Before temperatures reach record highs, you must take precautions to ensure your home is well equipped to keep you cool. One of the ways of beating the heat is by using fans that blow cold air.
The benefit of using a fan that blows out cold air is that it not only controls the temperature in your room but also encourages the core body temperature to drop. If it’s used to supplement an air conditioner, it creates a breezy feeling that makes you comfortable.
Do Fans Blow Cold Air?
Fans don’t necessarily blow cold air. They circulate air from another source of cooling, like an air conditioner. When you have an air-conditioned house, for instance, adding a tower fan that blows cold air makes it easier for the air to evaporate sweat from your skin. As a result, heat is eliminated from your body. The more evaporation, the cooler you feel.
Is there a Fan that Blows Cold Air?
Regular fans don’t blow cold air. However, some fans like tower fans are specifically designed for this purpose. They have unique features that allow them to circulate cool air at different angles. In this buying guide, we have reviewed some of the best fans that blow really cold air.
Will these Fans Cool my Room?
Just like I have mentioned before, fans don’t make the air colder on their own. They basically circulate air that is already in the room, creating a wind-chill effect.
There are several ways to keep your room cool both with or without air conditioners. You can also use fans that cool like air conditioners if you don’t have the budget for an AC.
10 Best Fans That Blow Cold Air Reviews
1. Vornado 660 Large Whole Room Air Circulator Fan
- POWERFUL VORTEX ACTION — Utilizes Vornado's signature Vortex air circulation to more effectively move air throughout the entire room
- SIMPLE CONTROLS — The 4-speed push-button controls are easy to use and are conveniently located on the top of the circulator
- MULTI-DIRECTIONAL AIRFLOW — Equipped with a stylish chrome glide bar that allows you to direct the air where you need it
- OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE — Deep-pitched blades paired with an inlet guide cone, enclosed air duct, and spiral grill help move air up to 100 ft
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — Backed by a 5-year hassle-free promise and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
- Built to meet U. S. voltage requirements. Certified, safety-tested, and warrantied for use only in the U. S
When it comes to purchasing a new fan, Vornado is a trusted brand. All their fans comply with US regulatory requirements.
The Vornado CR1-0121-06 660 works perfectly for a small office, bedroom, or even your living room. It delivers excellent air circulation for its size.
It comes in 2 different colors and 3 different sizes. Irrespective of the color you choose, you will love the chrome design of this fan. The quality is outstanding. It can withstand minor falls, and it is very stable when you place it on a desktop or table.
Vornado CR1-0121-06 660 comes with a 4-speed setting. It is very quiet when operated at level 1 but a bit louder when you run it at level 4. At any level, this fan blows a column of air and circulates the air efficiently throughout the room. You can also control the airflow with the help of chrome glide bars that come with this fan.
Overall, this is a great fan with beautiful design, long chord, long operating hours, and relatively low noise. Some may consider it pricey, but it worth the money for its performance.
- Less maintenance
- Available in 2 different colors
- Can move air up to 100 feet
- Chrome grill design
- Long Cord
- A bit noisy
2. Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier Tower Fan
- Dyson fans use patented Air Multiplier technology to create a powerful stream of uninterrupted airflow without fast-spinning blades making it safe for children, pets and during cleaning
- 2 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller
- Dyson fans are quiet and powerful while being safe and easy to clean
- Features include sleep timer which can be programmed to turn off after preset intervals ranging from 15 minutes to nine hours
- Remote control has the choice of 10 precise airflow settings. The remote is curved and magnetized to store neatly on the machine
You can hardly say no to Dyson fan if budget isn’t a limiting factor. Over the years, this brand has proven itself as the leader when it comes to making modern, luxurious fans with high quality and performance. The new Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier also meets these qualities with which Dyson fans are known.
Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier is a high-performing tower fan and can cool larger or smaller rooms. It boasts of max airflow of 500l/s. With 10-speed settings, this fan can easily make your room just as cool as you want it.
At any level, this fan is capable of generating consistent, smooth airflow without much noise. It comes with a timer to turn off the fan automatically. Besides, you can also make use of remote control, which by the way, has a magnetized design for convenient storage.
This fan that blows ice cold air has been described as engineering excellence. The design makes it a luxurious appliance to have in your room. It is completely bladeless, sleek-looking, and Energy Star compliant.
