Are there any heaters that run on batteries?
Yes, battery-operated heaters exist. They aren’t as popular as electric and gas heaters, which is why you’re perhaps bamboozled. Also, these heaters aren’t very powerful, which partly explains why they aren’t common.
However, for emergencies, the portability of a battery-powered heater could be just what you need. They don’t need to be plugged into an electrical outlet or the natural gas line neither do you need to refill a gas tank every few weeks. All you need is a fresh pair of batteries, and you’re ready to go.
This guide highlights some of the best battery powered heaters that run on batteries based on factors such as cost, heating capacity, and other features. We later also discuss what to look for in a non-electric heater.
Top 10 Heaters That Run On Batteries Comparison Table
How Battery Powered Heaters Work?
Battery-operated heaters are essentially hand and body heaters designed to keep you (as a single individual) warm. Many can keep your body at 100°F for up to 8 hours or even longer. A good number are also car heaters that you turn on to keep the can interiors warm for a given period.
Car and body/hand battery-powered heaters are resistance heaters. They use electric current to generate heat. The current passes through a resistance wire. The resulting resistance to electrical flow creates heat.
However, it’s very little heat. While a standard electrical heater can produce an equivalent of 40,000 BTU or higher, a small car battery heater only generates about 500 BTU at 12 volts/20amp.
For reference, you need about 40BTU per square foot. It means that a battery-powered car heater is only effective over about 10 sq ft. or a 3 x 3-foot space.
Combination battery-gas heaters, however, burn fuels to produce heat. These are gas heaters that use batteries for a few functions.
Types of Battery-Operated Heaters
There are several categories of battery-operated heaters. The following are some of the most notable categories;
Battery-Operated Car Heaters
Battery-operated car heaters are small, portable units used in cars. They are technically the biggest battery-operated heaters you’ll find.
The units plug directly into the vehicle’s cigarette lighter or 12v outlet and run straight off the car’s battery. As a result, you don’t need to buy a new battery. This makes the heaters even lighter and incredibly lightweight.
Indeed, most are made of plastic and weigh only a few ounces. Depending on the build quality, heat output, and other features, it can cost anywhere between $30 and $50, with others costing as much as $100+.
These heaters can prove incredibly useful on a cold morning. Aside from adding a few BTUs worth of warmth to your car, they can also help defrost the windscreen. Above all, they’re a worthwhile option if you can’t afford a car heating system.
Battery-Operated Hand and Body Warmers
Battery-operated hand and body warmers have been around slightly longer than the car-warming models. Many hunters, fishers, and other people who spend a significant amount of time in the outside cold have long taken advantage of the warmers to keep warm.
Unlike the car heaters, they don’t use car batteries. Instead, they use smaller batteries ranging from AAA to 9-volt types to generate just enough heat to keep your hands and feet warm. It’s worth noting that you need multiple such heaters to keep the various parts of the body warm. The majority tuck easily into socks and hand gloves.
Most of these heaters can continue producing heat for five or more hours on just one battery, making them incredibly effective and affordable. What’s better – some models are chargeable via USB! This means that you can charge the unit and only carry a few batteries along for emergencies.
Combination Battery-Gas Heaters
The most common “battery-operated” heaters, combination battery heaters aren’t really battery operated. They depend on a small battery that powers the ignition and fan. The heat, however, comes from a different fuel source, usually gas, mostly propane.
The use of gas allows these heaters to produce a lot more heat. The majority can put out as much as 1,500 watts, equivalent to about 5,200 BTU. Most of the products reviewed in this guide belong in this category.
Factors to Consider when Shopping for a Battery Powered Heater
Since battery-powered heaters aren’t very common, you may be tempted to pick any that comes your way. That’s not a very good idea. We recommend that you consider the following five factors;
- Average heating duration: This applies to models that work on dedicated batteries. How long does the battery last? If it’s a rechargeable model, how long does the battery last on a full charge? Some of the best models last up to 13 hours of continuous use.
- Temperature settings: Can you change temperature settings? A great battery-operated heater allows you to adjust the heat/temperature settings as you wish. Additionally, consider the number of heat settings available.
- Multi-function capabilities: The best battery-operated heaters are designed for multi-function. Many car-battery-operated heaters, for instance, also function as car fans and even support phone charging. A few hand warmers also support phone charging.
- Built-in safety measures: This is very important. For one, the heat coming from the heater shouldn’t be too much. Otherwise, it creates a burn risk. Many of the units implement auto-shutoff in case of overheating for safety reasons.
