Having a dehumidifier comes with a lot of benefits, as its main objective is to alleviate dark spots or mold growing on walls. The last thing you want is to have a home with damp parts. This is why buying the best wall-mounted dehumidifier can come in handy to help you solve such issues.
Some dehumidifiers are powerful and can help you eliminate up to 25 liters of moisture daily. Using such dehumidifiers can be useful, especially when you want to dry the inside of your clothes, where water evaporation will occur into the air of your home.
The main question is which is the best dehumidifier to consider buying? The good news is that we found 5 of the best wall-mounted dehumidifiers that we’ll review below to help you choose the right one for your home.
Are Dehumidifiers Good for Damp Walls?
Yes, you can use a dehumidifier for damp walls. The good thing about dehumidifiers is that they help to extract moisture from the air, which is somehow the way a tumble dryer extracts moisture from clothes. This helps to dry your wall or home faster.
If the damp wall problem was caused by condensation, using a dehumidifier can be a great way to solve the issue faster and efficiently.
You can also use fans to move air around damp walls. Dehumidifiers can also help to remove moisture from the air, which will remove it from the walls indirectly.
However, it’s important to note that dry completely drying your walls will take time. Therefore, you should rush the refinishing until you ensure that all the walls are dry.
Will a Dehumidifier Stop Condensation on Walls?
If you happen to facing the issue of condensation in your home, buying a dehumidifier can seem like a good option, but it’s not always recommended. One thing you should know is that dehumidifiers only offer a short-term solution. The reason for this is because dehumidifiers only treat the symptoms and not the problem.
Another factor you need to keep in mind is that dehumidifiers don’t eliminate indoor pollutants, they are expensive than fans, and they don’t offer a “whole house” solution. Although dehumidifiers are excellent to consider when it comes to dealing with condensation on walls of your home, if you’re looking for something short-term, that’s when you should consider them.
Dehumidifiers only extract moisture from the air and a typical dehumidifier unit may consume about 280W. Therefore, these are some of the things you need to consider. A better option is to give your home a better and consistent background fresh air movement if you want to get rid of condensation on walls completely.
Proper air movement in your home helps to deal with many issues, as it makes the home fresher and healthier. It also helps to prevent the growth of molds, which ensures your walls don’t condensate in any way.
Dehumidifier Placement Guide
There are several factors that you need to consider when it comes to your dehumidifier placement in the basement. These factors include:
- Humidity source – You need to consider where the humidity is coming from. It can either come from an internal source such as an oven or shower. A humidity source can also come from external such as a door or window.
- Room size – You also need to consider the size of the room that you want to dehumidify. There are large or small rooms. Therefore, it’s important to check the size of a room first and compare it with the dehumidifier you want to install.
- Airflow restriction – Does the room you want to install the dehumidifier have any objects that may restrict airflow? Installing the dehumidifier on the floor or high up is factor you need to consider before installing a dehumidifier in your room.
What you need to do is ensure that you place the dehumidifier close to the moisture source. This allows the dehumidifier to work efficiently because it can remove humidity, which gives it the chance of infiltrating other areas. The size of your room also plays a significant role in the placement of your dehumidifier. If it’s a large room, then you should consider placing the dehumidifier in a central location to get as much maximum coverage as possible.
If it happens to be a small room, it may not matter that much because it’s only a small space to cover. You also need to note that dehumidifiers require clearance from any nearby objects to maintain airflow if you want them to function properly. Therefore, avoid having your dehumidifier too close to any furniture, wall, or other objects in your home or room. Dehumidifiers fail to function efficiently if there’s a restriction of airflow.
It’s always recommended to place a dehumidifier near the center of the room. This is the best place to start because it offers the best room coverage and doesn’t restrict any airflow. Dehumidifiers have a tank that slowly fills up with water, and that means placing it near electronics like power strips may result in damages. However, the good news is that it’s rare to find a dehumidifier leaking on the ground, although you have to ensure that it doesn’t damage anything in case it leaks.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you should empty the tank of the dehumidifier. When the tank removes humidity from the air in your room/home, it tends to fill with water. Therefore, when placing your dehumidifier, you need to ensure that the tank is easily accessible so that you can empty it whenever you want. An alternative to this is using a dehumidifier that can connect the hose to automatically drain the tank.
