What is UL Listing, and Why is it Important?
UL listing is a system of testing and approving consumer products for general safety. The letters ‘UL’ stand for Underwriters Laboratories. Underwriters Laboratories is a not-for-profit organization whose sole mission is to test and approve chemical, mechanical, and electrical products. The organization uses nationally-recognized standards to determine the level of risks of fire and other hazards. Products that carry the small logo have been tested and found to be safe for use by consumers.
Underwriters Laboratories started back in 1894 as Underwriters Electrical Bureau in Chicago. Currently, the organization operates in more than 70 countries and tests more than 18,000 different consumer product categories.
UL listing is essential because of several reasons. First, the UL is a not-for-profit organization. As such, it does not have any commercial interest in the companies that make the tested products. Any product that carries the UL logo has been subjected to independent tests and safe for use.
Second, UL uses a comprehensive and rigorous program to ensure that companies maintain safety standards in all the products they manufacture and market. The organization conducts random visits to companies to check the production process and test other products. This approach helps prevent companies from ending up producing substandard products later after getting a few of their products approved by UL.
Is UL Listed the Same as UL Approved?
When a product has the UL listing mark, it means that the product has been subjected to comprehensive tests and safe for use. The UL listing mark on products is an assurance that the product is unlikely to cause fires and related accidents when in use.
The UL recommended mark is used for products that are supposed to be used as components. If you buy an item that is UL approved, it means that you can use it as part of a system with the assurance that the component will not cause fires or related accidents.
For products to get the UL listing or UL approved mark, they are usually tested against national and international standards. Therefore, the UL listing or UL recommended mark is more stringent than the UL approved one.
Safety Features to Look for When Choosing a Space Heater
Heating equipment, including space heaters, pose a significant level of danger in homes. If a heating device is poorly handled, it can cause home fires or burns. It would help if you were careful when purchasing and using heating equipment.
Heating equipment comes with different safety features. Here are a few things that you should look out for when purchasing a UL listed space heater for home use.
Although modern space heaters have programmable timers and inbuilt thermostats, you need additional features to protect you against overheating. A heater can easily overheat and cause considerable damages in the home. Luckily, many space heaters have a safety fuse that prevents overheating. When the heater’s temperature rises rapidly to risky levels, the overheat protective fuse breaks, thus cutting the power supply. Always go for space heaters that have this safety feature.
Ceramic Heating Element
A ceramic heating element is safer than traditional ones that usually glow red ad are enclosed in metal casings. The safest space heaters have ceramic heating elements combined with a fan. The combination of a ceramic heating element and a fan ensures effective and even distribution of heat in large indoor spaces. Additionally, the ceramic heating element is less likely to cause fire accidents and burns than traditional ones.
Space heaters can easily cause fires if they fall, and their heating element gets into contact with any combustible material near it. Heaters can fall if people or even pets accidentally knock them. The tip-over protection feature prevents this type of accident from occurring. A heater that has this feature automatically switches off it falls. This simple maneuver ensures that you are safe even if your heater falls accidentally.
Cool-To-Touch Exterior Body
Choose heaters that are designed to be cool even when they work for a long time. For heaters that have the cool-to-touch feature, the surface temperature remains within safe levels. If a heater’s casing is not designed to remain cool, then touching it can cause burns. Because space heaters are mostly placed on the floor, you should be mindful of kids and pets. It is better to choose a heater that has a cool-to-touch housing than one whose casing heats up.
Space Heater Safety Tips
In addition to choosing space heaters with advanced safety features, follow the following tips to ensure these devices’ safe use in your home.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. All space heaters come with detailed instructions on how you can use them safely. Read and understand all the instructions, warnings, and guidelines provided by the manufacturers.
- Switch off the space heater when you leave the room. Although space heaters have inbuilt safety features, it is not safe to leave them unattended. Anything can go wrong when no one is watching. Switch off your space heater even if you are leaving the room for a few hours only.
- Use your space heater for supplemental heating only. Do not try to use the heater for any other purpose apart from providing supplemental heating.
- Install smoke detectors. Smoke detectors trigger an alarm to sound in case there is smoke in the house. These devices can help you react quickly if your heater gets into contact with combustible material in the house.
- Plug your space heater directly to the wall socket. Heaters have specific wattage and amperage values that they need to operate properly. Heaters can blow extension cords because the cords do not supply the required wattage and amperage values. Unless you have the right extension cord, ensure that you plug the heater directly to the wall socket.
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater has all the great features you would expect to find in a space heater with the UL listing mark.
It has a tip-over fuse, and an overheat protection feature. You do not have to worry about the heater overheating because it will automatically go off before things deteriorate.
You can adjust the heating performance of this heater to match your preferences and the requirements of your house.
