If you’re not sure of what translates to an actual noise, try having a conversation close to a portable generator or a packed restaurant.
Thankfully, the invention of the quietest dual hose portable air conditioners has reduced noise to a distant memory, so you can freely enjoy your conversations. A portable air conditioner offers users efficient on-demand cooling for any indoor space.
Most homeowners with central air conditioning may be used to the loud hum of an AC unit. But since the unit is placed outside, it doesn’t really matter if it is pretty loud.
Conversely, with portable air conditioners, the unit is entirely inside your home for your comfort. Most portable air conditioners generate noise that falls between 60 and 70dB, offer effective cooling, and are reasonably priced, especially useful for those with a tight budget.
Below are the top models from recognized brands that make the least noise and trusted to keep your home cool and comfortable.
Sizing a Portable Air Conditioner
The right-sized dual hose air conditioner ensures that your room is cool as it brings out the correct ambiance. Choosing an oversized unit does not remove all the moist air, while an undersized unit won’t adequately cool the room.
To get the right size of an air conditioner, you must first calculate the room area. Afterward, you’ll confirm if it resonates with the air conditioner’s British Thermal Units (BTU).
The higher the BTU ratings, the larger the room it can cool. BTU unit is measured by the amount of heat an AC can remove from an environment.
For instance, if your room is about 200 square feet in area, you’ll go for an 8,000 BTUs air conditioner. However, if your room is exposed to direct sunlight, or you need to place the AC in the kitchen, or the rooms that accommodate more than two people, then you’ll have to go for a higher ratings air conditioner.
Remember, to achieve efficient cooling operation; you must get the size right
Single Hose or Dual Hose
If you didn’t know, have it at the back of your mind that there are two different hose configurations for air conditioners-single hose and dual hose.
A single-hose AC removes the warm air from the room by channeling it to the coils. The warm air and moisture are passed to the hose, which takes them outdoors.
The process creates a negative pressure as air is continuously driven out of the room. The pressure gap forces the hot air to find itself inside the room through cracks in doors and windows.
A single-hose AC is appropriate for a smaller room as it has to work extra hard to cool a large room. Contrariwise, they operate quieter than a dual hose AC with the same BTU ratings.
A dual-hose air conditioner has a couple of intakes but only one outtake. The intake point takes in the hot air, which is then cooled before driving it out. It also drives in cool air from outside to cool down the AC system. The purpose of the second hose is to drive the heated air outside the room.
The dual nature of the intake and outtake eliminates negative pressure and allows the AC to operate smoothly, making it the better option. Besides, it cools the room 40% faster than the single hose AC.
On the contrary, dual hose ACs use internal fans/ condenser for cooling, making them operate loudly. They are also less portable and more expensive.
Most portable ACs do not require a drainage system since they incorporate a self-evaporating system. The system recycles the condensed water back into the air.
It is viable in areas with low humidity; otherwise, you’ll have to dump excess water if the area experiences high humidity. The process requires you to manually empty the tank and release water if you see the light indicating that it is full.
The portable units include a condensate pump that directs water into the tank and passes it outside through the hose. It depends on the AC you choose as some require extra installation to remove the water.
However, some operate automatically, thereby making the work easier. The manual draining system requires you to frequently empty the tank after two to six hours, depending on the room’s humidity.
Energy Efficiency Ratio(EER)
Energy Efficient Ratio, customarily abbreviated as EER, is the unit used to measure how efficient an AC is in terms of saving energy. Ensure your AC has a higher EER (more than 10) as it will save you the extra costs of paying energy bills.
Note that portable air conditioners get hot faster, but they are usually indoors, making the system work extra hard to push the hot air through the exhaust hose.
Portable units also radiate heat inside the room they are located; therefore, they must work extremely hard to cool the room. Get a unit that is energy star certified to get classy efficiency.
Additional features you can check on are remote control, heat/ AC combo, dehumidifier, and programmable thermostat.
Quietest Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
1. Honeywell HL09CESWK Portable Air Conditioner
- Included Components: Air Conditioner, Remote control, Flexible exhaust hose, Full set window kit for quick & easy installation, Manual, Warranty.
