Proper airflow in your home is very important since it offers you comfort and an accommodative living environment. Ceiling registers are conduits or passages used to heat, ventilate, and air condition your home to deliver and remove air.
When you want to buy ceiling registers, it’s important to consider choosing only the best ceiling registers, which have a higher chance of serving you properly and efficiently.
There are various reasons why someone would want to buy a ceiling register. It may be that you want to buy one for the first time or replace your current old one.
Either way, it’s always best to choose a high-quality product to get value for your money. Here are some of the top 5 best ceiling registers that you should consider buying.
Types of Ceiling Registers
Ceiling registers are normally used as return air inlets to ducts, although some of them don’t include a damper. There are several types of ceiling registers made from different materials and sizes.
Here are the various types of ceiling registers:
- Egg grate registers – These are the cheapest types of registers and are also quite simple. They have a visible plenum box situated right above them, which can be easily seen from the room below. You can use an egg grate register if you only want to remove air through the extraction of the ventilation system.
- Bar register – The bar register is a type of ceiling register that has blades shaped like a bar, instead of a narrow shape. These types of registers mostly have a T shape that helps them reduce the see-through factor.
- Transfer registers – Transfer registers are normally used in walls and doors for ventilation purposes, and they also assist in stopping smoke and fire from spreading inside the house in case this happens.
What Is the Difference between Grilles, Registers, and Diffusers?
Grilles, registers, and diffusers tend to differ in terms of efficiency and functionality. So, what exactly sets them apart from each other?
Here are some of the differences you need to know about these three types of ventilation systems.
Grilles are the simplest among these three ventilation systems. Their main objective is to act as a cover that allows air to pass in and out. The advantage of grilles is that they are suitable for both air intake and they also offer air exhaust outlets from an indoor space. They are also easy to maintain since they don’t require dampers or moving components.
Air registers are similar to grilles, but they include adjustable dampers. Unlike grilles which are ideal for both air intake and release in a room, registers only serve the release of air in a room.
They are used to supply air outlets and feed air into indoor spaces. They also include dampers to efficiently control or prevent the airflow direction. Therefore, they function similarly as the vents of an aircon outlet of a car.
Diffusers are similar to registers in terms of the variability of the airflow direction. Diffusers have dampers that are designed to face all-round, which is different from the single air direction included in registers.
You’ll find most diffusers on ceilings covering the aircon or air release of an outlet. Diffusers also vary in design and shape and they come in handy when you want evenly distribute inside a room or path.
What is the Best Location for Ceiling Registers
Ceiling registers need to be properly placed in your home to be as effective as possible. The last thing you want is to have a register that isn’t working as you would want. Therefore, proper placement should be adhered to if you want the register to make an impact in the room.
Ceiling registers should be located on the outer walls, in the ceiling, under windows, or even on the floor. Where you decide to place them will be highly dependent on the cooling or heating system. The construction of your home also plays a significant role when you want to place ceiling registers in a specific room.
How Do You Measure a Ceiling Register?
Here are simple steps on how to measure a ceiling register:
- Take a step ladder and place it beneath the duct opening of the ceiling. Ensure your ladder is tall enough to safely reach your ceiling. For instance, if you have a 12-foot ceiling, you should use a 6-foot ladder.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the ceiling register or you’re making a replacement. Remove the register from the duct and discard it.
- Take a tape measure and use it to measure the length and width of the duct opening on your ceiling.
- Record the measurements on a piece of paper.
- Check the new register’s measurements to make sure the internal dimensions properly fit the duct opening measurements.
- Also, ensure that the external dimensions of a register perfectly fit in the available space of your ceiling.
Which Way Should Ceiling Registers Face?
Theoretically, your ceiling register should point toward the ceiling. When there is hot air, molecules become more active and lighter which makes hot air rise.
The open vent should point towards the center of your room to direct the airflow to the center and not toward the wall of the room, the ceiling, or the floor.
This is similar to placing supply register vents, which need to be placed in all rooms. They should also be situated on the outer walls, in the ceiling, or under the window as mentioned earlier.
Some people ask which direction is suitable to place the air conditioning vent to cool their rooms fast. The answer is not just how fast, but how efficient.
You should ensure that your ceiling register is efficient to cool your room properly whenever there’s too much hot air flowing in.
How to Install Ceiling Registers
- Take a ladder tall enough to help you access the ceiling. Use a screwdriver to remove the existing register.
- Take measurements of the existing air duct opening and also note down the length and width measurements. Avoid using the old registers for measurements so that you can get accurate measurements. Once you’ve recorded the measurements, use them to buy a new register.
- Drill a hole where the screw is marked and ensure it’s slightly smaller than the screw you’re using, to help you attach the register to the ceiling.
- Use painter’s tape to attach the register to your ceiling and hold it in place while still screwing in and fastening the screws.