The aesthetic design of this tower fan alone makes it worth a spot in your home or office. It can easily make a room cool while operating quietly. We highly recommend this fan if money is no object.
- Energy Star compliant
- Quiet, whisper-like airflow generation
- Digital LED display
- No blades or grill
- Aesthetic, modern, and luxurious design
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Magnetized remote control for convenient storage
- Limited Tilt
3. Lasko T42951 Wind Curve Oscillating Tower Fan
- 【POWER YOU CAN FEEL】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Household Fan produces air flow at 1143 ft./min to keep you cool all day and night; With 3 adjustable speeds and a remote control, this tower fan is perfect for large rooms, bedrooms, and offices.
- 【ICONIC BLADELESS DESIGN】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan has a slim and sturdy design fits beautifully into any home or office décor providing all-day cooling comfort. Portable and easy-to-assemble at only 15.5 lbs, this tower fan has a molded handle.
- 【OPTIMAL WIDESPREAD OSCILLATION】While other fans promote 90 degrees of oscillation, we designed the 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan with the perfect amount of oscillation, taking less time for the fan to oscillate, so you get to feel more of the breeze.
- 【AUTOMATIC TIMER + QUIET NIGHTTIME MODE】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan has a 7.5-hour timer for easy on/off during the day or night; A D31quiet nighttime setting automatically dims the LED and decreases speed so you can sleep peacefully and stay cool.
- 【DESIGNED IN THE USA】Designed and engineered in the USA; Backed by our 1-yr manufacturer’s warranty, Lasko has more than 115 years of American design and manufacturing experience building high-quality, ETL, reliable fans to keep you cool at home.
- 3-speed oscillating tower fan
- Wind Curve profile and 42.5" height help maximize air distribution
- Energy-saving timer offers auto shut-off up to 7-1/2 hours
- ETL listed, patented, fused safety plug
- 1-year limited warranty
Lasko T42951 will impress you right out of the packaging. This is one of the most luxurious fans you can have in your home and office. It is a unique and high-quality tower fan, and many reviewers, as well as current users of this fan, believe it is one of the best tower fans in the market.
This model comes with 3-speed settings like the older model. However, it is taller than many other models making it a perfect choice for taller beds, especially if you like an airflow over your mattress.
Thanks to the design, it creates a powerful breeze and circulates the air very efficiently. It also boasts of an in-built carry handle, optional oscillation, as well as energy-efficient auto shut-off timer programmable from 0.5 to 7.5 hours.
Lasko T42951 is designed to improve your home decor. The sleek and attractive look of this fan makes it perfect for your sitting-room and office spaces. When in operation, it is so quiet that you can hardly notice it.
Overall, Lasko T42951 is a high-quality tower fan. Only a few other tower fans can be compared to it. Nevertheless, the quality, efficiency, powerful air circulation, and the sleek-look of this fan ensure it deserves a place in your home.
- Powerful air circulation
- Easy assembly
- Modern and sleek design
- 3-speed settings
- Very quiet operation
- Takes up large space
- Mostly for small rooms
4. Lasko 42″ Wind Curve Oscillating Tower Fan
- 【POWER YOU CAN FEEL】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan has 3-speeds to keep you feeling cooler all day… and night. With 3 adjustable speeds, this tower fan is perfect for large rooms, bedrooms, and offices. This household tower fan comes with a remote control with 5 controls: on/off, timer, speed, oscillation, and ionizer setting toggle.
- 【ICONIC BLADELESS DESIGN】With a category defining, slim, sturdy, bladeless design, the 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan fits beautifully into your home or office décor while providing all-day cooling comfort. Portability is also built into this easy-to-assemble household tower fan - at only 15.5 lbs and 13" diameter base, this tower fan has a molded carrying handle that makes it simple to pick-up and move with you.
- 【OPTIMAL WIDESPREAD OSCILLATION】While other fans promote a full 90 degrees oscillation , we designed the 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan with the perfect amount of oscillation to ensure you feel more of the breeze so you're not waiting longer for the fan to come back around.
- 【AUTOMATIC TIMER + FRESH AIR IONIZER】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan offers a 7.5-hour timer for easy on/off through the day or night. This tower floor fan comes with a fresh air ionizer option that adds millions of negative ions to the air, creating a fresh air feeling like the great outdoors.
