The most energy efficient electric wall heaters will warm up any individual room without you having to turn up the thermostat to the whole house.
If used as supplemental heat sources, these types of heaters can reduce your home’s winter heating bills. Wall-mounted electric heaters will also save a lot of floor space that you can use for other appliances.
If you’re not sure how to pick energy-efficient wall heaters, this article is for you. I’ve reviewed some of the best electric wall heaters that will reduce your utility bills and quickly heat the room in which they are installed.
Most Energy Efficient Electric Wall Heaters Comparison
How Do Electric Wall Heaters Work?
The basic principle of electric heaters is that they convert electric energy into heat energy. The heat energy is then used to warm the air in spaces. However, the actual mode of operation of electric wall heaters is more complicated than this simple description.
Electric wall heaters have heating elements that are usually made of ceramic. The heating elements convert electric energy into heat energy. The elements may be used to heat a liquid or produce ultraviolet radiation. Heaters that operate in the form of a heating element passing heat energy into a fluid are referred to as convection heaters.
The fluid, which acts as a heat sink, slowly passes the heat energy to the air currents that come into contact with the heater. The electric heater has to continually take in cold air currents and release heated ones. To expedite this process, such heaters may have an inbuilt fan.
Radiant heaters have reflectors that direct the ultraviolet radiation that is produced to animate and inanimate objects in the room. Such heaters tend to provide warmth very fast and reliably.
Benefits of Energy Efficient Electric Wall Heaters
Value for Money
It is more economical to invest in electric wall heaters than other systems and devices like fans. After installation, electric wall heaters do not require a lot of attention. You do not have to disassemble your heater to clean its internal components regularly. This is unlike many other alternative sources of energy.
Although the purchase costs may be significant, you will not spend much on repairing, maintaining, or even replacing your electric wall heater. In the end, an electric wall heater delivers more value for money than other types of electric heaters such as stand-alone fireplaces.
Continuous and Comfortable Heating
Electric wall heaters are designed to provide secondary heating in homes and even offices. When placed in strategic positions, they reliably and continuously warm the space to create and maintain a cozy environment. Therefore, they are best used for zonal heating in homes to complement the central heating system.
Most energy efficient space heaters have advanced control features, including remote control and settings for changing their temperatures and timing of the operation. You can use such settings to personalize the performance of your electric wall heater according to the heating requirements of your home.
Efficient Use of Energy
Electric wall heaters are more energy-efficient than many other types of heaters, including energy efficient propane-burning space heaters. Although the rate of conversion of electric energy into heat energy for electric wall heaters is not exceptionally high, their design and control features enable users to control the amount of electric power used for heating.
You can use the inbuilt thermostat and timer to determine how hot the heater should be and how long it should operate respectively. By controlling these two aspects of use, you can end up minimizing the amount of electric energy that is used for heating the home.
Types of Energy Efficient Electric Heaters Wall Mounted
Radiant electric heaters have large reflectors that are used to guide infrared radiation within a room. Such heaters directly warm up animate and inanimate objects in a room to create and maintain a cozy feeling. The reflectors ensure that the radiation, which provides the warmth, is directed to the living zone. The living zone is the space between the floor and the roof.
Convection electric heaters contain special radiators that are full of fluid. The most commonly used fluid is oil. A heating element converts electric current into heat energy. The heating element then transfers its heat energy to the oil.
When the oil is fully hot, it starts to project the heat to the air that passes near the heater. Thus, such types of electric wall heaters warm the living space by heating air currents that come into contact with them.
To speed up the process of heating air currents, some convection heaters have fan systems. The fan system forces the heated air out of the heater and distributes them across the room quickly to create a comfortable environment.
Micathermic electric wall heaters combine convection and radiation heating methods to deliver great performance in small rooms that require rapid heating. The heaters may have fans to speed up the distribution of heated air in rooms. Also, the use of infrared radiation ensures that such heaters create and maintain a comfortable indoor environment fast.
Factors to Consider when Choosing Energy Efficient Wall Heaters
Getting the perfect energy-efficient electric heaters wall mounted for your home is a complex process. There are many brands with different features that are available on the market. You have to be certain about the heating requirements of your home to make the right decision. Here are a few things that you can look out for when choosing an electric wall heater.
Thermostats and Timers
It is more convenient to use wall heaters that have digital thermostats and timers than those which do not have these features. A thermostat helps you to determine the ideal temperature at which your heater should operate. The selected heating level is usually based on the ambient temperature.
