Although most consumers rarely bother to check, your AC’s voltage rating is just as important as the power (watts) rating and amperage. It’s also just as important as the cooling (and heating) capacity of the air conditioner.
Generally, you get to choose between 110-volt and 220-volt models, though you may find others rated 120-volt, 130-volt, 230-volt, and 240-volt.
This guide discusses the benefits of choosing a 110-volt ductless mini-split system. First, though, let’s round up some excellent options when shopping for a 110-volt ductless mini-split air conditioner.
Why is Voltage So Important in Power Systems?
Voltage is such an important concept because it influences appliance power consumption. Electrical energy is carried through conducting material (such as power lines) by electrons.
The transmission line’s voltage rating indicates how much energy each electron carries as it moves through the power line. Meanwhile, the current rating (in watts) measures the number of electrons that flow through the transmission line (or an electrical appliance) per hour.
When you combine the two – voltage and current – you can determine how much power flows through the system. The majority of household appliances are 110V or 220V.
Are Mini-Splits 110V or 220V?
Mini-splits can be 110 volts or 220 volts. The low-capacity models are typically rated 110 volts, while larger capacity models are rated 220 volts.
Is 220 Volts the Same as 240 Volts?
Not really. However, for purposes of electrical connections, the two can be used interchangeably. You can also use 230V connections on 220V or 240V appliances.
So, any of them would do if you’re shopping for a 220V appliance. The same applies to 110V, 115V, and 120V appliances and power lines. Though not equal, they belong to the same category.
The differences are primarily occasioned by the need to accommodate increased traffic loads. Most utilities have increased the minimal voltage to lower electric current and reduce wire sizes to resolve the problem.
Why is it Necessary for Appliances to Match the Voltage Source?
It’s important to match appliances with the voltage source because too little or too much voltage can cause appliance failure or even damage.
Connecting a 110-volt air conditioner to a 220-volt power outlet can cause typically melts the connecting wires and, if there’s no protective mechanism protecting the device, may fry your air conditioner. Meanwhile, if you connect a 220V appliance to a 110V power outlet, it simply won’t work because there’s not enough power to run the appliance.
What to Know About Mini Split Wiring
Wiring a ductless mini-split air conditioner is a simple, straightforward process. However, you need some electrical wiring knowledge.
The first thing you need to know is that you’ll be performing two types of wiring. First, you need to connect the AC power (often labeled L1, L2, and Ground). After that, you must connect the DC Control Voltage (usually labeled 1, 2, and 3).
AC power (110-120V or 220-240V) is supplied from an electrical panel that holds all the circuit breakers for your home. Make sure to match the amperage ratings, i.e., a 15 amp AC goes to a 15 amp breaker. Meanwhile, DC power lines go between the outdoor condenser and indoor air handlers. Typically, you’ll find 3-5 DC lines. Match the wire colors – red to red, black to black, etc.
It’s important to mention that whereas DC control lines are almost always included in the AC package, AC lines are mostly purchased separately.
Best 110V Mini Splits Reviews
1. Pioneer WYS012A-19 Wall-Mount Ductless Inverter+ 12,000 BTU Mini-Split
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built perfect for home or light commercial use
- Comes with every needed component in the box, including an easy-install 16ft copper piping kit
- Use for both cooling and heating: 12000 BTU/hour with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the compressor
- Voltage 110 120 VAC 60 Hz (standard household power l-n-g)
The WYS012A-19 from Pioneer is a 12,000 BTU single-zone mini-split air conditioner that also doubles as a heat pump, dehumidifier, and ventilator.
It’s built with the latest technologies for superior efficiency, performance, and comfort, as demonstrated by the 19 SEER rating. We also love that it arrives with a 16-foot installation kit.
It’s a remote-controlled air conditioner. The wireless infrared red remote device allows you to control the AC from anywhere. More importantly, the remote has a programmable module option (sold separately). You can also purchase the Smart Controller Kit and Wireless Internet Worldwide Access kits separately for more convenient smartphone control.
A notable feature of the AC is the automatic switch-over mode for entirely automatic operation through the AC’s onboard computer. This feature gets the AC to choose the best cooling settings based on ambient temperatures and select the best modes to deliver the utmost comfort without further effort on your part. A timer function, night mode, and auto-restart function are the other vital features.
Each purchase is backed by a 5-year compressor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the other components. However, the warranty only applies upon registration.
- All-in-one AC, heater, dehumidifier, and ventilator
- Features a convenient switch-over mode
- All parts are ETL certified, and UL/AHRI listed
- 5-year warranty on compressor and parts
- Outdoor brackets are sold separately
- PVC line cover kit is sold separately
2. SENVILLE SENL-09CD Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump, 9,000 BTUs
- 4-in-1 Mini Split Air Conditioner with Heat Pump. Built-In Air Conditioning, Heating (Up to 5F/-15C), Dehumidifier, Fan and Turbo Function.
