Running a heater in your home comes with its cost. This is mainly because it consumes electricity, which adds to your utility bills and requires you to know exactly how much it can cost if you run it for 24 hours. In addition, heaters tend to differ depending on the watts each uses.
If you’re using a 1500 watt heater, then this is also different, but it’s the one we’ll discuss in this post. First, to calculate the amount of money it would cost you to run a 1500 watt heater for 24 hours, you need to know the hourly cost to sum it all up.
A 1500 watt heater generates about 5,000 BTU of heating output. To correctly calculate how much it would cost you to run a 1500 watt heater for 24 hours, here is the equation you need to use:
Heat running cost per hour = power x electricity price / 1000
Below are the estimated costs to run a space heater:
- $0.20 per hour
- $4.80 per 24 hours
- $11.20 per week (8 hours per day)
- $48 per month (8 hours per day)
There are two factors you need to consider when calculating the cost of running a space heater. They include:
- Heater Wattage – This is basically how strong the heater is. The wattage input or power input is found in the specification sheet of every electric heater you buy.
- Electricity price – The electricity price in your area also plays a significant role. The US national average per kilowatt-hour is $0.1319. However, there are some states in the country where electricity is cheaper.
Therefore, depending on the above two factors, you can easily calculate how much it costs to run a 1500 watt heater for 24 hours. But, to simplify things for you, we can use the electric heater running costs calculator. All you need to do is just input the wattage and electricity cost, and then you’ll get the amount your heater costs to run per hour.
Below is a list of how much it would cost you to run different heater wattages per hour and in 24 hours.
- 500 watts – $0.07 per hour and $1.68 for 24 hours.
- 750 watts – $0.10 per hour and $2.40 for 24 hours.
- 1,000 watts – $0.13 per hour and $3.12 for 24 hours.
- 1,250 watts – $0.17 per hour and $4.08 for 24 hours.
- 1,500 watts – $0.20 per hour and $4.80 for 24 hours.
- 2,000 watts – $0.26 per hour and $6.24 for 24 hours.
- 3,000 watts – $0.40 per hour and $9.60 for 24 hours.
- 4,000 watts – $0.53 per hour and $12.72 for 24 hours.
- 5,000 watts – $0.66 per hour and $15.84 for 24 hours.
The above figures estimate how much it can cost you to run each space heater either per hour or for 24 hours in your home.
Calculating the Cost Yourself
The good news is that calculating the running costs of electric devices is pretty easy. The two main factors in the equation are the power input (wattage) and the electricity costs.
For instance, a 1,500 watts heater costs as much to run as a washing machine. This is because an average washing machine also uses 1,500 watts of electricity. Below is a step-by-step calculation.
- A 1,500 watts heater consumes 1,500 watts of electricity.
- Therefore, if you run it for an hour, it will consume 1.5 kWh of electricity.
- If the price of electricity is $0.1319 kWh
- Then it means the heater will consume 1.5 kW x $0.1319 per kWh = $0.20 per hour.
- So, in 24 hours, the heater will consume 1.5 kWh x 24h = 36 kWh
- If you multiply 36 kWh with the electricity price per kWh ($0.1319), the cost will be $4.80 per day.
You can use a bit of math to simplify the process. That means you only need to multiply wattage with the electricity cost and running hours, divided by 1,000 to convert watts in kilowatts.
Heating running cost = power x electricity price per kWh x No. of running hours / 1,000
How Much It Costs to Run a 1,000 Watt Heater for 24 Hours
It’s easy to start with a 1,000 watts heater because calculating the cost won’t be such a hassle. Let’s first outline the basic information:
- Power = 1,000 W
- Electricity price = $0.1319 per kWh
- Number of running hours = 24h
Below is the equation:
Heating running cost = 1000W x $0.1319 per kWh x 24h / 1,000 = $3.17 per day.
How Long Should You Keep a Space Heater On?
Some people run their space heaters for 24 hours, but the most recommended is 3 hours at a time. But, if your 1,500 watts heater happens to have variable settings, you can run for about 4 to 5 hours on a low setting. It’s crucial to note that if you have a non-electric heater, don’t run it for 24 hours.
That’s because space heaters that run on fuel emit carbon monoxide, which is dangerous to humans if emitted in large amounts. That’s why the perfect time frame to run a space heater is 3 hours, regardless of the heater you’re using.
Consider giving your space heater between 30 minutes and 1 hour cool off time, then continue running it for another 3 hours. This will ensure the heater is safe and stable to use.
Does a Space Heater Save Energy?
Absolutely! Space heaters are known to save energy, which is why most homeowners prefer using them. When you’re using a space heater in your home, it significantly saves your energy and money.
The difference between cost and energy is the reason why most homeowners prefer space heaters. Even if you’re using multiple space heaters in your home, it will save you money and energy. The only time the running heat costs you less money is when you’re using space heaters in more than 4 or 6 rooms for 24 hours each.
How Energy-Efficient is a 1,500 Watt Heater?
Most of the 1,500 watts heaters in the market have an added layer of energy efficiency. Therefore, when searching for a 1,500-watt heater, look for one with smart and energy-efficient options.
For example, some space heaters tend to have an 8-hour timer and limit, which is excellent for homeowners who don’t want to accidentally increase their energy bills by leaving the appliance running for long.
Additionally, there are handy heaters with customizable timers of up to 12 hours. These ultimately help you save energy and reduce your billing costs. Once you start getting the bills, it will be easier to tweak and fine-tune the heater usage to have the best savings.
What Type of Electric Heater is Cheaper to Run?
Research shows that halogen heaters are the cheapest to run in your home. This is because they cost between $20 and $70. They are also highly considered energy-efficient, which is why many homeowners prefer buying and using them.
Aside from their affordability, halogen heaters also start and heat up faster. Most halogen heaters turn off once they get to the selected temperature and then turn back on when it cools down. However, halogen heaters also have their downside: they don’t produce as much heat as other types of heaters.
But still, halogen heaters are a good option if you want to heat small spaces for a short time. It’s not recommended to leave space heaters running all night. This is because some space heaters emit carbon monoxide when running, which is dangerous to humans.
Why Does My Space Heater Smell?
Most brand new space heaters tend to smell. This is because there is a mild burning smell that most new space heaters get. The good news is that this smell goes away fairly quickly.
But, if your space heater is not new and it is smelling, then the reason might be because of dirt, debris, or hair. Therefore, you need to properly inspect it to ensure it’s clean or clean if it happens to have accumulated dirt.
How to Save Money on Your Heating Bills
There are several ways you can save money on your heating bills. Check them out below:
- Consider using a dehumidifier – Dehumidifiers can help you stay warm while saving you money.
- Use a space heater – As mentioned earlier, space heaters don’t consume a lot of electricity. This is something that has made many homeowners prefer using them over air conditioners.
- Use a programmable or smart thermostat – With a smart thermostat, you can easily set it up to how long you want it to run, and it will shut off when time elapses. You can also set the ideal heat you want, and once it gets to that temperature, it will automatically shut off.
Running a space heater is crucial to consider if you want to stay warm and still save on energy bills. What’s more, these types of appliances are pretty easy to use and have compact designs, which make them suitable to use at home in any room.