- Warranty/return policy: Finally, a few considerate manufacturers offer warranties and even allow returns in mechanical failure. It’s another thing you want to consider seriously.
Top 10 Best Battery Powered Heater Reviews
1. Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
- Receive within 1-5 Business Days!
- Ceramic 1500W Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, 7w x 6d x 9-1/5h, Gray
- Item Weight: 3.7 lb
Starting with this compact product from Lasko, the 754200 is a 1500-watt ceramic heater. Ceramic heaters are electric heaters that feature a ceramic pan.
When the ceramic disc is heated, it emits gentle, soothing heat. The heat is then pushed out of the heating unit and blown throughout the room to warm the people’s intended space.
This particular model features a fan for heat distribution and comes with three settings – High, Low, and Fan Only – for maximum comfort.
It comes fully assembled, so you don’t have to worry about wiring and all that. It also features a built-in carry handle for portability. Other built-in features include overheating protection and a cool-to-touch exterior.
The 754200 comes in a shiny silver finish, measures 6 x 3.7 x 9.2 (L x W x H), and weighs a paltry 3.7 lbs. It is ETL Listed and is backed by a 3-year warranty.
- Priced at Under $30
- Powerful 1500-watt heater
- Features adjustable thermostat
- Gentle ceramic heating
- 3 settings – High, Low, Fan Only
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- No remote control
- Has a life of about 2/3 years
2. Honeywell HCE100B Heat Bud Portable Personal Ceramic Heater
- Energy Efficient Heat: The Honeywell HeatBud Ceramic Personal Heater Is a 250 watt energy efficient solution that provides just the right amount of heat for you. Specially designed for personal warmth, it’s perfect for use at home, school or office
- Easy to Use; Designed with ceramic technology that provides fast, even heating, this energy efficient heater uses only 250 watts. It features 2 heat settings, easy one button controls, a tip over switch, cool touch housing & overheat protection
- Increase your comfort; Using portable heaters in your home can help increase comfort & supplement home heating needs. There is a range of Honeywell heaters covering personal, ceramic, fan forced, radiant and infrared to meet all your heating needs
- Smart savings: Portable heaters are a smart and easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your whole house thermostat a few degrees and heating just the room you are in, a Honeywell heater can help you save money while providing soothing warmth
- Honeywell quality: Help improve heating & energy savings in your home, office or at school using a Honeywell portable heater
The Honeywell HCE100B is called a heat bud for a good reason, at just 5 x 4 x 7.75 inches, it’s one of the smallest tabletop heaters ever made. The unit weighs a mere 1.05 lbs and delivers 250 watts worth of heat per hour. This should be enough to keep you warm at work or even at home.
The design is unique too. The Heat Bud is an electric ceramic heater that relies on a ceramic pad to generate heat. It uses a small fan to push out and distribute the heat.
Two heat settings mean you can adjust the temperatures to your desired comfort levels. The unit features overheat shut-off protection and a cool-to-touch housing for safety. A 360° tip-over switch also protects it.
Considering that it’s priced at under $20, this heater should a no brainer if the heating system at your workplace or the central heater at home doesn’t get you warm enough.
- Compact personal heater
- Efficient ceramic heating
- Easy one-button controls
- Two heat settings
- Tip-over protection switch
- No remote control
3. AmazonBasics DQ1722D 500-watt Ceramic Personal Mini Heater
- Compact personal space heater design that is small enough for tables or desktops
- Featuring efficient ceramic coils that heat up in seconds
- Available in 4 colors to custom-match your decor
- Includes tip-over protection for extra safety
- Ideal for small spaces, at home or at the office
Amazon Basics makes some incredible space heaters, and the DQ1722D mini heater is a testament to their good work. Perfect for a drafty room or when you need an extra bit of warmth, the DQ1722D is a wonderful addition to the office, bedroom, or any other small area.
Like the first two products on this list, it uses a naturally-conductive ceramic element to generate heat in seconds. You should be able to feel the warmth in seconds.
The best part is that the heater is small enough to fit in just about any space. You can also carry it around to work and back. It’sIt’s available in four colors to custom-match your décor.
This mini heater’s standout features include tip-over protection for safety and Green Labels Frustration-Free certification. It measures 5.87 x 3.2 x 6 inches and weighs 1.43 lbs.
