Rooms with no windows can get extremely hot during summer. Fortunately, you have several options to keep your space cool, including air conditioning.
However, not all air conditioners can be used in apartments with now windows. A good example would be window air conditioners. You can’t install window ac in a room without a window.
While the absence of a window limits your options when it comes to choosing an air conditioner for small apartments with no windows, other types of air conditioners can still cool the room efficiently.
In this article, you’ll find the best air conditioners for room without windows. It’s important to consider the size of your room to help you determine the number of BTUs you need.
4 Options for Air Conditioning a Room without Windows.
1. Best Air Conditioner for Apartment With No Windows
Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners
Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners are a two-part system that cools and heats one or more rooms in your home. They are the best alternative to window air conditioners with heat, especially if you are looking for a unit that can heat and cool.
Ductless mini-split air conditioners have an indoor air-handling unit and an outdoor unit with a compressor.
The indoor unit is usually hung on a wall or suspended on a ceiling, and it blows cold air into your space. This unit is connected to the outdoor compressor through a refrigerant line. As such, you don’t need to have ducts in your home to install a mini-split system.
You can have one or several indoor units depending on the number of rooms you want to cool. While multiple indoor air handling units are usually connected to one outdoor unit, you can always control them independently.
Advantages of Ductless Air Conditioners
Mini-split systems are excellent choices for homes with no existing ductwork. They are also ideal for apartments where the owners are only looking to cool or heat a specific area at a time.
Each zone has its own thermostat; therefore, you can condition only rooms that are currently occupied while saving energy in unoccupied zones.
- Long lifespan
- Energy efficient
- You don’t need to have ductwork.
- Easy to install compared to central units
- Provide flexibility and convenience since you can cool only the rooms you use and ignore spaces you don’t use.
- Save floor and window space that you can use for other things.
- Can keep you cool in the summer and warm in winter
- Modern look to blend well with your interior design
- Feature-packed with customization options and remote control.
- Higher upfront cost than portable, window, and wall-mounted air conditioner. However, the cost of operating a mini-split system is low compared to other units.
- Most mini-split requires professional installation. You risk damaging the unit, malfunction, or inefficiency if improperly installed.
- Not ideal for rooms with ductwork installed, especially a one-floor home.
What is the Best Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner
Pioneer Air Conditioner Wall Mount Ductless Inverter + Mini Split Heat Pump.
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating at 9000 BTU/hour with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Comes with every needed component in the box including an easy-install 16ft copper piping kit
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the parts and compressor
Pioneer Mini Splits are one of the popular mini-split brands and best sellers on Amazon. They are beautifully built, affordable, and can be used in both residential and commercial buildings.
The company offers a range of cooling capacities from 9,000 to 36,000 BTU. For cooling and heating multiple rooms, they also provide dual and multi-zone systems.
For small apartments with no windows, I recommend Pioneer WYS012A-19. It’s energy-efficient and ideal for spaces between 300 to 450 square feet.
It’s powered by the standard 110/120 vac voltage, so you don’t have to change anything. It also comes with all the installation materials. Remote control is also included to let you adjust the temperature or settings at the comfort of your seat.
2. Best Air Conditioner for Small Room with No Windows
Swamp Cooler/ Evaporative Cooler
Evaporating cooling is one of the oldest forms of climate control that still exists today. It’s beneficial to people living in hot, dry climates, and may not be helpful in humid climates.
Evaporative coolers are less expensive to purchase and install, eco-friendly, easy to maintain, and add moisture to the air. It’s their ability to add moisture to the air that makes them the perfect fit for dry climates.
How do swamp coolers work? By circulating water through a cooling pad while drawing air across the surface of the cooling pad. Hot air from a heat pump absorbs the moisture from the pad, reducing the temperature of the air discharged by the unit.
While swamp cooler and air conditioners serve the same purpose of keeping your room cool, they operate differently. Evaporative cooling systems draw warm air from the room they are employed in while air conditioners take humidity out of the room.
The difference between these two units is the operating costs. The cost of operating swamp coolers is much less compared to traditional air conditioners.
What is the Best Evaporative Cooler
Honeywell 525-729CFM Portable Evaporative Cooler
- Indoor evaporative air cooler or swamp cooler ideal for use in the southwest and Midwest regions of the US - Performs best in hot/dry climates where humidity levels are <60%
- Super low power consumption 288W & powerful 525-729CFM airflow ideal for spot cooling small to medium spaces such as living room, bedroom, den, covered patio, garage
- Carbon Dust Air Filter, Remote Control, Low water alarm, energy saving timer, Adjustable humidification dial & Ice compartment. Detachable Tank for easy maintenance
- Moist, cool breeze can cool you down & be used as humidification during winter months.
- NOT an Air Conditioner & NOT just a Fan – Environmentally friendly Evaporative Cooler reduces temperature through water evaporation. Mimic the comfort of a cool lake breeze in your home
Honeywell 525-729CFM Portable Evaporative Cooler is the most popular portable swamp cooler on the market. It’s portable, lightweight, and perfect for both residential and commercial rooms. The recommended room size it can cool is 320 square feet.
Apart from having a sturdy design and two colors to choose from, the CL30XC is feature-packed and has a powerful airflow of 525 CFM. You can use the remote or the user-friendly LED control panel with angle viewing to adjust the fan speed or adjust other settings.
The CL30XC will help you save up to 80% on your cooling bills compared to people using refrigerated systems. It has a detachable tank, programmable timer, low water alarm function, and sleep feature, all intended for you to get the best out of the unit.
