To keep your home warm, you’ll need a supplemental heating system, especially if your central heat doesn’t do a great job. One of the best alternatives to invest in is space heaters.
The most energy efficient portable heater will provide supplemental heating will increasing your energy bills. These types of space heaters are either energy star rated or have energy-saving features.
Electric space heaters come in various shapes and sizes, priced differently, and use different fuels. Some can use electricity while others can use propane, natural gas, or kerosene.
In this portable heater review, I’ve included different types of energy efficient portable heaters to help you beat the cold in winter.
Are Space Heaters More Efficient Than Central Heating?
Whether you need to heat your home constantly or occasionally, efficiency is important. Using the most energy-efficient portable heater will help to reduce your energy expenses. There are primarily two ways of heating a home: using a central heating system or a standalone space heater.
Whether you use a space heater as a source of secondary or primary heat in the home, you may have to consider whether doing any of this is more efficient than using a central heating system.
The answer to the question of whether space heaters are more efficient than central heating systems varies with the conditions on hand. If you would like to heat a small room in your home, then it would be wise to use a space heater and not the central heating system.
A space heater is more efficient than a central heating system when you need to heat small spaces because it has been designed for such tasks. Your central heating system, which is part of the HVAC network in the house, has been made to provide heating in multiple rooms. Therefore, if you would like to heat one room, like the living room or bedroom, then it is better to use a space heater. This will ensure efficient utilization of energy for heating.
Furthermore, space heaters may be more efficient than central heating systems because one can easily control them. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and technical features. Moreover, the level of efficiency of space heaters varies with brands and sizes.
When using a space heater, you can conveniently adjust its performance to ensure efficient utilization of energy for heating. For many heaters, it is possible to change the heating capacity and other attributes of the devices. Such changes can have a far-reaching impact on the level of efficiency of the heater. Such a level of customization is not found in central heating systems.
However, central heating systems are more efficient than space heaters when compare the two using energy per heat output. Because space heaters have been designed to provide heat in entire houses, they are more effective than space heaters. It would be inefficient and impractical to purchase and use multiple space heaters in all the rooms in a home.
Therefore, if you need to heat the entire house, always use the central heating system. However, if you intend to heat a few rooms one at a time, then go for space heaters.
How to Select the Best Portable Heater Energy Efficient
Selecting the best portable heater energy efficient will minimize your heating expenses. However, getting the right heater is difficult because of the large number of brands with different features that are currently available on the market.
Primarily, you need to look out for heaters that have appropriate features. Here are a few things that you should bear in mind to select an energy-efficient space heater.
- The auto or eco mode. Heaters that have this mode are more efficient than those which lack it. The auto or eco mode helps heaters to maintain the temperature according to the heating requirements of a room at any given time. Go for space heaters that have this feature to avoid wasting money on unnecessary heating.
- Multiple heat settings. Although many heaters have low and high heat settings, some have an additional medium heating setting. Space heaters with three settings can be used to warm houses more efficiently than those with only two settings. You can use the three settings to adjust the performance of the heater according to the changing needs of your home and personal preferences.
- Programmable thermostat. The function of a programmable thermostat in a space heater is to maintain the temperature within a specified range. When the temperature falls below the selected value, the thermostat automatically triggers the heater to continue working. The heater then stops heating the air when the ideal temperature is reached. This cycle continues as long as the heater is operating.
- Programmable timers. Programmable timers help you to determine the period during which heaters operate. You can schedule your heater to automatically switch off after a few hours when you are out of the room. It is easy to use a programmable timer to schedule the automatic switching off of a heater when you are going to bed. Thus, the programmable timer helps to prevent wastage of energy for unnecessary heating.
How to Use Space Heaters Efficiently
You can have low energy heating costs by choosing the right kind of heater and using it efficiently. Here are a few tips to help you minimize the total energy heating costs when using space heaters at home.
Use your Portable Heater Only when It’s necessary
Space heaters are designed to heat small areas of the house. Moreover, they have various control features that you can use to determine how they work. To ensure that you achieve efficiency when heating the home, only use your heater when it is needed. You can warm the living room or sitting room when there is a need for doing so. Avoid warming areas of the house that are not occupied by people regularly, including the basement.
Remember to switch off your heater when you get outside the room. Doing this will help you avoid wasting electric energy heating a room that is not occupied. Similarly, remember to switch off the heater during the night when you go to bed. Although heaters have great safety features, it is always recommended that you switch them off during the night when you go to bed. Doing so helps to prevent the occurrence of accidents and minimizes the use of electric energy for heating the home.
Consider Heaters with Inbuilt Thermostats and Timers
It is easier to efficiently heat your home when using heaters that have inbuilt thermostats and timers than those which do not have these features.
- Thermostats help to regulate the temperature of the heater by reading ambient temperature changes and adjusting the heating performance of your device accordingly.
- Timers can be used to set the maximum period during which a heater should be on.