You should also remember to clean your dehumidifier with vinegar, as it’s a piece of machinery that requires proper maintenance. Also, keep it away from dust and dirt sources to avoid having to clean it up too often. It’s crucial to note that having a clean and well-maintained dehumidifier will make it function properly and efficiently, thereby offering the best performance and comfort in the long run.
Other Things to Consider When Choosing a Wall Mounted Dehumidifier
When choosing a wall mounted dehumidifier, there are various things you need to consider to prevent regretting after your purchase. These factors include:
- Air Filter: An air filter is an optional accessory that assists the dehumidifier to clean the air that it draws. This basic process happens by passing air through the dehumidifier and also through the air filter. When this is done, moisture is drawn from the air and collected in the tank, and then clean air is exhausted back out.
- Pint Capacity: This is the amount of moisture in pints that the dehumidifier is able to remove in 24 hours. It is mainly affected by the area size and the initial moisture within that area. Typically, dehumidifiers with a pint capacity of less than 70 are ideal for homes or residential use. Dehumidifiers with 70 pints or more capacity are suitable for both commercial and industrial use.
- Noise Level: Quiet dehumidifiers are usually the best to consider using than noisy ones. Although it’s not a necessary feature, you need to know that dehumidifiers are louder than other home appliances – which means having a louder one would be worse. Having a dehumidifier with a decibel rating of 50 or less should be a good choice.
- Portability: It’s an obvious fact that having a portable dehumidifier has plenty of benefits. Portable units are small, they weigh less, and they also include rolling casters or a carrying handle. Portable units are suitable for anyone looking for an easy-to-move dehumidifier, instead of a permanent one.
- Manual and Electronic Controls: Most dehumidifiers on the market currently have manual and electronic controls. The difference between manual and electronic controls is setting. Electronic controls are done through a “button” while manual controls are done through a “dial”.
Should I Run My Dehumidifier Continuously?
It’s not mandatory to run a dehumidifier continuously. The best way to run your dehumidifier is when the level of humidity is above 50%. Also, constantly collecting water with a dehumidifier can help you maintain the right temperature and relative humidity at the perfect level.
Is It OK to Sleep with a Dehumidifier On?
Yes, you can sleep with a dehumidifier on if you want to maintain your ideal sleeping environment. However, some people find it risky because they think that a dehumidifier might overheat and cause a fire hazard. However, there is no reason to fear because the best wall mounted dehumidifier is built with regulatory requirements compliance to ensure it’s safe when used for a long period. Some models also have an auto shut-off feature.
5 Best Wall Mounted Dehumidifiers – Reviews
1. Innovative Dehumidifier Systems IW25-4 IN Wall Dehumidifier
If you’re looking for an energy star certified dehumidifier, then the Innovative Dehumidifier Systems IW25-4 IN Wall Dehumidifier is the right option to consider.
It helps you save energy costs, features a 5-year warranty and it’s easy to operate. It controls relative humidity for spaces up to 1500 sq. ft, thereby extracting up to 29 pints per day at AHAM conditions (800F/600% R.H.).
The dehumidifier is powerful but quiet, as it operates at lower sound levels than 45dBA, and removes excess moisture without having to sacrifice comfort or ambiance. It also features an auto-restart after a power interruption. Also, the IW25-4 has an LED light for signaling when the air filter requires cleaning or changing.
It’s a unit that drains directly into a hub drain or other plumbing source to offer you a hands-off dehumidification system. It also includes a standard 120V AC electricity connection with a hardwired option.
Since it helps in keeping the relative humidity consistent, this assists in improving the air quality through mold prevention. You can also adjust the humidity level from 36 to 90 percent. Overall, this best wall-mounted dehumidifier is designed for higher efficiency and performance.
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Improves air quality
- Not durable enough if used too much
2. Ebac Heavy Duty Wall Mounted Dehumidifier
- Supplied Complete with Wall Mounting Bracket
- Sturdy Military-Type Carrying Handles
- For Areas Up To 3000 Sq Ft
The Ebac Heavy Duty Wall Mounted Dehumidifier comes supplied complete with a wall mounting bracket and the good thing about it is that it’s sturdy and reliable.
Portability is also a unique factor that makes this dehumidifier stand out and suitable for use in homes or commercial spaces. Since it’s portable and comes with a wall mounting bracket, it’s easy to set up and start using immediately.
This sturdy military-type dehumidifier also includes carrying handles, which make it easier to carry from one room to the other for installation. It’s suitable for areas measuring approximately 3000 square feet, which is ideal if you only need it for a room in your house or a small commercial space. The heavy-duty wall-mounted dehumidifier offers nothing but excellent performance.