- 【DESIGNED IN THE USA】Designed and engineered in the USA and backed by our 1-year manufacturer’s warranty, Lasko has more than 115 years of American design and manufacturing experience building high-quality, ETL, safe and reliable fans to make your home or office more comfortable. Lasko is the #1 Fan Brand in the U.S. Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service, U.S. dollars and unit Sales, 12 months ending March 2022.
Lasko 42” Wind Curve Tower Fan, just like other Lasko fans, is built to impress you the moment you take them out of the packaging. It is easy to assemble, lightweight and can be used both in small rooms and moderately large rooms. At 42.4 inches high, it is one of the tallest tower fans in the market.
This is an attractive, sleek-looking fan with silver paneling. During operation, it oscillates up to 90 degrees, which is why it is easy for it to keep the entire room cool. The perfect air circulation is made possible by design. The fan also comes with an ionizer that helps you to reduce the allergens in the air.
Lasko 42 comes with a flexible timer that allows you to set it from 30 minutes to 7.5 hours. The modern and sleek look of this tower fan makes it perfect for public spaces like your office and sitting-room. It is made from lightweight plastic but sturdier than it looks.
Overall, Lasko 42 is a high-quality tower fan that offers a cool, gentle breeze for smaller and moderately large offices and rooms. The fan is very quiet during operation and circulates air efficiently.
- Modern and Sleek
- 3-speed settings
- Lightweight plastic construction
- Easy to assemble
- Carry handle
- Sleep timer
- Blades are difficult to clean
5. Ozeri OZF1 Ultra 42 inch Tower Fan
- Boasts a sophisticated and stylish space-saving design that complements and enhances room decor.
- Engineered to generate more air velocity with less noise on a foot-per-minute to dB basis, setting a new benchmark for noiseless airflow.
- Features 3 preprogrammed airflow patterns designed to foster sleep, relaxation and comfort, 3 whisper-quiet speed settings with 90 degree oscillation for optimal air circulation, and a new LED screen with a light dimming night mode.
- Includes a 12 hour timer that can be programmed in 1 hour increments with push-button ease, an intelligent screen that displays room temperature, and an enhanced-range remote control that conveniently stores in the fan.
- Easy to assemble (no tools required). Ships with fan, base, extension column (to customize fan height), enhanced-range remote control, manual and warranty card. Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- 5000 CFM
Ozeri OZF1 is a great fan with a design that will complement your living space. It is engineered to generate more air velocity with less noise and comes with an LED screen display to show you the current temperature of your room.
This fan is easy to assembly. It boasts of a sophisticated and stylish space-saving design. To ensure air is efficiently circulated, Ozeri OZF1 comes with 3 different airflow patterns.
It also boasts of 3-speed settings. During operation, Ozeri OZF1 oscillates 90 degrees to ensure maximum air circulation throughout your space. The 3-speed levels also guarantee a low noise level.
There is a remote control for easy control. The LCD will show you the current temperature of your room. The display screen is dimmable. However, some users complained it is still too bright even after dimming it. The fan is lightweight but sturdier than it looks. Overall, it is a high-quality fan that will improve the aesthetics of your home and ensure your space is cool and healthy.
- Superior performance
- Flexible timer
- The LCD screen display the current room temperature
- 3-Speed Settings
- Users complained that LCD screen is too bright even when dimmed
6. Arctic-Pro Digital Screen Oscillating Tower Fan
- FEATURES: 3 Speeds to create suitable airflow that is wisper quiet
- OSCILLATING: Provides 80 Degrees of Oscillation to deliver even airflow over an entire room
- REMOTE CONTROL: Comes with a convenient Remote Control to use from afar
- NIGHT MODE: Night Mode to turn off the screen at night, while still in use
- TWO CONFIGURATIONS: Measures 42-Inch Off the Ground with pedestal, OR attach fan directly to the base.
Arctic-Pro is an intuitive fan with powerful airflow and nice remote control features. This fan comes with features that make it unique and different from other tower fans, you know.
This model boasts 3 operation modes, which include “Regular,” “Breeze,” and “Night.” When you operate it at “Regular,” you can also choose whether you want it at high, medium, or low.
