If you want to heat a room but scared of your winter heating bills skyrocketing, consider the most efficient propane heater.
The most efficient propane heaters are convenient heating solutions for people who don’t want to use electricity or in a room with no electrical source. They can be portable or wall-mounted but also fuel-efficient and a good source of supplemental heating for most rooms.
You can use propane heaters both indoors and outdoors. If you want to use them indoors, make sure your room is well ventilated to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
Also, consider whether you’ll be using a vented propane heater or a ventless propane heater. Both of them have their pros and cons, so choose one depending on your needs.
6 Most Efficient Propane Heater
1. Rinnai FC824P Vent-Free Space Heater
- Professional Installation Recommended, call 833-746-6212 for assistance. Rinnai FC824P Vent-Free Space Heater - Propane
The Rinnai FC824P is an excellent choice for indoor use, thanks to its heating range, and design. With an amazingly wide input range of 8,000BTUs to 22,000 BTUs, this heater can provide warmth in mid to large spaces that measure from 200 square feet to 540 square feet.
You can conveniently rely on this heater and other vent-free propane heaters to heat your garages, basements, and other spaces at home.
The design of this heater is compelling. It features a taste of modernity with an elegant white finish. The design of the heater blends perfectly with traditional and modern décor styles. When properly positioned in a room, this propane heater can be used to enhance the look of any space.
You will not have to worry a lot about safety when using the Rinnai FC824P. The heater has several inbuilt safety features, including a tilt switch and cool-to-touch.
When working, its surface remains cool enough not to cause injuries to children and pets. The tilt switch helps to prevent the occurrence of fires in case the heater falls accidentally.
- The heater has advanced inbuilt features, including cool-to-touch and tilt switch
- Ideal for heating small to large spaces that measure from 200 square feet to 540 square feet
- It has a small compact design with a modern white finish which can be used to enhance the look and feel of your room
- The heater can fall when knocked because of a small base area
2. Mr. Heater F274800 MH18B Portable Propane Heater
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off. Maximum Hours Of Operation- 220.0
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
- Low, medium and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures; connects to propane tank (not included). Note- Due to recent governmental changes to import tariffs, Mr. Heater has removed the fan on some models of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy (MH18B).
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
- 4,000- to 18,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 450 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
The F274800 MH18B is an amazing propane heater because it has been specially designed to be used indoors and outdoors. It has a compact design and a corresponding small footprint for easy transportation from place to place. Besides, the handle is located on the top part of the heater to make carrying easy.
With a clean-burning process that is almost 100%, this propane heater can be the most effective solution for providing heat in your home. You can use it as a source of supplemental heat to keep your heating bills low and maintain a cozy environment at home.
The only drawback of this heater is that it is not sold with a fan. Fans are usually useful in helping to distribute hot air across large spaces and provide even heating. Nevertheless, the lack of a fan makes the heater silent and convenient for use in all places.
- Convenient for use in indoor and outdoor spaces because of its high portability and low noise levels
- The heater is an efficient source of heat (a clean-burning solution that is almost 100% efficient)
- Users can enjoy the convenience of controlling the heating temperature across three settings: low, medium, and high
- The fan is sold separately
3. Martin Direct Vent Propane Wall Furnace Heater
- WARM, ADJUSTABLE HEAT 20,000 Btu – Keep living or work spaces heated with a direct vent wall heater with room thermostat that lets you monitor your heat dispersion. BUILT-IN THERMOSTAT (Low - High Dial)
- EXCLUSIVE GLASS CERAMIC WINDOW – A true market exclusive accessory, available on 11,000 Btu and 20,000 Btu indoor propane gas units
- STYLISH & CLEAN ENERGY – A sleek fireplace design, our direct vent gas heater produces safe, clean energy that’s economical and aesthetically pleasing.
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION – Connect our heater to a gas fitter and it will heat your living space effectively with low maintenance required. (The wallʼs thickness cannot be less than 4-1/2” (11.5 cm) nor can it exceed 12-5/8” (32 cm).)
- CERTIFIED QUALITY – Heavy-duty grill made with die-cast aluminum and glass ceramic window for more safety, Product is certified for use in the USA and Canada.
The Martin Direct Vent Propane Wall Furnace Heater is the perfect combination of performance and design. With a heating capacity of 500 square feet, this heater is powerful enough to provide warmth indoors and outdoors.
Besides, it has a built-in thermometer that you can use to adjust the heating performance between the low and high modes. Using the thermometer gives you the additional freedom of ensuring that the heater functions according to the heating requirements of your room and your preferences.
