Do you have rooms in your home that are always hotter or colder than the rest of the home?
While there are many reasons for this problem, one of the major causes is having an undersized or oversized air conditioning or heating unit.
I have a solution for you – mini-split systems. The best 4 zone mini split heat pump is the solution for keeping your home comfortable all year round without facing temperature inconsistencies.
A 4 zone mini split has one outdoor compressor unit and four air handling units. You can control each room individually because each indoor unit has its own thermostat.
If you don’t have four rooms to cool or heat, you can choose a single, dual, trio, quint zone, or even more. The advantage is that these units are very quiet and require much less to operate.
Best 4 Zone Mini Split
1. Senville SENA-36HF/Q Quad Zone Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- 22.5 SEER - With Heat Pump, Turbo Mode, Ionizing Air Filter, Dehumidification, Timer Function, Follow Me Function.
- (4) 9000BTU Indoor Units (1) 36000BTU Outdoor Unit (4) Remote Controls
- Inverter Technology - Help to Reduce Energy Consumption by Up to 30%. It Also Helps to Extend Heating Capacity up to -22°F / -30° C
- Includes Four (4) Installation Kits with a 16-Foot Line Set and Wiring Harness
- Industry Leading 7 Year Warranty on Compressor / 3 Year Warranty on Parts.
Senville is one of the best companies delivering trusted and high-quality ductless air conditioning products. One of their releases is Senville Quad Zone Mini Split Air Conditioner that comes with four 9,000 BTU air handlers.
Like many other mini-split systems, this unit can be used both in summer and winter to distribute either cold or hot air across your living room or bedroom. It also has an inbuilt dehumidifier that will remove excess moisture from the room and a fan to circulate air and prevent stuffiness.
Senville Quad Zone Mini Split Air Conditioner is energy efficient with a SEER rating of 22.5 and utilizes an inverter technology that limits its energy usage.
It’s quiet thanks to Senville Aura, a technology designed to ensure it operates with minimal audible noise as possible. You can, therefore, have one indoor unit in your bedroom or any quiet room.
One feature that I like is the FOLLOW ME remote. That means you don’t have to be exactly in the room you want to adjust the temperature or any other settings. Other features include a programmable timer, ionizing air filter to keep your indoor air clean.
Since this is a great investment, the company offers a 7-year warranty for the compressor and a 2 years warranty for all other parts.
- Reduces energy consumption
- It gives even air distribution in your rooms
- It operates quietly
- It is very easy to install and operate
- It is relatively large
- It has poor side louvers
2. Gree MULTI30CVIR40 Quad-Zone Wall Mount Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- Required, but not included: 1/4" x 3/8" line set (x2) & 1/4" x 1/2" line set (x2) | Items included: Condenser and Indoor Wall Mounts with remote. Other accessories sold separately.
- The Gree Multi21+ Quad-Zone VIREO 30,000 BTU System is powered by Gree's G10 inverter-driven compressor and eco-friendly R410A refrigerant. These units can heat and cool 4 zones without distribution boxes. Our G10 inverter technology saves energy, reduces outdoor noise and keeps room temperature steady by eliminating the harsh starts & stops of conventional systems.
- The Multi21+ Vireo Wall Mount has a compact design that blends well with any decor. Comes with built-in Wi-Fi allowing you to remotely control the unit with your smartphone.
- The perfect option for your home or office needs.
- SEER: 21.0000 -- EER: 12.5000 -- Room Size: 1,000 - 1,650 ft2
If you’re looking to heat or cool four zones between 1000 to 1650 square feet without using distribution boxes, try Gree MULTI30CVIR40. It’s versatile, easy to use, efficient, and designed to blend well with your interior decor.
Apart from its 12.5 Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) and 21 Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER), this split system is powered by GREE’s energy-efficient G10 inverter and a variable-speed compressor. That means it’s not only energy-efficient but reaches your desired temperature much faster and maintains consistent comfort levels.
While you can use the remote to control the unit from anywhere, you can achieve a lot more by upgrading to Universal WIFI and smartphone control.