At Night Mode, this fan becomes very intuitive. This mode will automatically turn off the screen at night while still in use, which makes the fan perfect for sensitive night sleepers. It also boasts of a timer that can automatically turn off the fan after a certain period, up to 12 hours.
Arctic-Pro provides 80 degrees of oscillation to deliver even airflow over an entire room. It features a unique save-spacing design. This quality makes it an idyllic choice for a congested space. Besides, the dark gray finish would outfit most interior decors easily.
Overall, this is a great fan. It boasts of superior performance and features you won’t find in other tower fans. Arctic-Pro is also considerably cheaper compared to other tower fans.
- Modern and attractive look
- Remote control for easier operation
- The fan can be installed in 2 different positions
- 3-speed settings
- Has a wide base for enhanced stability
- Improper packaging
7. Honeywell HYF290B QuietSet Whole Room Tower Fan
- Included Components: Honeywell QuietSet Whole Room Tower Fan - Black, HYF290B.Voltage:100-120 volts.Number of speeds:8
- Voltage: 100120
- Perfect for cooling a medium to large size room without taking up much space
Honeywell HYF290B is a lightweight fan designed for small rooms. It boasts of 8-speed that gives you the feel of a spring breeze and comes with QuietSet technology that allows you to enjoy almost noiseless operation. This quiet, oscillating tower fan is lightweight with a sturdy base. It is a perfect fan for those who want to save energy.
Honeywell HYF290B comes with the ability to run at 8 different speeds. This is made possible with the unique QuietSet technology. This technology ensures you get the amount of airflow you want without a lot of noise.
The fan is very easy to control with a chrome button on the control panel. You can as well operate it directly from the comfort of your bed or couch with the remote control. There is an LED display that comes with this fan. This display screen makes it very easy to see your speed setting at just a glance.
Overall, Honeywell HYF290B comes with a powerful cooling ability that can be compared with any other high-performing tower fan in the market today. It is sturdy, easy to assemble, easy to clean and maintain. The price is also significantly lower than most other tower fans in this range.
- Very quiet during operation
- Comes with adjustable lighting
- An above-average amount of speeds to choose from
- Remote control
- Low air output
8. Seville Classics UltraSlimline Oscillating Tower Fan
- 4 ultra-quiet speed settings High, Medium, Low, energy-saving "Eco"
- Smooth air intake grill is designed to minimize noise and maximize airflow for a quiet breeze at all speeds
- Oscillates 75 degrees side-to-side for fast-spreading, powerful air movement; space-saving compact design takes up of less than 1 sq. ft.
- Timer enables programmable shutdown from 30 minutes to 7. 5 hours; adjusts at half-hour increments
- LED-lit control panel for easy operation up close; includes remote control with up to 15 ft. of range (battery included)
- 6.25 ft. power cord, Dimensions: 11.25" D x 11" W x 40" H, Weight: 10.7 lbs.
- 275 CFM
The Seville Classics UltraSlimline is a perfect tower fan to improve your home decor and cool down a small and a medium room. It comes with features that are lacking in some other tower fans currently in the market. Moreover, this fan is a combo of a large and small fan. You can use the large fan to keep bigger rooms cool while the smaller one can be used as a personal cooler.
Perhaps, what made this fan unique is that it is very straightforward and easy to use. It comes with a five-button remote and batteries. Every function of the fan can be controlled with remote control. There is also a flexible timer you can set to automatically turn off the fan between a half-hour and 7.5 hours. For easy storage, you can hang the remote at the handy clip on the back of the unit.
Seville Classics UltraSlimline boasts of a powerful airflow when you are using any of the 4-speed levels. It oscillates side-to-side for a full 75 degrees of movement and fast-spreading, powerful air movement; space-saving compact design takes up less than 1 sq. ft. The bigger fan will surely keep your fan cool.
Overall, Seville Classics UltraSlimline is one of the best tower fans in the market today. It comes with an intuitive remote. The fan performs above expectations during a test. Apart from the customer service which a lot of users complained about, we found everything about this fan great.
