Instead of turning up the central heat in the morning, invest in the best portable bathroom heater to help save energy in the long term.
Bathroom heaters are intended to help you stay warm and enjoy the shower during those cold winter months. They heat the room instantly so you won’t have to wait for your primary heating system.
Modern bathroom heaters come with a lot of extra features that make your showers a lot more fan. However, it would be best if you always considered your needs first before selecting one for your home.
What type of heater are you looking for? What is the size of your bathroom? What is the wattage of the heater? These are some of the questions you must ask yourself before choosing the best small heater for the bathroom.
Benefits of a Bathroom Heater
The first thing you need to do is understand what makes a bathroom heater important. This will help you determine whether you need one in the first place. Portable bathroom heaters have four crucial benefits;
Warm your bathroom
The bathroom is the chilliest room in most homes. There are a couple of reasons for this, the main one being that bathrooms don’t have as much insulation as other rooms in the house. Another cause is the constant moisture. Portable bathroom heaters fix the chilliness by introducing a supplemental heating source.
Keep Out Mold, Mildew, and Odors
Moisture doesn’t just cause chilliness. It can also lead to the growth of mold and mildew. If left unchecked, it can even cause rotting, which can, in turn, result in odors. Warming the bathroom is the perfect remedy for the constant moisture. It keeps the moisture out and your fixtures dry.
Keep your Mirrors Clear
You might have also noticed that moisture in the bathroom causes your mirrors to fog. Fogging refers to the cloudiness you see on the mirrors that makes it impossible to see yourself. Drying out bathroom moisture using a portable heater can resolve the fog issue.
Extend the Life of your Bathroom Fixtures
We’ve mentioned the need to keep your bathroom fixtures dry. One benefit of keeping them dry is that constant exposure to water and moisture isn’t precisely good for all fixtures. Those made of metal, for instance, tend to rust quickly when exposed to moisture. Bathroom heating can help solve this problem.
Features to Consider when Choosing a Portable Bathroom Heater
Portable bathroom heaters are generally lightweight and easy to move from one place to another. But, they also differ in several ways. The following are top considerations when shopping for one;
Wattage will tell you two things about a heater. First, it tells you how much heat you can expect to generate with the heater. The higher the wattage value, the more the heat it produces. Secondly, the wattage will also tell you the cost of running the heater. Again, the higher the wattage value, the more it costs to run.
How much space can the appliance warm comfortably? Remember that this isn’t entirely dependent on the wattage. It’s also affected by factors such as heat type (radiant or convectional) and a fan’s presence. Fortunately, most manufacturers prominently display the recommended coverage area for their products.
Size and Style Features
Portable bathroom heaters might be all small in size, but they are not all the same size. Make sure to find a unit that won’t take up too much space in your bathroom. Therefore, if you have a small bathroom, choose an even smaller heater. As for style features, colors, design style, and control features can add some style to your bathroom.
Heat Settings & Thermostat
The best portable bathroom heaters have easy-to-locate and simple to use settings and a thermostat to help with temperature regulation. In fact, for these heaters, a separately installed thermostat isn’t ideal. Instead, consider units that come with in-built thermostats.
As we mentioned earlier, the little extras are what make a portable bathroom heater great. Such features may include a timer that automatically turns on the unit a few minutes before you get to the bathroom and automatic shut-off for increased user safety.
Finally, always check if there’s a warranty. Most bathroom heaters have one, but not all do. Additionally, warranty periods and the issues covered tend to vary. The best warranty lasts a long time (say a year or more) and covers many possible problems.
Safety When Using the Best Portable Heater for Bathroom
Most portable bathroom heaters are generally safe. Most meet national and international safety standards and are equipped with vital safety features, including emergency shut-off and safe-to-touch surfaces. For added safety, consider the following tips;
- Plug it into the main outlet: Electrical extension sockets aren’t very safe because most of them can’t handle the current needed for home heating. Plugging your heater into an extension socket, therefore, creates an overheating and burning risk.
- Keep it away from water: You know what happens when the electric current comes in contact with water – electrocution. So, keep the unit as far away from water as possible and tuck away the cables for further safety.
- Ensure regular maintenance: The bathroom heater can get clogged with hairs, debris, and other dirt particles. Use a blower to clean up the vents once a month for optimal performance.
- Keep the kids and pets safe: Ensure that the unit is located in an area where it doesn’t pose a safety risk to the little ones and your pets.
8 Best Portable Bathroom Heater Reviews & Comparison Table
1. Stadler Form w Technology-White Paul Heater
- Operates easily with an included remote control cleverly stored in a hidden compartment when not in use, and features 8 variable output settings from low to high,
- Distributes air widely and evenly with Swing Mode, maintaining a steady and balanced environment in rooms up to 350 sq ft
- Choose from two classic colors, blending in seamlessly with existing decor in contemporary or traditional spaces alike
- Ultra quiet fans operate unnoticed even at the highest setting, creating an undisturbed state of relaxation
- Easy to clean by simply removing the washable air filter
Designed by Matti Walker for Stadler Form, the P-001 Paul is a cutting edge forced-air heater and fan. It’s characterized by its minimalist design, with the regal shape, classic tones, and sleek lines, particularly standing out.
