Keeping a large room adequately cool without breaking the bank can be challenging. However, it is possible to achieve this by choosing an energy-efficient cooling solution that is effective for large rooms.
The most efficient cooling solution that we recommend is a large room window air conditioner. They are affordable, energy-efficient, and easy to set up and maintain.
In this guide, you’ll discover the best window air conditioner for large room. Since not all air conditioners are not created equal, we have listed the best units for various room sizes, needs, and budgets.
In the next section, we delve into how to choose the right large window ac unit. You’ll discover things that matter most when looking for a window ac unit as well as how to get the best out of your unit.
10 Best Window Air Conditioner For Large Room Reviews
1. Frigidaire FFRE2533U2 25,000 BTU 230V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- Dimensions - Exterior: 26-17/32" W x 26-5/16" D x 18-5/8" H | Window Width: 30" - 41" | Cut out Width: 26-17/32" | Cut out Height: 18-5/8"
- 25,000 (high) / 24,700 (low) BTU heavy-duty air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Special 230V electrical outlet required (Unit will not work with a standard 115V outlet)
- Quickly cools a room up to 1, 600 sq. ft.
- Dehumidification up to 10. 3 pints per hour
- 2016 Energy Star: 10. 3 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)
The Frigidaire FFRE2533U2 25,000 BTU 230V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner is ideal for cooling a room up to 1,600 square feet. While most large room air conditioners are thought to be loud, this model is one of the quietest and operates at 53 dB on low setting and 58 dB on a high setting.
This window ac is feature-packed to give you the best experience during the hot summer. The first feature is the temperature sensing remote control that allows you to set and maintain room temperature from across the room.
The clean air Ionizer and clean filter purify the room and keep away foul odor. Moreover, the clean filter alert notifies when your filters need to be cleaned. The unit has a dehumidification rate of 10.3 pints per hour. With the automatic restart, it resumes operation from its previous settings.
The multi-speed fan of this unit comes with three different speeds, allowing you to choose the amount of cool air circulated in the room. The 24-hour on/off timer customizes the time according to your schedule. The adjustable side panels and the 4-way direction control allow you to choose the direction of the airflow.
When it comes to installation, first make sure you have a 230-volt electric outlet because the unit will not work with a standard 115V outlet. If you have basic DIY skills, you can install the unit yourself or hire an HVAC technician.
The low power start-up and energy saver mode help conserve energy, thereby saving your money. It is a 2016 Energy Star qualified AC and has an energy-efficiency ratio of 10.3 (EER).
- Clean air ionizer to remove impurities from the air
- Fresh air vent and exhaust control
- Low power start-up
- Quiet operating sound
- Clean Filter Alert
- Energy Star-certified
- Requires a 230-volt circuit and a special plug
2. LG Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED - This air conditioner has met the high standards of the ENERGY STAR Program using energy-efficient technologies that translate into electricity savings.
- MULTIPLE FAN SPEEDS - 3 cooling and fan speeds with Auto Cool allow you to customize your cooling.
- MAXIMUM USABILITY - Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- AUTO RESTART - After a power failure, Auto Restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 800 SQ. FT. - LW1516ER is ideal for cooling medium rooms (20' X 40')
The LG Energy Star is perfect for a room up to 1,000 square feet. It has a dehumidification rate of up to 4.9 pints per hour. With its energy-saver option and 11.9 energy-efficiency ratio, it can help you to save on your energy bills. Remember, this unit is a costly but long-term investment.
The unit’s 24-hour on/off cycle enables it to work around your schedule, providing you with comfort at its best. The efficient remote control makes it easy to operate from across the room. Its gold finish and anti-corrosion coating ensure it’s protected from damage, so you are guaranteed of long term comfort.
LG Energy Star Window Ac comes with three cooling and fan speeds, so you can adjust the temperature depending on how warm or hot the room is. Although it is a bit noisy, it can provide quick cooling to your room. The automatic restart restores previous settings when the power comes back.
This 2016 Energy Star-certified window air conditioner features all the specifications you can ever ask from a window AC unit. It is perfect for cooling a large space without any hassle. Despite all its excellent features, it has a small drawback – it requires a special 230V outlet for operations.
