If you’ve turned your basement into a rec room, a studio, a gym, a work area, or a guest bedroom, you want to find the most energy efficient basement heaters so that you don’t freeze in winter.
The benefits of using a space heater to keep your downstairs area at a comfortable temperature are numerous. You get to save energy because you don’t need to crank the central heat. Also, you don’t have to install ducts and can use the heater for other rooms as well.
Most Energy Efficient Basement Heaters Comparison Table
Reasons your Basement is Cold
Naturally, basements are quite damp places. Cold air currents normally accumulate near the ground and in basements. The accumulation of humid air in basements is the main reason why mildews and molds easily grow in basements.
Out of Season Basement Temperatures
Contrary to popular opinion, the temperatures in your basement do not respond to seasonal changes immediately.
Generally, the temperatures in your basement may lag behind actual seasonal changes by even more than two months. This lag in temperature changes has massive implications.
When the winter season is over, the temperatures in your basement are likely to remain at the same level for even two months.
Interestingly, when the snow starts to accumulate outside, your basement temperatures do not respond immediately. It is until the snow thickness exceeds two feet that the ambient temperature of your basement will start to dip.
Poorly Managed Heating Registers
If you use a central heating system in your home, poor management of the registers can be the main reason for cold temperatures in the basement. Every room and space in your home has specific heating requirements.
If you open and close the registers manually, then the chances are that you may create imbalances in temperatures in the rooms during the day. Such imbalances tend to contribute to cold temperatures in rooms that are naturally cooler than the others, such as the basement.
Using motorized registers is the best and effective method of managing your central heating system. Thanks to the inbuilt thermostats, the registers automatically shut when the heat rises in a room beyond a predetermined level. When the temperature falls, they automatically open.
This mode of operation will ensure that your basement receives warm air according to its unique heating requirements.
Different Heating Solutions for a Cold Basement
It is possible to keep your basement comfortable and warm by either making important decisions during the construction or using other options for an already constructed basement. Here are a few useful options that you can use to keep your basement warm.
Baseboard heaters are designed to be used as secondary sources of heat in buildings. They are installed along the baseboard so that they can take in the cold air currents that get into rooms through open doors and windows. The baseboard heaters then give out heated air currents. The currents spread across the room for the comfort of everyone inside.
Using hydronic baseboard heaters to warm your basement can be a great idea. When properly installed, baseboard heaters can last for even more than 10 years. This means that if you install them along the perimeter of your basement, you will not have to worry about cold temperatures for a long time.
However, remember that baseboard heaters work well when they are used to warm small spaces. If you have a large basement, it will be proper to check for the right baseboard heater that can operate effectively.
Radiant Heat Mats or Cables
Using electric heating mats or cables on the floor is another important way of heating your basement. Primarily, it involves installing special mats of cables under the slabs on the floor.
You can either have them installed during the construction or even when a building is already in use. The process of installing the mats in a basement that is already being used requires special technical skills.
This mode of heating is quite convenient for basements for several reasons. First, it is better than the other alternatives such as propane-burning heaters, electric fireplaces, and even baseboard heaters.
The method does not involve the use of fans; therefore, when you use it, you will not have to worry about the noise that heaters have fans or blowers produce.
Second, this method delivers even heating. Using any of the other types of electric heaters may result in the creation of cold spots in the basement. However, if you have radiant heating mats installed on the floor, the entire room will have a uniform temperature.
Portable Space Heaters
Portable space heaters are ideal for heating small spaces whenever there is a need for doing so. They are made to be easily moved from one place to another. They either use radiant or convection modes of heating.
Regardless of the specific heating mode used, such heaters can be a good source of heat in your basement. You can easily move them to the basement and get them up and running for as long as you want.
However, using this method to heat the basement means that you will have to bear with the brunt of moving the space heaters downstairs often.
It is possible to use traditional fireplaces to warm your basement. However, choosing this method comes with the extra work of keeping the fireplace clean. This usually involves having the entire place and chimneys thoroughly cleaned occasionally.
Furthermore, traditional fireplaces produce carbon monoxide, just like space heaters that burn propane or kerosene. However, installing a good chimney is always the best solution to the problem. Needless to say, you cannot install chimneys to deal with the carbon monoxide gas produced by propane or kerosene-burning space heaters.
6 Most Energy Efficient Basement Heaters Reviews
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large room.
