Having the best air vent filters in your home provides you with an extra line of defense, as this is an essential way of preventing dust and allergens. Dust and allergen particles can enter the ducts and through cracks, and bypass the main furnace filter – which may result in health problems.
Dust can also accumulate in vents when there’s no activity going on, and this ends up further polluting your home or space. Luckily, installing air vent filters is an excellent way of preventing all this from happening as it delivers fresh air to your home.
If you’re searching for a good air vent, we have several options below that we’ve reviewed to help you out.
What Is a Vent Filter?
A vent filter is simply an object that is used to filter incoming air on a receiver when it ventilates. Vent filters are ideal to use in your home, especially because they help to prevent bad odor, smoke, and other pollutants from entering your home. Therefore, a vent filter helps to offer you cool and fresh air.
With vent filters, you are guaranteed an extra line of defense against allergens and dust. If you are allergic to dust, using a vent filter can be a great solution to prevent these pollutants from causing you allergic reactions. Additionally, vent filters come with a lot of benefits that we’ll list down below in the pros and cons section.
Do Vent Filters Work?
The simple answer to this question is a resounding yes! Vent filters can work wonders – but only if you buy and install some of the best air vent filters to use in your home. Using a vent filter is one way of adding to your main filter, and it’s also suitable for homes that have their HVAC system off mostly.
Although vent filters don’t entirely eliminate the problem, they are reliable when it comes to reducing airborne allergens like pollen and dander. These particles are pulled into the return vents and then caught in the furnace filter. Simply put, using vent filters is an integrated way of filtering indoor air.
However, there are instances when you need to avoid using vent filters such as in older homes. When you have an older home, it’s not always recommended to install a vent filter because it’s almost like placing a bandage over a broken house.
This is mainly because the vent filters can catch a large percentage of particles, but your heating bills will be impacted due to the leaks in the ducts.
Pros and Cons of Vent Filters
Vent filters also come with their own advantages and disadvantages, similar to most components of an HVAC system.
- They protect you against dust and allergens
- Vent filters are efficient and easy to use
- They are easy to install
- Some of the best air vent filters are cheap and affordable
- Vent filters are made from high-quality materials
- Vent filters prevent the accumulation of dust in the vents during periods of inactivity
- Vent filters also prevent further pollution of your home
- Unfortunately, vent filters slow the passage of air because as particles build upon them, it increases the amount of obstruction.
- Vent filters can rack up your energy bill since they cause your system to work harder.
- Vent filters can potentially overheat components.
- Vent filters require regular changing, similar to your main filter.
When to Use Vent Filters
Vent filters often make a huge difference in various situations, but they don’t always solve air quality problems. The quality of air entering your home can be jeopardized by plenty of sources, but your furnace filter can do an excellent job of protecting you from airborne particles under normal circumstances.
If your home HVAC normally remains off mostly throughout the year, that’s when you should consider using vent filters. In such a place, an air vent filter can assist in reducing the accumulation of dust in the vents. Therefore, this ends up reducing the heated dust smell that occurs when you first turn on your furnace after it was off for long.
However, you shouldn’t on vent filters as the main solution for dealing with dust and other pollutants blowing into your home. Unfortunately, vent filters don’t deal with the entire issue, which means you have to implement other things such as an air conditioning system or any other reliable device to assist in tackling this issue.
When Not to Use Vent Filters
As mentioned earlier, you should highly avoid using vent filters in older homes. That’s because the ductwork can easily accumulate holes and cracks over time, and the seals can also break. This issue is most common in an older home where dust gathers quickly in its rooms, but the furnace filter still stays clean.
When this happens, the vent filters tend to accumulate a lot of particles, thereby leaking in the ducts and resulting in high energy bills. Therefore, a good solution for this issue would be to make sure the ductwork is properly checked and repaired for it to last longer.
