A 14,000 BTU air conditioner will adequately cool a room that is about 500 square feet in size. This is assuming that the room you are cooling has a standard ceiling height of 8 feet. If the ceiling’s height is higher, you will have a larger amount of air that needs to be cooled. As a result, you may need an air conditioner that has a higher BTU rating than 14,000.
Similarly, it is assumed that the environmental conditions are not extreme. If the temperatures are abnormally high, you will need additional BTUs to cool the room adequately.
Therefore, the estimation that you need a portable air conditioner with a rating of 14,000 BTUs to sufficiently cool the air in a room that measures 500 square feet is based on several assumptions.
You need to choose an air conditioner whose BTU rating matches your room’s size. If you use a device that has a low rating, you will not get the right service. Your air conditioner will have to run non-stop but still fail to cool the air adequately.
If you use an air conditioner with a very high BTU rating, you will have to pay more for power than you genuinely need. The excess capacity of the air conditioner will go to waste.
How much electricity does a 14000 BTU air conditioner use?
A 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner uses about 4.1kWh of electricity. This figure is based on a formula for converting BTUs, the rating of air conditioners, to kWh, which is the unit of measuring electric energy. A standard portable air conditioner with a BTU rating of 7,500 will consume about 2.2kWh of electricity.
To determine the actual cost of running a 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner, you need to consider two things: the unit cost of electricity and the number of hours the air conditioner runs.
Assume that the cost of a kWh is 10 cents and that you run your air conditioner for 10 hours a day, the cost of operating the device would be $10. You can multiply this by the number of days you run your air conditioner per month to determine the monthly cost.
Other Things to Look for When Buying a Portable Air Conditioner?
Portable air conditioners are the best option for cooling the air in rooms with access to a central air conditioning system. They instantly cool the air in rooms and apartments, thus creating and maintaining perfect air conditions in indoor spaces.
It would be best to make the right choice when buying an air conditioner to enjoy all these benefits. Here are a few essential things that you should consider when purchasing a portable air conditioner.
1. Noise Level
Air conditioners produce a noise level as they cool the air in the room and channel the hot air outside the building. However, the noise level that the devices produce varies with the models, design, and sizes.
The loudest air conditioners have dB levels of over 80. It would help if you avoided such devices because they will cause a lot of distractions when running. The best air conditioners are those which have a noise level of less than 30dB. They are ultra-silent and ideal for homes and offices where ultimate silence is critical.
2. Control Features
Go for portable air conditioners with the most advanced control features, including remote, digital displays, and timers. It is more convenient to use such portable air conditioners than those that lack such advanced control features.
Additionally, some air conditioners have other inbuilt features, including washable air filters, multiple fan speeds, and directional air control. These features enhance the device’s overall performance and let you tune the air conditioner to work according to your needs.
3. Method of Draining Condensate
Air conditioners have pans for collecting humidity, which condenses into water. The device removes humidity from the air as part of the process of cooling.
The method of removing the condensed water from the air conditioner determines how much time you will spend on the device to keep it in perfect condition.
The best air conditioners have full self-evaporative technology. Such an air conditioner effectively dissipates the air’s collected moisture instead of letting it accumulate inside a pan. Other air conditioners have pans that collect the condensate over time.
You can empty the pan by using a pump, which is a separate accessory. Alternatively, you can connect a drain hose to effectively remote the condensate from your air conditioner.
Portable Air Conditioner Tips and Tricks
Although air conditioners can effectively cool the air in small indoor spaces, they are not as efficient as conventional central air conditioning systems.
Nevertheless, you can get the best from your portable air conditioner if you use the best practices.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get the best from your portable air conditioner.
- Switch it on early. Your air conditioner can sufficiently cool the air in your room if you switch it on early before the temperature peaks. If you target to avoid the high temperatures that start at noon during the day, switch on your portable air conditioner a few hours before noon. Doing this lets your device sufficiently cool the air and maintain the temperature even before the outdoor and indoor temperature rises to the maximum levels.
- Keep the doors and windows closed. If possible, keep the doors and windows closed to get the best service from your air conditioner. When the room is adequately insulated, the air conditioner works best. This is because it does not have to repeatedly deal with huge amounts of hot air that keep on flowing inside a room that is not adequately insulated or one that has all the doors and windows wide open.
- Take good care of the filters. It is a good idea to buy additional packs of filters for your air conditioner. The extra filters will help you keep your air conditioner in perfect shape always. Remember to replace the filters of your air conditioner every three months.
- Think creatively about venting. Contrary to popular belief, you can vent your air conditioner in various ways and not solely through a window. The chimney, the roof, and even the floor are some of the viable options for venting your air conditioner. The widow kit that is included in most brands of air conditioners is easy to install and manage. You can even use it to vent the hot air from your air conditioner to a separate room in your house.
