When looking to upgrade your central air conditioning system or installing a new unit, mini-splits are the best solution for several reasons.
However, choosing the right mini-split systems for your home or office can be quite a puzzle, especially when you don’t know the factors to consider.
This guide considers all the variables that come into play when choosing a ductless air conditioning system, helping you sort out the best 9000 BTU mini-split systems on the market.
Like most ductless air conditioners, buying a 9000 BTU mini-split is all about understanding the size of your room. Fortunately, these heat pumps and air conditioners will maintain the temperature at a comfortable level in small and medium spaces.
However, you can measure your room’s ceiling height and square footage if you’re unsure about your room’s approximate size.
Here are the seven best 9000 BTU mini-splits worth buying in 2021 to cool or heat your home and office.
Here are other mini-splits systems to consider
How many square feet can a 9000 BTU Mini Split Cool?
Proper sizing of a ductless mini-split is essential to enjoy a high-efficiency performance with a 9000 BTU air conditioning system. That’s because if the system is too large or too small for your room, it won’t work efficiently. Additionally, an improperly sized system and incorrect setup might leave you with expensive problems to fix.
Most 9000 BTU mini splits can comfortably warm or cool any room ranging between 300 and 450 square feet in size. Some brands can serve rooms with up to 500 square feet in area, although proper sizing depends on your room’s insulation levels and the number of indoor handlers you need.
How Much Will Running a 9000 BTU Mini Split Cost?
9000 BTU mini-splits typically use about 900 watts. That means a 9K BTU mini-split will cost you around 90 cents daily when running for eight hours based on the national cost. The price may vary depending on the average KWh unit cost, but it should be less than $30 per month. That will be about $350 per year.
Do I Need a Mini Split For Every Room?
While you might need to warm or cool several rooms in your house, you don’t need a mini-split system for each one of them. Instead, you can buy a multi-zone mini split that allows you to connect several indoor units to a single outdoor system.
In most homes, the average 9000 BTU mini-split works well in the living room, and you can set up more indoor units in the bedroom and kitchen. However, larger homes might need another outdoor condenser to work effectively for the extra weight.
Tips For Operating Your Mini-Split Heat Pump in the Summer?
Here are eight tips to lower your energy costs while maximizing your mini-splits efficiency to enhance your comfort in the summer.
Choose your comfort level
When setting the temperature using your mini split’s remote, you might need to adjust it a tad higher or lower than you’d expect. That’s because the temperature is measured based on the indoor unit, which stands 7-8 feet above the ground.
Finding a setting that you’re most comfortable with and sticking to it is the best solution to avoid energy wastage and increase your system’s efficiency or consider mini-splits with the highest seer rating.
Use the Auto-Fan Feature
Instead of picking a fan speed, let the air handlers automatically adjust your fan to maintain your comfort. The Auto mode is also energy efficient.
Allow the System to Run Continuously
Set your air conditioner and forget about it. That’s because a mini-split consumes less energy and maintains the temperature at a consistent level when it operates continuously 24/7.
There’s no need to switch the unit on and off, whether you’re sleeping or out buying groceries. You also don’t need to adjust the temperature while you’re away, like with the traditional central cooling system.
Check for Drainage
As the system keeps your home cool, condensation tends to build upon its evaporator coils and drains outside. However, the coils might be clogged, and so you must check the outdoor condenser in draining the condensate away.
Check when the system is running, and if you see nothing, there might be a problem with the drainage and needs servicing from a licensed HVAC expert.
Perform Routine Maintenance Checks on the Air Filters
Perform routine maintenance on your mini-split to ensure the system circulates air efficiently and effectively. Take off the cover on your air handlers and wipe down the evaporator coils using a soft cloth.
The air filter needs cleaning periodically in the summer to ensure there’s no debris in the unit. You can use a garden hose to clean off the outdoor unit, but make sure you’ve shut off the system’s power.
Close the Curtains and Shades to Block the Sun
During the summer, the warmth of the sun will heat your house, and the mini-split will need to work harder to keep your home cool. However, you can help your cooling system cool your house easier by closing the curtains and blinds during the day, especially on sunny afternoons.