With this feature, you can adjust the temperature of change settings from anywhere using your smartphone as long as you have WIFI access. The system is compatible with devices using standard Android or IOS operating systems.
Air-conditioned rooms can sometimes get stuffy. For that reason, you can turn on the fan mode that has up to four speeds. You won’t have to worry about noise because the unit runs quietly and has a low decibel rating of 59.
To keep the air inside the room fresh, Gree MULTI30CVIR40 has air filters that will eliminate 99.9% of the contaminants in the air and bad odor around your room.
- Low operational noise
- High energy efficient
- Easy to clean
- Designed to blend well in most interior decor
- Requires professional intervention during installation
- WiFi kit accessories sold separately
3. COOPER AND HUNTER Quad 4 Zone Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- High efficiency Inverter 22.5 SEER Ductless Multi Split Quad (4) Zone Heat Pump System
- 36,000 BTU condenser with 12000 + 12000 + 12000 + 12000 Wall Mount Air Handers
- Works for heating with ambient temperature up to -13F°
- Includes 4 Installation Kits 25ft each with Copper Line Set, Accessories and Communication Wires
- Quiet Operation, Great for Bedrooms, Additions,Living Rooms and Commercial Applications.
With 48,000 BTUs of combined heating and cooling power, this MRCOOL Four Zone Mini Split a single outdoor unit and four indoor handlers with 9000, 12000, 12000, 24000 BTUs.
Cool and heat a small room between 350 to 400 square feet with the 9,000 BTU indoor handler. For two medium rooms between 500 to 550 square feet, install the 12,000 BTUs. However, for large rooms, including living rooms and basements up to 1,500 square feet, use the 24,000 BTU unit.
Like many other MRCOOL mini-split systems, this model is equipped with the MRCOOL Smart Wi-Fi Kit so you can control and monitor it from anywhere using the MRCOOL SmartHVAC App, which can download from iTunes or Google Play.
It’s simple to set up using the included 4 installation kits with copper line sets, accessories, and communication wires. I wouldn’t recommend installing it yourself unless you’re a skilled DIYer.
It’s also energy efficient with 21.5 SEER rating, quiet, uses 208-230V, and not the standard outlet. It’s ETL Intertek Approved and AHRI Certified, which makes it energy-efficient and safe for use indoor use.
- Highly efficient
- Remotely controlled
- Quiet operation
- Installation is not easy
4. Air-Con 4 Zone Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump
- ENJOY A COMFY HOME no matter the outside temperature. Heat, cool and dehumidify up to 2400 sf with our multi zone mini split when outside temperatures are as low as 5F.
- SAVE YOUR MONEY. A whisper quiet ductless mini split air conditioner uses very little electricity. No more power guzzling starts and stops. Save up to 60% with this high efficiency power mizer.
- TOTAL PEACE OF MIND. You'll never, ever worry about an AC problem with our 7/5 year warranty, 30 day money back guarantee, and U.S. based replacement parts and technical service.
- LASTS A LONG TIME. AirCon cuts no corners with production quality. None. Your new mini split air conditioner - heat pump is built with the highest pro-grade components from top to bottom.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED. You’ll receive the outside compressor, which is already fully charged with refrigerant, four air handlers, and four remotes. LINESETS AND WIRING ARE NOT INCLUDED.
Air-Con 4 Zone Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump provides energy-efficient, on-demand comfort for bedrooms, basements, living rooms, and other rooms up to 24,000 square feet.
It has 4 individual indoor air handlers (12k + 12k + 12k + 12k) and remote controls for individual room comfort. Each indoor unit connects to the single outdoor condenser, which is already fully charged with refrigerant via a line set that is bought separately.
Apart from cooling, this unit can maintain the right levels of humidity by removing excess moisture. For instant and fast cooling and heating, turn on the Turbo mode. At night, you can sleep comfortably without having to wake up to adjust the temperature or switch off the unit because the sleep mode does that for you.
