If you have a windowless garage, you know how challenging it can be to keep it cool during the sweltering summer. Windows provide rooms with light, warmth, and ventilation. Without a window, your garage will feel stuffy and extremely hot because hot air gets trapped without any place to escape.
If this is your situation, you need to consider ac units for garage with no windows. However, before you decide to purchase a garage air conditioner, it’s important to consider how important this room is to you and how much time you spend in it.
If it is important, you have the choice of 4 units, including mini-split systems, wall ac units, portable ac that doesn’t use a hose, and evaporative coolers.
AC Units For Garage With No Windows Comparison Table
Is a Garage Air Conditioner Worth It?
Most garages lack proper heating or cooling systems, and sometimes this can be a negative aspect, especially when you have to work during the hot summer season.
If you own a garage, you probably know how unpleasant it can be to work when there’s too much heat. This is why a garage air conditioner is important. It offers you the convenience of changing the hot air inside the garage and making it cooler and convenient to work.
So, yes! A garage air conditioner is worth it and you should consider having one that will serve you better. There are several options to consider when it comes to cooling a hot garage, although it mainly depends on the local conditions.
If your garage is located in an area that experiences mild summers, then an exhaust fan is a suitable option to consider. The advantage of exhaust fans is that they provide you with large air changes throughout the day.
However, if your garage is located in an area that experiences hot or muggy summers, it’s advisable to have an efficient air conditioner. The benefit of having a full-blown air conditioner is that it will make it pleasant to work in your garage during the hot summer season.
It will also help you keep any rooms surrounding the garage cooler, thereby enabling you to save on expenses. That means if it’s a home garage, it will help you cool the other rooms in your house.
What Types of Air Conditioners are Best for Garage with No Windows?
Choosing an air conditioner for a garage with no windows is no easy feat, but it’s important. Cooling your garage is one of the ways to improve productivity during the hot seasons. That’s why it’s essential to consider buying the best type of AC that will offer you excellent service.
Here are some options to consider:
Mini Split Air Conditioners
Mini-split air conditioning systems are small and don’t require any ductwork. They are suitable for garages without windows. They are efficient, they come in a wide range of sizes from 6,000 to 42,000 BTUs, they offer proper heating during the winter season, and they are also DIY friendly. However, their major drawdown is that they are expensive.
Wall Mounted Air Conditioners
Wall-mounted air conditioners are similar to window air conditioners, but they don’t need any windows. The good thing about wall-mounted ACs is that they minimize your energy costs, but maximize performance.
To use this air conditioner, all you have to do is cut a hole in the wall, fill it with a metal sleeve, and slide the AC inside and out whenever you want to. Their benefits include efficiency, they are safer than window air conditioners, and they are also quiet.
Considerations for Garage Air Conditioning
When planning on using an air conditioner in your garage, there are various things you need to consider.
Here are important things to consider for garage air conditioning.
First of all, it’s crucial to consider proper insulation for the AC unit to be effective. Keep in mind that without proper insulation in your garage, the cool air from your air conditioner can easily escape through the door or walls, making the temperature stay at a comfortable level for only a short time.
This will cause your air conditioner to work too hard than it should, hence raising your energy costs and shortening its lifespan.
Another essential consideration is to ensure your garage is properly ventilated. You can pick a suitable place to vent your AC such as an exterior wall, garage door, or a glass window if you happen to have one.
It’s always recommended to vent your air conditioner while it’s running because this helps to release the hot air to go elsewhere instead of going through the AC and getting right back into your garage.
Knowing the size of your garage will help you select the right air conditioning unit to effectively cool it. Air conditioners have different BTU ratings.
An AC with a small BTU number cannot cool a large space. You can determine the square footage of your garage and then compare it with an ideal air conditioner that can efficiently cool it.
Since most garages have an open space and also lack proper insulation, you should consider using an air conditioner with a high BTU rating. This is mainly because it will help you cool the garage faster, while still putting less strain on the unit.
Other Ways to Cool a Garage with No Windows
Aside from using air conditioners, there are also other convenient ways of cooling a garage with no windows. Check them out below.
Install Garage Attic Insulation
Most garages lack proper insulation. When you properly install garage attic insulation, it will significantly prevent heat from entering inside, thereby helping it to cool.