- Extremely portable design
- Powerful for such a small heater
- Reliable ceramic heating
- Tip-over protection
- No overheating protection
- No heat settings (just on/off)
4. Lasko 100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
- KEEPS YOU WARM AT WORK – At 200-Watts and 682 BTUs, this low wattage mini space heater is ideal for use under the desk to keep your feet and legs warm. Best of all, because it’s low wattage, it won’t keep tripping the office circuit breaker every time you turn it on.
- YOUR PERSONAL SPACE HEATER – At 6 inches tall with a 4” x 4” footprint, this cute, small electric heater takes up minimal desktop space and is intended to heat up your immediate space at home or the office. Designed to warm you, not a room. For that, we recommend getting a Lasko 1500-Watt tower heater.
- EASY TO USE – No assembly required. Simply take it out of the box and plug it in to a standard 120v wall outlet. This energy-efficient, indoor ceramic heater draws about 2 amps and turns on with a flip of a switch. Compact and portable, MyHeat comes with a 6-foot cord and a 2-pronged plug. It’s also easily stored when not in use.
- YEAR ROUND USE – Tired of always being cold at work in the winter? Is your cube right under the AC vent in the summer? If this sounds familiar, then this little heater is just what you need to keep you comfortable year-round. Produces a quiet, white noise that won’t disrupt your co-workers. MyHeat is available in 4 fun colors (black, white, blue, and purple) and makes for a great gift.
- TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS – Lasko has been making quality products for over 100 years. MyHeat is ETL Listed and comes with Automatic Overheat Protection. The on/off switch lights up to let you know the unit is on. The self-regulating, safe ceramic heating element keeps the exterior cool to the touch – taking the worry out of using the heater for long periods of time.
- Lower power useage saves on your energy bill and helps to elimanate tripping the circuit breaker if multiple heaters are used in an office setting.
A 200-watt heater, equivalent to about 682 BTUs, the Lasko 100 is a low-wattage mini space heater ideal for use under the desk at work to keep your legs and feet warm. Since it’s a small heater, there’s no risk of tripping the office circuit breaker. It also comes ready to use – no assembly required.
The unit plugs into a standard 120-volt wall outlet and draws approximately two amps. A 6-foot cord (included) makes the connection process effortless.
Once connected, it turns on in the flip of a switch and runs for as long as you need. The Lasko 100 is protected with automatic overheat switch-off and features an on/off light to tell whether it is on or off.
It’s worth noting that the device is protected with overheat shut-off and has a cool-to-touch exterior. It’s also extremely compact at just 2.8 x 3.8 x 6.1 inches. It is ETL Listed and comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Gorgeous, compact design
- Weighs only 1.0 lbs.
- Overheating protection
- Low-cost at under $20
- ETL Listed
- 3-year warranty
- No timer
- No multiple heat settings
5. Honeywell HHF370B 360 Degree Surround Fan-Forced Heater
- ENERGY EFFICIENT HEAT: Providing 360 all-around warmth, this portable heater is ideal for small to mid-sized rooms. The Low setting does not require as much electricity to operate, so it is more energy efficient and a better option for saving energy.
- EASY TO USE: Delivering enhanced safety features & easily controlled comfort, this heater features an adjustable thermostat as well as 2 heat settings, a 360-degree tip-over switch, overheat protection and an easy-grab, cool touch carry handle
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Using portable heaters in your home can help increase comfort & supplement home heating needs. There is a range of Honeywell heaters covering personal, ceramic, fan forced, radiant and infrared to meet all your heating needs.
- SMART SAVINGS: Portable heaters are a smart and easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your whole house thermostat a few degrees and heating just the room you are in, a Honeywell heater can help you save money while providing soothing warmth
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating & energy savings in your home, bedroom or office using a Honeywell portable heater.
One of the more expensive options on this list (though still priced at under $50), the HHF370B from Honeywell, is one of the most beautiful personal heaters.
It’s also one of the few units that are fully digital, complete with a programmable thermostat. You can set the heater to work at a particular heat setting for 1, 2, 4, or 8 hours and it will oblige without further intervention from you.
The HHF370B is also a 360-degree surround heater that emits heat in all directions. This makes it ideal when you’re two or more people in the room. The 1500-watt rating means it is ideal for small rooms (thus different from personal heaters).
Other heater features include tip-over protection, cool-to-touch housing, overheat shut-off, and an easy-grab handle. The 8 x 8 x 11.5-inch heater weighs 3 pounds and has two heat settings.