Another reason why it’s not ideal to use vent filters in older homes is due to the furnace. Furnaces require air to prevent them from overheating or becoming inactive. Therefore, adding filters in an old house may reduce the airflow and negatively affect the furnace.
Do Vent Filters Block Air Flow?
Yes, vent filters tend to block airflow. In fact, this is one of the biggest drawdowns associated with vent filters. The reason why vent filters block the airflow is that they slow the passage of air as particles build upon them. This ends up increasing the amount of obstruction and causes your system to work harder than it should.
How to Install Return Air Vent Filters
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install return air vent filters:
- The first step is to clean the vent. You can do this by turning off the HVAC unit and opening the vent grille. You also need to decide whether you want to place the duct inside or outside the grille.
- Cut it into the perfect shape. Most of the return vent filter brands have rolls that you need to cut to conform to your vent’s shape. Before you cut, first you need to apply the tape to avoid overlapping the fins on the grille. Use scissors to cut and get the best shape.
- The final step involves pressing the filter onto the tape that you secured to the grille, and then hold for several seconds.
Best Air Vent Filters Reviews
1. VEVA Complete Vent Register Filters Kit
- PREMIUM VENT FILTERS - VEVA’s electrostatic filter media traps dust, pollen, and smoke to reduce allergy causing allergen better than cheesecloth and gauze. Also acts as a guard against insects and spiders from entering the home through air ducts.
- PERFECT FIT FOR WHOLE HOUSE - Compatible with all size air vents, registers, and grilles. Covers all types of floor, wall, ceiling, heaters, AC and HVAC vents. You can also install the filters behind the duct grill by cutting to sizes such as 4 x 10, 4 x 12 and 14 x 14 inches. This versatile design makes it easy to cover or install behind non-standard vent sizes and for use in DIY projects.
- INCREDIBLE VALUE - This Kit comes with a 16” x 72” roll of white anti-bacterial filter screen material and 120” of Velcro strips. This complete set will provide enough installation tape and replacement filters to create cleaner home central heating, air conditioning and air duct for many years. This is a must for those that suffer from allergies.
- EASY TO USE - Simply cut and cover your return air intake register, grille, air conditioner and furnace heat vents. Can be double layered to create a thicker and more absorbent filter. The filter easily attaches and removes to the adhesive-backed Velcro strips, saving you time and money when changing the filters.
- CUSTOMER HAPPINESS: Our responsive customer service team is fully committed to ensuring you have the best experience possible! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us and we will answer ASAP!
The VEVA Complete Vent Register Filters Kit is of premium quality and helps to trap dust, smoke, and pollen, thereby reducing allergy-causing allergens better than gauze and cheesecloth.
It also acts as a guard against insects and spiders that may want to enter your home through air ducts. If you’re looking for air filters that are suitable for the whole house, then these are the best air vent filters to consider buying.
They are compatible with all-size air vents, grilles, and registers. They also cover all types of floor, ceiling, walls, HVAC vents, air conditioners, and heaters.
You also have the option of installing these filters behind the duct grill by cutting them in different sizes like 4 x 10 inches, 4 x 12 inches, or 14 x 14 inches. Due to their versatile design, you can easily cover or install behind non-standard vent sizes to use in your other DIY projects.
You also get incredible value with the VEVA Complete Vent Register Filters Kit. The kit comes with a 16 x 72 inches roll of white anti-bacterial filter screen material, and 120 inches of Velcro strips.
With this complete set, you will have enough installation tape and replacement filters needed to create a cleaner home central heating, air ducts, and air conditioning that will last longer. This is an ideal solution to consider, especially if you suffer from allergies.
What makes the filter easy to use is that it attaches properly to the adhesive, and also removes faster saving you time and money when you want to change or replace the filters.
