Central heating systems are rarely powerful enough to get sufficient warmth to the bathroom. Even if your central heater is indeed powerful, the radiators are often positioned to direct most warmth into the living areas such as the sitting room, dining area, bedrooms, and perhaps the kitchen.
This often leaves the bathroom a little colder than the other rooms, which, in a way, is not too bad considering that you spend very little time in the bathroom.
However, the challenge is that you’ll likely need supplemental heat in the bathroom whenever someone’s in there as the bathroom tends to get quite chilly, especially early in the morning when most people take a shower.
That’s where a bathroom wall heater comes in handy! This guide should help you pick out the best bathroom wall heater.
Bathroom Wall Heater Comparison Table
Why Use an Additional Heater?
Supplemental heating in the bathroom is essential for two reasons. First, the central heating system might not pump enough heat into the bathroom. This can often leave the bathroom chillier than in other areas in the home. A supplemental heating source can remedy this problem.
Secondly, the bathroom is one of the coldest places in the home, perhaps because it’s also the least insulated room. In the winter, these rooms can feel particularly cold. Supplemental heating helps keep the area cozier, allowing you to enjoy your baths and showers more.
Types of Wall-Mounted Bathroom Heaters
There are four main bathroom wall heater options to choose from, i.e., oil heaters, mobile radiating panels, fan heaters, and halogen heaters.
- Oil heaters: Oil heaters are electric heaters. The purpose of the oil is to absorb the heat from the electrical resistor wire and release it as gentle radiant heat. The oil also helps to conserve the heat, releasing it slowly and more efficiently.
- Mobile radiating panels: These, too, are radiant heaters. They emit heat as infrared radiation. But, they don’t have any oil. Instead, the heat comes off a flat panel. It’s worth mentioning that radiant panels also emit small amounts of convective heat.
- Fan heaters: Fan heaters are convective heaters, but feature in-built or complementary fans to help blow the heat throughout the intended space. In larger bathrooms, an oscillating fan is used to send the heat in all directions.
- Halogen heaters: Halogen heaters consist of a heating element protected by a grille. The heating elements contain a filament and halogen gas. The filament is heated using an electric current, producing strong heat waves. The halogen helps to get the heat around in gentle, infrared radiation.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Best Electric Wall Heater for Bathroom
Bathroom wall heaters come in endless styles and designs. The following are a few key factors to consider when shopping.
Heating Capacity (Watts/BTU)
Heating capacity, given in watts for electric heaters and BTU for gas heaters, refers to the heat you can get from the heating unit. For the average bathroom, you need about 1,000 watts or 3,410 BTU. However, most bathroom heaters are rated at 1,500 watts or higher.
Cost of Heating
The cost of heating will depend on several factors, including the type of heater chosen, heating method (electricity or gas (propane/natural gas)), the size of the heater, and the heater’s efficiency. Infrared heaters cost more upfront but are some of the cheapest to run.
Extra features refer to timers, thermostats, heat settings, and remote control, increasing the user’s convenience. Other extras to consider are Wi-Fi control, smartphone app control, and smart-home integration.
For the bathroom, you may want to choose a beautiful heater that adds some style to the room. Therefore, the color of the unit, design style, finish material, and lighting (if any) are welcome considerations. Size and low-noise levels are other factors to keep in mind.
Finally, it’s also essential to buy a safe heater. So, check for safety features such as overheating protection. Make sure that the heater is certified by a recognized standards agency such as Intertek, ETL, or CSA.
Safety Tips When Using a Bathroom Heaters Wall Mounted
Even after verifying that you’re buying a safe heater, certified by a recognized standards agency, you must use the unit with caution for complete safety. Observing the following safety tips would be a good start.
- Never use just any space heater for the bathroom. That’s because bathroom heaters are specially designed to resist the bathroom’s high humidity and damp conditions. Other space heaters may not be so resistant to water spills and bathroom moisture.
- Always read, understand, and abide by the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines. It both keeps you safer and helps you maintain your warranty.