This propane heater lasts longer than conventional electric heaters, thanks to the inclusion of a heavy-duty grill and the use of die-cast aluminum to manufacture the casing. When properly installed, this heater can serve you for more than 10 years.
Moreover, the heater has a sleek design that enhances the overall aesthetic appeal. The glass-ceramic window provides a great feeling when the heater is used in any indoor spaces, including living rooms and bedrooms.
- Highly durable because of the use of die-cast aluminum and a heavy-duty steel grill
- A sleek design featuring a glass-ceramic window
- Great control features, including an inbuilt thermostat
- The heater requires the constant performance of preventive and corrective maintenance procedures
4. Mr. Heater MH18CH Radiant Cabinet LP Heater
- Hi-med-low regulator
- Automatic low oxygen shutoff system
- No electricity needed
- CSA certified. Outdoor use only. Run time (hours at maximum BTU) is 24 Hours and run time (hours at minimum BTU)is 72 Hours
- Heats up to 450 square feet
Mr. Heater MH18CH has been specially designed for heating outdoor spaces. It comes with all the components that you need for outdoor heating, including a horse and a regulator. Moreover, its 20lb propane tank is enough to keep the heater running for up to 72 hours when you use the low heating mode.
When the heater is running on the high heating mode, then the propane tank keeps it up for 24 hours. These long runtimes are quite beneficial when one is using the heater in outdoor and remote areas where it is difficult to access electricity.
This propane heater has all the standard safety features that you would expect to find in any heater designed for indoor and outdoor use. The low oxygen sensor ensures that the heater automatically switches off when the level of oxygen is too low to support the successful and safe burning of propane gas.
- The heater has been designed for outdoor spaces, thanks to long heating times of up to 72 hours on a full tank
- It has advanced safety features, including a low oxygen sensor
- Effective source of uniform heat because it uses a radiant heating method
- The heating capacity of 450 square feet may be limited because outdoor spaces are typically larger than 450 square feet
5. Mr. Heater Corporation Vent-Free 10,000 BTU Radiant Propane Heater
- 10,000 BTU Liquid Propane heater to heat spaces up to 250 sqaure feet.
- Radiant heat burner
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified
- Operating this heater at altitudes over 4,500 FT above sea level could cause pilot/ODS to shutdown the heater.
- Legs and wall mounting hardware included.Run Time: 43.18 hrs
The Mr. Heater Propane Heater is an excellent solution whenever you need a device for indoor or outdoor heating. It comes with several features that enhance its convenience and ensures that you have a comfortable source of heat.
When using it as an indoor heater, you can either have it mounted on the wall or simply use the legs to position it on the ground. The heater comes with all the hardware that you need to use it as a wall-mounted or standalone device.
Besides, Mr. Heater MH18CH is an excellent heating device that you can use to provide warmth in indoor and outdoor spaces rapidly. The radiant heating method is quite effective in creating and maintain a cozy environment because it works by directly heating objects in a room and not air currents.
The only notable drawback of using this heater is that it is not designed to warm large spaces. You will find its heating capacity of 250 square feet quite limited when your indoor or outdoor space is large.
- Great convenience, because the heater comes with all the hardware needed for mounting on the wall or using it as a freestanding model
- Effective and fast radiant heating
- You can use an optional blower when heating large areas
- It has a limited heating capacity (suitable for spaces that measure up to 250 square feet)
6. Pro Com Dual Fuel Blue Flame Ventless Wall Heater
- TECHNOLOGY - 30 000 BTU Patented DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY using Natural Gas or Liquid Propane Blue Flame Heater which Heats up to 1 000 sq ft Area
- DEPENDABLE - Thermostat Control offers the most customizable heat settings Ideal for greater heat flow that could add the warm atmosphere in your room
- STYLISH - Included Wall mounting bracket with Space saving design without sacrificing beauty
- ECONOMICAL - BLOWER AND BASE INCLUDED! 99 9% efficient with Vent Free gas burner No outside duct or chimney needed! Environmental Protection and Energy Conservation
- SAFE - Push button Piezo ignition with Built-in oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) immediately shuts down the heater if carbon monoxide or lack of oxygen is detected
- 1 Year Limited
If you are looking for an outdoor ventless propane heater with massive heating capacity, then the Pro Com Wall Heater is the ideal choice.
With a heating capacity that is strong enough to warm spaces that measure up to 750 square feet and an excellent fan, this heater can be your perfect companion for warming garages and other outdoor spaces.
Because your heating needs change all the time, this heater has some of the most advanced controls that you will ever find in a standard propane-burning heater.
Thanks to the settings, you can easily customize the heating level of this heater according to your heating requirements at any given time. Besides, switching the Pro Com Heater on and off is quite a breeze because of the piezo ignition system.