- Premium quality
- Suitable for the whole house
- Easy to use
- Versatile design
- Difficult to cut the material
- Terrible adhesive strips
2. WEB Vent Register Filters
- Floor vent filters
- Filters individual room air
- Lasts for up to 90 days
- 12 filters in package
- Utilize in RVs and apartments
WEB is a notable brand that manufactures excellent and high-quality products. The WEB Vent Register Filters help to trap dust, smoke, and dirt through furnace and air conditioner registers. The advantage of these filters is that they easily fit standard-sized floor register ducts of size 4 x 12 inches or smaller.
They can help you filter dust that carries allergen pollen and dust mites in your home. With the WEB Vent Register Filters, you can also reduce cleaning time since they help to contain the spread of household dust. They enable you to maintain and improve your indoor air quality. The filters have a total weight of 1.4 ounces, and they come in 12 pieces per pack.
They last up to 90 days and you can use them in RVs or apartments. As mentioned earlier, they are easy to use, install, and they provide you with value for money.
What’s more, you can also use them for fish tank cleaner, intakes for central air conditioning system, and intakes of car air conditioning. Due to their cheap and affordable price, you can replace them frequently.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- It cuts easily
- It offers value for money
- They work perfectly
- They block the register’s airflow
- Too thick
3. HIS Air Vent Filters
- AIR VENT FILTERS FOR AC UNITS AND HEATERS – insert these air vent filters into the floor air vent registers to purify the air coming from your AC units and heaters. Designed to filter the air you breathe; these air vent filters also prevent dirt and other objects from falling into the air vents
- ELECTROSTATICALLY CHARGED AIR RETURN FILTER – made from self-charging electrostatic material, our vent filters act as a dust, dirt, pollen and smoke magnet for your vent registers so you don’t have unwanted particles in the air you are breathing. This purifying process allows you to experience fresher, filtered air in your home
- VENT FILTERS FOR SELECTED ROOMS IN THE HOME – we recommend using these heater vent filters in selected rooms around your home, so as not to put too much stress on your AC and heating systems. Please note that these AC vent filters are not intended to replace your AC or furnace filters. Using any brand vent filter will cause slight airflow restriction.
- ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSING ACTION – unique to our air vent filters is the option to use them as essential oil diffusers. Simply drop a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto the air filter to fill the room with the scent for a calming and relaxing atmosphere. We recommend that these AC vent filters are replaced every 90 days
- SIZING AND PACK INFORMATION – included in your purchase, you will receive 12 x air vent filters which measure 4 x 12 inches and are approximately 2cm thick, designed to fit most standard size vents. Made from polyester, non-woven material, these heater vent filters can easily be cut with scissors to fit smaller vents
You can insert these air vent filters into the floor air vent registers to purify the air that is coming from your AC units and heaters. Therefore, the HIS Air Vent Filters are designed to filter the air you breathe and prevent dirt and other objects from falling into the air vents.
These best air vent filters are also made from self-charging electrostatic material, which makes them act as dust, dirt, pollen, and a smoke magnet for your vent registers.
Thanks to this purifying process included in the HIS Air Vent Filters, you’ll have the chance to experience fresh, filtered air in your home. However, when it comes to using these vent filters, consider only using them in selected rooms in your home to avoid putting too much strain on your AC and heating systems.
Also, you need to remember that these AC vent filters are not intended to replace your current air conditioner or furnace filters. There’s also the option of using these air vent filters as essential oil diffusers.
All you have to do is put a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto the air filter and it will fill your room with the scent of a relaxing atmosphere. When you purchase this pack you will get 12 HIS Air Vent Filters, which measure 4 x 12 inches approximately 12 cm thick.
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Very efficient
- Perfect for most vents
- Suitable for AC units and heaters
- Too thick
- Restrict airflow through them
4. Dustcontrol Furnace AC Register Vent Filters
- Reduce the amount of dust in your whole house!
- EASY TO INSTALL - Just flip over your register and insert the air vent filter in the bottom of the register to reduce the dust, allergens, and odors
- SAVE MONEY - Reduce the amount of Air Duct cleaning every year using these floor vent register filter tools.
