Fireplaces provide warmth and ambiance for your family and guests in the winter. While they are attractive and produce heat in their immediate surrounding, traditional fireplaces are energy hogs.
Don’t freat. There are alternatives you can use without worrying about your energy bills going through the roof. And these are the most energy efficient electric fireplaces.
Apart from being one of the most energy-efficient heat sources in winter, electric fireplaces don’t produce toxic fumes, low maintenance, much more reasonable to buy and install, last a surprisingly long time, and available in a plethora of options and designs.
These are just a few of the reasons you need to invest in the most efficient electric fireplace. If you’re ready to enjoy the coziness of an electric fireplace heater, I’ve included some of the best models.
Most Energy Efficient Electric Fireplace Reviews 2021
1. e-Flame USA Hamilton Freestanding Electric Fireplace Stove
- Design | The lavish and baroque-like design of the Hamilton highlights the realistic dancing flames and burning log effect. This model’s lightweight construction makes transporting from room-to-room both easy and convenient. The unit always stays cool, so it can be instantly moved to another space, while the universal style is a fashionable heating solution for the guest room, basement, garage, workplace motorhome/RV…anywhere! It’s even safe to set on all flooring types.
- Features | A quiet, fan-forced heater with easy-to-adjust settings for even heat distribution. Enjoy the warm glow of the flame effect with the no-heat option for rich visual enjoyment year-round. Safety protection includes automatic shut-off if knocked over, or moved, to prevent overheating. As an added benefit, the unit stays cool to-the-touch, is odorless and smokeless, and is safe for the elderly, kids, and pets.
- Decoration | Although great-looking alone, e-Flame USA’s Hamilton model electric fireplace can be dressed up to reflect your personal style. Because exterior faces stay cool, this is a perfect place to display your seasonal décor and home accessories. It also provides a functional surface to arrange your favorite photos, candles, or any home accent pieces you want to showcase.
- Energy Savings | If you are looking for an economical solution, you’re in luck! This unit can reduce your electric bill by using over 90% less energy than gas. It heats up quickly with two heat setting options, so there is no need to pay the high cost of heating your entire home. Simply run the fireplace to your desired temperature and turn on the no-heat option to continue the visual enjoyment. Enjoy the cost-effective benefits from your investment instantly.
- Specifications | Dimensions: 22" (H) x 15" (W) x 10" (D). Uses 40-watt bulbs (2) for easy replacement. 750-volt on low. 1500-volt on high. This 1500-watt unit comes with a 6-ft. long cord to ensure preferred placement of your choice in space, and plugs into any standard household outlet. Top arched panes highlight the sturdy glass-faced faux door. With 5115 BTUs, this unit provides supplemental heat for up to 400 sq. ft. Quick and easy assembly will get you warm and comfortable in minutes.
The e-Flame USA Hamilton Freestanding Electric Fireplace Stove has been designed for conveniently warming different zones and places in your home according to your needs. It has a small footprint; therefore, you can carry it from one place to another without much hassle.
Besides, you can use the controls to change the performance of the electric fireplace. By toggling between the low and high heating capacity modes, you can avoid wasting electric energy and keep your heating costs down. Moreover, the forced fan system ensures even and fast distribution of warm air around the space.
However, you will have to bear with a few drawbacks when using this electric fireplace stove. Its surface may become slightly hot after some time. Thus, it is not safe for kids and pets to keep playing with the electric fireplace. Besides, some people find the forced fan system slightly noisy.
- An efficient source of secondary heating because of the controls
- The forced fan system ensures even distribution of warm air for zonal heating
- Highly portable because of the small footprint
- The forced fan system often causes the heater to be slightly noisy
2. Touchstone 80004 – Sideline Electric Fireplace
- APPEARANCE: The Sideline electric fireplace is designed for recessed in-wall mounting. Creating a cozy atmosphere of a traditional fireplace, this electronic fireplace has realistic flames with a real fire look. The Sideline’s 5 flame settings radiate a soft ember glow up to an intense blaze. Sideline gives you the total package. Control the heat and flame with the remote control. Designed to use one log or crystal, if you prefer you can mix both safely.