- Removes moisture from the air
- Comes with a remote control
- Energy saver
- Energy Star-certified
- 24 hour on/off cycle.
- Anti-corrosion coating
- Complex installation process
- Special 230V electrical outlet required
3. Friedrich Chill Series CP24G30B Window Air Conditioner
- POWERFUL - 23,000 BTUs of cooling power and 12,000 BTUs of heating power regulates a 1400 sq. ft. room
- REMOTE CONTROL - Lets you make comfort adjustments from anywhere in the room
- VERSATILITY - 4 Modes of Operation (Fan, Cool, Money Saver, Dehumidify)
- CONTINUOUS AUTO AIR SWEEP LOUVERS - Automatically oscillate louvers left and right during cooling
- SPECIFICATIONS - 30.3 x 25.5 x 16.9 inches
This powerful, 24,000/23,500 BTU, 230/208V window air conditioner can provide adequate cooling for rooms up to 1,400 square feet. That means it is up to the task whether you use it to supplement your central unit or as the primary cooling unit.
Hot zones are a common thing with air conditioners. However, Friedrich Chill Series CP24G30B has Auto Air Sweep swing louvers that ensure consistent air distribution, cooling the room evenly as long as space is within the recommended size.
The difference between this ac and other units we have reviewed on this list is that it gives you flexibility where it is installed – it can be mounted on the wall or window. Before buying this AC, make sure you have the right size. It’s 30.3 x 25.5 x 16.9 inches and weighs 146 pounds.
Whether installed in a wall or window, this AC is still easy to control using the remote. You can also take advantage of the 24-hour timer to set how long and when the unit turns on or off. The auto-restart system enables the AC to restore its previous settings after a power outage.
This unit’s ultra-quiet feature allows you to sleep peacefully without being disturbed by any loud noises. Moreover, it is energy efficient, especially if you use the money-saver mode, which cycles the unit on and off, ensuring the unit doesn’t run continuously and consuming energy.
- Stale air exhaust
- Washable filters
- Comes with a remote control
- Automatic air sweep louvers
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Low maintenance filtration
- Power cord flexibility
4. Whirlpool Energy Star Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- POWERFUL COOLING CAPACITY: The 18,000 BTU window air conditioner is powerful enough to cool rooms up to 1,000 sq. ft. with 4.75 pints per hour of dehumidification including your apartment, bedroom, living room or any environment!
- FUNCTIONALITY: Electrontic control panel with digital display and 3 cooling speeds, eco mode, sleep mode, and programmable 24 hour on/off timer with 8-way directional air louvers to give consumers multiple options for comfort. Remote control included for easy control.
- ENERGY STAR RATED COOLING: Energy Star efficiency saves you money on your electric bill (11.9 EER).
- EASY TO INSTALL: Comes with a quick and effective window mounting kit that allows for easy installation in windows with minimum window height of 19".
- REPLACEABLE FILTER: Clean Alert indicates when air filters should be replaced or removed and washed for convenient maintenance.
This 18,000 BTU 230V window-mounted AC can cool a 1,000 square feet room. It has a dehumidification rate of 4.75 pints per hour, with an airflow capacity of 382 CFM. It comes with remote control with an LCD display to set and maintain temperature from anywhere in the room.
It offers 3 cooling speeds and an auto option for cooling flexibility. Moreover, the 8-way directional air louvers make it easy to focus the air where it is needed the most. The clean filter alert removes impure air and odor from the room.
The Whirlpool Energy Star Window Air Conditioner has an auto-restart function, enabling it to operate at the previous setting before a power outage. The programmable 24-hour timer allows you to set when you want the AC on and off. Therefore, you don’t have to wait till you can come back home to turn it on, and have not to worry if you leave it on when you go to work early in the morning.
Energy efficiency is an important factor when looking for a window air conditioner. While this AC is powerful, it is also energy-efficient thanks to the 11.9 EER, Eco mode, and sleep mode. All these features are intended to make the unit operate and provide comfort without spiking your monthly cooling bills.
With an easy installation process, this air conditioner is a complete package for large spaces. The only shortcoming of this unit is that it requires a 230-volt circuit. You have to upgrade if you use the standard 115V outlet.
