Dyson fans are some of the most expensive fans compared to other fans on the market. However, they are also among the most popular fans globally.
Consumers especially love that the average Dyson fan is smaller, more stylish, and substantially more powerful than alternative fans. The fans are also far more durable than competing models. Above all, they tend to focus on bladeless fans, which are inherently safer than bladed models.
If you’re one of the people planning to acquire one this summer, you’re in luck. Dyson is constantly adding new items to its product range. Some of the more recent models are even more compact, stylistically appealing, and technologically advanced to solve your air conditioning needs with more guile.
Smallest Dyson Fan Buying Guide
First off, it’s evident that Dyson fans are fan systems made by the renowned HVAC manufacturer Dyson, owned by James Dyson. Dyson also manufactures heaters, vacuum cleaners, air purifiers, and other home heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
However, they tend to use unique, advanced technologies to deliver more user-friendly products that more effective and more durable. In general, their products also tend to be pricier. The first Dyson fan was launched in October 2009.
How Dyson Bladeless Fans Work
Dyson fans are bladeless units also known as air multipliers. Air multipliers don’t have any visual blades. Instead, they rely on a slit inside the tube to deliver a strong air breeze (warm or cool).
The process is pretty straightforward. The motor concealed inside the fan system rotates nine asymmetrically aligned blades also wholly concealed inside the system. This action pulls air into the device. According to the manufacturer, the internal blades can pull up to 5.8 gallons (about 20 liters) of air per second.
Inside the fan system, the air flows through a channel in the pedestal up to the hollow tube. This tube serves as a curved ramp and ends in slits in the back of the fan. Air flows along the ramp, exists via the slits, and then continues along the inside of the tube and toward the fan’s front.
But, there’s more. Dyson fans use inducement to multiply the air entering the unit for a more powerful performance. As air flows through the tube and the front of the fan, the tube draws more air from behind the fan as well. The flowing air pushed by the motor induces this airflow behind the fan.
Eventually, the air around the fan also begins to flow in the direction of the breeze in a process known as entrainment. The two processes, i.e., inducement and entrainment, can multiply output airflow up to 15 times.
The newer fans are also extremely quiet after Dyson integrated Helmholtz cavities into the fans’ bases. Helmholtz cavities reduce noise by up to 75%. The lower noise levels also allowed Dyson to bring in more efficient motors. As a result, the newest Dyson fans are about 75% quieter and 40% more energy-efficient than their predecessors.
However, they are also pricier. The cheapest table models (smallest designs) cost at least $300, while the larger models are priced at over $1,200.
Pros and Cons of Dyson Fans
If you’re wondering whether purchasing a Dyson fan would be a wise idea, the following pros and cons should help you make an informed right decision;
Dyson Fan Pros
- Easier to clean than pedestal fans: They don’t have visible blades and grilles that gather dust.
- Inherently safer: The absence of fast-spinning blades makes the fans inherently safer than pedestal fans.
- Highly advanced technologically: If you’re looking for an intelligent fan with all the bells and whistles of modern tech, Dyson has your back.
- These fans often double as air purifiers: Nearly all Dyson fans double as air purifiers to remove allergens and other airborne particles from your indoor air. Some also function as supplemental heaters.
- Aesthetically attractive: Dyson fans are some of the most beautiful fans today. They are also built from durable parts and come with longer warranties.
Dyson Fan Cons
- High price tags: This is arguably the biggest downside of Dyson fans. Very few are priced below $300. The best models cost $600 to $1,000+.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Dyson Fan
Unfortunately, Dyson fans aren’t the same. Even the technologies differ from one model to the next. Consider the following factors when choosing one for your home;
- Speed range: The performance of any fan, pedestal or air-multiplying, is measured in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). The CFM value is the amount of air the fan can move per minute. Experts recommend that you find a fan that can remove the entire air volume in the room/home at least 3x every hour or fans that blow cold air.
- Oscillation range: Pretty much all Dyson fans oscillate to ensure even distribution of cool or warm air throughout the room/home. However, the degree of oscillation varies from one model to the next. While some oscillate at 350˚, others only oscillate up to 180 degrees or less.