Timers can be used to program the length of time during which a heater operates. For most brands that have inbuilt timers, users can program them to automatically operate for as long as eight hours. The minimum timer settings for electric wall heaters is an hour.
Although brands that have timers and inbuilt digital thermostats cost more than those which do not have these features, such brands offer greater convenience than the others.
When choosing an electric wall heater, consider the heating requirements of your home. The amount of heat that you need to keep the home warm and comfortable varies considerably. This may depend on external factors such as the season and prevailing weather conditions as well as internal factors such as the design of the house.
Houses with particularly high ceilings tend to require extra heating energy than those with conventional ceilings. This difference occurs because houses with high ceilings have a correspondingly high-temperature difference between the floor and ceiling.
Although standard electric wall heaters consume either 750w or 1,500w of power during operation, they may not be enough for warming large houses with high ceilings, particularly during winter. In such cases, choose electric wall heaters with high BTUs. We have reviewed some of the best wall heaters for large rooms.
A heater that automatically goes off when its temperature rises rapidly will rarely cause accidents or get damaged as a result of overheating. Also, an electric wall heater that has a cool-to-touch feature will not cause accidents when accidentally touched.
The design of an electric wall heater is important because the device will be visible when installed in the house. If you install your heater in the living room, then ensure that you choose one that has a design that blends with your interior décor.
Electric heaters may either be modern or traditional in design. Moreover, the finish may be sleek and modern or old-school. Your choice of an electric heater based on the design and finish largely depends on personal preferences and the décor of your home.
1. Cadet CSC152TW Com-Pak Complete Wall Heater
- FAST HEATING: Warm up in a hurry with a fast-heating element. This 1,500 watt heater at 240 volts is ideal for small to medium sized rooms
- DISCREET: Unique compact design is recess mounted to suit any room. Can be ceiling-mounted
- EASY INSTALLATION: Only three screws are needed to install heater assembly and grille
- DURABLE: Galvanized steel wall can holds the unit together and makes for a long-lasting product
- SAFE & QUIET: The centrifugal fan provides, quiet, efficient airflow. Comes with a built-in thermostat and includes high temperature safety shutoff
- Built-in Adjustable Thermostat
- Fan Forced Electric Heater
- High Gloss Enamel Paint
- UL Listed Heater
The Cadet CSC152TW can be an excellent choice if you are looking for an electric wall heater that has a small footprint and excellent performance. This electric wall heater has an amazingly compact design. Its modern style and glossy white finish can blend perfectly with all modern and traditional interior décor styles.
The fan is quite useful in ensuring that the heater provides warmth uniformly. The inbuilt fan projects the heated warm air all around the room. This ensures that your house has a uniform temperature and eliminates cold spots that may occur as a result of the poor distribution of heat.
You will enjoy using the inbuilt thermostat to determine the performance of the electric wall heater. Besides, by effectively using the thermostat, you can minimize the wastage of energy and ensure efficient heating of your home.
The only notable drawback of using this heater is related to the forced fan system. As it is the case with all heaters that have this system, the Cadet CSC152TW may be slightly noisy at times.
- The heater provides even heating because it has a forced fan system
- You can use the inbuilt thermostat to control the heating performance of the heater
- It has an excellent compact modern design with a glossy white finish
- The forced fan system is a source of noise
2. Stiebel Eltron 074057 Wall Mounted Electric Fan Heater
- Surface mount design
- Quality construction
- Quiet operation
- Built in thermostat for maximum comfort
- Reliable performance
The Stiebel Eltron 074057 delivers great heating performance, thanks to its design and the nature of the blower. This heater utilizes the downdraft mode of moving air to ensure that heated air is quickly and evenly distributed in indoor spaces.
Cold air currents are sucked into the heater from the top side. Once heated, the warm air currents are released from the bottom side so that they can move in all directions across the room as they rise. This mode of operation helps to create and maintain a cozy indoor environment.
It is very easy to install this heater and get things working. It comes prepackaged with all the hardware that you need for mounting it on the surface of the wall. You do not need any special skills to get it up and running.
However, you will have to bear with the fact that this heater has been designed to be used as a supplemental source of heating. You cannot rely on it as a primary source of heat in the home. More so, it cannot be used to heat very large indoor spaces.