Best 14000 BTU Portable Air Conditioners
1. Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
The Whynter ARC-14S is a big portable air conditioner with massive capabilities cooling and dehumidification capabilities. With a BTU rating of 14,000, this air conditioner can keep the air cool in rooms that are 500 square feet large.
It can move about 253 cubic feet of air per minute when operating on the high mode. These excellent performance metrics help to maintain perfect air conditions in indoor spaces.
This air conditioner has a modern style with a highly appealing black and white finish. The back and white finish blend perfectly with all types of interior décor styles.
Thus, if you place it in a place where everyone can see it quickly, it will enhance your living room’s overall look and feel or any other space indoors.
Operating the air conditioner is a breeze. It has various settings features that let you choose what suits you most. Notably, you can adjust the fan speed across three settings. You can also use the remote control to change every aspect of the operation of this air conditioner.
- Three fan settings and operational modes for your convenience
- It has dual hose venting capabilities.
- Its black and white finish provides aesthetic value
- Not very portable because of its large size and weight
2. BLACK+DECKER BPACT14WT Portable Air Conditioner
The BPACT14WT is one of the most convenient to use, reliable, and easy to maintain portable air conditioners currently available on the market.
This air conditioner has a relatively low noise level of about 40dB. Thus, you will hardly hear it when it is running during the day. At night, you can keep its noise level even lower than this by switching to the night mode. Therefore, it is convenient to use it at home or office.
It effectively cools the air in indoor environments, thanks to its equally powerful and adjustable fan. You can change the fan’s speed across three options to ensure the optimal performance of the device. Besides, the air conditioner can reduce the indoor temperature to 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
You do not need any technical skills to install and maintain this air conditioner. It comes with a window kit that you can use to vent the hot air outside the room through the window. You can also vent the hot air through the chimney.
The only notable drawback of this air conditioner is that its BTU rating of 8,000 is relatively low. Thus, you cannot use this air conditioner to effectively cool the air in large rooms that measure 500 square feet.
- Convenient for use because of the sleep mode and low noise level
- Effective cooling of air to about 65 degrees Fahrenheit
- It comes with a window kit for easy installation
- Unsuitable for cooling large rooms because of its relatively low BTU rating of 8,000
3. Honeywell HL14CESWK Portable Air Conditioner
One of the most notable features of the HL14CESWB relates to how this air conditioner adequately cools the air in large spaces. It utilizes the inbuilt automatic vertical air motion to sufficiently cool areas that are as large as 700 square feet.
The automatic movement of air ensures that the ambient temperature in the room remains low as the air conditioner removes excess humidity and cools incoming air currents.
Moreover, it has advanced safety features, including thermal protection capability. Although using portable air conditioners is a relatively safe process, your air conditioner can cause accidents.
The most common one is when the internal temperature rises to abnormally high levels leading to overheating. The HL14CESWB is built to prevent this scenario from happening. The thermal protection unit ensures that the air conditioner does not overheat.
Sadly, this air conditioner is bulky and difficult to move around the house. It weighs 64 pounds, which is relatively high. Luckily, you do not have to move your portable air conditioner around the house at a whim.
- Easy to maintain because it has dual filters
- Effective cooling using the vertical air motion technique
- It has advanced safety features, including thermal protection
- The air conditioner is bulky: 64 pounds
4. Amazon Basics Portable Air Conditioner
The Amazon Basics Portable Air Conditioner has three modes of operation: a dehumidifier, a fan, and cooling the air. When used to cool the air indoors, it effectively reduces the ambient temperature to your desired levels. You can determine how effectively it does this by adjusting the speed of the fan.
It is relatively easy to operate this air conditioner. You can use the remote control to change the fan speed, switch it on and off, and adjust all your air conditioner’s functional features.
At 45dB, this air conditioner is slightly noisy. If used at night in the bedroom, it may wake up a light sleeper. However, this is a small issue, considering the performance of this air conditioner. Besides, there are air conditioners that are particularly loud, with dB levels of even 70.
- It is remote-control enabled for easy operation
- It has three modes of operation: cooling, dehumidifying, and a fan
- The air conditioner has a highly visible LED display unit
- It has a relatively high noise level of 45dB
5. Koldfront Portable Air Conditioner
The Koldfront Portable Air Conditioner is a powerful device that you can use to cool indoor air, and reduce the amount of moisture, and as a fan.
When used as a dehumidifier, this device can effectively remove about 107 pints of water from the air in a day. When used to cool the temperature, you can choose from a broad range of 62 degrees Fahrenheit to 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
It also has auto-swinging louvers that maximize the airflow. The louvers help the air conditioner to instantly cool the air indoors and maintain the temperature within the required range for your ultimate comfort.
The 8000 BTU rating of the Koldfront Portable Air Conditioner can be an inconvenience if you have a large space. This air conditioner is limited to spaces that do not exceed 3500 square feet in size. Therefore, you must get a larger air conditioner if your space is bigger than 3500 square feet.