- Great for Bedrooms, Additions, Living Rooms, Garages, and Commercial Applications. Can Be Installed in Virtually Any Home, Condo or Space.
- Whisper Quiet Operation (25dB). Energy Efficient Consumption and Engineered for the Harshest Climates.
- 5 Year Manufacturer . Senville Trusted Quality and Design. Free Technical & Installation Support Included.
- Includes 16 Ft. Installation Kit with Communication Cable and Copper Lines (Pre-Flared) and Remote Control. R410A Pre-Charged (25 Ft. ) *Requires Professional Installation.
The majestic SENL-09CD mini-split is a LETO Series air conditioner from SENVILLE. It’s also a four-in-one HVAC system that functions as an air conditioner, heater, dehumidifier, and fan.
The heater works down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit to add heat to your home, even in the coldest conditions. Meanwhile, a Turbo Mode accelerates cooling, heating, or fanning to achieve the desired comfort levels in a shorter time.
The 9,000 BTU AC is rated 19 SEER, which is excellent. Meanwhile, the heating component is rated 7.2 HSPF5 and 8.5 HSPF4. These ratings instantly tell you that this is a very energy-efficient air conditioner. At 25 decibels, it’s quiet enough for study areas and bedrooms. The manufacturer recommends it for rooms between 100 and 450 square feet.
Other standout features of this AC include built-in washable filters to eliminate airborne particles from indoor air and a Turbo Mode to help you achieve the desired temperatures in a shorter time. It arrives with a 16-foot installation kit and communication cables. Pre-flared copper lines (pre-charged to 25-feet) are also included.
Technical support is available toll-free five days a week. Each purchase also comes with a 2-year parts warranty and a 5-year compressor warranty.
- It’s a 4-in-1 AC with a heat pump and fan
- Whisper quiet at 25 decibels
- Simple, straightforward installation
- ETL listed and AHRI certified
- 5-year sealed system warranty
- No warranty on labor
3. AIR-CON Model ALV-12 12,000 BTU Ductless Mini Split AC/Heat Pump 18 SEER
Another excellent choice when shopping for a 110-volt air conditioner is the ALV-12 from AIR-CON. It’s a 12,000 BTU air conditioner with an in-built heat pump that delivers up to 13,000 BTU worth of supplemental heat. It consumes 1,200 watts and is rated 10.8 amperes. The ALV-12 is a fairly efficient air conditioner. It’s rated 17.9 SEER and 9.35 HSPF.
It comes with multiple valuable features, including a Turbo Mode for fast heating and cooling and a Sleep Mode for quiet nighttime use. You’ll also appreciate the Auto Clean function that allows the AC to self-clean to prevent mold and mildew. The self-cleaning feature is operational throughout. You don’t need to switch it on.
The ALV-12 is remote-controlled and Wi-Fi-ready. However, you need to purchase the necessary smart control accessories separately. The compatible Cielo Breeze remote is also sold separately. However, you can also make use of the 24-hour timer to program your heating and cooling.
A dedicated dehumidifier, auto-reset function, and horizontal/vertical swing louver system are the other notable features.
- Remote controlled and Wi-Fi ready
- Auto-reset for power interruptions
- 12-foot copper line set included
- AHRI certified
- Not Energy Star certified
- Requires professional installation
4. Bosch Ultra-Quiet 9,000 BTU 115-Volt Mini Split Air Conditioner, 22 SEER
- COMPACT AND EASY: Aesthetic and modern indoor air handler with compact and easily concealed outdoor condenser unit that comes with 16 ft. of pre-charged refrigerant
- WIDE RANGE: 12, 000 BTU cooling capacity, ideal for rooms up to 400 square feet, the unit provides heat with outdoor temps down to -13 degrees F (provides cooling up to 122 degrees F outdoors)
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Energy Star certified for greater efficiency and lower energy costs - 20. 7 SEER and 9. 6 HSPF Rated
- REMOTE SETTINGS: Wireless back-lit remote with Silent mode, timer, Follow-Me, and Turbo speed settings for the highest level of home comfort
- INCLUDES: Indoor air handler and outdoor condensing section with required 15-foot line set for connection
- Power source type: Corded Electric
The Bosch Climate 5000 ductless mini split series is an energy-efficient, on-demand comfort solution that’s easy to install and even easier to maintain.
At 22 SEER, it’s one of the most efficient air conditioners on this list. It’s also rated 14 EER, one of the highest ratings in the industry. The built-in heat pump delivers about 9,000 BTU of supplemental heat and is rated 10.5 HSPF.
