a highly efficient machine. It can run for 14 hours in a powerful mist setting, so you still get a lot of time out of one full tank.
The 360-degree mist nozzle circulates the mist in all directions, providing a more evenly and consistently humidified room. Thus, the entire room benefits from the humidifier, and not just one particular section.
- Passed the internationally recognized EMC test
- Highly efficient
- One button does different things depending on how many times you press it, which may become annoying or confusing
4. TotalComfort Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Warm & Cool Misting Option: The Ultrasonic Humidifier by Homedics Features a Warm and Cool Misting Option; Customize Your comfort with Cooling mist during dry, hot summer months; Choose the Warm mist setting during cold winter months to breathe easier, soothe a cold or flu, and prevent chapped lips or skin; Adjust the intensity of the mist with the Easy to use Control buttons; Its 1.4 Gallon Tank has a runtime of up to 65 hours
- CUSTOMIZABLE HUMIDIFIER: Homedics Designed this humidifier with a Large 1.4 gallon tank which has a runtime of up to 65 hours; It Features a Warm or Cool mist function, nightlight, built in Timer, auto shutoff Protection, and an adjustable mist output setting; Program this device to Power down after 1, 2, 4 or 8 hours of use; Or if you forget to set the Timer, Your unit will Power down Automatically when it gets low on Water
- Ultrasonic Clean Tank Technology: This humidifier uses Ultrasonic high frequency Technology to convert the Water into 1 5 million super particles that are dispersed into the air evenly; The clean mist anti microbial Technology helps prevent the growth of molds and mildews on the surface of the tank; It also prevents the buildup of 'White dust' caused by hard Water that can settle on Your floor, appliances, and furniture
- Easy to Use & Clean: To Use: First, unplug the unit and fill the Large 1.4 gallon tank; Plug unit into an electrical outlet; Turn the Power knob clockwise to turn the humidifier on; Adjust the mist output to Your specification; TO CLEAN: Remove the Water tank from the humidifier base by lifting it from the main unit; To remove any scale or build up, use a 50/50 Mixture of White vinegar and lukewarm Water to clean the inside of the tank every 2 3 weeks
- WHAT’S Included With Your Purchase : One Homedics TotalComfort Humidifier Plus; One Bonus demineralization cartridge; One user’s manual; One Year Limited Warranty
The TotalComfort Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier offers both warm and cool mist options for any homeowner who likes to have as much choice as possible. The cooling mist is great for cooling a room during those hot summer months, and the warm mist helps to maintain a comfortable environment during the colder seasons.
This unit is designed with 2 water tanks that offer a total of 1.7 gallons capacity. This large volume of water keeps your room humidified for up to 80 hours, so you certainly get a lot of use out of one tank filling session.
The clean tank technology repels the growth of mold and mildew on the tank’s surface, ensuring that the unit is easier to maintain and will last for a long time. This is also a unique ultrasonic humidifier in that it has a system in place to reduce the build-up of white dust, a residue caused by hard water. Most ultrasonic humidifiers create white dust, so this is truly an advantage.
This humidifier is very user-friendly, making it suitable for people who have little or no knowledge about gadgets in general. You simply fill the tanks, plug it in, and press the power button. Cleaning is also relatively easy. In order to clean this machine, you simply use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to clean the inside of the tank every 2-3 weeks depending on usage and quality of water.
- Provides both warm and cool mist
- Dual water tanks for extended runtime
- Large and bulky unit
5. Pure Enrichment MistAire Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST TECHNOLOGY: Safely moisturizes the air for up to 16 hours of continuous operation so you can breathe easy and get more restful sleep | High and low speed settings make it easy to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level
- 1.5-LITER WATER TANK: Provides ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms
- OPTIONAL NIGHT LIGHT: Offers soothing glow for maximum relaxation
- AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF: Turns humidifier off when water level is low or the water tank is removed
- WHAT YOU GET: Humidifier, AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
The Pure Enrichment MistAire Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier safely moisturizes the air in your room for up to 25 hours so you can fill it once and not have to think about it again for a full day. This allows you to run it during times when you’re not in the house and ensures you will get a full night’s rest.
This unit is built with premium components and is actually an upgrade of other MistAire models. This model includes sleep-friendly features such as quieter functionality and a power light that switches off after 10 seconds.
The 360-degree mist nozzle ensures that mist is not just concentrated in one area, but is emitted in a circular motion around the entire room.
There is also an automatic shut-off function when the water level is too low. You don’t need to worry about constantly monitoring the water level and can go about your day normally, as this will automatically switch off if it needs to be refilled.
