The main advantage of installing 36000 BTU mini splits at your home or office is that you don’t need to pay for ductwork to get enough power to warm or cool your house.
These ductless air conditioners are also energy efficient, delivering a consistent and smooth flow of warm and cool air all year round. Each system can effectively warm or cool spaces between 1,200 to 2000 square feet, with some supporting multi-zone functions.
Here are 2021’s best 36000 BTU mini-splits worth buying today.
How Many Square Feet will a 36000 BTU Mini Split Cool?
When buying a mini-split for your home or business, sizing the system depending on your space’s size is crucial. That’s because choosing a smaller unit than your space will only result in inefficient operation and an uncomfortable home.
You’ll end up wasting energy and won’t notice the efficiency of your unit. That might lead to cold or hot spots in your room as the desired temperature won’t spread uniformly across the room.
With a 36000 BTU mini-split, your system doesn’t need to overwork to compensate for its inadequacy. These mini splits can cool or heat spaces ranging from 1,200 to 2000 square feet, although that might be divided across several rooms depending on the unit’s configuration.
For instance, if you have a dual-zone 36000 mini-split, then each indoor unit will pack 18000 BTU each, effectively controlling the temperature of two rooms ranging from 600-1000 square feet.
Do I Need a Mini Split for Every Room?
While you can’t use a single-zone mini split to condition your entire home’s temperature, you don’t need a mini-split for each room. However, many homeowners use multi-zone mini-splits to control the temperature of each room.
For instance, if you have a 36000 BTU mini-split with three indoor handlers (12000 BTU each), you can control the temperature of up to three rooms independently while using a single outdoor unit.
That means the number of rooms you can cool or heat with a multi-zone system depends on the number of indoor air handlers you have.
Single Room vs. Multi-Room Mini Split
As the name suggests, single-zone mini-splits only heat one room at a time, while multi-room systems support several rooms. However, the system you choose depends on your unique needs, location, and home insulation.
For instance, a single-zone 36000 BTU mini-split might come in handy for controlling the temperature in large basements or garages, but you can also choose a multi-zone to warm your entire household.
Why Choose a Single-Zone Mini Split?
- Easy installation – compared to multi-zone mini splits or the traditional duct system, single-zone are generally easier to install. That’s because there are only two main components to set up, and all you need is a 3-inch hole through your wall.
- Affordable cost – Due to the straightforward installation process, single-zone mini splits are less expensive to install than other options. Some brands also have DIY options for homeowners to install on their own.
Why Choose a Multi-Zone Mini Split?
- Fewer Outdoor systems – Being able to control multiple indoor air handlers using a single outdoor system is the main reason why most homeowners choose multi-zone mini-splits. That eliminates the hassle of installing an outdoor unit in each zone you need to cool or heat.
- Improves your home’s exterior appearance – Having multiple bulky outdoor compressor units negatively impacts your home’s exterior appearance. Fortunately, only one outdoor system can serve up to eight indoor air handlers, resulting in a pleasing exterior appearance of your home.
How many amps does a 36000 BTU Mini Split use?
With a 36000 BTU mini-split being a 3-ton system, it uses about 18.5 Amps to have enough power to heat four separate 350 square feet. The system works at around 220-240 Volts, meaning you’ll need a circuit breaker as required by the building regulation code.
What size Of breaker do you need for a 36000 BTU Mini Split?
With your AC’s current converted to DC form when it enters the system, your 36000 BTU mini-split will require 220 volts ac. That means installing a double 20-amp circuit breaker in your power supply or panel box to deliver 40 amps of power.
Fortunately, both the indoor and outdoor units pull very little current from your power supply, and that’s why they’re affordable to operate.
Other Things to Consider when Choosing 36000 BTU Mini Split
Choosing the right 36000 BTU mini splits is about more than picking the right configuration for the size of your rooms.
Besides room size, zoning and BTUs, here are other factors worth considering:
- Sunlight – If your room is heavily shaded, feel free to reduce the required cooling BTU by about 10%. However, if the room receives a lot of sunlight, you’ll need to increase the BTU required by 10%.
- Average Occupancy – When your room is regularly occupied by over two people, consider adding 600 BTU for each additional person. Human bodies also generate heat when together. Therefore it’s worth factoring out when choosing a 36000 BTU multi-zone mini split for your home.
