Are you looking for a ductless air conditioning system that will efficiently cool or heat your home or office’s indoor temperatures?
Well, 18000 BTU mini splits are a popular choice for many homeowners looking for an efficient temperature control solution in the average living room, garage, kitchen, or bedroom.
Here are 2021’s best 18000 BTU mini-splits that perform excellently well in rooms ranging between 700 and 1000 sq ft.
How Many Square Feet will an 18000 BTU Mini Split Cool?
An 18K BTU mini-split is ideal for cooling medium to large rooms ranging from 600-1000 square feet. However, some powerful systems can effectively cool larger rooms, although that might depend on your room’s insulation and outside temperatures.
Essentially, it takes a 7000 BTU mini-split system to control the temperatures of a 300 sq foot room comfortably, while a 1000 sq foot room needs an 18K BTU mini or a 24000 BTU system if you need more power.
How Many Zones can an 18000 BTU Mini Split Cool?
Most 18K BTU mini-split systems on the market today are designed for a single zone, although there are units like the Senville SENA-18Mo-209 that can heat dual zones.
That means you’ll get two indoor air handlers hooked to a single outdoor compressor to independently control the two rooms’ temperatures. With an 18K BTU dual-zone mini split, you get two 9000 BTUs for different heating rooms, depending on your preference.
However, if you’re looking to control the temperatures in more rooms, you might need a more powerful system like a 27000 BTU or a 36000 BTU multi-zone mini split in any configuration.
Can an 18000 BTU Mini Split Cool a Whole House?
Whether an 18000 BTU mini split can effectively cool your entire home depends on the size and the available insulation. For instance, if your house only has two small rooms, then you’ll only need a dual-zone 18K BTU mini-split with two 9000 BTU indoor air handlers.
However, an 18K BTU mini split can only heat a single area like the kitchen or the basement.
How Many Amps does an 18000 BTU Mini Split Use?
The electrical current required to run your mini-split is directly proportional to the amount of cash that your air conditioning system will contribute to your utility bills.
For 18000 BTU mini-splits, you can expect the system to draw anywhere between 13.04 amps and 19.57 amps. However, some ductless mini splits are more efficient than others, and thereby they can save you more money on your electrical bills.
Best Places To Install Ductless Mini Splits?
When looking to replace your old air conditioning system with a simple and effective solution, you must be wondering what’s the best place to install your ductless system.
Fortunately, you can install the system’s indoor air handlers anywhere in your home. However, you’ll need to know the best location to install each of the system’s two main components.
Indoor Air Handler(s)
With the indoor air handler, you can install the unit anywhere you’re targeting comfort in your home. That includes your living room, kitchen, a hard to condition room, or new addition in your house that lacks ductwork.
However, the number of indoor air handlers you need to install depends on your home’s comfort needs. That means you might need to install multiple units.
No matter where you decide to install your mini-split, remember that every installation location must be close to an exterior wall. That’s the wall running along your home’s exterior, with at least two inches of space left above each indoor unit.
A shady area without direct sunlight is the best place to install a heat pump condenser. The outdoor condenser also needs a place that’s directly adjacent to your home, away from any vegetation or shrubs that can affect the airflow.
Some users might also prefer to mount the outdoor unit on the exterior wall using stand-off mounting brackets.
If you choose to mount your outdoor mini-split unit, ensure there’s at least a five-inch space left between the unit and the wall. You also need to leave at least 20 inches above it.
However, a professional HVAC expert can help you determine the best mounting option for your entire system if you’re not experienced.
Keys To Successful Mini Split Installation
Mini-splits promise a relatively more straightforward installation process than traditional air conditioning systems, although installing a new ductless system requires proper planning and preparation work for efficiency.
Here are the top five tips to help you successfully install your new 18000 BTU mini-split in your home or office.
- Select An Installation Spot That Supports The Weight Of Your System
Installing your system in the most study spot in your home or office is a crucial first step that any user will want to pay attention to.
Fortunately, most indoor air handlers come in a lightweight package that weighs between 30 and 50 pounds, making it easy to mount on your wall.
However, users are advised to choose a set-up location that minimizes the ceiling or wall damage while reducing excessive vibration from the system. That means choosing a spot that’s solid enough to support the weight of your chosen system.
The outdoor air compressor system is relatively heavier than the indoor air handler, weighing between 80 and 250 pounds. That makes them relatively large compared to the indoor component, calling for solid support that can effectively hold the weight of your system.
As a user, consider setting up the outdoor system on concrete level ground or pad to support your unit’s weight in the long run.