The remote control provides a convenient way of changing all aspects of the operation of this space heater. You can also choose from a wide range of temperature values (50 degrees Fahrenheit to 80 Degrees Fahrenheit).
The only notable drawback of using this heater is that moving it from one place to another is difficult. Apart from being large and heavy, the heater does not have a handle for ease of portability. However, you can use the four wheels to push it around the house.
- It has inbuilt safety features, including overheat protection and tip-over fuse
- The auto energy-saving mode helps to minimize the amount of energy used for heating
- Great controls, including remote control and settings for changing the heating performance
- The heater is bulky and not highly portable
2. QMark CZ2048T Electric Wall Heater
The QMark CZ2048T delivers fast and reliable heating, thanks to its innovative design robust internal components. Its multi-layered impeller ensures even distribution of heat across large spaces. If this heater is on, every corner of your large room will be adequately warmed.
If you leave in a small house, then this may be the right heater for you. It is easily mounted on walls to save space on the ground. You no longer have to think about the heater falling if you get a QMark CZ2048T properly mounted on your home wall.
Installing the QMark CZ2048T is a breeze. The patented clip-n-fit technology makes things easy because you do not have to use unnecessary jumpers when installing the heater.
If you are keen on a space heater that can be easily carried from place to place, then the QMark CZ2048T will not be the right choice.
This heater remains in excellent shape once it is correctly installed on walls in your house. You will have to get a portable standalone heater for supplemental heating of other rooms.
- Fast and even distribution of heat for a cozy indoor environment
- Its compact design and white finish have aesthetic value
- The clip-n-fit design simplifies the installation process
- It cannot be moved from one room to another
3. Stiebel Eltron Electric Radiant Heater
The Stiebel Eltron 234047 is the perfect heating solution for balconies, patios, and other home spaces. It provides an instant and reliable source of heat for large spaces because of its heating technology. The space heater directly warms objects pointed to, thus creating an instant and lasting warm feeling for everyone in the room.
The use of short-wave heating technology minimizes the amount of energy that the heater consumes to produce warmth. You can use it for long hours indoors and still maintain control over the heating bills.
The Stiebel Eltron 234047 operates silently. You do not have to worry about the background noise that some heaters which have inbuilt blowers produce. You can comfortably use this heater even indoors without it causing much distraction.
However, installing the heater may be a tough call if you are not experienced. To ensure that the heater is appropriately hard-wired and that your timer switch functions correctly, please get a certified technician’s services.
- The heater is quite energy-efficient because of the short-wave technology
- Its distinctive white finish and unique design provide aesthetic value
- Ideal for use even in bedrooms because it is quiet
4. DIMPLEX DGWH4031G Garage Space Heater
The DIMPLEX DGWH4031G is designed to be used in large spaces, including garages and workshops.
Its 4,000-watt stainless steel heating element is powerful enough to warm exceptionally drafty spaces such as garages. Moreover, the heater’s forced-air system complements the heating element to ensure that poorly insulated spaces are adequately warmed.
It is very convenient to use this heater for zonal heating. You can use the mounting brackets to have it properly installed on the ceiling or even wall. The heater can then be turned to any direction where a lot of heat is needed.
You can choose from a broad range of temperature: 45 degrees Fahrenheit to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. This heating range is useful if the heating requirements of your workshop or garage keep changing.
The DIMPLEX DGWH4031G is relatively energy-efficient. The fan deliberately takes a few minutes before it starts to run. This delayed-fan mode of operation minimizes the amount of energy used to run the heater.
- Effective heating for drafty spaces because of a powerful heating element
- Easy installation using the mounting bracket
- Ease of operation because of automatic temperature control settings
- The heating-fan element requires a degree of maintenance routine
5. NewAir Electric Oil-Filled Space Heater
The NewAir Electric Oil-Filled Space Heater is an excellent source of supplemental heating in your house because of two reasons: its performance and the level of control.
Unlike convection heaters, this device uses diathermic oil to provide warmth. If you use it indoors, you will experience a comfortable and perpetually warmed environment without any noise
The nature of its control features is worth mentioning. The heater comes with a universal remote control for ultimate convenience.
Similarly, it has three heating settings from which you can choose what suits you at any time. You can adjust its temperature in 5-degree Fahrenheit intervals for an unimaginable level of comfort.
And the heater has all the safety features that you would expect to find in any device that has a UL listing mark. Its surface remains relatively cool. Also, the heater automatically goes off if its temperature rises abnormally or it gets knocked down.
Because this is a standalone heater with a tower design, it can easily fall if knocked. You will have to keep it away from places that people frequently pass. However, you do not have to worry about the possibility of a fire outbreak if the heater falls because it has the tip-over protection fuse.
- Easy to operate using the remote control
- Its performance can be personalized using the timer and thermostat
- Highly portable, thanks to the wheels
- The heater can easily fall when knocked