- Climate – The climate significantly affects indoor temperatures. As such, you may want to consider a different option if you live in areas with high temperatures compared to homeowners in low temperatures. For instance, if you’re in a location where temperatures exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit in hot months, your system must be capable of increasing its BTU by 30%. Fortunately, multi-zone systems can do that as they can adjust depending on each indoor air handler’s energy needs.
- Your Home’s Age – When your home is old and poorly insulated, much energy is wasted in the process. That means you need more BTUs in your system to heat or cool your room. Homeowners with old spaces should consider increasing the estimated BTU requirements by about 30%.
- Floor-type – floor carpeting acts as part of your house’s insulation, making it easy to control indoor temperatures. However, homeowners with tile, hardwood, and stone floors will need their system to work more to heat the house.
- Room Function – Some rooms like the kitchen require bigger-sized units because they’re quite hard to control the indoor temperatures. That’s because kitchens are open spaces in general, with heat coming from your stove, ovens, and lighting.
- Light Bulbs – Lights generate heat when turned on, with certain types producing more heat than others. As such, you need to factor in whether you’ve installed many heat-producing bulbs in your house when thinking of sizing.
- Door and Windows – whether your windows and doors are properly insulated affects the BTU load of your system. The more the opening in your house, the more likely it is for air to leak and affect your 36000 BTU mini-split system’s performance.
Best 36000 BTU Mini Splits Reviews
1. Pioneer 36000 BTU Mini Split
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built perfect for home or light commercial use
- Comes with every needed component in the box, including an easy-install 16ft copper piping kit
- Use for both cooling and heating: 12000 BTU/hour with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the compressor
- Voltage 110 120 VAC 60 Hz (standard household power l-n-g)
With a 10 HSPF rating and 16 SEER rating, the Pioneer 36000 BTU mini-split is a highly efficient air conditioner designed to deliver comfort all year long.
This powerful ductless air conditioner is ideal for large spaces like your basement, making it the perfect solution for cooling, dehumidifying, and heating room reaching up to 1200 square feet.
Pioneer has included some impressive energy reduction features in the mini-split, giving you excellent performance without draining your energy bills. Even better, the included remote control makes it easy to operate all the convenience features included.
Besides efficient and ultra-quiet operation, other convenience features in the Pioneer 36K BTU mini-split include a programmable timer and angled airflow.
You can also use the optional Wi-Fi control to operate it from anywhere using your smartphone. However, this pioneer mini split requires professional installation, although there’s a DIY kit included in the package.
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Efficient operation with a 16 SEER rating
- Multiple operation modes for year-long comfort
- Wi-Fi control available
- Professional installation required
- Expensive for some users
2. MRCOOL DIY 36K BTU Mini Split
- New SmartHVAC app: Wi-Fi control - compatible with Alexa and Google assistant - you can control your DIY anywhere with your Apple or android smart device and an Internet connection. Auto restart: never lift a finger - power outage? don’t worry, the
- Easy DIY installation: 25ft quick connect line doesn't require special tools, equipment, or training. Gold fin condenser: corrosion resistant - live on the coast? don’t worry, our condenser is built to resist long term corrosion
- Variable-speed DC inverter compressor technology increases energy efficiency compared to other mini-split air conditioning units . SLEEP mode on remote: Sleep mode will automatically adjust the temperature to maximize comfort during night time sleep. When
- Low ambient cooling: cooling down to 5°F - this feature makes the McCool DIY the ideal system for computer server rooms, greenhouses, and any other application that requires cooling all year. Follow me feature: by pressing the 'follow me' button and keep
- LEAKAGE DETECTION: Protecting Your Investment - When the MRCOOL DIY detects low coolant an alarm will sound to alert you to the problem. This will prevent damage to the compressor while you maintain high air comfort.
The MRCOOL 36K mini-split comes as an affordable solution to maintain any large room’s temperature without the costly installation cost. The system is designed for a DIY installation, with multiple operating modes that will keep any large room comfortable all year round.
This Wi-Fi-enabled 36000 BTU mini-split is easy to control from anywhere, and you can also integrate it with your current home digital assistant, including Alexa and Google Assistant. Even better, its programable thermostat helps you set and maintain the AC at your desired temperature.
The MRCOOL 36000 BTU mini-split is also easy to maintain thanks to its self-cleaning evaporator. Its automatic restart feature resumes your previous operation settings after a power outage, with the sleep mode automatically adjusting the fan speed to keep you comfortable while conserving energy at night.
Unfortunately, this 16 SEER mini split doesn’t offer multi-zone temperature control.