- INSTALLATION: This Sideline installs simply and can safely be attached to framing studs. The sides & back of the unit remain with the heat feature on. Recommended minimum of 8” of space between the top of the fireplace and your TV, mantel, picture ceiling. The Sideline can be installed in existing fireplace openings safely. Consult with a licensed professional to ensure your unused gas lines and vents are secured properly. The Sideline fireplace is ventless.
- OPERATION: The Sideline’s heater will take the edge off a cool room or basement, and it can be run with no heat, just flames in warmer climates. The Sideline comes with a 6-foot power cord for a 110-120V outlet. It is also hard-wire ready for in-wall install. The unit draws a max of 12 amps, so the fireplace can be used on a 15-amp circuit. A 20-amp circuit may be necessary, depending on the use of other electronics on that same electric circuit.
- FEATURES: The Sideline features an unmatched flame. Friends will be nervous to touch realistic flame behind the glass. The Sideline includes faux-fire logs & crystals to create an authentic feel, as well as an IR remote controlling flame color & intensity, the heater and shut-off timer. Front facing heater vents allow you to position the Sideline just 8” under a flat screen TV. The Sideline can be hardwired or plugged in to your electric source.
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: 1. We recommend 8 inches of space between your fireplace & TV. 2. The Sideline pulls a max of 12 amps. 3. The fireplaces includes a wall-mount bracket, if you don’t recess it. 4. You can install the Sideline in an existing fireplace opening. It stays cool to the touch on the sides & back and is ventless. You can use the Sideline with just the flame and no heat. 5. The heater it will warm up a cool room, but won’t replace a primary heat source.
One of the most notable features of the Touchstone 80004 electric fireplace is the level of customization. You can toggle between a log and crystal faux hearth. Additionally, you can choose the color of the dancing flames from three options (blue, orange, and blue-orange).
Also, it is possible to change the heating capacity of the fireplace by shifting from 1,500w to the 750w. When operating on the low mode, the heater can conveniently provide zonal heating in rooms that need supplemental heating most.
This level of customization helps to improve the overall performance of the heater. You can adjust its operations, according to the heating needs of the home. In the end, one can eliminate the consumption of electric energy for unnecessary heating in the home.
The Touchstone 80004 electric fireplace has a sleek, modern design with a black finish that blends perfectly with modern and traditional décor styles. When mounted on the wall, the fireplace can form a great focal point in the living room.
- Elegant and sleek design with a black finish enhances the look of a room
- Great level of customization including the change of flame colors and type of faux hearth
- The surface of the electric heater becomes slightly hot
3. R.W. FLAME 36 inch Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
- 【Attractive and Practical Design】 36"L x 18.11"H x3.89 "W, The thickness of the new style is only 3.85 inch while the old one is 6 inch. And it opearates the same as the old one. Also we redesign the location of main power and power cable, which makes the new fireplace more attractive and practical.
- 【MULTI OPERATING MODES】: Touch screen and remote control;12 flame & LED flame bed color modes;5 flame speed modes;5 flame brightness levels; Specially automatic flame design(the flame color and brightness changed
- 【ENERGY SAVINGS】: 750W & 1500W modes can be adjusted accordingly for both warm and energy saving purpose. The supplemental zone heating is for up to 400 square feet.
- 【SAFETY & COMFORT】: ETL Certificate Approved. It also has auto-heat kill safety to avoid the superheating. The heat is good for maintaining the natural humidity within the air without making the room too dry.
- 【Warranty & Customer Service】: 1 year warranty, feel free to contact us whenever you have questions, satisfied solutions would be provided. You will be amazed at the customer service you receive after the sale! ORDER NOW and consider buying one set for your sweet home. Let R.W.FLAME electric fireplace warm your home and life.
The R.W. FLAME 36 inch Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace can be an excellent choice if you are looking for a device that you can greatly customize to your needs. It comes with enhanced control features, including a touch screen functionality, and universal remote control.
You can use the touch screen functionality and remote control to adjust the heating capacity of the fireplace according to the requirements in your room. Thus, the enhanced control features maximize the level of customization and convenience that one enjoys when using this electric fireplace.
The inbuilt safety features, including the capacity to shut off when the temperatures rise beyond predetermined levels, can be used to improve energy efficiency.
However, this electric fireplace is suitable for warming spaces that do not exceed 400 square feet. If your living room is larger than 400 square feet, then you will have to find an alternative brand with greater heating capacity than this one.
