Central air systems are excellent air conditioning systems, but they take time to cool your home. You can’t also condition one room and leave the rest, which is you need to consider a 6000 BTU window air conditioner to spot cool that one room you use frequently.
Apart from being small, these units are highly affordable; you’d even purchase for under 200 dollars. However, they are less powerful and can only be used in small rooms up to 150 to 250 square feet.
In this review, you’ll find some of the best 6000 BTU window air conditioners for your money. Some of these units don’t come with remote control, so you’ll be forced to adjust the temperature and other settings using the mechanical controls. Fortunately, they still do a great job of beating the heat during the hot summer months.
For the quietest AC units with the same cooling capacity, check this review.
Best 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Reviews
Is 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Good?
A 600 BTU air conditioner is good to use in various ways, such as in your office, RV, or while traveling. However, it also comes with its benefits and drawdowns. Below we highlight some of them.
- Easy to install
- Easy to maintain
- Dripping water problem
- Not suitable for large spaces
How Big of a Room will a 6000 BTU Cool?
A 6000 BTU can only be effective in a room of size 150 to 250 square feet. The reason being, it’s only a small and portable type of AC which is not recommended to use in large spaces.
That means it offers you the convenience of using it in your office, bedroom, or while you’re traveling. What’s more, it’s an energy-efficient air conditioner that doesn’t consume a lot of electricity like ACs with high BTUs.
Is 6000 BTU Enough for a Bedroom?
A 6000 BTU air conditioner is suitable for a bedroom, but it will depend on the bedroom’s size. As mentioned above, a 6000 BTU AC is only suitable for rooms of size 150 or 250 square feet.
Therefore, anything above that size will be recommended for you to use this type of air conditioner, as it won’t be effective enough. If your bedroom is 10′ x 10′, then using a 6000 BTU is not a bad idea. However, if your bedroom is between 340 and 400 sq. ft, then an 8000 or 9000 BTU air conditioner is the right choice to consider which we have included in this bedroom air conditioner review.
Is there a Big Difference Between 5000 BTU and 6000 BTU?
For an air conditioner to become effective, it will depend on the area’s size where you’re using it. If you place an AC with a lower BTU in a large room or space, it’s bound to underperform. There isn’t such a big difference between a 5000 and 6000 BTU air conditioner.
A 5000 BTU can cool a room size of 100 to 150 square feet. A 6000 BTU air conditioner, on the other hand, can cool a room of size 250 to 300 square feet. Therefore, judging by this comparison, a 6000 BTU AC is a bit more effective than a 5000 BTU AC.
How Much Does a 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Cost?
A 6000 BTU air conditioner is not as expensive as other high BTU ACs. It’s portable, energy-efficient, user-friendly, and easy to install. Additionally, it comes at a cheaper price. The average price of a 6000 BTU air conditioner is $47.
However, a 5000 BTU air conditioner costs lower at $41. But, when it comes to effectiveness in a room of 250 to 300 square feet, the 6000 BTU AC is perfect to consider.
How Much Electricity Does a 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
A 6000 BTU air conditioner can use between 500W and 750W of electricity. To properly estimate the cost of electricity an air conditioner can consume, it’s always good to first determine the electrical watts it uses.
The higher the BTU, the more electricity the air conditioner will consume. An AC with high energy efficiency tends to consume less electricity than a low energy-efficient air conditioner. Therefore, when buying an air conditioner, it’s good to check the EER rating.
How Many Watts Does a 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
We’ve mentioned this above so that we won’t go into much detail. A 6000 BTU AC uses about 500 to 750 watts of electricity. This is more than a 5000 BTU air conditioner, but it’s only because the 6000 BTU unit covers a larger area than the 5000 BTU unit.
To calculate the watts an AC unit uses, all you have to do is divide its BTU number by 10. For instance, 6000 BTU divided by 10 equals 600W.
How Many Amps Does a 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
As a small room-size air conditioner, the 6000 BTU air conditioner can draw a range of 5 to 7 amps of power. This is quite a low amperage draw, which is efficient for saving electricity costs when using air conditioners.