- Effective cooling capacity with auto-swing louvers that control the flow of air
- Powerful dehumidification capability of 107 pints per day and cooling temperature range of 62 degrees Fahrenheit to 82 degrees Fahrenheit
- An easy-to-use control panel and a matching LED display unit
- Unsuitable for use in large spaces
6. De’Longhi 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
The De’Longhi 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner is a multipurpose device that you can use as a heater, dehumidifier, conditioner, and fan. When used as a conditioner, this device can sufficiently cool the air in large rooms that measure up to 600 square feet.
It has a touch panel that you can use to control it easily. The touch panel is complemented by a LED display unit that lets you monitor the device’s performance and the effect of the changes you make when you change the settings.
You will have to carry your De’Longhi 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner whenever you need to move it to a different location. It does not have caster wheels, which makes the process of moving a portable air conditioner easy.
- It is a multipurpose device: heater, conditioner, fan, and dehumidifier
- Suitable for conditioning the air in large rooms that measure 600 square feet
- It has a touch panel for your convenience
- It lacks caster wheels for easy portability
7. EdgeStar Portable Air Conditioner
The EdgeStar Portable Air Conditioner has several features that make it an attractive device for conditioning the air in your home or office. You do not have to worry about getting a technician to install it for you.
This device comes with a simple window kit and a relatively long exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe, which measures 49 inches, is exceptionally useful in channeling the hot air outside the room.
This air conditioner has an inbuilt thermostat and timer for your convenience. The thermostat lets you select the ideal temperature that the air conditioner should maintain.
This ranges from 61 degrees Fahrenheit to 89 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use the inbuilt timer to determine the period when the air conditioner should run. The range of time is 24 hours.
- It comes with a window kit and a long 49-inch exhaust hose
- Large thermostat temperature range of 61 degrees Fahrenheit to 89 degrees Fahrenheit
- It has a programmable timer with a 24-hour range
- Slightly noisy: 56dB
8. Soleus Air LX-140, 14,000 BTU Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner
The Soleus Air LX-140 has an inbuilt evaporative technology for removing the moisture that it collects from the air. Therefore, you do not have to spend additional money on purchasing pumps for removing the condensed moisture. This makes the maintenance process less involved than when you must manually remove the condensate from the pan.
The programmable digital thermostat and timer are great additions. You can use them to tune the performance of the air conditioner to your needs at any time. The remote control lets you operate the air conditioner from the comfort of your seat or bed.
Sadly, it has only one hose for exhausting the heated air. This means that the air conditioner creates a slightly negative air pressure indoors when running long.
However, this is not a big issue because you will not even realize a somewhat negative air pressure in your room when running this air conditioner.
- It has an inbuilt evaporative technology to prevent the accumulation of condensate
- The air conditioner has a programmable digital thermostat and timer
- It comes with an exhaust hose and window kit
- It has only one exhaust pipe
9. Haier HPN14XCM Portable Air Conditioner
It is easy to move the Haier HPN14XCM from one room to another if you ever must do this. The air conditioner has four highly durable caster wheels that you can use to roll it.
Nevertheless, remember that moving your portable air conditioner means that you must uninstall the window kit and exhaust hose and move them to the next room.
This air conditioner has some of the most advanced safety features, including thermal protection. Thermal protection is a critical feature that helps to prevent the air conditioner from overheating.
It would be wise to avoid using this air conditioner in bedrooms and other places where absolute silence is necessary. Its 50dB rating is relatively high, considering many other air conditioners with very low dB ratings of even less than 30.
- It has caster wheels for quick mobility
- Modern design with a black and white finish to enhance the look of your room
- The air conditioner has inbuilt safety features
- It isn’t quiet, with a dB rating of 50
10. NINGPU Portable Air Conditioner
The NINGPU Portable Air Conditioner is one of the safest air conditioners available on the market. It has various advanced safety features, including thermal protection.
The thermal protection feature prevents fire outbreaks if the air conditioner overheats because of an internal electric fault. Also, this air conditioner has ETL certification. Therefore, you can have peace of mind when using it in your home or any other place.
It is very convenient to operate this air conditioner. The remote control lets you change every aspect of this device. The LED display panel complements the remote control to make things easy for you when operating this air conditioner.
The NINGPU Portable Air Conditioner is a multifunction device. You can set it to operate as a conditioner or a dehumidifier, or a fan. It all depends on the prevailing weather conditions and your preference at any given time.
However, you have only two options for changing the speed of the fan. Although this is not a significant disadvantage, it may limit your options. Besides, many other air conditioners have three fan speed settings. The three fan speed options give you the freedom to adjust the air conditioner according to your preferences.
- Has inbuilt safety features and ETL certification
- It has three distinct functions: dehumidifying, cooling, and fanning
- It has a LED display
- The air conditioner has only two fan speed settings