- Energy Star-compliant
- Remote control with LCD display
- 8-way directional air louvers
- Clean filter alert
- Easy to install
- Requires a special 230-V electrical outlet
5. MIDEA MAW12R1BWT Window Air Conditioner
- 3 IN 1 COMFORT - The Midea EasyCool Window AC unit has three modes to help your house, apartment, office, or room be as comfortable as possible. It can cool a space quickly, circulate air with its 3-speed fan, or reduce humidity utilizing the dehumidifier mode.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT - The EasyCool window air conditioner is Energy Star certified to help save you money throughout the year. There is also multiple custom settings to help you be even more energy efficient like Eco mode and an EasyTimer feature to program a schedule that fits your needs.
- QUIET & EASY TO USE - This window AC unit is quieter than a household refrigerator. It also features intuitive LED display and includes a compact remote control (batteries included) to easily set the time, temperature, and mode from across the room. There is also a removable and reusable air filter to protect your family and living space from dust and pet hairs.
- EASY INSTALLATION - Install easily in your home or apartments existing window frame (23"-36"x14"). All mounting accessories are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Installation instructions are simple and setting it up is a breeze.
- WORLDWIDE LEADER - Midea is the world’s #1 air treatment brand with a motto to help make customers feel at home with each of their products. As a testament to our dedication to quality and our customers, we offer a one year parts and labor warranty on this product.
- Wattage: 1000 watts
The Midea Window Air Conditioner is a fast cooling 12,000 BTU model with a 3-in-1 functionality that provides air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan-only mode. It is an efficient cooling system for a room up to 550 square feet.
While this unit does a great job of providing comfort during the sweltering summer, it equally helps save money since it is built with energy efficiency in mind. It features a timer mode, energy saver mode, and sleep mode; all these features will ensure your home is cool without worrying about your energy bills.
MIDEA MAW12R1BWT is easy to operate. It comes with remote control and a clear LED display on the front panel. The remote provides access to all the modes and includes a filter alert feature that gives a warning when you need to change the filter.
This window unit can be installed easily and comes with mounting accessories. It only requires a screwdriver for installation, but its heavyweight may force you to ask for professional help.
We love that the company offers one-year parts and labor warranty on this product.
- Energy Star-compliant
- Remote control with LED display
- Filter check
- Energy saver
- Easy installation
- Worldwide warranty
6. Friedrich EP18G33B Window Air Conditioner
- WERFUL - 18,000 BTUs of cooling power and 12,000 BTUs of heating power that regulate a 1000 sq. ft. room can be installed as a window air conditioner or in wall
- ULTRA QUIET OPERATION - Window ac designed to cut operation noise to a minimum
- CONTINUOUS AUTO AIR SWEEP LOUVERS - Automatically oscillate louvers left and right during cooling
- POWER CORD FLEXIBILITY – Can run either left or right out of the side of the unit front
- SPECIFICATIONS - 30.3 x 25.5 x 16.9 inches (DxWxH)
This window air conditioner with 18,000 BTU of cooling power and 12,000 BTU heating power is capable of regulating a 1,000 square feet room. Its 30.3 x 25.5 x 16.9 inches (DxWxH) specifications make it easy to be installed in a wall or as a window AC.
The Friedrich EP18G33B Window Air Conditioner has 3 fan speeds for your cooling preference. Moreover, the auto swing louvers feature makes it a very proficient cooling system. It has an energy-saving mode and an 11.2 energy-efficiency ratio, but it is not Energy Star-rated.
It comes with a remote to operate the AC from across the room. The 24-hour on/off timer is for programming the operation at your custom schedule. It comes with washable filters for easy maintenance. Meanwhile, moisture removal ensures pure airflow.
The anti-intrusion protection and heavy-duty side curtains feature protect this AC from wear and tear. The ultra-quiet option helps you enjoy a sound sleep without any disturbance. This is a versatile window AC that can fulfill all your cooling demands.
- Auto swing louvers
- Washable filter
- Remote control
- Moisture removal
- Anti-intrusion protection
- Heavy-duty side curtains
- Ultra-quiet option
- Not Energy Star-rated.