- Up to 25 hours of continuous operation
- Automatic shut-off feature
- Relatively small water capacity tank
Difference between Ultrasonic Humidifiers and Evaporative Humidifiers
Evaporative humidifiers are the other main type of humidifier currently available on the market. As a consumer, a variety of appliances can be a confusing thing. Thus, it’s recommended that you consider some of the differences between ultrasonic humidifiers and evaporative humidifiers before deciding which to buy:
Evaporative humidifiers have a lower initial cost than ultrasonic humidifiers. If you’re on a budget, and just want something to humidify a room for a once-off occasion, the cheaper initial cost of an evaporative humidifier might be just the thing for you.
- Sophistication Level
Ultrasonic humidifiers are generally more sophisticated and technologically advanced than evaporative humidifiers. If you’re a fan of gadgets, you’ll almost certainly want a more sophisticated product. However, if you’re a person who values simplicity and you don’t want to be messing around with unnecessarily snazzy features, you will likely have a preference for an evaporative humidifier.
- Running Costs
Before purchasing any appliance, you should always check if it requires extra parts or special extras in order to keep it running effectively. Whole house humidifiers come with a filter system, so these will need to be replaced in accordance with how much you use your humidifier. As such, ultrasonic humidifiers might cost more to buy, but they are actually cheaper with regards to running costs as most models don’t use a filtering system.
- Noise Level
The noise level is another significant difference between ultrasonic and evaporative humidifiers. Ultrasonic humidifiers are generally quieter than evaporative humidifiers due to the ultrasonic technology incorporated into their design. No humidifier is going to be completely silent, but lookout for information about the decibel range when purchasing any kind of humidifier.
What to Look for When Purchasing an Ultrasonic Humidifier
Now that you know a number of facts about ultrasonic humidifiers, it’s relevant to discuss what you should look for when you actually decide to purchase on. Here are some of the factors you should seriously examine and consider when you’re about to buy an ultrasonic humidifier:
1. Water Tank Capacity
The water tank capacity of an ultrasonic humidifier is definitely a feature that may sway your overall decision. You might prefer a cheaper model with a smaller tank if you don’t mind refilling it more often, or you might desire a very large tank for ultimate convenience. Think about how much you’re going to use the humidifier before you opt for a particular size. If you’re only going to use it occasionally, a smaller tank will be perfectly fine. However, if you want to use a humidifier in a large room, choose one with a huge tank so you don’t have to refill every now and then.
2. Automatic Shut-Off Function
Almost all modern models should include an automatic shut-off function. This not only adds to the overall convenience but gives you extra peace of mind. If you’re relaxing comfortably and don’t want to move from the couch, the automatic shut-off ensures the machine will switch itself off when the water runs out. Moreover, if you’ve gone to bed without refilling the tank and it’s been running all day, you don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about any potential damage to the machine.
3. Running Time
The amount of running time you get from one full tank is a significant aspect to consider when purchasing an ultrasonic humidifier. Some models tend to be more efficient than others. Thus, when you see a large water tank, don’t jump to buy it right away before comparing it to the running time of a smaller tank. You might have a 1-gallon tank that only lasts for 10 hours just to the powerful mist it emits. If you want more power and less time, you might actually opt for lower running time, as this means more mist is entering the atmosphere.
Other Special Features
Look at a number of models carefully before deciding which to buy. Some models have sleep modes that turn the operating lights off while you sleep. Other humidifiers have humidistats that allow you to customize the humidity according to your desire. You might be a person who requires absolute darkness when you sleep, so this could be the winning feature for you. Alternatively, if you’re the type of person who could sleep anywhere, you might not care about this particular feature. Consider a number of models and their different features, and then figure out which suits your needs best.
Maintaining Ultrasonic Humidifiers
It’s all very well to buy the most elaborate appliance, but if you don’t learn how to maintain it you’re essentially pouring money down the drain. Luckily, ultrasonic humidifiers are not very difficult to maintain as most units do not have a filter system. This is something you should check beforehand, because a few newer models now include innovative filtering systems like anti-bacterial medical stones or ceramic filters, so if you really can’t be bothered with filter replacement make sure you avoid these.
There is really very little maintenance to be done to ultrasonic humidifiers. With most models, all you have to do is clean it regularly. If you only use it once a week, you won’t have to clean it very often. If you use it every day for hours on end and/or live in an area with hard water, you’ll have to clean it pretty much every week.
Look out for special features that make cleaning easier, such as wide tank openings or surfaces that repel dirt. Generally speaking, a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar will keep your tank well maintained. Aside from this, simply read through the user’s manual or manufacturer’s instructions in order to ensure you’re keeping your machine in order. Or you should look for easy to clean humidifiers.
Now that you’ve taken into account the various factors that determine your decision to invest in an ultrasonic humidifier, you will know exactly what to look out for when you choose to purchase one. All humidifiers have pros and cons of course, but ultrasonic humidifiers are certainly an efficient appliance that can conveniently and effectively humidify your home. As such, as long as you make sure to research the specifications beforehand, you can easily make your home a much more comfortable and pleasant environment for both you and your family.