- Replace every 30-90 days. This will depend on how much dust, odor, allergens, etc are in the city you live and the conditions of each home.
- DIMENSIONS - 4" wide x 10" long
If you’re looking for something that can help you reduce the amount of dust in your entire house, the Dustcontrol Furnace AC Register Vent Filters can offer you the right solution.
These are some of the best air vent filters because they are easy to install and affordable. When you want to install them, all you need to do is just flip over your register and insert the air vent filter in the bottom of the register to reduce allergens, dust, and odors.
These vent filters can also help you save money by reducing the amount of air duct cleaning every year. All you need to do is ensure that you replace them every 30 to 90 days depending on how much dust, allergens, and odor is in the area where you live. They measure 4 inches wide and 10 inches long.
With the Dustcontrol Furnace AC Register Vent Filters, you can maintain clean air and a clean home proactively. They are efficient, easy to install and use, and most of all, affordable. They weigh approximately 1.6 ounces and are made from polyester material. They don’t require any batteries to run and they only consume 90 watts of electricity.
- Easy to install
- Reduces dust
- Fits perfectly
- Easy to use
- Provides proper airflow
- Too thin
- It may negatively affect temperature control in your house
5. Nordic Pure Air Vent Filters
- Actual Size of Filter: 19 1/2x19 1/2x3/4
- Made in USA
- Low manufacturer-direct prices
- Free Shipping - Directly to your door
The Nordic Pure Air Vent Filters help to keep dirt and other objects from falling into ducts. They also feature permanently charged electrostatic materials that assist in trapping harmful allergens. However, it’s important to note that these vent filters are not intended to replace your AC or furnace filters.
When it comes to installing the Nordic Pure Air Vent Filters, you have the option of trimming if you want. When you trim these vent filters it may help them fit perfectly where you want to install them. They are among the best air vent filters because their design is meant to offer you fresh and filtered air in your home or workplace.
Quality is another feature that makes these vent filters ideal. They are made from high-quality material and they come in a package of 12 pieces.
The self-charging electrostatic material used to make these vent filters acts as a dust magnet and traps small particles. Therefore, you can fully rely on these air vent filters to purify the air entering your home.
- Easy to install
- Perfect sheerness
- Prevent dirt and objects
- Excellent design
- They fit perfectly
- They offer value for money
- A bit flimsy
6.Carbon Register Vent Air Odor & Dust Filters
- Helps reduce airborne particles and odors that may intensify allergy symptoms!
- For optimum performance, change filter every 3 months.
- 3 pack of 12 x 16 Carbon Impreginated Electrostatic Material
- Made in the USA.
- Vent filters are designed to provide filtered air in your home.
The Carbon Register Vent Air Odor & Dust Filters come in a package that contains 12 vent filters, and it also features activated charcoal impregnated in a poly mat for trapping dirt, smoke, and dust. Therefore, it helps to reduce odor through the furnace or AC registers.
If you want to keep dirt and other objects from falling into ducts, then using the Carbon Register Vent Air Odor & Dust Filters is a suitable solution. You can easily trim to fit standard size vents, which will make it easier to install without straining too much.
Similar to other air vent filters that we’ve discussed above, the Carbon Register Vent Air Odor & Dust Filters are also made from a self-charging electrostatic material, which attracts dust, pollen, smoke, and other pollutants in your vent register system. You can use it in any room of your home or even in an RV.
- Easy to trim
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Not efficient enough
- It doesn’t quite get rid of bad odor
- Hard to install for older people
The best air vent filters may sometimes come in a poor shape, which requires you to cut into the perfect shape to fit the vent covering. When it comes to buying vent filters, you need to be cautious to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
Our review has focused on some of the best vent filters to consider buying out there. If you have information to share or questions to ask, you can reach out through our comments section, or simply send us an email – to which we’ll be happy to respond.