- Easy DIY installation
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon’s Alexa
- Low ambient cooling
- Leakage detection to prevent compressor damage
- It doesn’t support multi-zone cooling/heating
3. Senville 36K BTU Quad-Zone Mini Split
- 22.5 SEER - With Heat Pump, Turbo Mode, Ionizing Air Filter, Dehumidification, Timer Function, Follow Me Function.
- (4) 9000BTU Indoor Units (1) 36000BTU Outdoor Unit (4) Remote Controls
- Inverter Technology - Help to Reduce Energy Consumption by Up to 30%. It Also Helps to Extend Heating Capacity up to -22°F / -30° C
- Includes Four (4) Installation Kits with a 16-Foot Line Set and Wiring Harness
- Industry Leading 7 Year Warranty on Compressor / 3 Year Warranty on Parts.
When looking for a multi-zone air conditioning system that can control the temperature of up to four rooms, the Senvile 36000 quad-zone multi-split is the solution for you.
This highly advanced mini-split has a 22.5 SEER rating, with several high-end features like turbo mode, dehumidification, ionizing air filter, Follow Me Function, timer function, and more.
The 36000 BTU Senville Aura surpasses many leading brands in its operation, making it among the quietest and most efficient air conditioning systems in the market.
Besides a comfortable overall experience for you and your neighbors, the Senville Aura split air condition system is Wi-Fi-ready and can be controlled from any iOS or Android phone.
This ductless system packs multiple diagnostics features, including leak detection, self-cleaning, and diagnostics display. Senville also put an emphasis on the affordability and efficiency of the system, using an inverter compressor that minimizes your energy costs.
Additionally, the system promises great durability by its design, backed by a 3-year warranty on parts and seven years on the compressor.
- Efficient inverter technology backed by a 7-year warranty
- Energy-star certified for efficiency
- Durable design with robust construction materials
- Wi-Fi ready for easy control
- The warranty doesn’t cover labor costs
4. Senville 36K Dual Zone Mini Split
- DC Inverter Technology for Ultra High Efficiency and Performance
- High Quality Design for an Attractive Appearance, Powerful Performance,and Dependable Durability
- Uses 208-230V, ETL Intertek Approved, Energy Star Certified, AHRI Certified
- Includes Easy Installation Kit with 16 Ft. Copper Line Set
- Whisper Technology for Quiet Operation, Great for Bedrooms, Additions,Living Rooms and Commercial Applications.
Whether you’re looking to retrofit or install a new system that can guarantee both efficiency and durability, then Senville is the brand you need to consider. This dual-zone mini-split from Senville is among the most advanced split units on the market, with a 22.5 seer rating and lots of convenience features.
As a dual-zone ductless air conditioner, the system features two 18000 BTU indoor handlers connected to a single outdoor system that’s quieter than most competitors.
This Senville mini-split is great for office or residential use, but its low-temperature operation also makes it work in sensitive places like the server room. That’s because it continues cooling the temperature in spaces measuring up to -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
This dual-zone system is easy to use, with the auto mode setting pairing your desired temperature with the room’s temperature to achieve the best operating mode.
It also supports angled airflow to manually set the flow’s horizontal angle and adjust the vertical airflow using a remote control.
- Highly durable design
- Energy-efficient and eco-conscious
- Self-cleaning and leak detection system
- Minimally audible noise when operating
- Hard to maintain when mounted
- Warranty doesn’t cover labor costs
5. Pioneer Air Conditioner Inverter
- Ultra high efficiency DC Inverter+ Ducted Split Ceiling Concealed Heat Pump system. Horizontal Recessed Mounting
- Complete system set consisting of; Indoor Unit, Outdoor Unit and Installation Kit
- 36,000 BTU/h Cooling Capacity with 15.5 SEER High Efficiency Rating
- 38,000 BTU/h Heating Capacity with 10.5 HSPF High Efficiency Rating
- Voltage: 208~230 VAC, 60 Hertz, 1 Phase. For other specks see all pictures provided
With a durable exterior unit made of galvanized metal and electrostatic epoxy paint construction, this highly efficient unit from Pioneer can offer you comfort for years.
The indoor unit also boasts a heavy gauge steel casing in a compact unit, saving you the much-needed floor space. A|s such, this single-zone ductless unit is perfect for the average household or office.
This ceiling mountable mini-split comes with a large LCD display, with an optional wired programmable thermostat at an extra cost. The outside unit also promises quiet operation, with low ambient heaters that heat temperatures as low as -5 degrees Fahrenheit.