- Install The Indoor Air Handler(S) Away From Obstructions
Choosing a spot for installing the interior unit might pose a few challenges, but it’s not as hard as it might seem for beginners. Many homeowners consider setting up their systems behind furniture and other obstructing materials to conceal their presence, but doing that isn’t advisable from an efficient point of view.
By setting up your mini-split behind any obstruction, you impede the system’s ability to efficiently cool or heat your room. That means choosing a location that’s at least a meter away from obstructions, ensuring that temperature-controlled air flows freely throughout your room.
- Select a Spot that Isn’t Affected by Temperature Fluctuations
Mini-split air conditioning systems boast an inverter technology that increases the comfort level of your space while helping cut down your utility bills when installed properly.
Since most units can change their settings depending on your room’s temperature, it’s vital to avoid installing the system in a spot that’s affected by constant temperature fluctuations.
For instance, setting up your 18000 BTU mini-split in a spot that faces the sunlight directly will make the sensor pickup temperatures that are slightly higher than your room’s average temperature.
- Ensure There’s No Electromagnetic Interference
Besides installing your ductless air conditioner away from areas affected by temperature fluctuations, consider installing the systems in spots without electromagnetic interference. In most homes, areas that get the most electromagnetic interference include areas next to Bluetooth speakers, microwaves, computer sensors, cordless telephones, and other modern devices emitting electromagnetic signals.
When a ductless mini-split is set up near electromagnetic devices, the interference might impede its effectiveness and prevent it from working properly. Fortunately, installing the system at least a meter away from such devices ensures they operate correctly.
- Determine Your System’s Ideal Height
Placement is a crucial factor that ensures your system operates at optimal effectiveness when installed. The system may fail to operate well if placed too high or too low, as it won’t distribute the air properly throughout the room. However, the ideal height for your ductless air conditioning system will depend on the configuration.
A wall-mounted mini-split should be set at least six feet high, with at least two feet of space on the upper side. That means walls less than seven feet tall aren’t suitable for installing a mini-split system.
On the other hand, a floor mount mini split needs to stand only six feet from the ground. Nonetheless, reading the installation manual is a crucial step as clearance requirements might differ.
- Consider Where The Condensate Pump Goes Before The Installation
As a homeowner, it’s important to consider where the condensate pump will go before you start installing your mini-split. The condensate pump is crucial for most mini-split systems to eliminate the water formed during the cooling or heating process.
Choosing where to set up the pump before you install the indoor air handler helps to guarantee optimal placement on a spot that won’t lead to disruption from the noise produced during heating and cooling.
6 Best 18000 BTU Mini Splits Reviews
1. Pioneer WYS018G-19 Air Conditioner
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating: 18000 BTU/hour, with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Comes with every needed component in the box, including an easy-install 16ft. copper piping kit
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the parts and compressor
The Pioneer WYS018G-19 is a superior single-zone mini-split assembled with the latest technology for optimal comfort, superior efficiency, and unmatched performance.
You can expect this ductless indoor unit comes with a sleek flat front panel with a dimmable LED display and automatic swing air discharge louvers.
Other impressive features include a multi-speed fan motor, permanent washable air filters, and whisper-quiet operation for comfort. Thanks to its wireless remote control, setting your room’s temperature should be pretty easy.
The outdoor heat pump unit also comes in a robust construction made of galvanized metal for the durability of its variable-speed, highly efficient inverter compressor. Additionally, it delivers a quiet operation with a single point of power entry.
For installation, Pioneer has included a 16-inch kit that makes everything smooth for any handy homeowner. However, some units don’t come pre-charged, although their support team offers excellent customer service. Additionally, you can hire a professional HVAC expert for the installation.
- Powerful performance
- Optimal comfort and superior efficiency
- Durable metal construction with an attractive design
- Convenient remote controller
- Affordable price range
- Some units don’t come pre-charged
2. Senville SENL-18CD Mini Split
- ALEXA ENABLED MINI SPLIT AC/HEATING SYSTEM: Seamlessly integrate with voice control or app, allowing you to adjust your mini split air conditioner from anywhere. Set routines for optimal temperature changes, boasting energy savings up to 40%.
- VERSATILE 4-IN-1 MINI SPLIT: Dive into an all-season solution with our mini split AC and heating system, featuring air conditioning, a robust heat pump (functional up to 5F/-15C), dehumidifier, fan, and an accelerated turbo function. Enjoy the reliability of a DC Inverter that's UL Listed, AHRI Certified, and Works with Alexa.
- STYLISH & FUNCTIONAL MINI SPLIT AC: Crafted for both home and business, this mini split air conditioner provides dynamic performance without compromising on aesthetics. Ideal for bedrooms, living areas, commercial spaces like stores, eateries, and warehouses.