7. TOSOT 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner – 2019 Model
- QUICK COOLING: Give your hot room the cold shoulder. TOSOT 12,000 BTU Window Air conditioners are best for spaces up to 550 sq. ft. If your space has high ceiling, an open floor plan, or a lot of traffic, you may want to consider sizing up.
- MODERN DESIGN: This ain't your grannie's Window AC. Gone are the eyesores of yesterday, with their ugly metal grilles messing up the flow of your interior decorating skills. Bring the art gallery to your home by installing this sleek, minimalistic air conditioner in your living room window.
- 1 PRODUCT, 3 USES: At TOSOT, we want our products to solve as many of your problems as possible. That's why we're giving you three products for the price of one! This is not only a Window Air Conditioner, but also comes with modes for fan-only and for dehumidifying.
- SMART TEMPERATURE CONTROL: On most air conditioners, the thermostat is located on the unit itself. TOSOT Air Conditioners uses a thermostat is located on the remote, meaning your AC will cool your space based on the temperature around your remote (which is probably close to you, right?)
- SAVES YOU MONEY: TOSOT Window Air Conditioners are Energy-Star rated, making them better for the environment and your wallet. Everyone may not agree on climate change, but the one thing we can all stand behind is lower utility bills.
The Tosot Window Air Conditioner is a brilliant cooling unit with 12,000 BTU, suitable for spaces up to 550 square feet. It is ideal for high ceilings and attics. This air conditioner is multi-faceted, with 3 features in 1. It is not only an air conditioning unit, but it also has a dehumidifying and fan mode.
The smart temperature control feature of the unit is the latest technology in which the thermostat is not located on the unit but on the remote! Tosot has developed a mind-blowing technology for its air conditioning system; the thermostat on the remote senses the air around it and then maintains your room temperature accordingly.
It comes with the ease of reusable filters for your convenience. It is an Energy Star-rated appliance, which helps save your hard-earned money. The multiple wind direction feature is designed to cool your room quickly. One drawback of this otherwise ideal window AC is that it has a loud operation noise.
Last but not least, its stylish and trendy design will complement your interior. It is a perfect representation of the contemporary lifestyle.
- Reusable filter
- Modern design
- Smart temperature control
- Energy Star-rated
- Multiple wind directions
Large Window Air Conditioner Buying Guide
A window air conditioner is a long-term investment, so it makes sense to want to make the right decision when you go shopping. And that is what this section is all about, especially if you’re a new buyer.
All window air conditioner manufacturers promise a lot of things to buyers and advertise their products as the best. This makes it difficult sometimes to make the right choice.
However, we have listed some of the basic and important things you have to consider when choosing a window air conditioner for your home. Keep in mind that other extra features improve efficiency and convenience when using an air conditioning system.
However, if you disregard the basic things, then you won’t get the best out of your unit. If you’re not sure about the size of your window, you can also check air conditioners for small window opening.
Before we delve into these factors, why is a window air conditioner important?
Benefits of Window Air Conditioners
There are two major reasons why you need to choose window air conditioners:
Window air conditioners are an affordable yet reliable option for cooling your house. Installing a central air condition system is a very costly investment, and can prove to be very heavy on the pocket in terms of operation and maintenance costs.
People that go for a window unit usually want only one room of their house to be cool at a time. It is an energy-efficient option if you want to save money on your cooling bills.
Depending on your budget, you can find cheap window air conditioners under $200 or go for high-end units over $500.
2. Easy Installation
While installation differs from one model to another, a window AC unit is pretty easy to install, and you don’t need an HVAC technician to do it for you. Most manufacturers even include an installation manual to help people who don’t consider themselves handy. All they have to do is follow the step-by-step directions.
Moreover, it is easy to uninstall, which makes it ideal for people in a rented property. They can easily take their window air conditioning unit with them when they plan to move out without any hassle.
Window air conditioning units are ideal for small rooms as they can cool the room quickly and effectively. The compact size of a window unit does not make a room look cramped or take up your floor space, which is a huge advantage if you live in a tiny house.
Things to Consider when Choosing the Best Window Air Conditioner for Large Room
Now that you know the advantages of a window air conditioner let’s walk you through the factors you have to consider before making your purchase.