- Product dimensions: 18.9" X 15.7" X 31.3" | window bracket width: Min. 26.6" or 33.1" to 49.6" | exhaust hose length: 10.6" to 59"
- 9000 btu (ashrae-128 standard)/5000 btu (doe+ 2017 standard).
- Cools rooms up to 300 - 400 sq. ft. (Temperature range 61°F to 89°F). Dehumidification capacity up to 80 pints per 24 hours.
- Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling.
- Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance.
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer.
- Voltage: 115 | Wattage: 1050
Built to last, Honeywell HL09CESWK Portable Air Conditioner is indeed a definite list-topper. It’s stylish, powerful, and offers dependable performance. It enlists thermal overload protection for added safety, while its automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute cool air for fast and consistent cooling.
It’s equipped with dual filters specifically designed to protect it from dust or hair for extended product life and performance. The filters easily clean under the faucet for effortless maintenance. It’s also designed for comfort with three fan speeds, digital controls, remote control, sleep mode, and a 24-hour energy-saving timer.
Honeywell HL09CESWK also boasts a built-in dehumidifier that removes up to 80 pints/24 hours with a continuous drain option for long and stress-free auto evaporation.
Its clear digital and full-function remote control with a digital display makes it easy to change settings from across the room. It features dual drainage options for maximum flexibility and backed up with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Excellent dehumidification capacity
- Dual filtration system
- Super quiet
- Powerful enough
- Cools rooms quickly
- Simple to setup
- Works great
- The warranty is pretty short for most users
2.Whynter 8,000 BTU Eco-Friendly Portable Air Conditioner
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, fan or dehumidifier
- Self-evaporative system - exhausts most or all condensate under average ambient conditions
- CFC free r-410a refrigerant, lead free rohs compliant components
- Remote control with full functionality. Coverage Sq. Ft - 250 q. ft
- Upgraded Plastic window kit included. Max. window kit length = 48" , Min. window kit length = 26.5"
- Air Flow (at high speed): 270m3/h /159CFM
The Whynter 8,000 BTU Eco-Friendly Portable Air Conditioner is a highly reputable brand with lots of positive reviews.
With up to 8,000 BTU power, this product is ideal for lowering temperatures in small offices, bedrooms, or personal spaces. Its incredibly compact design makes it the perfect cooling solution for areas with limited floor space.
It features a washable pre-filter that removes large particles like pet hair or dust and an activated carbon filter designed to neutralize smoke or odor. Its dry mode function enables it to be used as a room dehumidifier if needed. It can cool down rooms as large as 250 square feet, making it an efficient portable air conditioner.
This product has been made with a lot of focus on being both energy-efficient and cost-effective, which is an enormous plus for those searching for a portable air conditioner.
It has three operational modes that can cover a wider area and feature a remote control with full functionality for maximum convenience. Its other additional features include 2-way directional air louvers and a digital thermostat.
- Hassle-free operation
- Easy to setup
- Works great
- It’s small and portable
- Fairly priced
- Very straightforward instructions
- The hose looks short and a bit flimsy
3.De’Longhi PACN285GN 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
- MULTI-FUNCTION FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT: This powerful 3-in-1 unit features cooling, dehumidifying and a fan, cooling rooms up to 550 sq. ft.
- PORTABLE COMFORT AND EASY SET UP: Sets up in minutes with no tools required. Built-in caster wheels and integrated handles allow you to move it easily from room to room (unlike window units)
- LOWER ENERGY BILLS: By cooling only the room you’re in, you can raise your thermostat and lower your energy bills right from the start
- NO DRIPS, NO LEAKS: No-drip technology automatically recycles condensation within the unit, helping to prevent any type of leaks. (Draining may be required in highly humid climates)
- FULL FUNCTION REMOTE: Comes with a full-function remote, featuring an LCD display to control all of its settings, including the adjustable thermostat, 3 fan speeds, mode selection and a 12-hour on/off timer
If you reside in areas with moderate climate where searing hot days are rare, the De’Longhi PACN285GN 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner should be your best-valued pick.
This multi-functional unit can cool and dehumidify rooms up to 550 sq. ft. It sets up in fractions of seconds with no tools required and enlists built-in caster wheels and integrated handles for quick and easy movement from room to room.