- Ultra-slim space-saving construction
- Wide oscillation and powerful airflow
- 3-speed settings
- Remote control with batteries included
- It works quietly
- Safe for kids
- Customer service sucks
9. Vornado 184 Whole Room Air Circulator Tower Fan
- V-FLOW TECHNOLOGY – Utilizes Vornado's signature V-Flow Technology to provide complete circulation of all the air in a room. Unique crosscut outlet create a wide span of constant airflow, eliminating the need for a wobbly oscillating base..Voltage: 120 volts.Number of speeds:4
- MOVES AIR FURTHER – Powerful motor produces higher volume of air movement and pushes air up to 100 feet. Blade Diameter-4.039.5 inch Logo color may vary.
- ENERGY SAVING TIMER – Choose from 1, 2, 4, or 8 hour timer to ensure you run your tower circulator in an efficient, energy-saving way.
- SIMPLE CONTROLS – Push-button controls allow you to select from 4 speed settings, and a remote control that magnetically cradles at the top of the unit provides additional convenience.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a Vornado Tower Fan, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 5 years.
- Built to meet U. S. voltage requirements. Certified, safety-tested, and warrantied for use only in the U. S.
When it comes to manufacturing impressive, high-quality fans, Vornado is known worldwide. No doubt, the Vornado 184 is one of the company’s best fans at the moment.
This fan ranks as one of the best-selling fans on various online platforms. Most experts attributed the success of Vornado 184 to the unique contemporary design and V-air flow technology of this tower fan.
Vornado 184 boasts of V-Flow circulation. This technology eliminates the need for oscillation and covers large area ranges for effective air circulation. This model gushes out about 505 cubic feet volume of air per minute which puts it above other tower fans and makes it very effective for small rooms and even large rooms.
When it comes to design, Vornado 184 measures 11-inches in width, 41-inches in height, and 11-inches in length. It also boasts of a circular structure and contoured air vents which ensures maximum range in the room. The design and finish are engineering excellence.
Overall, Vornado 184 will impress you in every way. It gushes out more air than most tower fans in the market. It is easy to control, clean, and maintain. We are pretty sure you will be satisfied with this fan.
- Modern, attractive design
- Easy to assemble
- Superior airflow
- Easy to clean
- 5-year warranty
- Noisy on the high-speed setting
- Less speed setting option
10. Holmes Oscillating Tower Fan HT38R-U
- Three speed settings
- Top mounted control panel with LED lights
- Oscillation for wide area coverage
- Automatic shut off timer
Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U is a tech-friendly fan for those looking for a tower fan to enjoy a cooler atmosphere when it gets too hot inside. Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U is perfect for small rooms and can even be used in a large area. During operation, this fan reduces the humidity and makes the room cooler in just a few minutes. It is an inexpensive fan with a generous 3-year warranty.
The Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U stands just over 3 feet tall, which is enough height to blow air over most furniture and beds. The three-speed settings and the powerful oscillation of the fan ensures the air generated is circulated across a wide area. Holmes designed this fan to be energy-efficient. You can save 60% energy just by switching from your current fan to Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U.
Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U boasts of a multi-functional control panel that allows you to change speed settings. Whether you choose high, medium, or low, the fan guarantees very quiet operation. You can also control it from the comfort of your bed or couch with remote control. Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U has an automatic timer. You can set it to shut off the fan up to 8 hours automatically. This eliminates the need to compromise your sleep in the middle of the night.
Overall, Holmes Oscillating HT38R-U is one of the most affordable and quiet tower fans in the market at the moment. It also comes with a generous 3-year warranty. This fan is perfect for small and midsize rooms.
- Very quiet operation
- Integrated handle for easy carrying
- Aesthetically-pleasing LED light
- Remote control for easy operation
- Doesn’t purify the air
Things to Consider When Buying a Fan That Blows Cold Air
Buying a fan may seem straightforward until you begin the buying process. Then, you come across different fan designs, styles, and functionalities available, and you are caught in a dilemma.
What do you do to ensure you select the right fan that suits your personal preferences while still helping you to stay cool and save on energy? My simple answer- read on and learn about the things to consider when buying a fan.
1. Where Will You Use the Fan- Household or Commercial?
The first thing you will want to consider is using your fan to blow cold air. Do you need it for your house or your commercial space?
If you need to cool off any space in your house, you are better off getting a household fan. You will find a diverse array of household fans, including heavy-duty ones to suit your needs. But, you will have to have decided on the exact room you will want to cool to get the design that suits your household needs.
It would be best to get a commercial or an industrial fan for commercial usage. Commercial fans have a heavier duty and durable construction to help them withstand long-running hours while still effectively cooling those large spaces.