Keep Interior Doors Open
Leaving the indoor doors open helps to let the air circulate your house. Compared to leaving the door closed, opening the indoor doors might result in a difference of up to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Your system will use less energy than it has to, helping you save costs and improve the air conditioner’s lifespan.
Evaluate the Initial Installation
To avoid problems while cooling your house during the summer, inspect whether the system is well installed. You might also need to regularly call the technician to check whether any parts need replacing, especially when you’re not experienced with air conditioners. That ensures your air conditioning system runs smoothly from the first day.
Best 9000 BTU Mini Split
1. Pioneer 9,000 BTU Mini Split Air Conditioner
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating at 9000 BTU/hour with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Comes with every needed component in the box including an easy-install 16ft copper piping kit
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the parts and compressor
Created to serve rooms measuring 250-350 square feet, the Pioneer 9000 BTU mini-split works best for small spaces using standard 110-120 V electric outlets.
Its built-in heat pump keeps your house warm in the colder months, with a heating capacity of up to 10,000 BTU. However, the actual heat output varies from 5400-10,900 BTU per hour depending on different factors.
Pioneer does brilliantly when it comes to efficiency, with the unit performing at a 19.5 SEER rate when cooling. The heating is also as efficient, with the system rated at 10.0, which is incredibly high for air conditioners in this category.
Even better, this Pioneer air conditioner is cost-efficient, with AHRI estimating its operational costs to the range at less than $300 annually for heating and cooling.
The Pioneer 9000 BTU air conditioner operates silently, and the indoor unit can deliver as much as 38 decibels on high setting and up to 25 decibels on low settings.
Meanwhile, the outdoor compressor operates at 52 decibels throughout. Even better, the system is lightweight (22 pounds) and easy to handle during installation and maintenance.
- Ultra-high inverter compressor
- Lightweight and easy to handle for installation
- The indoor air handler produces only 22 decibels for a quiet operation.
- Heating, cooling, ventilation, and dehumidification modes
- Cloud programmable Wi-Fi ready remote access
- The poor quality construction of the outdoor system
2. Senville SENA-09HF/Z Energy Star Mini Split Air Conditioner
- DC Inverter Technology for Ultra High Efficiency and Performance
- High Quality Design for an Attractive Appearance, Powerful Performance, and Dependable Durability
- Uses 208-230V, ETL Intertek Approved, Energy Star Certified, AHRI Certified
- Includes Easy Installation Kit with 16 Ft. Copper Line Set
- Whisper Technology for Quiet Operation, Great for Bedrooms, Additions, Living Rooms and Commercial Applications.
A powerful air conditioner that will keep you cool during the hot seasons, the Senville SENA-09HF/Z is an Energy Star rated heat pump that’s perfect for year-round comfort. The Senville Aura comes with three unique modes, allow ng you to stay warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and comfortable for the time in between.
Unlike other competitors, the Senville Aura works well with extreme climates and can heat in low temperatures of up to -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
The 25-SEER ductless air conditioner comes with 11.2 HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor, meaning that it’s designed to cut heating and cooling costs. That makes the Senville Sena -09HF/Z a solid solution for anyone in need of an efficient 9K BTU single unit.
The Senville Aura also packs other impressive features like Wi-Fi connectivity, a programmable timer, adjustable airflow, and multiple fan speeds.
Unfortunately, this ductless air conditioner is a little expensive for a 9000 BTU mini-split, although it’s excellent for a small room. Users with a large room might want to consider the Senville 12000 BTU mini-split.
- Remote control for easier personalization
- Ultra-high efficiency inverter with the ultra-silent operation
- AHRI and Energy Star certified
- Features a leakage and diagnostics detection system for proper maintenance
- Expensive for a 9K BTU mini-split
- Warranty isn’t clear whether it extends to a system installed by the owners
3. Senville SENL-09CD Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- 4-in-1 Mini Split Air Conditioner with Heat Pump. Built-In Air Conditioning, Heating (Up to 5F/-15C), Dehumidifier, Fan and Turbo Function.
- Great for Bedrooms, Additions, Living Rooms, Garages, and Commercial Applications. Can Be Installed in Virtually Any Home, Condo or Space.