- It is easy to install (surface mount) and maintain the electric wall heater
- The heater has been designed for silent operation
- It delivers even heating because of the downdraft design
- The heater can only be used as a supplemental source of heat
3. KING PAW2422-W PAW Electric Wall Heater
- Original Pic-A-Watt Element
- Multiple wattage options, to tailor to a room’s specific heating requirements
- Patented Smart Limit Protection
- Whisper Quiet Squirrel Cage Blower
- Wall can w/ QuickSet stud tabs
One of the most notable features of the KING PAW2422-W is that it has the original pic-a-watt element. You can use this feature to select the most appropriate wattage at which the heater should operate.
This choice depends on the size of your room and other factors that determine the heating requirements of houses. In the end, you can ensure efficient utilization of electric energy for heating the home by avoiding wastage of power on unnecessary heating.
The blower of this electric wall heater has a special squirrel cage design. This design limits the amount of noise that is produced by the heater during operation. Therefore, you can comfortably use it in the living room or even bedroom.
The only drawback of this heater is that it is not sold with a thermostat. Given that a thermostat is very useful in helping you control the heating performance of your device, it will be necessary to purchase one.
- The squirrel cage design of the blower limits the overall noise of the heater
- It is very convenient to use the heater by picking the appropriate wattage for your room
- The vent style grill blends perfectly with all types of interior décor
- The thermostat is sold separately
4. Broan-NuTone 9815WH Grille Heater
- WALL HEATER: Wall heater provides an energy-saving heating supplement to your home while operating at 1500W and 120V but can easily convert to 1500W at 240V
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: White grille has contemporary styling with radius edges, straight louvers, and subtle contours for a clean, attractive appearance
- EASY TO USE: Heater is permanently lubricated and never needs oiling or disassembly, while an adjustable, front-mounted thermostat offers a simple way to control the level of heat
- TRUSTWORTHY: UL listed unit includes a fan-delay switch allows element to warm-up before the fan starts, while a quiet, thermally protected motor that shuts off in the event of overheating
- SUPPLEMENTAL HEAT: Wall heaters are intended to be used as an additional heat source, not as the primary source of heat
The Broan-Nu Tone 981WH is a versatile and well-designed electric wall heater that you can rely upon as a source of supplemental heat in your home. Interestingly, the heater is completely unobtrusive when mounted on the wall in living rooms, bedrooms, or any other convenient place.
The white grilles with straight louvers are hardly noticeable. Thus, the heater will not cause a lot of design problems in your home.
The thermometer of this electric wall heater is mounted on the front. It is very easy to select the temperature at which you would like the heater to operate. The thermometer is fairly accurate in reading the ambient temperature and helping the heater provide a comfortable environment at home.
Furthermore, the Broan-NuTone 9815WH has several inbuilt safety features, including the ability to automatically switch off when its temperature rises rapidly. This safety feature is quite useful in preventing the heater from overheating and even causing accidents at home.
- Its design, and color of grilles blends with contemporary and traditional décor styles
- The mounted adjustable thermostat offers users a great level of control
- The wall heater has advanced inbuilt safety features
- Some users may find the transverse blower slightly noisy
5. Heat Storm Deluxe Mounted Space Infrared Wall Heater
- EFFECTIVE HEAT - Our infrared space heaters warm objects instead of just the air! This will help your room stay warm even after the heater turns off.
- SAFE TOUCH GRILL - That’s because our grills are made out of material that doesn’t burn skin. Our heaters also automatically shut off power if it tips over.
- MODERN DESIGN - wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT - LED display shows you what the ambient temperature is and helps regulate the temperature efficiently. (goes to dark mode after 5 minutes of no activity) Included remote control allows you to control the temperature with ease
- COMPACT - Uses less than 2 square feet of wall space and plugs into a normal 110v outlet. When installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord behind the heater.
- This heater comes with a 1 year manufacturer
- 1000 WATTS of power and 3400 BTUs. You can heat up to 750 sq. ft. as a supplemental heat source, or 200 sq. ft. as a primary heat source.
The Heat Storm Deluxe Wall Heater is one of the electric wall heaters that utilize the radiant heating method. The heater has large reflectors that project infrared radiation towards all objects in a room. This is a more effective method of heating spaces because the radiation warms animate and inanimate objects in a room rapidly.
Moreover, the heater does not have a fan for forcing the warmed air. Heaters that have blowers are louder than those which do not have them. You can comfortably use the Heat Storm Deluxe Wall Heater in bedrooms and living rooms without worrying about the noise.
If convenience and control are your major concerns when using an electric wall heater, then this device may be the right one for you. It has advanced control features, including a built-in digital thermostat and universal remote control. You can use these control features to conveniently determine the performance of the heater according to your heating requirements.