If you’re in a hostile industrial or marine environment, you can rely on the Ebac Heavy Duty Wall Mounted Dehumidifier to perform perfectly without any issues or complicated maintenance needs. It also doesn’t experience costly downtime, plus it’s a dual usage type of dehumidifier – meaning you can use it on the ground or wall.
- Requires less maintenance
- Excellent performance
- May become inefficient after long use
- Not suitable for areas larger than 3000 sq ft.
3.Ultra –Aire In-Wall Dehumidifier
- Flexibility and ease of installation: fits between existing wall studs
- Quiet sound levels of 47dbA or less - similar to a mini refrigerator
- Automatic restart in the event of power outage
- Drains directly into hub drain or ties into existing plumbing
- Tamper-proof “lock-out” features
The Ultra –Aire In-Wall Dehumidifier is referred to as the first in-wall dehumidifier. The reason why it’s the best wall-mounted dehumidifier to consider buying is that it maintains a healthy and comfortable living space. The dehumidifier is designed for rooms measuring 1200 square feet, and can comfortably remove up to 33 pints per daily in rooms.
It comes with a diffuse cover with filter, installation instructions that make it easier to install, a 10-foot drain hose, 10-foot power cord, and cable clamp. The Ultra –Aire In-Wall Dehumidifier is suitable for use in single-family homes, hotels, apartments, student housing, and senior living centers.
Aside from just helping you maintain a healthy humidity level, this dehumidifier can also help you avoid extra costs on property damage and mold remediation.
The design of the dehumidifier is meant to fit between two wall studs, and that means you’ll need an opening of about 14.5 inches across and a height of 30.25 inches.
It comes with a full 4-year warranty, sleek front panel, and automatic restart. It also includes an efficient design and operating temperatures suitable to work in areas between 490 and 950F.
- Perfect design
- Easy to install
- Suitable only for small spaces of up to 1200 sq ft.
- It doesn’t include an internal condensate pump
- It lacks lower temperature operation settings
4. Ebac AD850E Dehumidifier
- Streamlined modern design
- Cross flow blower style fan
- Built-in electronic humidistat
The Ebac AD850E Dehumidifier offers an excellent style and performance. It is a highly efficient dehumidifier that can remove up to 87 pints of moisture daily, from damp to wet environments.
The dehumidifier includes two removable and washable air filters, an internal condensate pump, low-temperature capability, and two powerful fan speeds.
It has a streamlined design and neutral color that can complement any décor. There’s also a digital display and soft-touch controls that enable you to easily install the program settings.
Therefore, the Ebac AD850E Dehumidifier offers flexible installation options. With this dehumidifier, you can easily control the relative humidity of your space up to 1700 square feet.
You can do that by drawing wet and uncomfortable air into the unit and condensing the excess moisture that’s passing over the cooling elements.
After that, the dried air will pass through a final heat exchange where it will be warmed and redistributed. The versatile installation options of this dehumidifier make it suitable to use on walls or free-standing.
- Easy to setup
- Low-temperature operation
- No auto-restart
5. EcoAir DCW10 Wall Mounted/Freestanding Dehumidifier
The EcoAir DCW10 Wall Mounted/Freestanding Dehumidifier comes with excellent features and it’s also easy to use. Installation of this dehumidifier is also easy since all the instructions have been provided and you can mount it on your wall or freestanding. It has a charcoal filter and remote control, which make it easier to use.
The water tank of this dehumidifier can hold up to 10 liters of water. However, this product is heavy as it weighs approximately 10.5 kilograms. The dimensions of the dehumidifier are 6.89 x 12.72 x 20.87 inches. You can use it in any room of your home due to its versatility feature and efficiency.
The EcoAir DCW10 Wall Mounted/Freestanding Dehumidifier is also energy-efficient, which makes it suitable as it can help you save electricity costs. You won’t feel stressed when you think about running this dehumidifier for long because it doesn’t consume a lot of electricity. Overall, it’s the best wall-mounted dehumidifier to buy since it offers value for money.
- Compact design
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Not durable enough
A dehumidifier offers the best solution to improve the condition of your room or home. The best wall mounted dehumidifier depends on your needs and preferences. What you need to ensure is that you take your time, do more research and find a unit that will be best suitable for your space.
If you have any insights or questions, please feel free to post them in the comments section below, or simply reach out to us through email and we’ll be happy to respond to you.