- COMPLETE INSTALLATION PACKAGE: Comes with an indoor air handler, outdoor condenser, intuitive remote control, and a comprehensive installation kit featuring a 16ft. line set and communication wire. Pre-loaded with R410A refrigerant catering up to 25 ft. A heads-up: This system mandates professional installation – it's not a DIY mini split AC.
- TRUST WORTHY 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Your investment is safeguarded with our mini split heat pump's industry-leading warranty – 5 years on parts replacement and another 5 on the compressor. Benefit from the established quality of Senville, complemented by complimentary technical assistance. Labor not included.
Powerful, efficient, and affordable. That’s what the Senville SENL-18CD mini-split offers to anyone looking for a great 18,000 BTU air conditioning system to heat your home all year round.
The system is designed with cutting-edge inverter technology, allowing you to efficiently improve the comfort of rooms reaching up to 1000 square feet.
Some of the qualities that customers love about the SENL-18CD mini-split include the whisper-quiet technology that delivers silent operation at any time. That makes the Senville SENL-18CD an excellent choice for living rooms, bedrooms, and light office work.
Measuring 29.9 x 11.2 x 23.3 inches and weighing about 7.6 pounds, this mini split is lightweight and small enough to handle limited manpower. That makes the set-up easy, and you can even handle the project with basic DIY skills, unlike with many 18000 BTU mini-splits.
- It packs an intuitive remote controller
- Ultra-quiet indoor component
- Low-cost option
- Multi-directional air vents fantastic for large spaces
- It doesn’t come pre-charged with the refrigerant
- The packaging can be confusing
3. Senville SENA-18MO-209 Dual-Zone Mini Split
- PERFECT FOR MULTIPLE ROOMS: Comes with multiple indoor air handlers for individual rooms and a single outdoor unit. Enjoy individual temperature controls in each room for ideal climate control.
- ALEXA ENABLED: Use voice or app control to control your air conditioner from anywhere. Use routines to adjust temperature settings while you are away and enjoy energy savings of up to 40%.
- DESIGNED FOR HOME & BUSINESS: Powerful performance and dependable durability with high quality design for an attractive appearance. Great for bedrooms, additions, living rooms, and even commercial applications like stores, restaurants and warehouses.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Backed by an industry leading manufacturer’s warranty, with 5 years on parts replacement and 10 years on compressor. Trusted quality and design by Senville, with free technical & installation support included.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Includes indoor air handlers, outdoor condenser and installation kit with 16ft. line set and communication wire. Important note: requires professional installation.
With an impressive 22.5 SEER rating and a host of other convenient features, the Senville SENA-18MO-209 is the best 18K BTU dual-zone system on the market.
Some of the best features included for advanced heating and cooling in multiple rooms include a variable speed compressor, quick cooling mode, and more.
The Senville SENA-18MO-209 mini split also boasts a user-friendly design, with the featured remote putting complete comfort a click away.
The auto mode allows the system to choose the right operating mode (heating, cooling, or fan-only) to achieve the perfect indoor temperature. You can switch on the night mode to save energy and sleep comfortably as the temperature gradually increases or decrease.
For the set-up, the outdoor unit is hooked to two 9K BTU indoor air handlers that can cool two medium rooms. The outdoor Inverter compressor is also more efficient and quieter than most competitors, making it ideal for homes and other sensitive rooms.
Even better, the Senvile SENA-18MO-209 is a Wi-Fi-ready mini split that can work with temperatures as low as -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Energy conscious heating with a 10.3 HSP
- Great for sensitive areas like a server room
- Efficient and quiet inverter compressor
- Wi-Fi ready with a remote thermostat
- Not ideal for large rooms
- Installation instructions might be hard to follow
4. DuctlessAire 18K BTU Mini Split
- Energy Star 21 SEER, Variable Speed Inverter Compressor, Complete Package!!! 25 ft Full Installation Kit! R410a Pre-charged! Wifi capable
When looking to cool or heat a large room under a budget, the DuctlessAire 18K BTU mini-split should be among your top choices.
Besides being budget-friendly, you’ll like how easy it is to install this ductless mini-split, although the instruction book is sparse. Nonetheless, the mounting templates are excellent, and it’s easy to mount both indoor and outdoor units.
For easy set-up, the system comes with a 25 feet full installation kit that’s DIY friendly, although you can hire an HVAC installation company. This energy star-rated mini split has a 21 SEER rating, providing supreme operation excellence and whisper-quiet operation.
The DuctlessAire mini-split also boasts environmentally friendly technology, making it the ultimate cooling and heating solution under a budget.