When it comes to installation, the system packs a complete 16-inch kit for easy set-up. However, you’ll need to pay for the installation cost and buy an evaporate drain hose as it’s not included in the package. Nonetheless, this compact mini-split is worth all the money.
- Ultra-high efficiency inverter
- 10.5 High-efficiency rating and 15.5 SEER rating
- Supports a digital wired remote thermostat
- Compact and durable construction
- Needs professional installation
- No multi-zone function
6. Gree Vireo+ 36K BTU Ductless Mini Split
- Items included: Condenser and Indoor Wall mount with remote | Required, but NOT included: 1/4" x 5/8" Line set | Other accessories sold separately.
- The new VIREO+ Wall Mount units brings dramatic new performance and style to every room. Never before has it been so easy to maintain constant indoor comfort, no matter the outdoor conditions. Vireo+ has you covered with a multitude of features that help you live well and stay comfortable, all controlled easily - either with the wireless infrared remote controller or optional wired controller.
- Gree Vireo+ has an option to upgrade to Universal Wi-Fi Technology by purchasing the Wi-Fi Kit WSBEC04. With this kit, you will be able to control your unit from your smartphones or tablets anywhere, as long as you have Wi-Fi access. With the advanced I FEEL mode, for example, Vireo+ senses the temperature surrounding the remote controller, then adjusts airflow and temperature accordingly to create maximum comfort in all the right places.
- In heating mode, the system guards against bothersome chills with its intelligent pre-heating feature, which delays the fan until the coil has warmed up to keep it from blowing cold air into the room. Every part of the room can stay comfortable by adjusting vertical swing louvers in multiple directions, including continuous sweep.
- And three different sleep modes automatically adjust the temperature to guarantee a good nights rest. With four different fan speeds for maximum comfort and whisper quiet operation, you won't even notice how hard Vireo+ is working to keep you comfortable.
Not many mini splits on the market can deliver an elegant design without a hefty price or sacrificing some power. However, the Gree Vireo+ 36K BTU mini-split delivers an excellent performance in a modern system with rugged construction for durability.
The Gree 36K ductless mini-split packs state-of-the-art G10 inverter technology that can deliver quiet whisper operation. This ductless mini-split also rocks a multi-speed fan, with inbuild Wi-Fi support for easier control using your smartphone. Even better, Gree included a Blue Fin condenser and an intelligent defrost system for all-year performance.
For comfort during the night, the Vireo+ mini-split comes with three different sleep modes that automatically adjust your room temperature to give you a good rest. Even better, you can keep every part of your room comfortable by adjusting the system’s vertical swing louvers in different directions.
- Eco-friendly refrigerant
- Highly efficient multi-zone inverter
- Optimized fan coated with anti-corrosion material
- Sleek and durable design
- Slightly bulky outdoor unit
7. Cooper & Hunter 36K BTU Ductless Mini Split
- Includes Pre-Charged Inverter Compressor and Air Handler with Remote
- Covers Up to 2000 Sq. Ft.
- Cooling Capacity: 36,000 BTU - Heating Capacity: 36,000 BTU
- High Efficiency - 16 SEER
- Installation Kit Not Included
With a high-efficiency compressor, this affordable mini-split from Cooper & Hunter is an excellent pick for your office or home.
Unlike many systems at this price range, this ductless air conditioner delivers great durability, backed by a seven-year warranty on your compressor and five years on parts. However, you’ll need to pay extra for the labor.
This top-of-the-line ductless mini-split delivers an incredibly quiet operation, always purring in the background instead of using the noisy power cycling technology.
Even better, this Cooper & Hunter ductless mini-split is packed with user-friendly features like turbo mode for quick conditioning, 24-hour timer, and sleep mode.
This 16-SEER mini-split also boasts an intelligent defrosting system alongside other convenience features. The unit’s inverter compressor comes pre-charged, with a remote controller to help you operate the air handler.
However, there’s no installation kit included, so you’ll need to hire a professional HVAC expert.
- Affordable price range
- Highly efficient compressor
- Incredibly quiet performance
- Intelligent defrosting, turbo mode, and a 24-hour timer
- No multi-zone function
36000 BTU mini-splits are available in different configurations, ranging from single-zone systems to multi-zone units.
Most homeowners prefer choosing multi-zone systems as they can control the temperatures of small to medium spaces, but you should consider a single-zone unit if you’re planning to install it in a room ranging up to 2000 square feet. Fortunately, this 36000 BTU mini-splits buying guide has all you need to make the right decision.