You can easily plug a low-wattage air conditioner in a socket of 15 amp breaker that you can also use for other small household appliances.
What is the Best Brand of Window Air Conditioner to Buy?
When planning on buying an air conditioner, the brand plays a significant role in most consumers’ choices. Several brands have managed to stand out when it comes to producing excellent and portable air conditioners. These brands include:
- The Haier Serenity Series 6000 BTU window air conditioner
- The Friedrich Chill Premier 6000 BTU smart window air conditioner
- The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E 5000 BTU window min air conditioner
There are other best brands of window air conditioners out there you can find by conducting thorough research. Still, you have to ensure you purchase an AC with considerable features and price to avoid regretting it later.
Tips for Using Window Air Conditioner Efficiently
During the hot summer season, most people keep their air conditioners running non-stop. In as much as this is beneficial, you may have to pay the price of high electricity costs. So, how can you use your window air conditioner efficiently?
Below are some essential tips to consider.
- Don’t adjust the thermostat: Surprisingly, adjusting the AC’s thermostat won’t change its cooling rate. Therefore, it’s better off left alone.
- Keep the window curtains closed when there’s no one in the room. When you keep the direct sunlight from entering the room, it dramatically reduces the amount of work your AC will have to do.
- Use a fan: You can opt for an extra fan to help cool the room instead of fully relying on your air conditioner. The benefit of fans is that they use less energy than air conditioners, thereby saving costs.
- Consider using an exhaust fan when you’re cooking to eliminate hot air from the house. If you don’t have an exhaust fan, you can use a floor fan in the kitchen while cooking.
- Use a dehumidifier when the temperature rises to offer you comfort. This even allows you to set your AC to 78 degrees, plus you can combine it with a fan.
Best 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Reviews
1. LG LW6017R 6,000 BTU 115V Window Air Conditioner
- LOW NOISE PERFORMANCE: Operates at sound levels as low as 52dB (in low mode) eliminating unnecessary noise.
- MULTIPLE FAN SPEEDS: 3 cooling and fan speeds allow you to customize your cooling.
- MAXIMUM USABILITY: Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- AUTO RESTART: After a power failure, auto restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 250 Square Feet: LW6017R is ideal for cooling medium rooms (10' X 25')
The LG LW6017R 6,000 BTU window fan can cool spaces up to 260 square feet. It has three fan speeds for flexible cooling and a dehumidifier, which can remove 1.8 pints of moisture per hour, making it a good fit for humid areas.
This window AC has an 11.3 energy efficiency ratio and is equipped with multiple features that will save you energy while maintaining adequate cooling for your space. The energy saver mode will help you stop unnecessary use of power by stopping the fan when the compressor stops cooling.
The fan will turn on in three-minute intervals to check the temperature, only re-engaging the compressor when more cooling is needed. It also has a programmable thermostat with variable temperatures between 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit and a fan-only mode to circulate air when cooling is not required.
This 6,000 BTU window air conditioner installs easily in window spaces between 21-35 inches wide, and a full installation kit comes with the purchase.
- It has multiple cooling and fan speeds.
- Automatic restart in case of a power surge or outage.
- Washable and reusable air filter.
- Remote controlled.
- 2-way air directions.
- It has variable temperature ranges between 60-80 degrees F.
- This unit does not pass energy star qualifications.
- It has no insect barrier or intrusion protection.
2. Frigidaire FFRE0633S1 Window Air Conditioner
- Your purchase includes One Frigidaire FFRA061ZAE Window Air Conditioner of 6,000 BTU
- Air conditioner dimensions: 16” W x 11” H x 16” D | Weight – 44 lbs. | Window – 14” H x 23”-36” W | EER – 11.2 | Noise level – Low: 51, High: 54 | Pints per hour – 1.5
- Features three different fan speeds for more cooling flexibility
- The built-in timer allows you to preset the unit to turn on and off in half-hour increments
- Certifications & Approvals – ENERGY STAR Certified | Safety Certification: UL/CUL | ETL Listed – No | ADA Compliant – All Brands – No | NSF Certified – No
The Frigidaire FFRE0633S1 is a robust and compact air conditioner perfect for rooms up to 250 square feet. It operates quickly and quietly to cool your room both day and night. It can also dehumidify up to 1.3 pints per hour
It features a 24-hour timer that allows you to preset your unit to turn on or off in ½ hour increments. This way, your home stays cool at all times without using too much power. The unit also has an automatic restart feature that lets the unit resume operation with all previous settings intact after a power outage.