- Enhanced control features, including touch screen functionality and remote control
- An attractive design (thinner than older models)
- Inbuilt safety features, including automatic shutoff in the case of overheating
- The electric fireplace is not suitable for use in rooms that measure over 400 square feet
4. YODOLLA 28.5″ Electric Fireplace Insert
- 【MODERN HOME DECOR】: YODOLLA fireplace brings relaxation and comfort to the home, providing a warm environment for your home to maintain heat. Control and remote control provide a variety of unique user experiences for heating and other seasons in winter.
- 【EFFICIENT HEATING & ENERGY SAVING】: 750W-1500W is suitable for different rooms and weather, and can be adjusted accordingly to achieve energy saving. The thermostat can control the room temperature from 60°F to 82°F to suit the user's preferences. The countdown timer can be set to turn off the fireplace for 1 hour to 8 hours.
- 【REALISTIC EFFECT & SAFETY】: High-performance Log flame effect provides a very bright and realistic flame effect. 3 different flame color and flame brightness settings to suit your needs.Using the latest technology instead of gas or oil saves time and effort. And the fireplace does not produce messy or harmful products and is safe for people and pets.
- 【DIMENSIONE & POWER】: Product size 28.5''x5.7''x21'' , Inner size 24.6" x 19" x 5.3", Packing size,31.5''x7.5''x24'' ,G.W. 28lbs. Power: 110-120 volts/60Hz.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】: In-wall embedded installation, connect the power supply according to the installation instructions. WARRANTY POLICY: 1 year warranty, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will provide a satisfactory solution.
If you are looking for an electric fireplace that is great on performance and safety, then the YODOLLA Fireplace Heater may be the right brand for you. This electric fireplace has several features that you can utilize to enhance its overall efficiency and minimize the heating costs in your home.
The inbuilt thermostat and timer can be used to determine the heating capacity and time of operation of the electric fireplace respectively. You can use the heater to program the device to operate for any length of time from one to eight hours. However, remember that it is not advisable to leave an electric fireplace on when you are sleeping or away from the home.
Thanks to the inbuilt thermostat, you can alter the temperature from 62 degrees Fahrenheit to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range is broad enough to ensure that your living or bedroom is cozy throughout.
- Its control features can be used to improve efficiency and reduce heating costs
- Amazing aesthetics, including a modern elegant design and real-like flames
- The inbuilt thermostat helps to customize the operation of the fireplace
- The surface of the heater may be slightly hot
5. Dimplex Electric Fireplace Deluxe 23-Inch Insert
- GLOW: Designed with patented LED inner glow and pulsating ember technology allows the log and embers to glow in concert creating an unmatched realistc fireplace experience
- YEAR-ROUND: Enjoy the comfort and charm of a fireplace 365 days a year using the flames with or without the heat
- SAFE: With no flame heat or emission and a glass from that remains cool to the touch, our fireplaces are the safe choice for your home
- CLEAN: Our firebox is the perfect green alternative with no harmful particulates or emissions while being 100% efficient
- DISCREET: With our heater being up to 42% smaller than conventional baseboards, this allows for discreet styling, reduced length and added versatility of placement when designing a room
Dimplex Electric Fireplace Deluxe has been designed to provide a reliable source of secondary heat in the home. It has a forced fan system that is used to evenly distribute heat in indoor spaces and maintain a cozy environment for a long time. Moreover, you can adjust the heating temperature of the electric fireplace to ensure the effective heating of zones in the home.
Apart from the performance, another notable aspect of this electric fireplace is its aesthetic value. Dimplex Electric Fireplace Deluxe has a patented flame technology that entails a slow-burning real-like flame on logs. This hearth style can be used to complement the interior décor of your home.
It is very easy to install this electric fireplace if you have a steel fireplace opening. It comes with all the hardware you need to get it mounted on recessed wall spaces. If you understand how to do this, then there is no need to hire a technician to do it for you.