If your heater has these features, ensure that you use them to your advantage. Digital thermostats are quite accurate in reading the ambient temperature. Use them to prevent your heater from generating unnecessary heat. Also, use the timer to ensure that the heater does not operate when no one needs it to be on.
Use the Heater as a Secondary Source of Heat
A space heater is made to be used to supplement the central heating system. The heater serves as a portable, and effective source of additional heat in rooms and other spaces at home. Typically, heaters are either moved around or installed in rooms that are mostly occupied, including bedrooms and living rooms.
When using your space heater as a secondary source of heat in the home, ensure that you switch it on or off when it is necessary. This may be during particularly cold periods of the year or the day.
Take Advantage of the Heating Method Used by your Heater
Heaters use either the radiant or convection methods of heating. Radiant heaters are effective in quickly warming rooms because they pass infrared radiation to animate and inanimate objects in rooms. Thus, they can be used in small spaces that are fully packed to rapidly create and maintain a cozy environment.
Convection heaters usually have fans that are used to distribute the heated air across large spaces. Utilize their mode of operation to effectively heat large spaces without losing track of your heating expenses.
Portable heaters are great alternatives if your central heating system has failed in heating the whole house. They’re also great options for outdoors and winter camping.
However, space heaters can also be expensive if misused, so you need to consider only the most energy efficient portable heater.
One important thing to consider is that space heaters should not be your main heating source. They’re only to supplement your primary heat source. That’s the only way you can save heating bills and continue enjoying the warmth during the cold winter.
What Is The Most Energy Efficient Portable Heater 2021
1. De’Longhi Convection Panel Heater
- Full Room Warmth: Packs 1500 watts of heating power for full room comfort
- Sleek Look: Whether set on the floor or mounted to the wall, Slim Style by De'Longhi is the most beautiful way to stay warm
- Instant Warmth: Dual Fan System fills room with heat quickly
- Convenient Wall Mount: Safe and easy to mount on any wall with included kit
- Personalized Comfort: Customize to your heating needs with the adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings
- Stay Cozy and Save Energy: Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
- 1500 Watts of power in a stylish thinner design (only 3") to take the quickly take the chill out of larger rooms
- Freestanding or wall mounted use (all hardware included)
- Unique Two Fan System Provides better, faster heat distribution into the room
- Digital controls Adjustable thermostat, Timer and multiple heat settings with LED display. For rooms up to 300 square feet
The De’Longhi Convection Panel Heater has been perfectly designed for the efficient heating of rooms in the home. It has several features that you can use to minimize the amount of energy that you use for heating your home.
The adjustable thermostat accurately reads the ambient temperature and adjusts the temperatures of the heater accordingly. This helps you control the panel heater and maintain a cozy environment.
Whether you would like to have a wall-mounted or standalone heater, the De’Longhi Convection Panel Heater is perfectly made for both. It comes with all the hardware that you need to mount it on the wall or keep it standing on the floor at a strategic position.
Furthermore, the modern look and sleek design of the heater can be used to enhance the appearance of your home. Its white finish blends perfectly with traditional and modern décor styles.
However, this heater has one main flaw: its surface becomes hot after the heater has been in use for a long time. This is important particularly when you use the heater in the standalone mode at home.
- Great convenience because it can be used either as a standalone or wall-mountable heater
- The heater has features to enhance efficiency, including eco-energy saving mode
- Great sleek, and compact design with a white finish
- The surface of the heater becomes quite warm
2. DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater
- DURABLE & MAINTENANCE-FREE: Patented, high-quality steel assembly and the permanently-sealed oil reservoir never needs refilling
- RADIANT HEAT: 1500 watts of heating power for quiet, full room comfort
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Customize to your heating needs with an adjustable thermostat and 3 heat settings
- PATENTED THERMAL SLOTS: Unique thermal slot design maximizes heat flow into the room while maintaining a low surface temperature
- PEACE OF MIND: Features a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
If you are looking for a highly portable, efficient, and reliable oil heater for large room then the DeLonghi TRD40615E may be the right choice for you. With its high-quality four wheels, a slim build, and a small footprint, the heater is very portable. You can ideally use it as a source of supplemental heat in the home.
You can take advantage of the portability of the heater to minimize your heating costs. Be effectively moving the heater to places where heating is needed most, you can achieve efficient heating of the entire house.
The performance of this heater is notable. It has patented thermal slots that have been uniquely designed to maximize the flow of heat. Thus, the radiant heating of the DeLonghi TRD40615E rapidly heats objects in rooms to create a very comfortable environment.
Despite its portability, performance, and great design, this heater has one drawback: it can easily get knocked to the ground. This flow can be significant if you repeatedly move the heater across the rooms.
Luckily, it has an automatic shutoff mechanism that gets activated when the heater falls. This feature prevents the occurrence of accidents when the heater is knocked.