- Install the heater as directed by the manufacturer, observing the recommended height, clearance, and other spacing requirements.
- Waterproof heaters can still get wet. Just because the box says “waterproof” doesn’t mean you should cover it in water. A “waterproof” electric heater can still cause electric shocks when exposed to too much water.
- Never obstruct the heater in any way. A few people, for instance, have turned the wall heaters in their bathrooms into towel holders. Others also feel they can use the heater to dry wet garments. Don’t. It creates an unnecessary safety risk.
- Plug the heater into a wall socket and tuck away any cords. Extension cords create a tripping hazard. Moreover, most extension cords have a low current rating, thus create an overheating and fire risk. If there are any cords left after the installation, tuck them away.
Above all, always keep a fire extinguisher close. You may never have to use it. But, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
8 Best Bathroom Wall Heater Reviews
1. Cadet CSC101TW Wall Heater
- Fast Heating: Our 120V 1000W Com-Pak Wall Heater is designed with a fast heating dual coil element that can warm a 200 sq. ft. area in a hurry.
- Safe: Rest safe and easy— safety features turn heater off if normal operating temperatures are exceeded.
- Maximize Living Space: Our unique compact design recess mounts discreetly into the wall.
- Quiet: The centrifugal fan provides quiet and efficient airflow, spreading warmth quickly around the room.
- Contents: This complete heating unit includes a wall can, heater, and grille, for easy hard-wired installation into your wall.
The Com-Pak Plus by Cadet is an efficient and affordable way to add warmth to your bathroom without installing ductwork.
It’s finished in a durable powder coating that eliminates sharp edges while providing an attractive gloss surface. The unit is designed primarily for wall installation but also mounts on the ceiling.
The 1,000-watt electric heater draws only 120 volts from your power lines, making it ideal for medium-sized bathrooms (up to 200 Sq. Ft.).
A thermostat knob right at the bottom of the unit makes it easy to control temperature settings. The Com-Pak maintains temperatures within the 40 to 85 degree Fahrenheit range.
The 7.05lb, 4 x 9 x 12-inch heater arrives with a wall can and a thermostat for hardwired connection. It features an overheating shut-off.
- Get up to 1,000 watts
- Fast coil-element heating
- Compact minimalistic design
- Overheating shut-off included
- Gentle, noiseless operation
- Professional installation required
- No remote control
2. Broan-NuTone 198 High Capacity Wall Heater
- WALL HEATER: High capacity wall heater provides an energy-saving heating supplement to your home while operating at 4000W and 240VAC but can easily convert to 2000W at 120V
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: Heavy duty 18-gauge steel white grille has downflow louvers to direct heat gently toward the floor and a one-piece design with baked enamel finish for durability
- EASY TO USE: Includes an adjustable, front-mounted thermostat that offers a simple way to control the level of heat
- TRUSTWORTHY: Includes a permanently lubricated motor, high efficiency blower wheel, manual reset thermal overload protector, heavy-duty sheathed element with steel plate fins, and UL listing to ensure reliable, safe operation every use
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION: Heater may be recessed or surface-mounted, depending on your application, for a quick and easy installation
- Factory wired for 4000 watt at 240 VAC - easily converts to half-wattage
- Durable white baked enamel grille blends with virtually any décor and keeps its appearance after years of use even in high-traffic areas
- Heavy-duty one-piece steel grille louvered to direct air downward for even room heating
- Adjustable, built-in heavy-duty disc-type thermostat-thermostat security cover included and can be operated by built-in adjustable thermostat or optional wall-mount thermostat
- 100-Percent efficient heating element-alloy heating element steel-sheathed, plate-finned, heavy-duty enclosed heating element provides heat quickly and quietly provides comfortable heat in seconds
Broan makes exceptional heaters, and the NuTone 198 lives true to that legacy. This high-capacity, energy-saving heater operates at 4,000 watts and 240 volts but can also work at 2,000 watts and 120 volts, making it ideal for larger bathrooms (up to 400 Sq. Ft.).