Easy to operate, Air-Con 4 Zone Mini Split is packed with an impressive array of user-friendly features, including horizontal auto-swings, Wi-Fi enabled control, 24-hour timer with last-setting memory, auto-reset for power interruptions, and auto-clean function to prevent mold and mildew infestation.
- Easy to install
- Highly efficient
- Whisper quiet
5. Klimaire 4 Zone Inverter Air Conditioner Multi-Split Heat Pump
- Klimaire ultra highly efficient 4-Zone 21.5 SEER ductless mini-split inverter system includes 2 indoor units with remote control, an outdoor unit, and 4 - 25 ft. installation kits. Each indoor cool or heats an area up to 550 sq. ft.
- Outdoor Unit is pre-charged and accommodates up to 25 ft length of refrigerant lines. Latest design rotary compressor and built-in crankcase heater ensures compressor longevity and reliability.
- 4 in 1 system: heating, cooling, fan and dehumidification modes. Turbo function, multi-speed fan, self-diagnosis and follow me are functions available with your Klimaire unit.
- DC Inverter technology extends the heating and cooling capacity at lower ambient conditions down to 5 ºF/-15 ºC and provides up to 30 percent power savings, reduces outdoor noise, and eliminates frequent start/stop cycling.
- This system comes with 4 x 25 ft long complete installation kit. Outdoor wall bracket included. 5 Year Compressor Limited Warranty. Energy Star Certified.
The Klimaire 4 Zone Inverter Air Conditioner Multi-Split Heat Pump is an excellent and advanced, ductless air conditioner. If you’re looking for an ideal air conditioner that will serve you better, then this is a great option to consider.
It comes with four air handlers connecting to one outdoor unit, which reduces the number of outdoor units needed. You can individually control all the indoor units without the need to be installed at the same time.
Although this Klimaire air conditioner has a simple design, you shouldn’t let that fool you. It comes with a wide range of high-tech features, including a fan and dehumidification mode. It also features a turbo function, multi-speed fan, and self-diagnosis. All of which can be accessed from the remote control, which allows you to control the unit from anywhere you are in your home.
The advantage of this multi-zone heat pump is that it is reliable, energy-efficient, and quiet. The inverter technology included in the 4 zone min split air conditioner also makes it worth buying and using. It provides you with a cool and excellent heating experience up to 2-zones. Therefore, it’s safe to say that it offers the perfect solution for residential and commercial applications.
You can mix and match chosen wall mount, ceiling cassette, concealed duct, universal floor or ceiling, and mini floor console indoor units to create a unique and multi-heating and cooling system to experience greater results.
Ductless air conditioners are designed to be installed above suspended ceilings or within open closet spaces and offer you ultimate flexibility. Some of the other features included in this appliance are variable speed heat pumps powered by an I-action inverter.
It also provides the same heating capacity as electric heat but only uses 1/3 of electric energy. Therefore, it saves up to 30 percent of energy and also features refrigerant leak detection monitoring. This helps to alert you to prevent damages to the compressor and other vital parts of the system.
- Remote control
- Inverter technology
- It offers the best comfort
- Not durable enough
- Unreliable customer service
- The wiring diagram is bunk
- It requires professional installation
Are Mini-Splits Worth the Money?
If you happen to have a central air conditioner working at all or no AC in your home, you know how the summer heat can be unbearable. If you’re going through this issue, then mini splits are the right solution to consider.
Compare to other systems, mini splits offer plenty of benefits such as efficiency, easy installation, and quiet operation. Thus, they are some of the most reliable and durable air conditioning systems to consider using in your home.
Ductless ACs are quite versatile. Regardless of how large or small, your home is, as well as the cooling requirements, mini-splits can be easily installed to effectively and conveniently cool the home and offer you a comfortable environment. It’s also crucial to note that mini-splits are designed to expand, making life easier for you if you have an attic or basement or add another room in your home.
So, are mini-splits worth the money? Absolutely! Mini-splits are worth every dime you use to buy them because they offer a wide range of benefits and make life easier for you. They are not only easy to install but also quite affordable. However, the installation cost will depend on the mini-split unit’s size, your home size, and the brand you buy.