- Filtration type: We’ve already mentioned that nearly all Dyson fans come with integrated filters that serve as air purifiers. The difference often lies in the type of filters in the fan. While some models use the highly-regarded HEPA filters, others only utilize active carbon filters and UV/ozone radiators.
- Heating option: Some Dyson fans can add a bit of heat to your home during the cold months. If you’d appreciate the extra capability, make sure to find one with a heating component. Don’t forget to evaluate the heating capacity in BTU.
- Ease of use: The best home appliances are easy to use. This applies to Dyson fans too. Make sure to find one with remote control, smart/app control (if possible), voice control (if possible), a programmable timer, and an easy-to-use control panel.
- Warranty and others: A reliable warranty is usually a hallmark of a great product. Additionally, consider the durability of the appliance and stylistic qualities.
Smallest Dyson Fan Reviews
The following is a round-up of six of the best models in 2021. Although we’ve mainly focused on performance and features, we’ve also tried to pick products from diverse price ranges to fit every budget.
1. Dyson Pure Cool Me Personal Purifying Fan
The smallest of Dyson fans is the model BP01. At 7.7 x 9.6 x 15.7 inches and weighing a mere 5.0 pounds, it’s smaller than most tower fans, even from other brands.
However, it’s also a very attractive design with a satin silver body and a molded white silver airball and center dome. An LCD screen on the base displays the airflow speed, operating mode, and filter life.
It comprises a HEPA air filter that purifies the air to protect you from dust and disease-causing organisms. The fully sealed HEPA filter captures 99.7% of airborne particles. In addition to the HEPA filter, it has a carbon filter to eliminate any other remaining airborne particles.
The air purifier fan uses core flow technology to precisely adjust airflow to deliver personalized cooling. By adjusting the dome’s position, you can change the airflow angle.
Most people prefer to point the dome towards the room. But, you can also point it towards where you’re seated for maximum airflow. The unit oscillates side to side over a 70˚ range to ensure even cooling.
It arrives with a 1.8-meter long cord for your convenience and supports Bluetooth in addition to the remote control option.
- Features Dyson Core Flow technology
- Has 10 operating speeds
- Smooth 70-degree oscillation
- Easy filter maintenance
- Supports voice control
- No Auto Mode
- No Backward Airflow mode
2. Dyson Pure Cool Purifying Fan Model DP04
- Air Multiplier Technology
- Senses Pollutants In Real Time
- Oscillates Up To 350
- Voice Control
The bladeless Dyson model DP04 fan is slightly bigger at about 27 inches tall. It’s also bulkier at 10.18 pounds. However, it’s still considered one of the smaller Dyson fans.
It’s also stylistically as impressive as the first unit, finished in a classy white and silver to seamlessly fit most decors. An LCD screen right below the dome head shows the life of the filter.
The fully-sealed 360˚ filter system combines an active carbon filter to remove gases and a Glass HEPA filter that captures 99.95% of pollutants and microscopic organisms. It relies on Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology to project 90 liters of purified air per second. You can choose to operate it in focused or oscillation mode, up to 350˚.
Remember that you can control this fan from the remote control or wirelessly from the Dyson Link app via your smartphone. The app also gives you real-time reports on indoor and outdoor air quality, temperature, humidity, and filter life.
It features a Sleep mode for night use and a valuable Auto mode that maintains air quality and temperature, so you don’t have to. You can proceed with your daily routine while the Auto mode maintains the fan speed at the best level based on prevailing environmental conditions.
- Built-in filter reminders
- Diffused mode
- Remote and app control
- Ten fan speeds
- Air quality reminders
- No timer
- No heating
3. Dyson Model 61874-01 Hot/Cool Jet Focus AM09 Fan Heater
- Year-round use: quickly heats the whole room in winter with a powerful fan to cool you in summer
- Patented Air Multiplier technology effectively projects heating or cooling into the room quickly and evenly for a comfortable environment
- Intelligent thermostat monitors the room to reach and maintain your selected temperature in heat mode so there is no wasted energy
- Safety: this fan heater has no exposed heating elements so there is no burning smell, no fast spinning blades for small fingers and paws, and if the machine is tipped over, it will automatically shut off
If you’re interested in a small Dyson fan with a heating component, the model AM09 is it. It’s about 23 inches tall, thus fairly compact for everyday use. It’s also lightweight at about 5.9 pounds.