- Take a power drive and use it to screw the register or you can even use a manual screwdriver. If you used the painter’s tape, you can remove it.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Ceiling Registers
If you’re ready to buy a ceiling register, it’s important to consider several factors that will help you make the right choice. These factors include:
The best ceiling registers come in different sizes to help you choose one that will perfectly fit into your home. One important factor to consider is the size and you can do this by carefully measuring the AC vent to make sure it fits where you want to place the register. The most important thing you need to measure is the duct opening since it provides you with accurate measurements.
In case you’re considering painting your walls and ceiling in the near future, your register must match the color. However, the finishing of your register may make it difficult, which is why you need to consider this factor before making the purchase.
Most AC vents are made of steel or aluminum. In terms of strength, steel is usually tougher than aluminum, but it rusts. Aluminum, on the other hand, is lightweight, portable, but it corrodes. Therefore, this is why some manufacturers use epoxy or powder-coated finish to protect their AC vents.
Where do you plan on placing the register? Registers can be placed on ceilings, walls, and even under windows. Therefore, location also influences the type of register you’re going to buy. In this case, I’m assuming you’re buying a register to place on your ceiling, which is why you need to buy one that perfectly suits your needs.
The best ceiling registers should come with durable and efficient hardware. This simply means that the AC vent should include two screws, although it’s always recommended to avoid procuring your own. If we’re talking about air booster registers, you need to have a mounting plate, screws, and a reliable adapter.
Also Read about Booster Fan for Dryer
Top 5 Best Ceiling Registers
1. Accord ABSWWH2104 Sidewall/Ceiling Register
- Steel construction for sidewall or ceiling application
- 1/2-in spaced fins
- Two-way air deflection with a multi-shutter damper
- The number of louvered columns and mounting holes will vary based on the size of the grille ordered
- Listed product sizes refer to the duct opening measurements, not the register itself
The Accord ABSWWH2104 Sidewall/Ceiling Register is sturdy, easy to install, and features durable steel construction. It comes in different sizes from 8 x 4 inches to a maximum size of 14 x 8 inches. These varieties of sizes are meant to help you select the most ideal option depending on the space of the ceiling you want to place the register.
It’s an ideal ceiling register for sidewall or ceiling application, and also comes with half-inch spaced fins. The Accord ABSWWH2104 Sidewall/Ceiling Register also features two-way air deflection, as well as a multi-shutter damper.
It includes louvered columns and mounting holes, but their number tends to vary depending on the size of the grille that you decide to buy.
It ranks as our top recommendation among the best ceiling registers due to the convenience that it offers, its classic white and durable finish, and also its one-piece stamped face construction. When it comes to installation, you won’t have to strain too much since the manual is clear and easy to understand.
All you have to do is measure the duct opening from left to right for the length and top to the bottom of the width. To install, you need to align with the opening and attach it with the provided screws.
- It features a 2-way design
- Durable steel construction
- Easy to install
- High-quality ceiling register
- It lacks the foam gasket
- Extra large
- It may encounter issues when you try to adjust
2. Décor Grates S612W-WH Wall/Ceiling Register
- Scroll Design steel plated - Painted White Finish wall/ceiling register
- Included are painted screws for easy installation and a consistent look
- Metal damper boxes rust and seize up, so we make our damper boxes with high impact plastic. This is not a cheaper option, it’s the best option
- Available in a variety of styles and finishes to match any decor
- Comes with pre drilled mounting holes
The steel-plated Décor Grates S612W-WH Wall/Ceiling Register is not only affordable but also quite beautiful – according to most of the reviews from buyers.
This ceiling register has a painted white finish, painted screws for easy installation, and also features a consistent look. Its rust-proof feature puts it in the category of the best ceiling registers that you should consider buying, it’s guaranteed to last for long.
The damper boxes used to design the Décor Grates S612W-WH Wall/Ceiling Register are made of high-impact plastic, which makes them durable. As you may know, most of the damper boxes found in low-quality ceiling registers tend to rust and seize up faster. However, the case is different with this wall/ceiling register.
The register comes in a variety of styles and finishes to match any décor that you may have in your home. It also features pre-drilled mounting holes designed to make your installation work easier.
With this ceiling register, you’re guaranteed years of trouble-free operation once you’ve installed it. It provides proper air control and rust-proof protection. The Décor Grates S612W-WH Wall/Ceiling Register is not just a cheaper option, it’s the best option.