- Powerful 1500-watt heating
- Convenient digital controls
- Built-in timer
- Programmable thermostat
- 3-year warranty
- Relatively pricey at just under $50
- No remote control
6. Minetom Portable Electric Space Heater 1500/750 Watts
- Easy control heater: Adjust the knob on the right to turn the unit on. "I" is for producing heat at 750 watts, "II" will produce heat faster and hotter at 1500 watts, and ”Fan” will blow out cool air. Then turn the thermostat knob on the left toward the + sign. The adjustable temperature range is 0℉ to 158℉.It will get the heater to cycle on and off according to if the room’s temperature reaching heater's setting temperature
- Energy efficient heater: With PTC ceramic heating tech and high speed fan, this heater put out tons of heater to heat up 200 square Feet in seconds. Helps to save electric bills by heating up needed small spaces instead of heating the whole house with other centralized heaters. It's quiet enough to use in a bedroom while sleeping
- Portable mini heater: Dimensions: 6.2 inches x 7 inches x 9.2 inches, 3.2 pounds light weight mini heater easy to carry around with handle. This 120V heater has six feet long cord and 2 prong connection fits for indoors use such as office, room, desk, home, bedroom
- Safe room heater: The heater is made of flame retardant material to achieve zero fire hazard. Tip over protection shut off heater when it's knocked over, perfect for houses have kids and pets. Overheat protection will shut heater off automatically when the heater overheat
- Long serving life: Tip over swicth, overheat protection, flame retardant and ceramic speedy heating and cooling for its steady operation and a long serving life, no extra worry on accidental damage for winter life
This Minetom is another ceramic heater. However, unlike the other ceramic heaters we’ve discussed thus far, this is an infra-red heater that uses a PTC element.
It puts out an incredible 1,500 watts, more than sufficient for a small 200-250 square-foot room. It’s also a very quiet heater, which makes it usable even in the bedroom.
Some of the appliance’s top features include an adjustable knob at the top (to the right) that turns it on. A separate knob at the top (to the left) allows you to switch between 750 watts (Low) and 1500 watts (High). There’s also a third setting, “Fan,” where the unit only blows cool air around the room.
The unit measures 6.2 x 7 x 9.2 inches and weighs 3.2 lbs. A carry handle at the top allows for easy maneuverability. The heater features overheat protection switch-off as well as tip-over protection.
- Healthy infrared heating
- 6-foot long cord included
- Overheat/tip-over protection
- ETL Certified
- One-year warranty
- No timer
7. Brightown 905 Portable Ceramic Heater 1500/750 watts
- Safe for kids and pets: The heater is made of flame retardant material to achieve zero fire hazard; automatic overheat protection system will shut the unit off automatically when reaching overheat limit; tip over switch at the bottom will be triggered and the unit will be shut off in tilted or tripped over condition; power indicator indicating it’s plugged in; ETL certified, safety tested
- Speedy warming: With PTC ceramic heating tech and high speed fan, this heater put out tons of heater to heat up 200 square feet in minutes. Helps to save electric bills by heating up needed small spaces instead of heating the whole house with other centralized heaters. Lower than 45 decibel while working, quiet enough and better heat dispersal for indoor sleeping, reading and working
- Easy to use: Adjust the knob on the right to turn the unit on. "I" is for producing heat at 750 watts, "II" will produce heat faster and hotter at 1500 watts, and “Fan” will blow out cool air. Then turn the thermostat knob on the left toward the + sign. The adjustable temperature range is 0℉ to 158℉. It will get the heater to cycle on and off according to if the room’s temperature reaching heater's setting temperature
- Portable and mighty: Dimensions: 6.2 x 7 x 9.2 inch. Carry handle and lightweight make this space heater easy to place in room or move from the floor to the table. No more concern about taking up too much space in a crowded place. An ideal space heater for office and a thoughtful gift for friends and family in winter
- Long serving life: Tip over swicth, overheat protection and ceramic speedy heating and cooling for its steady operation and a long serving life, no extra worry on accidental damage for winter life
Another 1500-watt heater with two heat settings (750 watts in Low setting), the Brightown 905 is a portable 6.2 x 7 x 9.2-inch heater weighing about 3.2 lbs.
It plugs into a standard 120V electric outlet, with a 6-foot cord included for convenience. The two-prong connection is usable in the office under the desk and at home in the bedroom. It can also work as a fan in the Fan Only mode.
The heater is made from flame-retardant material for complete fire safety. It also features anti-tip-over shut-off and overheating protection for additional safety.
The housing itself is cool to touch, making the heater safe for use even in a home with pets and children. You’re, however, advised to watch over the kids and pets to prevent tip-over risks.