However, it’s well worth the money, boasting strong performance and a wide range of features to ensure optimal comfort throughout the year.
Available in blue/iron or white/silver, the oscillating fan provides widespread coverage when placed on top of the table or on the floor. You can easily change the settings using the palm-sized remote. Better still, the magnetic remote device sticks to the top of the fan, so you don’t have to worry about misplacing it.
You can set the thermostat between 32 degrees and 99 degrees, allowing you to use this appliance as a heater or just a fan. No heating elements are exposed, so the unit remains safe throughout the operation, even during heating. Two operating modes – diffused and personal – meaning you can set the airflow to precisely meet your needs.
Touch-tilt technology is built into the unit so you can adjust the angle and position of the oval head for the perfect heating or cooling. A 2-year warranty backs each unit.
- Two convenient operating modes
- Works as heater and fan
- Includes HEPA filter
- 70-degree oscillation
- 2-year warranty
- No Auto mode
- No app operation
4. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool, HP01 HEPA Air Purifier, Space Heater, and Fan
- The Dyson Pure Hot Cool purifies, heats, and cools you delivering multi functionality, without compromise.Automatically detects airborne particles and gases, then diagnoses and reports them in real time.
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- CAPTURES: The sealed HEPA filter captures 99; 97 Percent of allergens as small as 0; 3 microns makes this an ideal air purifier for allergies, pets, dust, pollen and mold spores
- PROJECTS: Projects purified air throughout the whole room; Air Multiplier technology delivers over 77 gallons per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow; Up to 350 degree of oscillation directs airflow where you need it
- HEATING: Can be used for long range personal heating or fast, even room heating
- MULTI FUNCTIONALITY: Space Heater; Tower Fan; and HEPA Air Purifier; In 1 backward airflow mode purifies without cooling or heating you
- OTHER FEATURES: Sleep timer, oscillation, 10 Air Speed settings and automatic shut off if tipped over
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly and awarded the quiet Mark accreditation
- Other product listings for non authorized 3rd party sellers are not covered by official Dyson
- Night-time mode:Monitors and purifies using the quietest settings, with a dimmed display
Another Dyson fan that operates as a cool and hot blower center is the model HP01. It’s slightly taller than the AM09 at 24.88 inches tall but is about the same weight at 5.8 pounds. It’s also the same design, with an oval head. The sealed HEPA filters capture 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Several factors stand out about the HP01 fan, though. Unlike the AM09, it does have a reporting system that diagnoses environmental conditions, including airborne particles and gases, and reports them in real-time. This is invaluable as it lets you know how effectively you’re dealing with the air quality issues in your home.
Also, it has a much wider oscillation range, up to 350 degrees. Wider oscillation means more even cooling or heating as the air jet reaches every corner of the room in one full swing. It delivers up to 77 gallons of fresh air (cool or warm) per second. Remember that you can choose more focused personal heating or generally diffused airflow.
The model AH01 features a sleep mode, timer, and ten different heating speeds. It also automatically shuts off if tipped over.
- Doubles as a heater
- Features a diagnostic & reporting system
- Wide oscillation, up to 350˚
- Automatic tip-over shutoff
- Pricey at about $500
5. Dyson Multiplier AM06 Table Fan, 10 Inches
- Dyson fans use patented Air Multiplier technology to create a powerful stream of uninterrupted airflow without fast-spinning blades making it safe for children, pets and during cleaning
- 2 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller
- Dyson fans are quiet and powerful while being safe and easy to clean
- Features include sleep timer which can be programmed to turn off after preset intervals ranging from 15 minutes to nine hours
- Remote control has the choice of10 precise airflow settings. The remote is curved and magnetized to store neatly on the machine
The AM06 is the second smallest fan on this list, behind the model BP01. It measures about 19 inches from bottom to top. It’s made from aluminum and comes in a silver/white finish that easily fits most decors.