- The patented flame with real-like embers provides excellent aesthetic value
- Even distribution of heat, thanks to the built-in fan system
- Easy and straightforward on steel fireplace openings
- The electric fireplace heater is slightly noisy
6. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet to help you save money
- Patent pending 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames that dance on and behind the logs, including five adjustable color, brightness, and speed settings
- The infrared quartz heat helps to maintain the natural humidity in the air, resulting in comfortable heat without drying out the room's
- Overheat protection, heater will instantly shut off to prevent overheating. Volts : 120. Amps : 12.5
- Adjustable, digital thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of your room
To achieve efficiency when using an electric fireplace, it is advisable to adopt a zonal heating strategy. By heating the areas that need warmth most, you will end up controlling your heating costs. Having a portable electric fireplace makes zonal heating easier than when you have to use a standard wall-mountable heater.
The good news is that the Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove has been made to be easily moved around the house. Therefore, you can achieve a greater level of efficiency when using it as a secondary source of heat. But it’s one of the best electric fireplaces for large rooms up to 1000 square feet.
The patented flame technology used in the fireplace is complemented by a unique 3D design. You can conveniently place the heater at strategic locations in the living rooms because the visually appealing hearth is visible from all directions.
This heater is not short of basic and advanced control features. You can adjust the color, brightness, and even dancing speed of the flames to your liking. More so, the digital thermometer is useful for ensuring that the heater functions when it is needed most.
- Inbuilt safety features, including cool-to-touch and overheat protection
- Easy control of performance using an adjustable digital thermometer
- Highly portable for effective zonal heating and efficient utilization of power
- The heater is unsuitable for use in large spaces
7. Ameriwood Home Bruxton Electric Fireplace
- The Bruxton Fireplace will bring your 400 sq ft room up to the perfect temperature with its powerful heating element
- The LED technology not only provides you with a maintenance free fireplace but also offers the fireplace glow with or without the heat
- Dimensions: 22 3/4"h x 22 13/16"w x 7 5/16"d - Firebox insert dimensions: 18”h x 18"w
- Finished in a warm cherry woodgrain and black metal firebox insert, this fireplace will look stunning with your current décor.Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners
- Ships fully assembled and constructed of particleboard, MDF and a metal firebox insert to give you the best bang for your buck
Several features make the Ameriwood Home Bruxton Electric Fireplace stand out from many other brands with similar heating capacity and installation options. Its design is unique because the cherry wood finish and black metal firebox enhance the brightness of the flame on the hearth.
Besides, the LED lights are strong enough to provide the required brightness when the electric fireplace is operating. Therefore, you can utilize these design features to improve your interior décor.
This electric fireplace has standard inbuilt safety features, including automatically switching off to prevent overheating and a cool-to-touch feature. When using it, you do not have to worry about kids and pets touching the surface.
Besides, you can program it to switch off after some hours. However, it is advisable to always switch off your electric fireplace when going to sleep or even when leaving a room for long.
- Easy installation because the fireplace is fully assembled
- Inbuilt safety features to prevent overheating and the surface getting too hot to be touched
- Stunning design featuring a cherry finish for the ultimate look when mounted on the wall
- The electric heater is not suitable for use in very large spaces that exceed 400 square feet
Are Electric Fireplaces Worth It?
Here are a few reasons for owning an electric fireplace for use at home.
- Efficiency: Electric fireplaces are more efficient in warming spaces than other alternatives like traditional fireplaces. Electric fireplaces project the heat horizontally while traditional heating places direct the produced heat vertically. Therefore, electric fireplaces are more efficient than others in heating spaces.
- Easy maintenance: It does not require a lot of attention to keep an electric fireplace in good working condition. Most of the brands only require occasional cleaning for them to remain fully functional. If you have a traditional fireplace, then it will be necessary to clean it and remove ashes. Thus, it is easier to maintain an electric fireplace than other common sources of heating.
- Durability: Electric fireplaces deliver greater value for money than other alternatives, such as gas-burning fireplaces. Because electric fireplaces do not operate using the conventional combustion method, they tend to get faulty less often than heaters that burn hydrocarbons. Thus, you are likely to get real value for your money if you choose to install an electric fireplace in your home.
- Easy installation: Installing electric fireplaces is a straightforward process. The devices are usually packaged with all the things that you need to get them up and running within the shortest time possible. You do not have to think about venting and related connections as it is the case with other types of ceiling-mountable heaters. Often, you can successfully have an electric fireplace installed in your home without requiring the services of a certified professional.
- Customization: Although electric heaters have controls for adjusting temperatures, electric fireplaces have additional control features. You can adjust the brightness and color of the flame of an electric fireplace, in addition to the normal temperature and timing settings. This setting can be very useful in customizing not only the performance but also the appearance of your fireplace. When well-utilized, it can enhance the overall appearance of your house.