However, this heater becomes quite hot after some time. Its surface becomes unsafe for anyone to touch after a few minutes. However, this is not a big issue if you can keep off from touching the surface of the heater.
- Its heating capacity is enough for warming spaces that measure up to 750 square feet
- It has advanced safety features, including a low oxygen sensor
- The heater is easily customizable because of the controls
- The surface of the heater becomes quite hot
Propane Vs Electric Heat
Propane is one of the most efficient and reliable sources of heat for your home. The following is a brief comparison of propane and electricity as sources of heat for your home.
The comparison shows that propane is better than electricity for heating homes in several ways.
- It is easy to compare the costs of using electricity and propane for heating homes by looking at the figures provided by the US Department of Energy. Currently, the figures show that propane is 30% cheaper than electricity. If it is assumed that propane-burning heaters run for the same time as electric ones, then the cost of using propane-based heaters is 30% of that of electric heaters.
- The safety of propane burning heaters is better than that of electric ones by far. The preparation, packaging, storage, sale, and use of propane gas takes place under the guidelines developed by the National Fire Protection Agency and industry-specific regulatory bodies. Moreover, propane heaters are safer than electric ones because they have several inbuilt safety features.
- The performance of electric heaters depends on the level of reliability of the supply of electric energy. If there is an outage of electric power, then you cannot use your electric heater. However, propane is easily bought and stored at home. Therefore, the supply of propane gas is more stable and reliable than that of electric power. Using propane heaters is, as a result, more reliable and predictable than electric heaters.
- Propane is a more valuable source of heat than electricity because propane heaters last longer than electric ones. Electric baseboard heaters, some of the most valuable types of heaters that utilize electricity, can last for as long as 10 years. However, the average lifetime of a propane heater is 20 years. These figures show that if you would like to get value for your money, then you should go for propane heaters.
- Propane heaters are more effective than electric ones in terms of heating indoor and outdoor spaces. A typical electric heater provides heat that averages 98 degrees Fahrenheit. Interestingly, propane heaters provide heat that ranges from 130 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. These figures show that a propane heater is the right choice for providing effective heating in indoor and outdoor spaces.
Propane Heater Safety
It is possible to use a propane heater for a long time without accidents. To achieve this objective, you need to observe several safety tips when buying and using a propane heater.
Here are a few tips to help you maintain a 100% safety record when using propane heaters.
- Choose indoor heaters that have inbuilt safety features. Some of the most common and desirable safety features include a low oxygen sensor, overheat protection, automatic shutoff, and coo-to-touch. The cool-to-touch feature involves the use of special material on the surface of a heater. The special coat reduces the surface temperature of the heater. The low oxygen sensor ensures that there is sufficient oxygen for combustion. Overheat protection help to prevent accidents by automatically shutting off the heater when the temperature rises to dangerous levels.
- Choosing the appropriate propane heater. Always use a propane heater that is appropriate for your space. Propane heaters usually include details about their heating capacity. The details show the size of the spaces that the heaters can be used to effectively heat.
- Consistent maintenance. All propane heaters have detailed instructions on how they can be maintained and kept in excellent working conditions. Cleaning the heater is one of the primary methods of keeping a heater in excellent working condition. Always follow the instructions of the manufacturer when cleaning and maintaining your propane heater.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions. To use propane heaters safely, always ensure that you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Following the instructions strictly will eliminate the risk of accidents.
- Do not leave the heater unattended. Some people tend to leave their heaters on throughout the night or when they leave their homes. However, standard safety practices demand that you switch off the heater when you leave the room even for a few hours. Similarly, never leave your heater on for the night. Following these recommendations helps to minimize the chances of accidents occurring when no one is near a propane heater.
- Do not move your propane heater when it is on. Always ensure that your propane heater is off and cool before you attempt to move it. Moving a propane heater when it is still on or hot increases the chances of accidents. The heater may easily come into contact with highly combustible materials.
- Keep the propane heater away from combustible materials. Ensure that your propane heater is positioned properly and away from fabric, paper, plastics, and other highly combustible materials. The temperatures on the surface of propane heaters tend to rise at times. Moreover, your heater can easily cause a fire if any of the combustible items at home get in touch with it.
Electric space heaters are excellent sources of heat for many homes, but the high electricity bills make them expensive, especially during the winter. If you don’t intend to use electricity, propane heaters are your go-to alternatives.
It’s important to realize that even the most efficient propane heater produces carbon monoxide as they burn, which is why you need an adequately ventilated room.
It would help if you also had your heaters regularly inspected by a professional. These kinds of inspections will look to ensure proper combustion and ventilation and to remove any obstructions from the chimney’s flue.