3. Portable Air Conditioners for Room With No Window
Portable air conditioners are one of the affordable, most efficient, and cost-effective spot cooling solutions for a variety of residential and commercial applications.
While the advantages of portable ac are numerous, the main benefit is their ability to provide permanent or temporary cooling to specific rooms within a home.
It’s not a good idea to use a portable air conditioner in a room without a window, but if you are creative with your installation, you can vent your portable ac using other methods.
One of the alternative ways of venting a portable air conditioning system is through a wall, dryer vent, or drop ceiling.
If you choose to vent a portable ac without a window, make sure the heat is transferred to another room or outside. You don’t want the heat reentering the room where the ac is cooling. Also, don’t extend the exhaust hose because that would reduce the efficiency of the unit.
What is the Best Portable Air Conditioner for Room Without Windows
Honeywell MN10CESWW Portable Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan
- [POWERFUL, SAFE & DEPENDABLE] Cools rooms up to 350-450 square feet. Thermal Overload protection for added safety & peace of mind.
- [EASY INSTALL & MAINTENANCE] Washable Filter designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filter cleans easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (Max. hose length is 4 feet).
- [DESIGNED FOR COMFORT] Enjoy simple digital control with 3 fan speeds, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control included
- [3-IN-1 APPLIANCE] Powerful cooling in the summer, Dehumidifier for humid days (removes up to 66 pints/ 24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation), Fan circulates air for everyday comfort.
- 10000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 5500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
You can find a variety of models that would work well in rooms without windows. However, one that has performed well for such a situation is the Honeywell MN10CESWW Portable Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan. It provides 10000 BTUs and ideal for rooms between 350 to 450 square feet.
Apart from cooling, this ac has an in-built dehumidifier that removes up to 67.7 pints of moisture from your air per day. Another essential feature is the fan-only mode that circulates air in your room, preventing room stuffiness during those days when cooling isn’t necessary.
You can fully customize the unit to turn on a specific time of the day as well as set your ideal temperature that will be maintained throughout the duration the ac is on. You can use the remote control or the control panel to make quick adjustments.
Unlike most portable ACs that have to be drained continuously, Honeywell MN10CESWW has two draining options. The first is the manual system where you’ll have to empty the pan that collects the water inside the unit. The most convenient draining option is the self evaporation feature where the hose continuously drains the excess moisture.
4. Through the Wall Air Conditioners
Through the wall air conditioners are self-contained units that can keep one or two rooms in your home cool and comfortable all year round. While wall air conditioners are similar to window units, the only distinguishing factor is how they are installed.
Wall-mounted air conditioners are installed by drilling a hole through a wall and using sleeves to give it support. Window air conditioners, on the other hand, are installed directly in a window.
Installing a through-the-wall air conditioner has several benefits. They are less expensive and more efficient than central systems. Because of their sleek design and installation in a wall, they not only save a lot of space but also do not compromise the amount of light or view from the window.
If you decide to choose a wall ac for a room with no window, consider the size of the room and where it will be installed. Choose the appropriate amount of cooling power by taking into account the number of people that will occupy the room, ceiling height, and how open the room is to the sun.
Apart from traditional wall-mounted air conditioners, you can also install wall mini-split systems. These are ductless mini-split air conditioners that can be permanently mounted on a wall. The advantage of these units is that you don’t have to buy two separate devices.
Best Through the Wall Air Conditioner
LG LT1016CER 9,800 BTU 115V Remote Control Through-The-Wall Air Conditioner
- Your purchase includes One LG 10,000 BTU 115V Air Conditioner in White | Through-the-Wall Remote Control & Installation Kit included
- Air conditioner dimensions – 24” W x 14.41” H x 20.09” D | Weight – 70 lbs. | Indoor Noise Max rating – 56 dB | Voltage – 115V 60Hz
- Performance: 10,000 BTU | Dehumidification: 2.9 pts/hr. | Estimated cooling area – 450 Sq. Ft. | Refrigerant – R32 | CEER – 10.6
- LG air conditioners provide exceptional cooling power that will keep you and your family cool, comfortable, and in control with 3 different speeds
- Operate with LED display and simple selection control panel, up/down temperature adjustments, and fan speed selection, using the full-featured remote without leaving your bed, workspace, or couch
The LG LT1016CER 9,800 BTU 115V Remote Control Through-The-Wall Air Conditioner provides superior cooling for rooms up to 440 square feet. It’s energy-efficient with an EER of 10.7 and an energy saver mode that cycles the fan on and off, eliminating unnecessary energy wastage.
It has three operating modes; cooling mode, fan-only mode, and dry mode. For efficient cooling, set the thermostat to your ideal temperature and select your preferred airflow from the 3 fan speeds.
When the weather isn’t chilly enough, turn on the fan-only mode to circulate air across the room. If the room feels stuffy and humid, turn the dry mode to remove the excess water.
Remember, wall air conditioners are permanently installed through your wall, and it’s only wise to hire a professional to do the job. Improper installation can cause unwanted drafts when the ac is turned on.
Also, make sure the unit is appropriately maintained — schedule for maintenance service, including changing the filter to increase the lifespan of the unit.
Window air conditioners are not the only types of cooling units that can be installed in rooms without windows. As you have realized, you have several options, and all of them will keep you cool when the heat gets unbearable.
If I were to suggest only one air conditioner for rooms without windows, it would be a ductless mini-split system. It’s not affordable considering the initial purchasing cost but its operation and maintenance costs are much less than other units.