In addition to that, the Frigidaire FFRE0633S1 has washable antibacterial filters that keep your indoor environment healthy and comfortable. It also has a “clean filter” indicator that notifies you when your filter needs cleaning when you forget.
This Frigidaire unit installs easily without significant adjustments to your window frame.
- It provides cooling, dehumidification (dry), and ventilation (fan-only mode) functions.
- 6-way airflow directions.
- It operates quietly, producing only 51 dB noise at low speed.
- Energy star qualified.
- It has a full feature remote control.
- It has a 1-year warranty on parts and labor.
- This unit is a bit pricey.
3. MIDEA MAW06R1BWT Window Air Conditioner
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Midea's 3-in-1 technology combines air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan-only modes that work together to increase the comfort of your home
- FAST COOLING – This 6,000 BTU model provides fast and efficient cooling and dehumidification ideal for rooms up to 250 square feet. Cools down your home, office or apartment for maximum comfort. Fan Speeds: 3 Speeds
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – An intuitive design remote control and a LED digital display panel will make it easy to change all the settings from across the room.
- EASY INSTALLATION - This window unit installs easily without significant modification to the existing window frame (23-36" x 15.5"). All mounting accessories (23-36" x 14 ") are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Please see included instruction manual for further detail
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
- In the event of power loss, AC automatically restarts with the latest temperature settings.
- LED remote lets you program your unit and access unique modes like EcoSave and SleepWell.
The MIDEA MAW06R1BWT is an excellent 6000 BTU Window AC choice for homeowners. It is affordable and packs a powerful punch of cooling air for those hot summer days.
It performs three functions. These include standard air conditioning, dehumidification, and ventilation (fan-only mode). You can easily choose and change between these modes using the little buttons on the front display, or you can use the remote and do the same from across the room.
This unit features a 24-hour timer, which you can set to turn the unit on and off as you wish, and in “sleep mode,” the temperature automatically adjusts to match your body’s heat to keep you comfortable even as you sleep.
It also features an Eco energy saver mode that shuts off the unit’s compressor when it reaches the set temperature. All these features help keep your energy bills low at the end of the month.
It is easy to install and doesn’t require any significant adjustments to your window frame. It can fit spaces between 23 inches – 36 inches wide and 15.5 inches high. A full mounting kit comes with the package.
- It cools spaces up to 250 square feet.
- Auto restarts with all previous settings intact.
- It has a 4-way directional fan with three speeds for even and controlled cooling.
- It has a washable filter and a “clean filter” alert.
- 1-year warranty on parts and labor
- Customer service is unsatisfactory for most customers.
4. Friedrich Chill CP06G10B 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- POWERFUL - 6,000 BTUs of cooling power will cool a 250 sq. ft. room
- REMOTE CONTROL - Lets you make comfort adjustments from anywhere in the room
- VERSATILITY - 4 Modes of Operation (Fan, Cool, Money Saver, Dehumidify)
- CONTINUOUS AUTO AIR SWEEP LOUVERS - Automatically oscillate louvers left and right during cooling
- SPECIFICATIONS - 20.7 x 18.6 x 13.9 inches
The Friedrich chill CP06G10B churns out 6,000 BTUs of cooling power enough to cool up to 250 square feet. It features 4-way airflow for even air distribution, three cooling and fan speeds, and an energy-saving mode to help you cut energy costs.
This unit is energy star qualified, meaning it uses 15-20% less energy than most appliances that do not qualify. Moreover, it is perfect for small bedrooms and home offices because it operates very quietly, generating less than 50 dB on the lowest fan speed setting.
You can install this Friedrich air conditioner in standard vertical sash windows or through a wall, and the package comes with installation accessories for each type of install. It also includes a 6-foot, 115V power cord that runs left or right through the side of the unit’s cabinet for flexible integration into your space.