It’s also an extremely efficient unit and powerfully distributes heat throughout the intended space thanks to the revolutionary Adaptive Heat Technology.
You get to choose between two classic colors, white and black, that seamlessly blend in with decors in most contemporary and modern homes.
An included remote control allows you to switch through eight variable output settings as you seek your ideal temperature levels. This model is recommended for spaces up to 350 square feet.
The 10.6-pound heater is equipped with five integrated safety sensors, an intuitive LED touch panel, noise minimizing technology, and cool-to-touch surfaces.
- Gorgeous design
- Lightweight at just 10.6 pounds
- Remote controlled
- Quiet operation
- Eight temperature settings
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Slightly expensive (at over $300)
- Batteries required
2. DeLonghi TRN0812T Portable Oil-Filled Radiator
- 1200 watts of heating power, silent operation, Best for small to medium rooms that need constant heat in the colder seasons
- Safe to use in the bathroom with the GFI plug. Cord storage is available
- Energy saving timer with 96 settings allows you to heat rooms for any desired amount of time, and lets you select different time periods throughout the day and night
- Maximizes radiant heat flow while maintaining a low surface temperature with vertical thermal chimneys
- Customize your heating needs with the adjustable thermostat and three heat settings
- 8 fins compact size fits everywhere.Never needs refilling. Unit is permanently sealed with pure diathermic oil for stable and efficient heating
The 1,200-watt Delonghi TRN0812T is a radiant heater that works by warming objects directly rather than heating the air in the room where it’s located. It’s also an oil-filled radiator that delivers strong heat waves gently and efficiently.
Oil-filled radiators can emit significant amounts of heat even an hour after the unit is turned off. The oil doesn’t need to be refilled. Moreover, the unit is permanently sealed, so you don’t have to worry about oil spills.
The TRN0812T features a user-friendly control panel where you can control the adjustable thermostat and variable heat settings. It has three heat settings and also features a 24-hour programmable timer for increased convenience.
The 19-pound, 8-fin heater is virtually maintenance-free, comes with a GFCI plug for safety reasons, and is backed by a one-year warranty.
- Energy-saving timer
- Built-in GFI plug
- Antifreeze function
- Overheat protection (auto-shut-off)
- 0ne-year limited warranty
- GFI plug may need replacing after a while
3. Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater
- This portable 1500 watt infrared heater has the power to heat up a small room or office with its 5200 BTU heat output. Two power modes, one uses the full 1,500 watt power while the other only uses 750 watts.
- Our patented heat exchanger with HMS Technology combines with humidity in the room to provide soft, safe heat without reducing oxygen or humidity. Safe to touch, even the grill.
- Small convenient size makes this perfect for any room in the house. Hang it on the wall or set it on the ground thanks to removable feet and wall mounting points on the back of the heater.
- Built in thermostat with LED display shows you what the ambient temperature is and helps regulate the temperature efficiently. Included remote control allows you to control the temperature with ease.
- This heater comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty
- 1500 WATTS of power and 5200 BTU. As a primary heat source: (Up to 150 sq. ft of zone heating (in a well-insulated room). As a supplemental heat source: (Up to 1000 sq. ft of zone heating (depending on room insulation)
An even lighter bathroom heater than the first two, the Phoenix from Heat Storm weighs just nine pounds but packs 1,500 watts of heating power, equivalent to around 5,200 BTU.
On days when you don’t need the full 1,500 watts, a second (Lower) setting exists that delivers 750 watts.
The Phoenix is an infrared heater, thus very efficient. It warms up quickly and uses the patented HMS technology to provide soft, safe heat without affecting the room’s oxygen levels.
The heater is designed to be set on the ground and even comes with wheels for this purpose. But, it can also be mounted on the wall once the wheels are removed.
An included remote control allows for easy temperature regulation, though the Wi-Fi support also means that you can control the device from your phone.
The unit is ETL certified and meets NRTL safety requirements. It also features safe-to-touch technology and is backed by a one-year warranty.
- 1,500 watts of heating power
- Smart, Wi-Fi control
- Floor or wall mounted
- Built-in thermostat
- Remote controlled
- One-year warranty
- Ideal for smaller bathrooms
4. OPOLAR Space Ceramic Bathroom Heater
No products found.
If portable bathroom heaters competed based on design alone, the OPOLAR HE09 would win without contest. This heater is as beautiful as they come. But, the unit isn’t all about looks. It’s equipped with IP21 waterproof protection and comes with an ALCI plug included for your convenience.
Another key feature of the HE09 is the adjustable thermostat. The thermostat monitors and maintains room temperatures at the levels you set. It has three settings; Fan Mode with No Heat, High Heat (1,500 watts), and Low Heat (750 watts). Also notable is that the heater oscillates at up to 80 degrees wide coverage.
The unit’s safety features include overheating protection and tip-over protection. A one-year warranty backs the 5.09-pound heater.