- It heats rooms rapidly by utilizing the infrared method
- The heater has advanced controls, including a digital thermometer, timer, and a remote control
- The heater is ETL-certified for safety
- It has limited heating capacity when one has large rooms that exceed 400 square feet
6. Marley SSHO4004 Qmark Commercial Smart Series Wall Heater
- SmartSeries Wall Heater: Easily choose your perfect temperature and settings with an LED touchscreen The Smart technology can also be programmed for automatic weekday/weekend settings to help save on energy costs
- For Big Spaces: With a 4000 Watt heat level, this unit can heat rooms sized up to 400 square feet with fan-forced heat It's easily monitored and operated from a central location in the building
- Energy Saver: The heat comes directly from the source, so no warmth is lost in ducts or pipes before it reaches the room
- Precise Temperature: Delivers consistent heat within 15 degrees of the heater's set temperature
- Perfect Size: This unit measures 1575 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 19125 inches high
The Marley SSHO4004 is a highly versatile and reliable electric wall heater that you can use as a source of supplemental heating at home. With a perfectly crafted casing made of high-quality metals, a compact design, and a high level of durability, the heater delivers real value for money.
Installing and maintaining the Marley SSHO4004 is a breeze. The heater comes with all the hardware that you need to have it mounted on walls. Besides, it does need specially configured places such as recessed walls for mounting. You will hardly require the services of a technician to get this device up and running.
The inbuilt digital thermometer is another notable feature of this electric wall heater. The thermometer allows you to determine the ideal temperature of the heater.
Once this is done, the heater automatically adjusts its heating capacity to ensure that the temperature of the room is maintained within the selected range. This feature helps to create and maintain a warm environment at home.
- The heater delivers optimum comfort by automatically adjusting its heating temperature to the ambient temperature
- The inbuilt digital thermostat is very accurate in detecting temperature changes
- It is easy to install the heater on walls
- The surface of the heater may become quite warm
7. De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater
- QUIET HEATER - Best for medium and large rooms, the 1500-watt Mica Panel Heater quickly delivers gentle heat that won’t stir up dust, pollen, or dander. Customize it to your needs with easy-to-use controls, an adjustable thermostat & two settings.
- MAXIMIZE EFFICIENCY - This De’Longhi heater converts 100% of the electricity used into heat when it's switched on, with no wasted energy. That means it delivers continuous heat while raising the room temperature to your desired setting.
- BUILT-IN SAFETY - Features include a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating, an internal tip-over switch that automatically turns the unit off & a standby setting that turns on the heater when temperatures drop below 41 to help prevent frozen pipes.
- SLIM DESIGN - Take advantage of the slim design by positioning the freestanding heater on the floor, or mount it on the wall with the included kit. The light weight and carry handle make it easy to move to another room as needed.
- BETTER EVERY DAY - A De’Longhi product always turns everyday activities & moments into something special. Born in 1974 as a brand of electric radiators, we now offer innovative appliances for every area of the home.
The De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater has been designed to be used as a focal point when either mounted on the wall or used as a standalone heating device. It has a contemporary look and a sleek and compact design that can be utilized to enhance the interior décor of your home.
The convenience that comes with using this heater is another important aspect worth mentioning here. You can either mount it on the wall or move it from one room to another whenever there is a need for doing so.
The wheels are quite sturdy and durable. Also, getting it up on the wall is not a big deal, thanks to the inclusion of all the hardware that you may require in the packaging of the device.
However, the high level of portability of the heater comes with the additional risk of the heater easily getting knocked down. Luckily, its casing is made of high-quality metals that protect the internal components from easily getting damaged if the heater falls.
- The heater can be easily moved from one room to another because it has four highly durable wheels
- It is convenient to use the heater either as a standalone or wall-mounted electric heater
- Its sleek design and contemporary look can be used to enhance the interiors of homes
- The heater can easily get knocked down when used as a standalone heating device
Instead of wall heaters, you can choose one of the best electric toe space heaters for under cabinet heating
Wall-mounted electric heaters are great options for spot heating and saving floor space. As you might have realized, they are more like electric space heaters. The difference is that they are installed on a wall.
Also, there are different types of energy-efficient electric wall heaters. You can use a fan heater, infrared heater, or micathermic heater. All of them have their pros and cons, so it’s you to decide the type of heater you prefer.
However, micathermic and infrared wall heaters can help you save electricity because of how they heat the room. On the other hand, fan heaters are more expensive to run but are also energy efficient because all energy input goes into the room.