It’s made from 18-gauge, heavy-duty steel and features down-flow louvers for downward heat direction.
The baked enamel finish gives the unit show-stopping elegance while ensuring durability. An included thermostat mounts at the front of the unit for easy temperature control.
The unit is factory wired and boasts a permanently lubricated motor, high-efficiency blower wheel, overload protection, and a heavy-duty sheathed element. It is CSA certified.
- Delivers up to 4,000 watts
- Recessed or surface-mounted
- Offers variable heat settings
- Fitted with steel plate fins
- CSA certified
- One-year warranty
- Professional installation needed
- Could do with a more durable thermostat
3. Stiebel Eltron 236305 CK Trend Wall-Mounted Electric Fan Heater
- Sleek European surface-mount design and quiet operation at 49 db(a)
- Built-in thermostat for maximum comfort
- Downdraft design heats space evenly
- Quality German manufacturing and Frost protection setting
- Ideal anywhere quick heat is needed
Made in Germany, the Stiebel Eltron CK is an ultra-quiet fan heater made from galvanized steel. It comes in a squirrel cage, with a glass-reinforced polycarbonate, a radial-type blower that operates at just 49dB.
Thanks to the blower fan, the unit distributes heat evenly throughout the intended space, with the down-draft design boosting the heat flow.
Three things stand out about the CK. First, it has an integrated (built-in) thermostat for easy warmth control. Secondly, it features a unique booster timer that outputs heat at maximum settings for up to 60 minutes.
Finally, the CK has frost protection that maintains temperatures above freezing to conserve energy.
The 5.5-pound, 2,000-watt, and 240-volt heater is ideal for spaces up to 215 Sq. Ft. It’s backed by a 3-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Quality, German manufacturing
- Up to 2,000 watts
- Quiet operation
- Built-in thermostat
- Overheating protection
- Frost protection setting
- Low-cost (at just over $100)
- You can’t override the frost protection setting
4. EconoHome Wall Mount Space Heater Panel
- SAVE UP TO 50% OF YOUR HOME HEATING COSTS: Lower your energy bills and still feel cozy and warm with our electric heater. Our flat heaters are ENERGY EFFICIENT, consuming 0.4 KW/HR., which is less than 1/3 of the electricity than conventional space heaters. This method will lower your energy bills with great savings and will keep the room with constant ambient warmth.
- CONVECTOR HEATER SPECS: Ideal for a 120 sq. ft. room, 400 watts, 120 volts, 3.33 amps. Panel Heater Dimensions: 23.5 x 23.5 x ¼”. cETL approved. UL-2021 & RoHS compliant. HEAT REFLECTOR INCLUDED, temperature ranges between 41-86 °F. This unit may be HARD WIRED! We offer a 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty!
- SAFE AND EFFICIENT TECHNOLOGY: This electric wall heater operates at a constant temperature persistently. It ignites with minimal radiant heat which transmits to convection currents that rise from behind the heating panel and circulates heated air around the room. WE RECOMMEND BUYING THE HEAT GUARD ACCESSORY to go along with this heater because it doubles the efficiency of the convection currents, and its exterior casings stay warm and safe to touch.
- UPDATED CRACK RESISTANT VERSION: This upgraded durable model is TRIPLE REINFORCED and made with a superior calcium silicate material. TRIPLE INSULATED for electrical safety. EASY TO MOUNT on any wall (Installation hardware Included). Enjoy the beautiful sleek PAINTABLE DESIGN which blends in with any décor.
- NO FAN THAT DRIES OUT: Asthma and dust allergy sufferers can enjoy warmth without irritation since the air will not dry out, nor will dust circulate around the room. Perfect for all indoor rooms, including bathroom, bedrooms, office, garage, and RV.