- Light and portable
- IP21 condensation protection
- Adjustable thermostat
- ALCI protective plug
- Overheating protection
- The handle is an inset cup rather than a regular handle
5. Lasko CD08200 Small Portable Ceramic Space Heater
- HEATS UP THE BATHROOM FAST – Say goodbye to stepping out of the shower during the cold winter mornings and feeling chilly as you dry off. This little heater quickly warms up the bathroom. By the time you get out of shower, the entire bathroom is warm and steamy so you can towel off in spa-like comfort.
- SMALL & MIGHTY – Powered by an energy efficient 1500-watt ceramic heating element with 3 heat settings, this little heater puts out a lot of heat. Attractively designed and at less than 8 in. tall with a tiny 6.25 in. x 6.25 in. footprint, it consumes minimal counter top, table, desk or floor space. It’s also easily stored when not in use.
- EASY TO USE – No assembly required. Simply take it out of the box and plug it in directly to a wall outlet. There's just one big button on the top. Press it once for high heat for one hour. Press it again for high heat. Press a third time for low heat and a fourth time to turn it off.
- APPROVED FOR BATHROOM USE – Comes with an integrated ALCI safety plug (a device that shuts off power to the unit in a fraction of a second in the event of a short). It’s ETL Listed and comes with Automatic Overheat Protection, and a self-regulating ceramic heating element and an exterior that stays cool to the touch – taking the worry out of using the heater for long periods of time.
- TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS – Lasko has been making quality products for over 100 years, so you can be confident your heater will last. Even though it’s designed for bathroom use, this heater can be used anywhere in the house or apartment to eliminate cold spots and save you from the added expense of turning up the whole house thermostat on chilly days and nights.
The 1,500-watt Lasko CD08200 would be an ideal choice for shoppers looking for a no-fuss bathroom heat. It lacks the “showiness” of most modern bathroom heaters but does the job better than most of those heaters.
The compact heater has two steady-on settings plus a Simple Heat Button that, in one push, provides consistent heat for one hour.
The CD08200 also comes integrated with an ALCI safety plug that cuts off power to the unit in the event of a short and features automatic overheat protection, a cool-to-touch exterior, and self-regulating ceramic heating elements.
This CD08200 heater is ETL certified and listed, weighs a paltry 3.84 pounds, and is backed by a generous 3-year warranty.
- Very affordable (at under $50)
- Fast heating
- Integrated ALCI safety plug
- Automatic overheat protection
- Cool-to-touch exterior
- 3-year warranty
- Not ideal for big bathrooms
- Not exactly noiseless
6. PELONIS PH-19J 1500W Fast Heating Electric Heater
- WIDESPREAD OSCILLATION FUNCTION: This ceramic heater can rotate from side to side within 83 degrees, so it can fast and evenly warming the entire room while maintaining a consistent temperature.
- SAFE TO USE - The PTC electric heater made of cool touch ABS UL94 V0 flame resistant material. US standard socket can directly plug into an outlet without any adapter or extension cord. Overheating protection and tip-over switch ensures safe use.
- FAST AND EFFICIENT HEATING - Our ceramic heater is equipped with ceramic heating element and maximum 1500W power. Quickly heats-up to 70°F in 3 second with reliable ceramic heating technology, offering a comfortable and consistent temperature.
- PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTATS - Adjustable thermostat for optimal heating temperature with easy to use control dial. Choose High or Low heating with oscillation function to warm up your desired area.
- COMPACT SIZE MULTI-FUNCTION HEATER - This safe modern-looking space heater packs 1500 watts into a compact design (17.767.72 inch), which is portable & perfect for personal, home, office & bedroom use.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY - Offers a 1-Year manufacturer warranty with your purchase.
Finally, the 6.17-pound PELONIS PH-19J is another low-cost 1,500-watt heater that works exceptionally well in the bathroom. It’s a stylistic, modern-looking heater that heats the bath to 73 degrees Fahrenheit in just three seconds.
Better still, the ceramic heater features a widespread oscillation function that rotates side to side within 83 degrees, meaning that the heat quickly reaches the entire room. The unit has two heat settings, i.e., 1,500 watts at High capacity and 900 watts at Low capacity.
It also features a range of safety features, including overheating protection, a tip-over cut-off switch, and a cool-to-touch, ABS UL94 V0 flame-resistant material. An adjustable thermostat allows you to select the desired heat setting effortlessly.
The POLONIS produces safe, healthy, and silent heat at just 52 decibels, doesn’t require any batteries and is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- Low cost (at under $50)
- 83-degree wide coverage
- Heats room to 75F in 3 seconds
- Several safety features
- One-year warranty
- Has no timer
Since portable bathroom heaters come in a range of designs, styles, and capabilities, selection can be a challenge for most people.
The following considerations should help you make the right choice.
People who invest in bathroom heaters enjoy warmer, more relaxing baths and showers. They can also spend more time in the bathroom because the warmth is therapeutic.
Don’t be left behind. Spare some money this summer to buy the best portable bathroom heater and start enjoying your bathroom time more.