- Whisper Quiet Operation (25dB). Energy Efficient Consumption and Engineered for the Harshest Climates.
- 5 Year Manufacturer . Senville Trusted Quality and Design. Free Technical & Installation Support Included.
- Includes 16 Ft. Installation Kit with Communication Cable and Copper Lines (Pre-Flared) and Remote Control. R410A Pre-Charged (25 Ft. ) *Requires Professional Installation.
The Senville SENL-09CD is an excellent solution for anyone looking for a DIY air conditioning system that can cool small and medium living spaces.
This 9000 BTU mini-split is ideal for spaces ranging up to 450 square feet and can deliver 256-cubit feet of airflow per minute. The air conditioner also packs a built-in heater that’s invaluable in the cold season.
Design-wise, the Senville SENL-09CD is a lightweight unit that’s easy to install on your own, although you can minimize the risk of botched installations by hiring a professional.
The outdoor unit is quieter than the human dialogue, operating at 54dB noise level, while the indoor unit registers 41dB at maximum speed. The SENL-09CD also packs a 2-way directional airflow that evenly cools all the areas in your room.
Other incredible features in the Senville SENL-09CD include a water-resistant design, an inbuilt thermostat, and an easy-to-clean anti-bacterial air filter.
The system has many moderate range convenience features, although cooling power is not enough for large rooms. Overall, the design and operation of this mid-range market product are worth every penny.
- Ideal for DIY installation
- A noiseless operation thanks to its whisper technology
- It comes with a programmable remote control
- A low-ambient operation for heating in freezing conditions
- The warranty only covers the parts
4. Cooper & Hunter Ductless Mini Split AC/Heating System
- Cooper&Hunter Mia Series 9,000 BTU, 110V, 19 SEER, 10 HSPF, Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump ETL Intertek Approved, AHRI Certified WiFi Ready (Additional USB adapter is required but NOT included)
- Pre-Charged with refrigerant. Works for heating with ambient temperature up to 5F°
- Ready for installation: 16FT copper line set, communication wires, and a drainage extension are included with your order!
- Whisper Technology for Quiet Operation, Great for Bedrooms, Additions,Living Rooms and Commercial Applications.
- You are well protected by a 7 year warranty on the compressor, a 5 year parts warranty and smart, experienced technicians should you ever need assistance. This is not DIY system, professional installation is required.
Cooper & Hunter has become a leading manufacturer of durable HVAC systems for over two decades in the ventilation and air conditioning market.
This 19-SEER ductless mini split from C & H is WI-Fi ready, and AHRI certified, meaning it is highly efficient and convenient. More importantly, the air conditioner comes with a pre-charged refrigerant and can work in up to 5-degrees Fahrenheit.
Depending on your wall’s design, the Cooper & Hunter 9000 BTU ductless mini-split is relatively easy to install in less than five hours.
However, you’ll need to buy a vacuum pump to handle the installation on your own or hire a licensed HVAC professional. Additionally, it’s whisper-quiet when operating, although the turbo setting slightly increases its sound.
Overall, the Cooper & Hunter 19-SEER ductless mini-split is perfect for any medium room that doesn’t suffer from negative temperatures. With this system, you’re well-covered with a 7-year compressor warranty and a 5-year warranty on parts, but the warranty only holds when installed by a professional.
- Whisper quiet technology
- Wi-Fi ready and AHRI certified
- Easy installation using the 16FT kit included
- It comes pre-charged with refrigerant
- Requires professional installation
- Limited warranty
5. Innovair Air Conditioner Inverter Ductless Wall Mount Mini Split
- High Efficiency AHRI certified Inverter technology Heat Pump ductless mini split system
- Multiple features such as Sleep mode, Turbo cooling, Dehumidifier, Follow Me
- Operates in either AC cooling or Heat Pump heating mode with 17 to 19 SEER Efficiency
- Ready to Install kits include 16FT copper piping and 25FT Pre-Charged refrigerant
- Gold-Fin outdoor for corrosion protection and High Density indoor filters
While installing a new air conditioning system can be expensive, Innovair makes sure you can conveniently warm or cool your room under a budget.