1. Cooling Capacity
This is the most important thing you have to consider when choosing an air conditioner. You should calculate the area of your room where you want your air conditioner to be installed. The BTU, which is the unit for measurement of the cooling power per hour, is specified for every AC model. You can analyze the BTU that would be required for your space. The BTU can range from 5,000 to 24,000, depending on the size of your room.
You must consider what kind of installation you are looking for when choosing a window air conditioner for your room. Some AC units are designed for the standard window sizes, while others are designed to be installed in a custom-created wall space with the help of specialized mounting hardware. If you have vertical or horizontal windows, you can also choose casement window air conditioners.
There are two kinds of installations:
- Window: Make sure you are keeping the dimensions of your window in mind before choosing your AC. If you have a tiny window, don’t panic as your AC unit can still be installed with the help of the installation kit.
- Wall: Not every window AC model is built for wall installations, so choose your AC keeping that in mind. Carefully note down the specifications of the AC unit and check if your wall has enough space to accommodate it. The best option is usually to select a wall-mounted air conditioner.
3. Electrical outlet requirement
There are a few window air conditioners that require a 230-volt electrical outlet and special plugs to operate. Don’t forget to go through this important factor that most people ignore while choosing their window ACs.
No matter how well your window AC functions, if it is loud enough to disrupt your daily routine or disturb your sleep, it will not prove to be a reliable unit. However, keep in mind that most air conditioners for large rooms are a little noisy because of the capacity they hold.
What we recommend is to check the decibel rating and choose the lowest figure. If the figure is below 55 decibels, then it won’t be too loud. Avoid any unit that has a decibel rating over 60; it will be too loud, you won’t be able to concentrate.
5. Energy Efficiency
Look for an Energy Star-compliant air conditioner model. The energy-efficiency ratio (EER) will also give you an idea of how efficient the air conditioner is. The higher the EER, the more energy it can save. A 24-hour on/off timer is also a feature to look for if you are searching for an energy-efficiency AC. By maintaining the temperature, it will save not only your energy use but also your precious money.
The exterior of a large air conditioner is as important as its interior features. As mentioned above, an AC is a long-term investment, so you want to make sure it lasts for a long time. An anti-corrosion body will ensure a long life span of your air conditioner.
Features to Look for in the Best Window Air Conditioner for Large Room
Some features are intended to improve efficiency and convenience when using a window air conditioner. Here are some of those features
- Dehumidifier: This is the best feature for people with allergies. It helps remove excess moisture from your room, purifies the air, and removes bad odor.
- Eco-Mode: Eco mode is an important feature if you are looking for an energy-saving air conditioner that provides you with low utility bills.
- Filter Alert: Nobody likes to check the filters of their AC from time to time. The filter alert feature notifies you when you need to clean or replace your filters.
- 24-Hour On/Off timer: This feature enables your air conditioner to work around your custom schedule. If you want to come home to a cool room after a long day at work, time your air conditioner as per your schedule.
- AC/Heater combination: It’s always a delight to get two things for the price of one. Have an AC/Heater combo makes a unit versatile for both seasons.
- LED Remote: The LED remote helps you to see, set, and maintain the temperature of the AC from anywhere in the room.
- Auto Restart: In case of a power outage, the operation of your AC gets interrupted. The auto-restart feature enables your Ac to restore its previous settings before turning off.
- Fan Speed Adjustments: Most air conditioning units come with a three fan mode these days; it allows you to change the cooling with flexibility.
- Air Direction Control: The air direction control makes your AC more efficient and cools the room quickly. If the AC has auto swing louvers, feature, your room will get cold quickly.
- Ultra-Quiet Operation: Your window air conditioning system should not only be efficient and cool the room fast, but it should not be noisy as well. Sometimes, ACs make a loud, rattling sound that is very unpleasant to the ears. It can be very distracting and annoying and can mess up your sleep schedule.
These are some of the features that are instrumental in making a buying decision. Remember, the requirements could differ from person to person, so analyze your needs carefully before making your final decision.
We have come to the end of the extensive and detailed list of the best window air conditioner for large room. Hopefully, this article will help you make a wise buying decision and find the right unit for your room.
Make your summers comfortable and relaxed with the above-mentioned reliable, affordable, and efficient cooling systems. Find the right model according to your requirements, and if you want extra features, you know what to look for.