The 905 features a carrying handle for ease of movement and an adjustable thermostat for ultimate comfort. It is ETL certified and comes with a shade.
- Powerful 1500-watt heating
- Multiple heat settings
- Fan-Only setting available
- Multiple safety features
- ETL Certified
- No timer
- It’s a bit loud
8. BOVADO USA Portable 166648 1500-Watt Ceramic Space heater
The BOVADO 166648 is a multi-purpose heater-fan designed to take the chill out of your room during the freezing winter weather and help with air conditioning during the hot summers.
It’s a fan-forced heating unit that evenly distributes the heat throughout the space. The best part is that you can plug it in tight space, including under your desk.
The heater features two heat settings (and a fan-only mode) for complete comfort. A red power indicator light glows when the unit is on. Other features of the 166648 include an adjustable thermostat, safety tip-over switch, overheat protection, and a cool-to-touch body.
This heater comes fully assembled, complete with a 6-foot cord it is UL, ETL, and CSA Listed and CE Certified.
- 1500-watt heating
- Ceramic PTC heat
- Three operational settings
- Multiple safety features
- UL, ETL, and CSA Certified
- Heat tends to weaken after several months
- No timer
9. Brightown Model 8541833742 400W Personal Ceramic Heater
- Easy to use: Single on/off switch on the back of office heater. Minor glow from power light is red to let you know the unit is on. The cord is 5 1/2 feet long with 2 prong connection. For indoor personal use such as office desk table tent camping desktop
- Low wattage: 400 watt, 110 volt, 3.63 amps. Low wattage heater is more economical than running a higher wattage space heater and will not overload the circuit. Great choice for people who live in a mild climate
- Quiet and fast heating: Puts out a pretty decent amount of heat, suggest using it for space about 100 square feet. Use it by the desk, take the chill off a small, cool office space. Use it at home when you don’t want to heat up the entire house with other centralized heaters. It's very quiet so it won't keep you awake at night
- Bright and compact: 6.3 x 3.15 x 6.3 inch bright orange color makes it easy to see and it's nicely compact so you won't knock into it. This personal space heater doesn't take up much space and portable that moving it from room to room is a breeze
- Safe: ETL listed desktop heater made of flame retardant material, will shut off automatically if you happen to tip it over, which is a nice safety feature, especially around the lot of papers on the desktop. Outer surface stays cool
Measuring 6.3 x 3.15 x 6.3 inches and weighing 1.55 lbs., the 8541833742 Brighttown is another one of the incredibly portable heaters.
It puts out a decent amount of heat (400W) that is ideal for about a small space, though it works best as a personal heater. A single on/off switch at the back of the unit remains easily accessible, while a little red glow lets you know the device is on.
This heater works with standard 110/120V wall outlets and draws just 3.63 amp, making it very energy-efficient. It’s also pleasantly quiet, making it ideal for use in the bedroom or at the office. The bright orange coloring means it remains easily visible throughout.
The 8541833742 is made from flame-retardant material and ETL Listed for safety. It also features a built-in overheating protection tip-over shutoff.
- Compact, portable heater
- Plugs into a standard wall outlet
- Low-priced at under $20
- ETL Listed
- One-year warranty
- No multiple heat settings
- No timer
10. NUMIFUN Upgrade Portable Digital Electric Space Heater
The NUMFUN is another PTC ceramic heater. As with other ceramic heaters, it heats up quickly with the warmth typically felt within as little as two seconds. PTC heaters are also enviably efficient and don’t emit a bright light. Above all, they have a long life and don’t require a lot of maintenance.
Thus NUMFUN is a 2-in-1 heater with fan function. It generates up to 1500 watts in the winter to your indoors toasty and can operate in the Fan-Only mode during the hot weather to help with air conditioning. An adjustable thermostat means you can control the heat settings to your most comfortable levels.
Other standout features of the NUMFUN include an easy carry handle for convenient movement and tip-over protection that shuts off the unit if it’s knocked over. Indicator light and overheat protection are other notable features.
- Two heat settings (1000/1500)
- Adjustable thermostat
- Inexpensive at under $20
- ETL Certified
- One of the heavier models at 4.49 lbs.
- A bit loud at 54 dB
Though not very common, battery-operated heaters are a great heating option for people who spend a lot of time outdoors, even in the freezing winter weather. These small devices, some handheld and others installable inside the case deliver enough heat to keep you warm for hours. They are also inexpensive, so you don’t need to worry about the budget.
If you feel you’d benefit from a little extra heat out there in the cold, buying one of these should be a no-brainer.