But, again, you will also have to determine the exact size of the commercial room operation that you intend to use the commercial fan to get the best option.
2.Type of Household Fan
If you have already decided on getting a household fan, you need to start getting more specific. This will help you decide the exact type of household fan you need. After all, the market is flooded with different types of household fans.
But, where do you start? I recommend first identifying the size of the household space that you will need to cool. We all know that every household space will need different cooling levels depending on its use.
For example, the level of cooling you will need in the garage cannot be the same level of cooling in the bedroom. Now let’s look at the different types of household fans and the spaces that would cool effectively.
- Misting fans
There is no better way to spend your summer than outside. But the heat will have you almost baking in no time except if you get a misting fan. You can get a misting fan for your outdoor household use, as it will provide airflow and a fine mist to keep things cool.
- Ceiling fans
Ceiling fans are ideal for bigger rooms. They evenly distribute the air in your larger rooms and provide that cool draft therein.
- Tower and pedestal fans
Tower fans are appropriate for air circulation in your medium-sized rooms. Pedestal fans will elevate your fan head and introduce maximum cooling to your medium-large-sized rooms.
- Tabletop and floor fans
Tabletop and floor fans are some of my favorites. They are portable, meaning you can shift them from space to space to access personalized cooling. They will work well in rooms where you can place them on the table or the floor while still having great access to you, who needs the cooling.
- Personal fans
A personal fan will be ideal for a smaller room such as the bathroom or your home office if it is small. A smaller room requires less air movement due to the limited space. A personal fan with its size will be effective for such rooms.
- Garage and shop fans
I have not forgotten your garage. Your garage needs a heavier duty fan which you can select from the wide array of garage and shop fans available.
3. Type of Commercial Fan
Most of us might fall into the trap of thinking there is no need to differentiate the commercial fan you need. Well, I am here to ensure you don’t fall into this destructive trap.
Instead, you need to look at the size of your commercial space to get the most appropriate type of commercial fan for your needs. So, which are the available fans, and which commercial space can you use them in?
- High-velocity floor fans
The strong, durable, high-velocity fans will deliver maximum airflow to your large commercial spaces.
- Ceiling HLVS fan
Ceiling HLVS fans are the unsung heroes of cooling covered outdoor areas. You may dismiss them for their slow operating speeds, but they will still be the best for your gym, warehouse, or any other covered outdoor area due to their unmatched airflow.
- Drum blowers
If you are looking for a heavy-duty portable fan that delivers high-velocity airflow, then drum blowers are your best bet. They are ideal for larger commercial spaces such as loading docks and auto shops.
- Wall-mount fans
Your farm spaces and facilities also need good temperatures, and wall-mount fans are ideal for providing powerful air circulation in such spaces.
4. Fan Power/CFM
How much airflow does your fan generate in cubic feet per meter (CFM)? The CFM determines the power of your fan. It would help if you got a powerful fan to meet your cooling needs, whether within your household or commercial space. How do you determine the fan power that suits your needs?
First, identify the size of the space you are cooling in cubic feet. Second, check the CFM rating of the fan, then divide the two to determine the number of minutes the fan will take to circulate air in the room once.
Size of space = 9000 cubic feet
CFM rating of the fan = 300 CFM
Number of minutes taken to circulate air in the room once = 9000÷300 = 30 minutes
In one hour, the fan will have circulated the air two times. i.e 60 minutes÷30 =2 times
Next, check the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) guidelines on the recommended changes per hour for your specific space.
5. Additional Considerations
After determining the place of usage and the type of fan, you should check some additional features.
If you love convenience, which I believe we all do, you should check whether the fan comes with remote control. It will allow you to control your fan in the comfort of any place in your space.
You should also check the adjustable fan height and head, especially if you have a pedestal fan. Sometimes you may need to adjust the fan height or head to redirect airflow.
The fan speeds can also be a deal-breaker. Ensure you check the fan speeds before buying a fan to get the airflow options of your choice.
How to Cool Down a Room with Fans If You Don’t Have AC
If you don’t have an AC or are looking for the most energy-efficient and cost-effective ways to cool down your room, you are on the right site.
Here, we outline the best ways to cool down a room with fans if you don’t have AC.