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and lifetme filter
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts.Electric Cord 72 inch long
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power source type: Corded Electric
Several features make Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater stand out as one of the best ways of warming the basement. Primarily, the heater has a dual heating system that comprises an infrared quartz tube and a special ceramic heating disc.
This heating system ensured the effective distribution of heat in large indoor spaces. Therefore, this heater will rapidly warm the air in your basement and maintain the temperature within the required range for even 12 hours.
Furthermore, it can be set on an auto energy-saving mode. When operating in this mode, the heater consumes less electric energy but delivers enough heat to keep the air in small spaces warm. If there is a need, you can move the heater to different places to ensure that no cold spots develop in the basement.
Despite its great performance features, this electric heater has one fault: the high-velocity blower is slightly loud. The sound produced by the space heater at times is loud enough to interrupt a soft conversation.
- Ideal for zonal heating because of its portability
- Great heat distribution, thanks to the dual heating system
- The heater can be quite energy-efficient when operating on the auto energy-saving mode
- The high-velocity blower of the heater is slightly noisy
2. DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater
- DURABLE & MAINTENANCE-FREE: Patented, high-quality steel assembly and the permanently-sealed oil reservoir never needs refilling
- RADIANT HEAT: 1500 watts of heating power for quiet, full room comfort
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Customize to your heating needs with an adjustable thermostat and 3 heat settings
- PATENTED THERMAL SLOTS: Unique thermal slot design maximizes heat flow into the room while maintaining a low surface temperature
- PEACE OF MIND: Features a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
The DeLonghi TRD40615E is a versatile, highly durable, and easy-to-maintain heater that you can rely upon to deliver uniform heat in the basement.
Its casing is made of high-quality steel that enhances the overall durability of the heater. Moreover, you do not have to worry about replacing the diathermic oil which acts as a type of heat sink.
Because basements are particularly cold, you need a powerful source of steady heat to maintain the temperatures within the desired levels. Luckily, the DeLonghi TRD40615E has been desired to provide consistent warmth in small-to-medium-sized spaces.
Its diathermic slots are quite effective in releasing heated air currents to ensure that the temperature in indoor spaces is fully controlled.
The only notable drawback of the DeLonghi TRD40615E is that it cannot be relied upon to heat large spaces. However, most space heaters are designed for zonal heating. Besides, you can move the heater to different locations if you need to heat a large basement.
- You can easily control the performance of the heater using an inbuilt thermometer and temperature settings
- The heater delivers radiant heat across entire indoor spaces, thanks to the specially designed thermal slots
- It is very easy to maintain the heater because the diathermic oil does not need replacement
- The heater is unsuitable for use in large basements
3. DIMPLEX North America PC6025W31 2500W 60″ Wireless Heater
- Connex, 2500W, 240V, 60, white, wireless baseboard heater, energy efficient, built-in electronic thermostat
- Highly durable product
- Manufactured in China
If you are looking for an effective, highly durable, and reliable baseboard heater for your basement, then the PC6025W31 may be the right choice.
It has several features that make it stand out from many other heaters that are suitable for use as supplemental sources of heating, including advanced controls, and great durability.
As is the case with all baseboard heaters, you will not have to pay much attention to the PC6025W31 once it is fully installed on the baseboard of your basement.
The heater operates in the background, unlike conventional space heaters that have to be carried around the place and positioned appropriately.
Thanks to its design, this baseboard heater warms the air effectively and remains silent when operating. It steadily collects cold air currents, warms, and then distributes them to create and maintain a cozy environment.
However, installing the PC6025W31 may not be a breeze if you are not highly skilled in handling baseboard heaters. Therefore, it may be wise to get the services of a certified technician to install this baseboard heater in your basement.
- It comes with wall-mounted controls for your convenience
- The heater requires very little maintenance once it is well installed
- The heater is quite silent when operating
- You may need the services of a technician to install the heater on your baseboard
4. Stiebel Eltron 233586 CNS 100-1 E Wall-Mounted Convection Heater
- Attractive slim line European design
- Built in thermostat with selectable temperature range from 45 Degree- 86 Degree F
- Works with existing wall-mounted thermostat
- Draft-free, silent operation. Overheat protection is built into the unit
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Heating coverage:- 250 square feet
This wall-mountable electric heater can be a great companion for warming the air in your basement. Although it does not have a fan for distributing the warm air around the place, the heater does perform well in creating a comfortable environment in indoor spaces.