The 9000 BTU air conditioner perfectly covers any room ranging at 450 square feet while using 115V of electric power. This system comes pre-charged up to 25 feet and has a 19.3 SEER rating, which is great for an air conditioner at this price.
With the Innovair VIN31-H1V51, you can cool down your room within 30 minutes using the turbo cooling mode. Its variable-speed motor also supports quiet and efficient operation for a peaceful night’s sleep without disturbing your neighbor.
However, this single zone mini split isn’t the best for negative temperature, although it works efficiently with up to -5 degrees Fahrenheit.
During warm seasons, the system’s high-ambient cooling works efficiently even when the outdoor temperatures reach 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Innovair has made the installation process seamless with their installation kit, but you’ll need a professional to handle the work.
- Turbo boost cooling
- Efficient and quiet operation
- Affordable price range
- High-density indoor filters
- It might not be compatible with some smart thermostats
- Requires a professional HVAC installer
6. DAIKIN 9,000 BTU 17 SEER Wall-Mounted Ductless Mini-Split
Backed by a lengthy 12-year warranty, this 9000 BTU mini-split from Daikin offers comfort all-year-round without breaking down easily. Unfortunately, this 19-SEER wall-mounted unit can only cool or heat rooms of up to 350 square feet. Nonetheless, it packs a range of handy features that are worth every penny.
With the Daikin 19-SEER mini-split, you can enjoy handy features like auto-defrost, auto-fan speed control, anti-changeover, and auto-restart. The features make running the system a breeze, with every control being a few buttons away using the remote control. Even better, the remote comes with an extending section that displays the range of functions available.
The operation is super quiet, with noise levels ranging at 19 dB to allow you to sleep and go through your daily activities uninterrupted. Its self-diagnostic feature comes in handy should the mini-split get broken, with a digital display that will enable you to fix the issues as they arise. However, the outdoor unit is heavy, and the system is not Wi-Fi ready.
- It comes with an air-purifying filter
- Ambient cooling with eco-mode
- Washable filter
- Handy self-diagnostic feature
- Heavy outdoor unit
- No Wi-Fi connectivity
7. CoVac Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner
- POWERFUL COOLING: 14K BTU quickly cools rooms up to 375 sq. ft. Can pull up to 2.91 liters of water from the air per hour (79 liters/day) to combat humid, muggy days.
- COOLING POWER OF VOICE: Use Alexa (sold separately) voice commands to control your Rollicool with a library of Alexa skills. Intuitive, easy-to-use app also available.
- DUAL-BAND WI-FI SUPPORT (2.4GHz & 5GHz): Connect the A/C unit to your home wi-fi network and control from anywhere with an internet connection. No Internet? No problem! Simply use Bluetooth to control your COOL.
- EASY TO SETUP, EASY TO USE: Comes with everything you need to get cool in minutes, incl. window kit and washable air filter. Smooth-glide 360° caster wheels to easily move the AC unit from room to room.
- WORLD CLASS SUPPORT: Protected by a One-Year Limited Warranty and backed by an American company. Have questions? Simply contact our expert customer support specialists via email or live chat.
Unlike most mini splits on the market, the CoVac 19-SEER mini-split comes in a compact and highly effective package that runs an ultra-quiet operation. The system packs various convenience features and can support multiple functions, including cooling, heating, and dehumidification.
CoVac uses modern inverter technology that saves you energy by varying the compressor speed to avoid wasting power constantly turning the system on and off. This air conditioning system is also ETL listed and AHRI certified.
Overall, the CoVac 9000 BTU mini-split offers great value for the money, and the installation manual makes the setup very fast. However, you’ll need a certified AC specialist to help you hookup the refrigeration system. Nonetheless, it will efficiently warm any room under the 500 square feet area.
- Compact outdoor unit
- Seamless installation using the included kit
- Quiet and efficient operation
- Multiple temperature control options
- Needs professional installation
With a medium space in your bedroom, table room, or office, you can install the best 9000 BTU mini-splits to stay warm or cool all year. The initial cost of getting the system installed adequately might be huge for some users, but the comfort, efficiency, and effectiveness is worth the money.
However, people with large rooms or bigger houses might consider other units like multi-zone mini splits in various configurations.