How Many Zones Can a Mini Split Have?
When researching mini-splits, you’ll keep coming across the word “zone’ and wonder what it may mean. These are generally referred to as single zones, and there are also upward zones such as two and above.
If you’re planning on buying mini splits for your home, it’s important to understand the zones, what they mean, how many zones a mini-split can have, and the ones suitable for your needs.
To simplify this whole thing, what you need to know is that mini splits can be categorized into two:
- Single zone mini splits
- Multi-zone mini splits
A single zone mini split only uses one ductless mini-split system with a unit for outdoors and indoors. The system is installed in one room of your home or workplace. The room where you install the unit may have specific heating or cooling need currently not met.
However, using only a single zone unit means that other rooms in your home won’t benefit from the more regulated temperature control.
Things are different with a multi-zone mini split because it features a compressor that attaches to many indoor units that may have. The fewest units you can buy for a multi-zone mini-split system is two, although some people may use as many as five. Therefore, to answer this question, you need to know that a mini-split can have eight zones.
To determine the number of units you need for your multi-zone system, you have to count the rooms requiring better heating or cooling, meaning that each room will be considered its zone.
Do I Need a Mini Split for Every Room?
NO! You certainly don’t need a mini-split for every room. When dealing with an old home that features a lackluster HVAC system or even a new home that needs a new system, using a mini-split AC system is usually the best option to consider.
This is mainly because it is both a heating and cooling system smaller than the regular whole-home models. Another benefit is that it is energy-efficient and easy to use.
You don’t need a mini-split system for every room because it can work properly by itself with another of its kind or even with a whole-home unit. However, if you have a larger home, you may need only a few or use one combined with a larger unit.
But there wouldn’t be any need or reason for you to install all of these units in every room. This makes an energy-efficient mini-split suitable to consider due to its ease of use and efficiency.
Single Zone vs. Multi-Zone Mini Split
A zoned mini-split system provides you with customized comfort and more control over the air quality in your space or room. This is because there can be areas that need less heating or cooling than others.
Single Zone Mini Split
A single zone mini split system features one air handler and one condenser. It is efficient, minimizes energy usage, and offers better performance. It is also eco-friendly and helps you save money. If you plan to add a room in your home, then a single zone mini split is excellent.
- Low carbon footprint
- Less equipment
- Fewer repair and maintenance needs
- The option to buy efficient models for each area
Multi-Zone Mini Split
Installing a multi-zone mini split requires only one condenser to manage several indoor handlers. A single condenser can handle up to 8 indoor units. Therefore, this can be a solid option for a multi-story house. Having a multi-zone mini split setup reduces the burden and enhances comfort.
- Cheap to maintain
- It offers you complete control over the cooling and warming throughout your home
- Fewer outdoor units
- Remote management of the system
Differences Between These Two Options
The difference between a single-zone and multi-zone mini split is the price, number of components, and installation. Single zone mini splits are cheap to install due to the number of indoor air handling units you need.
What’s the Best Option?
Choosing between either of these two options will depend on your needs and situation. To make the right choice, you need to determine your room’s size, installation, costs, and many other factors involved. Therefore, once you’ve determined all these things, you’ll be in a better position to make the right selection.
Tips to Maximize Comfort and Savings with Mini-Splits
Here are some of the tips that you can use to maximize comfort and savings with mini-splits:
- You first need to understand when you need to use your backup heating source because not all mini splits are designed to use in cold climates. Therefore, you need to confirm this about your unit.
- Set the temperature sensors on your mini-split unit to achieve optimal comfort. If these sensors on your unit are higher up than where the thermostat usually would be, it means they are located near the ceiling, where the air is warmer.
- Ensure you maintain your indoor unit properly and prevent the winter’s wrath from doing damage outdoors. You can do this by cleaning the filters on the indoor units often. There’s an indicator that alerts you when the filters need cleaning.