1. Create a Crosswind
Creating a crosswind will instantly get hot air out and cool air inside your house. But, how do you create a crosswind? You will need to use two fans. If the condition outside your house is hotter than inside the house, like what happens during the day, I recommend keeping your windows closed and the curtains drawn. It will prevent the heat from the scorching sun from beating down your house.
Now, when the temperatures outside cool down as it does in the evenings, you can open your windows. Place your first fan facing out of the window to push hot air out. Place the second one faces inwards to circulate cool air into your space. You will have created a crosswind and successfully cooled down your room without an AC.
2. Position your Fan Strategically
It would also help keep your house cool if you strategically positioned your window fans. The fans pulling in cool air should be on the coolest side of your space, which gets more shade.
The fans pushing air outside should be on the part getting less shade, which is the south side of your space. Ensure that you open as many doors as possible when running these fans to ensure maximum airflow.
And a pro-tip? Ensure you have an equal number of fans- those pushing hot air out and those pulling in cool air.
3. Point Fan in the Right Direction
I have heard many questions on the right direction to point a fan. For example, should you point fan in or out of window? Which direction should fan blades point or rotate? And the good news is, today, you get some pretty good answers.
Fans cool people by allowing evaporation of their sweat. Based on this, it is better and more effective to point fans inwards whether the air outside the home is cooler than inside the home or not. However, if you use two fans to create a crosswind, you can point one fan outwards to expel the hot air within your space.
You need to ensure that your fan rotates counterclockwise in the balmy summer season for best results on blade rotation. The counterclockwise rotation creates a chilly effect by ensuring that the air is pushed straight down. If it’s winter, the opposite applies.
4. Try Ice Bucket air Conditioning
I know that sometimes, the coolness from the fan may not be enough, especially when it’s blazing hot outside. So what can you do? Well, I always love to recommend some DIY. You can get creative by getting some ice from your refrigerator to make a DIY AC unit.
Place the ice in a bucket or any other container and place it in front of your tower fan. The tower fan will blow in the cool air from the ice, reinforcing its cool breeze. It can be tiring to keep repeating this, but hey, it’s summer, and it won’t last forever.
5. Place Wet Towel on Fan
Placing a wet towel on a fan will significantly make the air in your room cooler through evaporative cooling. The dry, hot air in the room will absorb the cool air coming from the wet towel, causing it to become significantly cooler. The fan will then blow off the cold air into the room, causing the fan and the room to be cooler.
6. Place Frozen Water Bottle Behind Fan
‘A frozen water bottle in front of a fan is okay, but a frozen water bottle behind fan, no way?’ You probably think you saw it wrong. But, you can cool down a room with fans without AC if you place a frozen water bottle behind fan.
You only need to freeze an empty plastic water bottle and place it behind your fan. The fan will continue sucking air even from its rear. As the warmer air from your room passes near the frozen water bottle behind fan, it loses heat to the frozen bottle.
So, the air that the fan will suck from behind this time will be cold. Hence, the fan will generate cooler air in the entire room. But, when the bottle starts to get to room temperature, it’s time to replace it.
How to Make a Fan Colder and More Efficient
We spend all winter longing for summer, but we are all cursing on the heat when summer comes. Your fan becomes your best friend. On some days, you curse your fan feeling that it doesn’t make much difference.
But, I won’t dwell much on our constant dissatisfaction with nature. Rather, I will help you stop cursing your fan by understanding how to make a fan colder and more efficient.
1. Keep your Fan Clean
If you have caught hay fever during the summer, you know that you need to keep your fan clean. Apart from preventing hay fever, keeping your fan clean will prevent the accumulated dust and dirt from restricting airflow. So how then do you keep your fan clean?
For most fans, you need first to unplug it from the power source and use a dry piece of cloth or duster to clean off dust from the air intakes and exits.
If you want to give your fan a thorough clean, unscrew the front grill to slide off the blades. You will need to check the fan’s manual again to understand how to unscrew without damaging any part of the fan. Next, whirl the blades and grill in warm soapy water, rinse, and dry completely. Finally, re-assemble the fan, and it will be clean from dirt and dust. I recommend deep cleaning of your fan monthly, especially during summer. Please be sure of the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning your fan.