It’s a beautiful mini-split system that arrives with the required wall-mounted indoor air handler. The refrigerant line is pre-charged to 25 feet to make the installation process straightforward.
A remote control device is also included for convenience. It’s a follow-me remote system designed to bring the best climate right where you are.
This AC is ideal for areas up to 300 square feet and is best suited for additions and supplemental air conditioning in bedrooms and other tight areas. The low noise levels (39/34/26 decibels at High, Medium, and Low speeds, respectively) make it a good choice for study rooms. It even has a Silent Mode for quieter operations.
This appliance is Energy Star certified for efficiency. It comes with a 5-year parts warranty and a 7-year compressor warranty.
- Doubles as a 9,000 BTU heat pump
- Quiet operation + Silent Mode
- Highly efficient at 14 EER and 10.5 HSPF
- 5-year parts warranty
- It’s a tad pricey
- No smart/app control
5. GREE 12,000 BTU 16 SEER LIVO+ Wall-Mount Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner
- Required, but not included: 1/4" x 3/8" line set | The new LIVO+ Wall Mount units are the latest addition to the Gree comfort family.
- These 16-SEER heat pump systems are built around Gree's G10 Inverter and variable compressor technology, using environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant.
- Each Livo+ mini-split indoor unit is designed to heat and cool a single room, and will blend seamlessly into any decor.
- It features the Universal Wi-Fi Technology by purchasing the Wi-Fi Kit WSBEC02. With this kit, you will be able to control your unit from your smartphones or tablets anywhere, as long as you have Wi-Fi access.
- SEER: 16.0000 -- EER: 9.3000 -- Room Size: 400 - 650 ft2
The majestic LIVO+ air conditioners are the latest addition to the GREE family. These 16-SEER systems are built around GREE’s G10 inverter and variable compressor technology and use the energy-friendly R410 refrigerant. This particular unit is rated 12,000 BTUs. However, you can also opt for 9,000 BTU, 18,000 BTU, and 24,000 BTU models.
Each AC is designed to sense the remote control’s temperatures to adjust airflow and temperature for the perfect climate around the remote holder. You can control the fan speed as you wish to ensure the most comfortable temperatures.
Alternatively, you can use the timer function to program the heating process. Aside from remote control, it features a Wired Tether Controller (optional).
It is one of the quietest ductless mini-split systems at just 19 decibels in the low-speed setting. Even your TV makes more noise on MUTE. This makes it an excellent choice for bedrooms. The subtle, minimalist appearance further reinforces its low-profile status. It’s also fairly energy-efficient at 16.0 SEER and 10.0 EER.
This air conditioner is best suited to rooms between 400 and 650 square feet and comes with a universal Wi-Fi kit for smartphone control. A comfortable Sleep Mode, an intelligent defrost function, and the vertical swing louvers are the other notable features.
- Swing louvers for directional airflow
- Wired and wireless control
- Intelligent Automatic Mode
- Self-diagnosis and control lock
- Required Wi-Fi accessories sold separately
- Line set required but not included
6. MRCOOL DIY 12,000 BTU 22 SEER Ductless Heat Pump, Energy Star Certified
Finally, it’s always nice to have a DIY option on the list for DIY enthusiasts, and we think the DIY-12-HP-115B from MRCOOL is the perfect 110-volt ductless mini-split to consider.
At 22 SEER, it’s one of the highest-rated low-capacity ductless mini-splits. It also doubles as a heat pump rated 12,000 BTU and 10.0 HSPF.
The low ambient cooling (down to 5˚F) instantly tells you about the level of performance you can expect from this appliance. It even has an auto-restart feature in case of a power outage and leak detection to protect your investment. A Sleep Mode and 24-hour timer mean you can program it to deliver the right level of cooling at the right time.
There’s plenty more to love about this appliance. The included 25-foot pre-charged No-VAC Quick line set makes installation a breeze while the gold fin condenser resists corrosion for a long appliance life. The required remote control is provided as well as line set covers and a mini IR Wi-Fi thermostat.
The DIY-12-HP-115B is Wi-Fi-ready. Download the MRCOOL Smart Controller Module and app from the two leading app stores and begin sending voice commands via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Powerful at 12,000 BTU, with heat pump
- Includes Cool, Dry, and Auto modes
- Convenient Wi-Fi and voice control
- 7-year compressor warranty
- 5-year warranty on other parts
- It’s pricey
Simply put, you must match your mini split AC and power supply. If you intend to run your mini-split from a 110-volt power outlet, then buy a 110-volt AC.
If you bring in a 220-volt AC, then you must create a new 220-volt outlet. Otherwise, the AC won’t work. Fortunately, there are dozens of excellent 110-volt ductless mini-splits from which to choose.