- It has 4-way airflow directions.
- It is Energy Star qualified.
- It comes with a remote.
- It operates quietly.
- It has a 24-hour programmable timer.
- It has a dehumidification capacity of 1.8 pints an hour.
- Equipped with heavy-duty side curtains that help reduce exterior noise and light
- It does not have a sleep mode, so you may have to wake up a few times at night to adjust the Ac settings for you to stay comfortable.
- It’s pricey.
5. Koldfront WAC6002WCO 6050 BTU 120V Window Air Conditioner
- 6050 BTU window air conditioner engineered for spaces ranging in size from 150 to 250 square feet
- Fits windows 22" to 36" wide with a minimum height of 13/14"
- Digital Display; Dehumidifier; Sleep Mode; 3 fan speeds; Remote control with 16ft range; LCDI 5-15P plug type
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 12.1 / Energy Star rated with energy saver mode
- Includes all installation hardware and weather seals; PLEASE NOTE: This window air conditioner does not require a wall sleeve
The Koldfront WAC6002WCO ensures you enjoy an endless cool breeze all summer. It produces 6,050 BTU cooling capacity – 120V, and a whopping 12.1 EER rating enough to cool spaces up to 250 square feet.
It can fit into window spaces between 22 inches-36 inches wide and 13-14.5 inches high. The AC is quick to set up, and all installation accessories come with the package. Furthermore, this window AC does not require a wall sleeve.
This 6,050 BTU window AC comes with a remote that gives you control of the unit from anywhere in the room. It has several energy-saving features, which include a sleep mode, an eco-energy saver mode, and a digital programmable thermostat that give you total control over the amount of cool you need, and how often the unit runs per day.
The unit has washable filters and a maintenance alert that will remind you to clean the filter to keep the unit running without any glitches or risk of damage.
- It has 4-way air direction louvers.
- It has a thermostat for more controlled climate control.
- The unit includes a remote control.
- Energy star qualified with 12.3 EER.
- It uses the standard NEMA 5-15p plug.
- It has three fan speeds.
- It has a 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
- The unit is too noisy when the fan is on high speed.
6. Danby DAC060EB1WDB 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- 6,000 BTU Window Air conditioner quickly cools space up to 250 Square Feet
- Electronic controls with LED display and remote control
- Powerful 3 cool, 3 fan speed circulates the air.
- Follow Me Function: Remote control acts as a thermostat allowing for more precise temperature control
- Energy Saver Switch: cycles the fan on and off to reduce energy consumption
The Danby DAC060EB1WDB air conditioner is efficient and can provide fast cooling for your living space. With a 6,000 BTU cooling capacity, it is perfect for small living rooms, bedrooms, and office spaces between 150-250 square feet.
It uses the environmentally friendly R32 refrigerant, which has a global warming potential that is three times lower than the common R410a refrigerant. This 6,000 BTU air conditioner also has a multi-speed fan with three-speed settings and 4-way air directions that ensure even cooling for your room.
The Danby DAC060EB1WDB also features electronic controls with LED display on the front panel for easy control. It also has a remote that doubles as a thermostat allowing for more precise climate control. It also has washable and reusable air filters that make maintenance of this unit a walk in the park.
This 6,000 BTU air conditioner is easy to install and comes with a 12-month warranty on parts and labor.
- It uses an environmentally friendly refrigerant.
- It features a 24-hour programmable timer.
- It has a remote control with “follow me” technology.
- Sleep mode keeps you comfortable at night while saving energy.
- It has washable filters.
- Easy to install.
- 12-month warranty on parts and labor
- You have to unmount and store the unit during the winter months to avoid damage.
You don’t have to crank up your central unit every time. You can supplement your primary unit using one of the best 6000 BTU window air conditioners I have reviewed and still save on your cooling bills.
You can’t use a 6000 BTU air conditioner as your primary cooling unit, but only in small rooms up to 250 square feet. If your room or office is bigger than this, you should choose an air conditioner with more cooling capacity so that it can efficiently perform.