This competitively priced mini-split also comes ready for Wi-Fi connectivity, putting your room’s temperature controls on your fingertips. However, don’t expect a multi-zone mini-split.
- Easy installation at home or office
- Environmentally friendly technology included
- Available at a competitive price
- Superior quality construction
- No Multi-zone performance
- Instructions are a little hard to understand
5. MRCOOL 18K BTU DIY Ductless Mini Split
- New SmartHVAC app: Wi-Fi control - compatible with Alexa and Google assistant - you can control your DIY anywhere with your Apple or android smart device and an Internet connection. Auto restart: never lift a finger - power outage? don’t worry, the McCool DIY auto restart will have the unit running again in no time at all
- Easy DIY installation: 25ft quick connect line doesn't require special tools, equipment, or training. Gold fin condenser: corrosion resistant - live on the coast? don’t worry, our condenser is built to resist long term corrosion
- Variable-speed DC inverter compressor technology increases energy efficiency compared to other mini-split air conditioning units . SLEEP mode on remote: Sleep mode will automatically adjust the temperature to maximize comfort during night time sleep. When in COOL mode, the unit will increase the temperature by 2°F after 1 hour, and will increase an additional 2°F after another hour. When in HEAT mode, the unit will decrease the temperature by 2°F after 1 hour, and will decrease an additional 2°F after another hour. After 7 hours operating in SLEEP mode, the system will switch off automatically.
- Low ambient cooling: cooling down to 5°F - this feature makes the McCool DIY the ideal system for computer server rooms, greenhouses, and any other application that requires cooling all year. Follow me feature: by pressing the 'follow me' button and keep
- LEAKAGE DETECTION: Protecting Your Investment - When the MRCOOL DIY detects low coolant an alarm will sound to alert you to the problem. This will prevent damage to the compressor while you maintain high air comfort.
For homeowners looking for a ductless mini-split that you can install with only basic DIY skills, the MRCOOL 18K BTU ductless air conditioning system is the answer.
This powerful air conditioner has a 20- SEER rating for its energy efficiency and can control temperatures in spaces reaching up to 750 square feet.
Even better, the outdoor system gives you a wide variety of installation options, while the indoor air handler comes ready to mount on the wall seamlessly.
If you’re living near the coast and you’re concerned about saltwater damaging your air conditioning unit, the 3rd Generation mini-split from MRCOOL ensures you’re fully covered.
The system features a Gold Fin Condenser, designed to withstand prolonged salt exposure and resist corrosion. The system condensers also feature durable materials that help to reduce repair costs.
With MRCOOL 18K BTU mini-split, interruptions are kept to a minimum. The 20 SEER system runs smoothly and quietly all day long, with an automatic horizontal louver to cool or warm your room evenly.
You can also trust your system to restart as quickly as possible when power is restored automatically. Additionally, the control is put at your fingertips using the included remote and digital assistants like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Easy DIY Installation
- Personalized performance for maximum comfort
- Low ambient cooling
- Corrosion-resistant Gold Fin condenser
- Leakage detection to prevent compressor damage
- Online warranty registration is required
- Installation manual could be more accurate
6. Daikin 18K Wall-Mounted Mini Split
No products found.
With a reliable design and an anti-corrosion exterior, the Daikin 18K mini-split is among the most durable ductless air conditioning systems on the market.
You can trust this 18000 BTU ductless mini-split to work excellently in tough conditions, backed by a long 10-year warranty. Additionally, this powerful single-zone system can effectively control the temperature in large rooms and basements, reaching up to 1600 square feet.
Unlike many ductless air conditioners, the Daikin 18K BTU mini split can cool your room in temperatures ranging from 50 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit and heat from 5 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. The outdoor compressor leaves all the noise outside, giving you a near-silent operation in your room.
Other interesting features that Daikin has included in this mini split include four fan speeds, instant cooling and heating, auto swing, and auto restart.
You can also activate the ECO+ mode for the system to maintain an efficient energy consumption level once you’ve set your desired temperature levels.
Additionally, the system removes all the impurities from the air using its modern air cleaning filter, helping to maintain a hygienic atmosphere.
- Great durability backed by a 10-year warranty
- Reliable design with anti-corrosion exteriors
- Powerful single-zone performance
- Four fan speeds with instant cooling and heating
- Not Ideal for DIY installation (no installation package)
- Customer service could be better
18000 BTU mini splits offer extremely versatile installation options and can efficiently warm medium to large rooms. While most units on this list are single-zone systems, homeowners can also get 18K BTU mini splits in other configurations to warm several rooms in your home.
However, you might need an HVAC professional to help you with proper placement and installation.
Other Related Articles