2. Deal with Your Noisy Fan or Get Rid of It Altogether
Nothing is as frustrating as a hot summer night with a noisy fan. You will barely sleep. So, if you have a noisy fan, it’s about time you got rid of it and checked out a variety of quiet bedroom fans.
But, if this isn’t part of your budget this summer, worry not. You can place the noisy fan outside your bedroom but point them to you through the open doorway. This way, you have lesser noise but sufficient air circulation.
If you take this route, ensure you open up as many windows as possible and take a cold shower before bedtime to cool yourself and the house.
3. DIY an Evaporative Cooler
You can make your fan cooler and more efficient by making a DIY evaporative cooler. If you are not a DIY fan, don’t leave yet, this is simple and fun. You will need to place ice packs, ice cubes, or frozen ”water” in a container in front of your fan. The fan will then blow off cooler streams of air into your space.
I know that you would hate the mess that the condensation drips would cause from the frozen items. The good news is, you don’t have to withstand them. Place the cold components on a shallow tray to collect the condensation drips.
And if you want to make this a bit fun, you can use the DIY method to defrost your frozen food during summer. That way, you get to hit two birds with one stone.
4. Stick to the Lowest Fan Speed
I know you probably ask why you should stick to the lowest fan speed when the heat is almost killing you. If you turn on your fan to the maximum speed, it will shift more air and use more electricity. And we know more electricity use equals more heat generation. So, use the lowest fan speed to keep your house cooler.
5. Invest in a Dehumidifier
Humidity levels skyrocket during summer, preventing your sweat from evaporating and leaving you feeling like you are in a furnace. So, what better way to reduce the effects of the increased humidity than to invest in a dehumidifier.
If you wonder how it works, it will suck moisture out of the air, turning wet heat in your space into dry heat. Your fan will then have an easier time cooling off dry heat than cooling off wet heat, making it more effective.
6. Only Open Your Windows When It’s Cooler Outside
By now, we all know that heat is the temporary enemy during summer. So, we do everything to keep the heat from wreaking havoc in our spaces. And if it means not opening our windows and curtains during the day, so be it. But before we stamp this, you need some explanation.
If it’s very hot outside, rushing to open the windows will cause the scorching sun to beat up your house. The result? The heat that we don’t want and our fans can’t manage to chase out. Thus, I recommend opening the windows when it is less humid outside or cooler, like in the evenings or night.
This simple action will significantly cool your home while allowing your fan to work better and provide that much-needed and relieving breeze.
Cold Air Fans FAQ
How Do You Make Cold Air with a Fan and Ice?
You make cold air with a fan and ice by setting a bowl of ice or an ice pack in front of your fan. The ice will begin to melt. On the other hand, the fan will pick up the coolness of the ice and blow off cold air into the room.
Does Putting Ice in Front of a Fan Make It Cooler?
Yes, putting ice in front of a fan makes it cooler. The fan blows off cooler air into the room as the ice melts. However, the method doesn’t hold for long. As the ice melts, the air returns to the original cold air that the fan was emitting.
Does Putting Ice in Front of a Fan Work?
Yes, putting ice in front of a fan works. Ice absorbs heat as it melts, releasing cold air. The fan, in turn, blows cold air into the room but not for long. So you have to decide whether it is worth your time to keep on adding ice to keep the air cool.
Does Putting a Wet Towel Over a Fan Make It Cooler?
Yes, putting a wet towel over a fan makes it cooler through a process called evaporative cooling. Dry air from the room will absorb water from the towel. The fan will then blow off the cold air from the water into the room, causing the fan and the room to be cooler.
What Is the Fastest Way to Cool Down a Room with a Fan?
The fastest way to cool down a room with a fan is to set it up correctly. You should ensure your fan is running anti-clockwise in the hot weather. When running in the anti-clockwise direction, your fan will spread cool air and not warm air. You should also set up a fan pointing inwards.
Does Putting a Bowl of Water in Front of a Fan Work?
Yes, putting a bowl of water in front of a fan works. However, the air sucked in by the fan should be warmer than the water to continue keeping the room cool. Immediately the water becomes warmer; the method stops working as hot air will still be blown into your space.
Should I Point the Fan in or Out?
It would be best if you pointed the fan inwards whether the air outside the home is cooler than inside the home or not. Fans do not significantly impact room temperatures as they cool people. So pointing the fan inwards makes more sense as the people to be cooled are on the inside.