Install a Garage Fan
Using a garage exhaust fan is also a good alternative to consider. The primary role of the fan is to push any remaining heat out of the attic of your garage, and ensure there is proper circulation of air frequently. This helps to keep your garage temperature cooler.
Use a Swamp Cooler
A swamp cooler for garage is different from an air conditioner since it uses moisture to cool the air. Also known as an evaporative cooler, it can be a great alternative to use in a garage without any windows.
5 Best AC Units For Garage With No Windows
1. Pioneer WYS012A-19 Wall Mount Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating at 12000 BTU/hour with 20 SEER and 10.5 HSPF efficiency
- Comes with every needed component in the box including an easy-install 16ft copper piping kit
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the parts and compressor
If you need efficient, all-year-round climate control in your home, then the Pioneer WYS012A-19 mini-split system is just right for you. It churns up 12,000 BTUs of cooling/heating power and has a 19 SEER energy efficiency, which is perfect for rooms and light commercial spaces up to 500 square feet.
It has a beautifully designed front panel with a dimmable LED display, and a full feature remote control with a large LCD backlit screen for smooth operation in the dark. It also has a 3-speed fan motor that operates quietly at all speeds and automatic-swing air discharge louvers that ensure even cooling/heating for your space.
This Pioneer unit comes with a full installation kit, which includes a refrigerant line set. It has four available line set lengths, so ensure that you choose the length that best suits your needs. (16 ft, 25 ft, 33 ft, 50 ft).
- Operates quietly
- It has a 19 SEER rating
- It comes with a remote.
- 2-year warranty for parts
- 5-year warranty for the compressor.
- It has removable and washable air filters for easy maintenance.
- No DIY Installations.
2. Senville SENL-12CD Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
- ALEXA ENABLED MINI SPLIT AC/HEATING SYSTEM: Seamlessly integrate with voice control or app, allowing you to adjust your mini split air conditioner from anywhere. Set routines for optimal temperature changes, boasting energy savings up to 40%.
- VERSATILE 4-IN-1 MINI SPLIT: Dive into an all-season solution with our mini split AC and heating system, featuring air conditioning, a robust heat pump (functional up to 5F/-15C), dehumidifier, fan, and an accelerated turbo function. Enjoy the reliability of a DC Inverter that's UL Listed, AHRI Certified, and Works with Alexa.
- STYLISH & FUNCTIONAL MINI SPLIT AC: Crafted for both home and business, this mini split air conditioner provides dynamic performance without compromising on aesthetics. Ideal for bedrooms, living areas, commercial spaces like stores, eateries, and warehouses.
- COMPLETE INSTALLATION PACKAGE: Comes with an indoor air handler, outdoor condenser, intuitive remote control, and a comprehensive installation kit featuring a 16ft. line set and communication wire. Pre-loaded with R410A refrigerant catering up to 25 ft. A heads-up: This system mandates professional installation – it's not a DIY mini split AC.
- TRUST WORTHY 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Your investment is safeguarded with our mini split heat pump's industry-leading warranty – 5 years on parts replacement and another 5 on the compressor. Benefit from the established quality of Senville, complemented by complimentary technical assistance. Labor not included.
The Senville SENL-12CD is an excellent appliance addition for your home to serve your cooling and heating requirements. This unit packs 12,000 BTUs of cooling/heating power, which is perfect for cooling spaces between 450-750 square feet.
It features a variable inverter compressor that limits the amount of energy it uses. The variable inverter, coupled with a 19 SEER rating and 9.0 HSPF, this unit ensures your electricity bills stay on the lower side. You can also select “Eco mode” to run the unit at a standard 75°F to conserve even more energy.
This unit operates quietly, with the maximum indoor noise levels being at 41dB, which is almost equal to the sound level of an average conversation between two people in a quiet room.
It has several features, including variable temperature settings from 62° – 86° and a 24-hour timer that allows you to preset the times that you need the air conditioner running. You can select operation modes and AC functions using the remote control from anywhere in the room.
The Senville 12CD installs quickly, and a full 16-foot installation kit comes with the purchase.
- It has four operational modes – cooling, heating, dry, and auto mode.
- Sleep function
- The indoor unit has a 3-speed fan
- Operates quietly
- It comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- The purchase includes a full installation kit.