You can select the ideal temperature from a wide range (45 degrees Fahrenheit to 86 degrees Fahrenheit). The inbuilt thermometer is quite accurate in detecting changes in the ambient temperature. Therefore, the heater can maintain the temperature in the living zone of your basement fairly well.
When mounting an electric heater on the wall of your basement, you may have to consider how the entire place will look like.
The good news is that the Stiebel Eltron 233586 has been designed to blend well with all décor types. Its white finish and compact European design can be a great aesthetic addition to your basement.
- It has a modern European design and a unique white finish that can enhance the interior look and feel of your basement
- The heater has great heating capability (temperature ranges from 45 degrees Fahrenheit to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Advanced safety features, including overheat protection
- The heating coverage is limited to spaces that do not exceed 250 square feet
5. Yosemite Home Decor DF-EFP400 Fantasy Electric Fireplace
- Multi-colored flame display operates with or without heat for year round enjoyment
- No fuel combustion zero carbon monoxide emissions
- Heats up to a 220 Square Feet room with ease
- Selectable high (1500W) and low (750W) settings let you adjust the fireplace's heat output
- Remote control for variable heat and variable flame (included)
Electric fireplaces can be a great source of heat in your basement. However, to get the best from them, it is necessary to choose a brand that has the right feature. The DF-EFP400 can be a great choice because it has the perfect combination of performance features and design aspects.
Its exquisite modern design with a black finish complements the multicolored flame of its faux hearth to deliver a great feeling in any indoor space. Thus, this electric fireplace place can lighten up your basement and make it quite a comfortable place to stay in for long periods.
You can adjust the heating capacity of this electric fireplace by toggling between the low and high modes. On the low mode, the fireplace consumes 750w of power.
This amount of power can be enough to heat small basements during periods when the temperatures are slightly higher than normal. If this is not the case, then you will have to run the fireplace on the 1,500w mode.
- The heater has controls for adjusting the heating capacity, flame color, and brightness
- Its modern design and black finish add an exquisite feel to the room
- It has inbuilt safety features
- The surface of the fireplace may become quite warm
6. Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater
- SPACE HEATER – The Honeywell Safeguard Motion Sensor Ceramic Space Heater provides powerful, 1500W whole room heat in any space in a slim, space saving design. This tower heater features easily controlled comfort, a motion sensor and oscillation.
- SAFETY MATTERS: The large room heater offers safety options including a Safeguard motion sensor that shuts off the heater if an object is too close, plus 2x Overheat Protection, thermal insulated wiring, tip over protection and an auto-off timer option.
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT – Always be comfortable, no matter what season it is. This personal heater has a tower design, so it fits into any room in your home without taking up too much space. It has a sturdy base, oscillation and cool touch plastic housing.
- SMART SAVINGS: A portable heater is an easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your whole house thermostat a few degrees and heating the room you are in, a space heater for indoor use can help you save money while providing soothing warmth.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating and energy savings in your home, bedroom or office using a Honeywell portable heater. Honeywell offers whole room heaters, tower heaters and oscillating heaters.
If you are looking for a unique heater to warm the air in your basement, then it would be worth trying the Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater.
Unlike conventional space heaters, this device has a very slim body and compact design. Thus, it is very easy to carry it from one place to another when heating large rooms.
Additionally, it has very advanced controls for the convenience of users. Notably, the inbuilt motion sensors can effectively detect objects nearby the heater and trigger a shutdown.
Also, when the heater automatically goes off when it falls. These features can be quite helpful in preventing the possible occurrence of accidents.
Despite the sleek design, great controls, and excellent heating performance, the Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater can easily fall when knocked. The good news is that its safety features prevent accidents from occurring in case the heater is knocked or shows signs of overheating.
- The dual motors and oscillation enhance its heating performance
- The heater has advanced controls, including a timer and thermostat
- It is highly portable because of the compact design and small footprint
- The heater can easily fall when knocked because of its slim body
Regulating the temperature in your basement is important not only to avoid freezing but also to prevent mold growth during winter.
The best energy efficient basement heaters will help you achieve this without worrying about energy bills. However, you still have to make sure the heater is rightly sized for the room and energy star rated. Also, follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer to keep safe.