You can save up to 50% of bathroom heating costs with this fairly-priced, energy-efficient EconoHome wall heater. Rated at 400 watts/120 volts, it consumes just 0.4kW/hour, less than one-third of standard electric heaters. The unit is recommended for bathrooms up to 120 square feet in size.
The EconoHome’s panel measures just 23.5 x 23.5 x ¼ inches but comes with all the features synonymous with the best heaters.
It has an adjustable, plug-in thermostat for convenient warmth control and features a heat reflector to focus the heat where you need it the most.
The unit’s safety features include overheating protection and an optional heat guard. It has a three-year warranty.
- Sleek, attractive design
- No noise, no fans, no vents
- Heat reflector included
- Triple insulated for safety
- ETL approved, UL, and RoHS compliant
- Three-year warranty
- Maxes out at 400 watts
- Must be hardwired
- Cracking is a real risk
5. Marley HT1502SS WALL HEATERS
- Provides reliable heat for any room or entryway, even larger and odd shaped ones. Perfect for dens, basements and attics, workshops, garages, offices and bathrooms.
- Automatically adjusts heat output and fan speed to help reduce energy costs and provide powerful, quiet climate control.
- Prolongs the life of the heating element by keeping the fan off until the element is at the proper temperature.
- The built-in thermostat features a 5/2 Day program so you can set different temperatures for weekday and weekend use.
- LED touch screen provides easy access to settings and features, while the included remote control allows you to set temperatures from across the room.
If you’re looking for the most modern-looking bathroom wall heater, you couldn’t go wrong with the Marley HT1502SS.
A majestic, Smart Series heater that provides a convenient way to program room heating features a slim design and comes with an LED screen that offers easy access to settings and features. A remote control device is also included so you can control your temperatures from across the room.
The 1,500-watt heater automatically adjusts the heat output and fan speed to reduce energy consumption. It does this while providing powerful heat and quiet climate control.
It’s a fan-powered heater but prolongs the unit’s life by keeping it off until the element reaches the proper temperature. A built-in, programmable thermostat allows you to set separate temperatures for weekdays and weekends
The Marley heater is UL listed and CSA certified. It comes with a five-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Ultra-modern smart heater
- LED touch screen control panel
- Programmable thermostat
- UL listed, CSA certified
- Five-year warranty
- Most expensive on this list
6. Dimplex #TWH0731CW 750/562-Watt Fan Forced Wall Heater
- Compact multi-purpose unit ideal for use where space is limited and instant heat is needed to replace cold air where exterior doors are prevalent.
- Automatic reset thermal cutout for maximum safety
- Fully louvered grille,These heaters do NOT come with a thermostat
- 120 Volt 3412 BTU
- Airflow 45 CFM - fan blades engineered for quiet operation
The compact, multi-purpose Dimplex is another value-for-money bathroom wall heater to consider.
This particular model, a 17-inch, 8-pound THW Series fan-forced heater, provides instant heat at 48 CFM and is ideal for spaces up to 200 square feet. The 240-volt heater installs on the wall, either vertically or horizontally. Since it’s only three inches thick, it can be recessed into a wall cavity or surface mounted.
The unit features a nickel-chromium element wholly enclosed within a steel element sheath and spiral steel fins. Additional features of the heater include a fully-louvered grille, automatic reset thermal cutout for maximum safety, and overheating protection shut-off. A thermostat is needed but must be purchased separately.
Unfortunately, the Dimplex only packs 3412 BTUs, ideal for no more than 100 Sq. Ft. Buyers get a one-year limited warranty (10 years on the element).
- Compact, multi-purpose build
- Powerful but quiet operation
- Automatic overheat protection
- CSA and UL certified
- Two-year warranty
- No remote control
- No timer
- Requires hardwiring
Bathroom wall heaters can provide much-needed supplemental heating in the bathroom, especially in the colder months. They are rarely expensive, so getting one wouldn’t burn a hole in your pocket.
But, if you decide to get one, make sure you’re getting the right one. Check the heating capacity, heating method, control features, and above all, the safety features.