De’Longhi PACN285GN boasts no-drip technology that automatically recycles condensation within the unit, preventing any type of leaks. It comes equipped with a full-function remote with an LCD to control all of its settings. It’s also designed to cool only the room you’re in, thereby lowering your energy bills right from the start.
It prioritizes quiet operation and enlists electronic controls, a 12-hour on/off timer, three fan speeds, and an adjustable thermostat for added flexibility. Since it’s quick and effortless to set it up, this unit offers quiet operation and peaceful cooling!
- No drips or leaks
- Quiet comfort
- Energy efficient
- Simple to setup
- Works flawlessly
- Excellent features
- Quite pricey
4.Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 5,000 BTU (8,000 BTU ASHRAE) compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. An adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°F at the coolest setting. Sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 150 sq. ft. It’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- SIMPLE & QUICK TO INSTALL – Just wheel this portable air conditioner into any room with a double hung or sliding window. Attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! At the end of the season, just unhook & store. Top mounted control panel with LED display
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN – The simple remote control & top-mounted LED display with 24-hour timer allow you to precisely control the air temperature. To clean the filter, just slide it out twice a month, rinse it thoroughly under running water, & put it back
- 3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Combines 3 energy efficient functions for all of your cooling & ventilation needs with cool, fan, & dehumidifying modes all in one machine. Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry
The Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner is another compact, portable unit that you can set up even in the tightest of spaces for maximum comfort.
It removes humid, warm air and replaces it with the cool, refreshing air you need for a comfortable environment. It provides steady, fast, and effective cooling for rooms up to150 sq. ft, making it an ideal solution for cabins, living rooms, offices, or apartments.
Its adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°F at the most relaxed setting. It enlists sleep mode function that makes it extra quiet while you rest.
It also features a simple remote control and top-mounted LED display with a 24-hour timer for precise control of the air temperature from across the room. Using a double-hung or sliding window, you can easily wheel this potable unit into any room.
The Black + Decker BPACT08WT 3-in-1 functionality combines three energy-efficient functions for all of your cooling & ventilation needs with cool, fan, & dehumidifying modes all in one machine. Its Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean, and dry.
Its dehumidifying function also prevents bacteria’s growth, keeps air both dry and cool, and significantly reduces humidity in your room. It’s precisely what you need in a portable AC.
- Small and portable
- Saves energy
- Convenient cooling
- Easy to set up and use
- Works great
- Easy to clean
- Not entirely the most durable
5.Whynter Elite ARC-122DS Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- 12,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 7,000 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Three operational modes: air conditioner, fan or dehumidifier. This unit can cool up to a 400 square feet space (ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance)
- Full installation set includes extendable exhaust and intake hose (up to 60") and window kit: 6.5" W x 20" (min)/ 46" (max) L
- AWARD WINNING : 1. Good Housekeeping's "Best Portable Air Conditioners to Buy in 2019" 2. The New York Times Wirecutter named "the most efficient and fastest cooling portable AC"
- Full thermostatic control (61°F - 89°F) with digital readout, 24 hour programmable timer; Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-32 refrigerant; Patented auto drain function fully exhausts all condensate automatically in most environments
The Whynter Elite ARC-122DS 12,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner is a powerful, compact unit that offers a more breathable space for you and your family.
Its compact size and dual-hose system facilitate better space utilization while providing efficient cooling. It’s an excellent cooling solution for the warm spots in your office, home, or other constrained areas.
It’s portable, simple to assemble, and offers cooling relief for any area where excess heat and humidity can never be remedied by traditional air conditioning. It boasts three operational modes and can cool rooms up to 400 square feet. Whynter Elite has an EER of 12, which is much better than its counterparts with 10-11 EER.
It comes fully equipped with the Whynter-patented manual and continuous auto-drain technology, so you don’t have to worry about frequent emptying.
Its other additional features include full thermostat control with digital readout, Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-32 refrigerant, 24-hour programmable timer, and a Patented auto drain function that fully exhausts all condensate in most environments.
- Excellent features
- Works great
- Simple to clean and use
- Improve air quality
- Ensures hassle-free operation
- Quite costly
If you’ve managed to reach this point, we hope you have all the valid data you need to make a wiser decision when buying your quietest dual hose portable air conditioner. We are confident that our list encompasses units that will give you value for money and many years of service. Please keep us in check by commenting on the resource box below.