Gas fireplaces are a very popular appliance in a lot of homes. This is because they are efficient and put out a lot of heat and stylish and sleek. However, you must know exactly how to use the appliance to avoid any incidents.
Gas fireplaces can save you a lot of time when starting a fire. There is no longer any need to find kindling and start a fire from scratch. Instead, you can press a button, and your home will be nice and toasty in no time. Here we will tell you everything that you need to know about working your gas fireplace.
To turn on a gas fireplace with a wall switch, press the ON button on the control panel. Ensure that the gas valve is in the open position before turning your fire on.
Before Turning on your Gas Fireplace
First things first, before turning on your gas fireplace, it is important that you become acquainted with the various parts in your gas fireplace and how they work both individually and together.
The gas valve
Depending on which type of gas fireplace you have, you might have to use a key to open up the gas valve. Alternatively, you may need to do this via a control panel if you have a more modern appliance. If neither of these is an option for your particular gas fireplace, then you can also use a lighter or match to get the fire going.
In this case (no key or ignition switch on the control panel), you will need to open up the front panel before making sure that the pilot light is turned OFF. Wait approximately ten minutes before continuing, as this will give the system enough to get rid of any excess gas.
Ensure that the chimney vent is in the open position.
How To Turn On Gas Fireplace with a Wall Switch
Many gas fireplaces make things as easy as possible for the user. You can turn your fireplace on with the flick of a switch. Once you have turned the switch to the ON position, it will signal the fireplace to ignite.
If it does not ignite automatically, you will have to turn it on manually instead. Exactly how you should do this will depend on what your instruction manual says. We will detail two different methods of doing this manually below, one by using a control panel and one by using a key valve.
How to Turn on Gas Fireplace with a Control Unit
On most gas fireplaces, you can generally find both a control panel and a pilot ignitor knob. On the pilot ignitor knob, there are 2-3 different options. All of them will have both OFF and PILOT, and some will also have ON.
To turn on your gas fireplace with a control unit, complete the following steps:
- Switch the mode. Turn the ignitor knob from OFF to PILOT. Once this is done, push the knob inwards to begin the gas. This will then allow the gas to start flowing into the system.
- Once the gas has started to come into the system. You need to press the knob roughly every second. You should keep repeating this process until the fire starts to light. Please note that if you have not used your gas fireplace for a long time, it may take a little longer than you expect.
- Once the pilot light is alight, you will want to keep the button pressed inwards for a further 30 seconds. This will give the thermocouple enough to heat up and ensure that the pilot light stays lit. You may need to keep this button held down for longer, depending on your appliance.
- Let go of the pilot ignitor knob and leave it in the ON position. Once this is alight, you can use the other knobs to adjust the pilot flame size as required. Replace the panel.
- Ensure that the gas valve remains open, and you can usually do this via another knob. Turn this knob so that it is parallel with the gas line and it will stay open.
Once you have completed all of these steps, you have successfully turned on your gas fireplace via the control panel. If for any reason, your gas fireplace has not ignited, you may need to call a professional for help.
How to Turn on Gas Fireplace with a Key Valve
If you do not have a control panel that allows you to turn on your gas fireplace, you may need to do so with a key valve. If this is the case, you will see around a slot that controls the gas. This both controls the flow and turns the fireplace on.
To turn on your gas fireplace with a key valve, complete the following steps:
- Pull the trigger for the fuel. You will need a very long lighter (like those used for a BBQ) and hold it close to the burner and pull the trigger. Note that you may need some help with this step.
- Now, you will need to open the gas valve by turning the key in the slot. You should be able to hear the gas entering into the system; if you cannot, you may see the pilot light catch aflame.
- Once the pilot light is aflame, you can replace the front cover.
- Adjust the flame if needed.
- Keep the key in a safe place. You will need it for next time so be careful not to lose it!
Here is how to light a gas fireplace with eelctronic ignition
How to Turn Gas Fireplace Off
Now that you know exactly how to turn on your gas fireplace according to the appropriate method, you will need to know how to turn it off. Thankfully, the methods to turn your gas fireplace off are easy. They will also depend on the type of appliance that you have.
If your gas fireplace has a wall switch to turn on, then you can use this same switch to turn it off. Turn the switch to the OFF position to turn off the pilot light.
Alternatively, if your gas fireplace uses a control panel, then you can turn the appropriate knob (the one for the pilot light) to OFF. You must also ensure that the emergency gas valve is similarly turned to the OFF position.
If your fireplace uses a key for ignition, you will need this same key to turn it off. Place the key into the slot and turn the valve into a closed position. This will stop the gas supply to the system and turn the fireplace off. Keep the key in a safe place.
It is imperative to remember to turn the gas fireplace off if you are not using it, such as leaving the house for the day. This is because this reduces the chances of an incident, such as carbon monoxide poisoning.
Alternatives to Gas Fireplaces
If you are after something other than a gas fireplace, there are alternatives. However, it would help if you considered which option is best for you and your home when choosing the appropriate fireplace.
LED fireplaces are simple and easy to use. They turn on and off at the flick of a switch. There is no direct heat source, such as with a gas fireplace, so you will be very impressed with the amount of heat that they can put out into the room.
In addition, you can customize the lights to match your room, mood, or atmosphere. This gives a home an instantly cool and modern feel.
Besides gas fireplaces, electric fireplaces are the most common type of fireplaces in homes. You can find a lot of different styles as well as many different price points. So, whatever your needs, you will be able to find the right electric fireplace for your home.
Many of these appliances can put on a great display of fire. However, you will probably need to get very close to the appliance actually to feel the heat.
So, if you enjoy curling up by the fire to read a book or have a nap, then an electric fireplace may be the right option for you. But, if you are looking to heat a big room quickly, a gas fireplace may still be the best option.
Alcohol Gel Fireplaces
Alcohol gel fireplaces are one of the more environmentally friendly options for heating your home. They can also be a lot safer as they do not emit any smoke or fumes.
You can choose from either odorless or scented alcohol gel fireplaces. Typically one set will last for approximately three hours. Like the LED fireplaces, you can change your fireplace according to your mood, the season, or anything else you can think of.