- Steel-plated design
- Chipped paint
- The vents may bend easily after long use
3. EZ-FLO 61609 White Two-Way Sidewall/Ceiling Register
- WALL OR CEILING VENT: 2-way Air deflector features a duct opening measuring 10 inch x 4 inch, the overall dimension measures 11-3/4 x 5-3/4 inches **Inner grill measurements will be roughly ¼ to ½ inch smaller than the duct opening for a comfortable fit**
- FUNCTIONALITY: 3 adjustable smooth glide dampers and 18 louvers control the amount and direction of airflow for rattle-free quiet ventilation and optimized performance for heating and cooling systems; can be used for wall or ceiling mount
- DURABLE: Two-way air registers feature all steel construction with a heavy-duty powder-coated matte white finish to add a contemporary touch to your home decor and withstand heat and cold without warping
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: EZ-FLO air vent covers are designed for optimal airflow, increasing the efficiency of residential and commercial HVAC systems; suitable for heaters, AC, or combined systems
- EASY TO INSTALL: Home improvement made EZ; vent cover registers are easy to install and include 2 screws for installation
The heavy-duty steel constructed EZ-FLO 61609 White Two-Way Sidewall/Ceiling Register is affordable and is made of excellent quality material.
What makes this ceiling register stand is the fact that it’s easy to install and also features a two-way air deflection. It measures approximately 11.75 inches by 5.75 inches and has a duct opening of about 10 by 4 inches.
The heavy-duty construction of this ceiling register offers durability and maximum strength to last for longer. EZ-FLO 61609 White Two-Way Sidewall/Ceiling Register also has a powder-coated white finish resistant to flaking, fading, and scratching. Its design is suitable for placing on sidewalls and ceilings.
When it comes to airflow, this ceiling register does not disappoint. It has two-way deflections that make it easier for air to properly flow in and out of it to provide the best atmosphere that is not only conducive but also one that offers comfortable.
Additionally, there’s an adjustable damper that makes the EZ-FLO 61609 White Two-Way Sidewall/Ceiling Register user-friendly and efficient.
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Two-way air deflection
- Excellent quality
- Easy to install
- Cheap screws
- Thin and flimsy metal
- It makes a hissing sound
- It doesn’t seal air when closed
4. AmazonUs/Deflecto Ceiling Register
- Our Ceiling Register measures 10" by 6" and is colored in off white
- Made with polypropylene material, it is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Mounting screws are including, allowing for immediate application
- Simple, push pull designs allows easy and convenient use
The AmazonUs/Deflecto Ceiling Register measures approximately 10 x 6 inches and features a white-colored finish. It’s made from polypropylene material and is also dishwasher safe which makes it quite convenient to use. When it comes to cleaning, rest assured that you won’t struggle because the material is designed to be cleaned faster without straining.
When you buy the register, it comes with mounting screws that enable you to quickly install it and save you time. Reliability and durability also make this one of the best ceiling registers.
It has 5-year guaranteed durability, it features a push-pull design that allows for easy and convenient use. It comes in a variety of sizes like 8 by 4 inches, 10 by 6 inches, 10 by 8 inches, and 12 by 6 inches.
Coming from a reputable brand, Deflecto manufactures quality, innovative, and problem-solving products and has been around for over half a century. The AmazonUs/Deflecto Ceiling Register is a simple, convenient, and durable product to use in your home or workplace.
- Great design
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- 5-year guarantee
- It doesn’t remain closed when there’s too much pressure
- It sticks constantly and trying to open may be a hassle
- It wears out over time
5. Accord ABSWWHA126 Sidewall/Ceiling Register
- Steel construction
- For sidewall or ceiling application
- Individually adjustable blades
- Multi-shutter damper
- Listed product sizes refer to the duct opening measurements, not the register itself
The Accord ABSWWHA126 Sidewall/Ceiling Register features a 1-way adjustable design and measures approximately 12 x 6 inches.
These are duct opening measurements and this is one thing that makes it stand out. It’s made of steel material and this is where it derives its durability and the register is also perfect for sidewall or ceiling application.
The Accord ABSWWHA126 also has individually-adjustable blades and includes a powder coating finish. The ceiling register is scratch-resistant and rust-proof, which means not even the ultra-violet rays from the sun, can fade the pristine white coloring finish. Five louvers are included which run across the 12 vertical slats and maximize the volume of air moving through the vent.
A smooth damper lever has also been included with a rounded grip, which enables the Accord ABSWWHA126 Sidewall/Ceiling Register to easily adjust the flow of air.
The good news is that you can point the damper lever upward or inwardly. Due to the soft edges, you won’t have to worry about any accidental cutting when installing this register.
- Durable steel construction
- 1-way adjustable design
- Duct opening measurement
- White color finish
- Adjustable blades
- It’s made of thin gauge metal
- Too flexible
- Fins of the register only blow straight
- The vent doesn’t fully shut
- The plastic lever may break
The best ceiling registers don’t just fall out of nowhere – they are manufactured by reputable manufacturers, whose main aim is to offer value to users. Therefore, when buying any type of register, size, features, material, and hardware should the number one priority to consider before anything else.
If you happen to have any questions or feedback regarding this post, please feel free to send them in the comment section below or email me and I’ll be happy to respond to you.