- Enhanced safety: Electric fireplaces are safer than many other alternatives, including baseboard heaters. Baseboard heaters and standalone electric heaters are easily reachable to children and pets. However, electric fireplaces are out of reach of pets and kids because they are mounted on the wall. This is an additional safety measure that complements the cool-to-touch feature which is found in many electric heaters.
- Reduced heating costs: Electric fireplaces are ideal for use as supplemental sources of heating at home. When used with your primary heating system, they tend to reduce overall heating expenses. You can switch them on and off whenever there is a need for doing so. Besides, it is easy to control their temperature and performance and ensure that they heat only the rooms where supplemental heat is needed. Using this approach helps to avoid unnecessary wastage of electric energy.
How Much Electricity Do Electric Fireplaces Use?
To determine the average cost of using an electric fireplace, you need to consider the rate of power consumption, how long the heater is in use, and the average cost of electric power.
Furthermore, electric fireplaces vary widely in terms of their rate of power consumption and general performance. By using the settings, you can alter the performance of your heater.
Such changes ultimately change the amount of power that the heater consumes when it is working. However, for the sake of demonstrating the amount of energy that an electric heater utilizes and the overall cost of maintaining one, it is necessary to work with a few assumptions.
A standard electric fireplace consumes 1,500w of power when operating optimally. Some heaters have larger capacities than the standard 1,500w. Such heaters are used to provide warmth in large indoor spaces. Furthermore, electric heaters usually have settings that you can use to change their mode of heating.
Because electric heaters are used for zonal and supplemental heating in homes, they do not run the whole day and night. To calculate the total energy consumption rates, it can be assumed that the electric fireplace runs for 3 hours every day.
The average charge of power per hour (also known as kWh) is 12 cents. If your electric heater operates optimally, then it will cost you about 12 cents for every hour. This means that at the end of the month, you will have to pay about $11.
This estimate takes into account a few inevitable variations. The performance of the electric heater varies every day as people adjust the temperature, flame brightness, and other settings. Moreover, you may have to use electric fireplaces for longer hours some days than others.
The length of time in which the heater is on depends on the heating requirements of the room in which the heater is installed. This need usually changes with the seasons and other micro-factors such as whether the windows are open.
Is it OK to Leave an Electric Fireplace On Overnight?
The straight answer to the question is that you should not leave your electric fireplace overnight. Some people argue that there is no harm in leaving electric fireplaces operating the whole night because the devices have inbuilt thermostats. Thus, electric heaters automatically go off when they reach certain temperature levels.
Although it is true that electric fireplaces automatically go off before they overheat, this is not a reason to leave your electric fireplace on for the whole night. Like any other electric device, your electric fireplace poses several dangers when it is left unattended for a long time.
The surfaces of electric fireplaces get quite warm when the heaters operate for a long time. If highly combustible materials such as fabrics, papers, and plastics get in touch with your electric fireplace, they may catch fire.
When you leave your electric fireplace on for the whole night, then you run the risk of experiencing a fire accident at home if a combustible material gets in touch with the heater when you are deep asleep.
Additionally, leaving your electric fireplace on the whole night is likely to translate into high heating costs. The devices are designed to be used as secondary sources of heat at home. They are also supposed to be used for warming the air in specific places in the home whenever there is a need for doing so.
If you leave them on for a long time, then the overall cost of running them is likely to rise rapidly. If you are conscious of your monthly utility bills, then it may not be a good idea to leave your electric fireplace on for the whole night.
Lastly, all manufacturers of electric fireplaces recommend that you do not let the devices run for a long time without someone being around the place. It is always recommended that you switch off your electric fireplace when you go to sleep or leave the room for long.
The beauty of electric fireplaces is how they add a cozy look to your room and how easy they are to use. Also, since there’s no wood to burn, you won’t have to worry about fumes or matches to light the heater.
Remember, all fireplace manufacturers make a lot of promises, but you have to make sure your preferred unit has the energy-saving features you need. Some will be more energy efficient than others, so decide on the important features to you before selecting a fireplace for your home.
I hope you were able to find the most energy efficient electric fireplace for your home, and you’ll not have to die in the cold this coming winter.