- The heater’s radiant heating method quickly warms up indoor spaces
- It has great control features, including three heating settings
- The heater has inbuilt safety features
- It can be easily get knocked to the ground
3. Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Space Heater
One of the most notable features of the Lasko 751320 heater is the oscillation of the heating element. The oscillation of the ceramic heating element enhances the heating capabilities of the device.
As the element moves from one end to another, it ensures even distribution of heat across the room. Thus, you will not experience cold spots in your living room if you install this heater.
Furthermore, the Lasko 751320 has several advanced control features, including remote control. You can use the remote control to adjust the performance of the heater conveniently for a personalized experience.
However, this ceramic heater for large room can be used to heat areas that do not exceed 300 square feet. If you have a large living room, then it is advisable to get a heater with a greater heating capacity than the Lasko 751320. Moving the heater from the end of the room to another is not an efficient way of heating spaces.
- Elegant tower design can be used to enhance the look of your interiors
- Effective heating because of the oscillating ceramic heating element
- It can be remotely controlled for convenience and personalized use
- It is unsuitable for use in large indoor spaces
4. Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large room.
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and lifetme filter
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts.Electric Cord 72 inch long
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power source type: Corded Electric
Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater has several features that enhance its performance. Notably, it features the use of an advanced Positive Temperature Coefficient heating system.
The PTC system, as it is commonly referred to, entails the use of highly conductive inks on special materials. This is different from conventional heating systems that make use of coils and wires that are found in many heaters.
The combination of an infrared quartz tube and the PTC enhances the effectiveness of the heater. You can rely on it to rapidly warm up fairly large indoor spaces such as standard living rooms and bedrooms.
You will enjoy the great portability of this heater, thanks to the quality of the four caster wheels. To achieve efficiency when heating the home, it may be necessary to move your heater repeatedly. The four wheels of this heater are up to the task and provide the required support.
Sadly, the blower of this heater, which is used to ensure even distribution of heat, is quite loud. The loudness may be an issue if you intend to use the heater in the bedroom.
- The eco-energy mode is effective in saving heating energy
- Great portability because of the highly durable caster wheels
- It provides full room heating through the combination of an infrared quartz tube and PTC
- The blower is slightly noisy
5. Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater
- (Wall Mounted Heater Only.) Wi-Fi enabled makes it possible for you to control the temperature from your phone!
- Safe to the touch grill. 1500 watts of power
- Space saving wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- When installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord inside the heater. This unit stays cool to the touch and the wall stays cool.
- Safe to the touch grill. Wall mounted version, Feet not included.
- Voltage: 110 Volts
The Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater utilizes an innovative system to provide soft and comfortable heat in small spaces that measure up to 150 square feet.
It is ideal for heating small offices, bedrooms, and other standard spaces at home. Thanks to the special heating technology, the heater maintains the humidity and oxygen levels in the room.
Whether you would like to have a wall-mounted or standalone heater, the Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater can be a perfect choice.
It has all the hardware for quick mounting on walls in the house. Besides, the small legs can be quickly attached and removed whenever you would like to have a standalone space heater in your home.
This heater is EL-certified for safety and efficiency. It has several inbuilt safety features, including automatic shutoff to prevent overheating. The features help to prevent the occurrence of accidents when the heater is in use.
- The heater provides comfortable heating in small spaces by using a patented Heat Storm technology
- It is EL-certified for safety and efficiency
- It comes with removable feet and wall-mounting hardware
- The grill and surface of the heater get hot
6. Mr. Heater F274800 MH18B Portable Propane Heater
- 4,000- to 18,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 450 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off. Maximum Hours Of Operation- 220.0
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
- Low, medium and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures; connects to propane tank (not included). Note- Due to recent governmental changes to import tariffs, Mr. Heater has removed the fan on some models of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy (MH18B).
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
With a high heating capacity, amazingly long runtimes, and great portability, the F274800 MH18B is one of the best propane heaters for garage and outdoors.
It’s heating capacity ranges from 4,000 BTUs to 18,000 BTUs and can be enough to heat spaces that are 450 square feet large. Besides, this heater is nearly 100% efficient in converting propane to heat energy. This helps keep your heating costs down.
It has an ideally- positioned knob for adjusting the temperature. You can use it to switch across three heating settings: low, medium, and high. This gives you great control and the ability to personalize the performance of the heater according to your heating needs.
The heater comes with advanced inbuilt safety features, including a low oxygen sensor and automatic shutoff system. When used in areas with low oxygen levels, the heater automatically stops to prevent the production of the highly-poisonous carbon monoxide gas.
However, some models of this heater are not sold with a fan. Using a fan for this heater would be desirable particularly when you need to warm large outdoor spaces such as garages. However, if all that you need is a powerful propane burning heater for normal use, then this may be the right one even without a fan.
- Ideal for heating large indoor and outdoor spaces
- Highly portable because of the well-positioned handle and small body size
- The fan is not included