It’s also a round-head unit and features HEPA filters to remove any impurities from your indoor air. The filters can remove particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Key features of the model AM06 include 370 liters/second airflow, which makes it a good choice for medium-sized rooms and a 1.8-meter cord for flexible placement. You can have it on the table or rest it on the floor. You can also use it in many applications around the home, including the bedroom.
It’s very quiet, so you don’t have to worry about potential noise as you sleep. Moreover, a Sleep Timer feature optimizes the performance during night hours to ensure the most comfortable conditions.
The timer runs from 15 minutes to 9.0 hours, depending on your needs. The remote control means you can control the fan without leaving the sofa (or bed), while the oscillation function guarantees even cooling throughout the room.
The unit pivots on its center of gravity, allowing for easy tilting of the head to focus the airflow. You can choose from 10 fan speed settings.
- Features a sleep timer
- Enjoy magnetized remote control
- One of few units priced under $300
- 2-year parts and labor warranty
- No app control
- No air quality reporting
6. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link HP02 Wi-Fi Enabled Air Purifier Fan
- Triple Functionality: Purifies year-round, cooling fan in summer and powerful heater in winter. Now works with Amazon Alexa
- HEPA filter removes 99.97% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns including pollen, dust, mold spores, bacteria and pet dander. Second filter layer with active carbon captures household odors and volatile organic compounds such as paint fumes
- Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly and awarded the Quietmark accreditation
- Automatically monitors and reacts. Dyson Link app provides real-time air quality reports and allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone – standard data and messaging rates may apply
- Has auto mode, sleep timer, night-time mode and easy to clean. With no fast-spinning blades it’s safe for little fingers or paws
Finally, the triple-function HP02 is an advanced version of the model HP01. It’s even the same height at about 24.88 inches. However, it’s slightly bulkier at about 8.62 pounds. It works as a powerful air purifier, a cooling fan in the hot summer, and a heater when the temperatures dip.
Similar to other Dyson fans, it features highly-rated HEPA filters to eliminate up to 99.97% of airborne particles from your home. A second filtration system comprising carbon filters helps eliminate odors and smoke particles. All this happens very quietly. Indeed, the model HP02 boasts the Quiet Mark, which is the true sign of a quiet appliance.
You can choose the focused mode for personalized cooling or heating or the diffused mode for general air conditioning. Whichever your choice, the oscillation function ensures even distribution of air.
Moreover, the fan connects to the Dyson Link app, which provides real-time diagnostics to ensure the best indoor conditions. Standard data and messaging rates may apply.
An auto mode for greater convenience, a Sleep timer so you can sleep more comfortably, and an automatic night-time mode combine to make your work a lot easier. A 2-year warranty backs the fan.
- Doubles a heater
- Wi-Fi app control
- Quiet Mark accreditation
- Includes Sleep timer and auto night mode
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- A tad expensive at close to $700
Is the Dyson fan worth it? Yes. Dyson fans are highly reliable fans boasting superior build quality and tons of advanced features. They are worth the hype.
Does a Dyson fan actually cool air? No. Like other fans, Dyson fans merely create a cool ‘breeze’ by creating movement in the air.
Is a Dyson fan better than an air conditioner? It depends on your situation. For general fanning, Dyson fans are better. However, if you’re interested in air conditioning, a rear Air Conditioner is the more logical choice but you can try fans that feel like air conditioners.
What’s the best Dyson hot and cool fan? The models AM09, HP01, and HP02 are some of the best Dyson hot + cool fans.
Dyson fans can be a value-for-money investment if you’re looking to add a durable, reliable, and powerful fan to your cooling and heating arsenal.
They are some of the most stylish fans around and boast true HEPA filters to eliminate 99.9% of airborne particles from your home. Although the prices can be steep, you should strongly consider getting one.