- Installation requires a ¼” by ⅜” line set kit, which is not included during purchase.
- It requires professional installation.
3. Koldfront WTC8002WCO 8,000 BTU 115V Through The Wall Air Conditioner
- PLEASE NOTE: This product does not ship to California. It is not approved by the California Energy Commission (CEC) for sale in California.
- 8,000 BTU cooling; Coverage area 300-350 square feet; EER 10.6; Remote control included
- Temperature Range: 62° F - 86° F; Sleep mode; 24 hour timer; Energy saver feature; Control panel with digital display
- Dimensions: 14.5" H x 24.2" W x 20.3" D; Weight 68.3 lbs; Dehumidifier function; Power cord length 6 1/2 ft; Plug Type: NEMA 5-15P
- Compatible with the Koldfront wall air conditioner sleeve (WTCSLV) sold separately
The Koldfront WTC8001WCO is a powerful air conditioner with 8,000 BTUs cooling capacity ideal for spaces between 300-350 square feet. This unit installs through the wall; hence it is perfect for rooms without windows or rooms where you need your windows clear.
It has several distinct features that make it energy efficient. Sleep mode keeps you comfortable all night, and the energy-saving function keeps the compressor running when needed only, to keep your energy bills at a minimum.
It has a three-speed fan and adjustable air louvers that allow you to direct the airflow to where you need it. It also has an easy-to-clean air filter that keeps only fresh and clean air circulating in your home.
- Through the wall installation
- Dehumidification capacity of 2.1 pints per hour
- Control panel with digital display
- Temperature Range: 62° F – 86° F
- Uses the standard NEMA plug type
- Washable air filters
- 24-hour timer
- The required wall installation sleeve is sold separately.
4. BLACK+DECKER BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
- Portable AC: Use this personal air conditioner (15.3” x 14” x 24.8”) in rooms up to 350 sq. ft. Stay cool in the hot summer months and sleep well with this BLACK+DECKER ac unit for bedroom.
- 3-in-1: Our 4,100 BTU DOE (8000 BTU ASHRAE 128) air conditioner also functions as a dehumidifier & fan. This portable air conditioner (45.8 lbs.) has a convenient remote control & top mounted control panel with LED display.
- Impressive Features: Set the temperature just right with this ac portable air conditioner. Our ac unit portable also has a slide-out washable filter, auto water evaporation, & 24-hour timer.
- Easy Mobility: Thanks to casters on the bottom and side handles on both sides of the small air conditioner, this air cooler can be moved from room to room without any hassle.
- Installation Kit: When it comes to fans that blow cold air, this indoor ac unit includes an easy-to-install window kit. A large, vented airflow outlet ushers in cool air. Cools a room approximately 15' x 20'
The Black + Decker BPACT08WT is a lightweight 8,000 BTU portable ac that can cool spaces that are at least 15 inches by 20 inches. It is best suited for storage spaces, garages, small bedrooms, and studio apartments.
It has three operation modes – air conditioning, fan-only mode to circulate air, and dehumidification mode to remove moisture from the air without cooling. It also has a multi-speed fan and 4-way airflow directions to give you total airflow control.
This ac has a built-in self evaporating system, which means there is no bucket to empty hence hassle-free maintenance. It also comes with a full feature remote control that allows you to select between operation modes from anywhere in the room.
This Black + Decker unit has rolling caster wheels that make it easy to move from one room to another. It is easy to install, and it comes with a full installation kit that includes an air exhaust hose, a water drain hose, hose adapters, a window casement, and a detailed manual to guide you through installation.
- It has a self evaporating system
- Washable slide-out filter.
- 24-hour timer
- Sleep mode
- Three operating modes
- The exhaust hose is short (4ft and 11inches)
5. Honeywell 525-729CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler
- Indoor/Outdoor evaporative air cooler or swamp cooler ideal for use in hot, dry areas like the Southwest and Midwest United States. Performs best when humidity levels are below 60%.
- Weather resistant for outdoor use, low power consumption (288 W), powerful 525 CFM airflow ideal for spot cooling small to medium indoor and outdoor spaces such as living room, patio/BBQ area, garage, deck, or bedroom.
- Carbon dust air filter, remote control, low water alarm, energy-saving timer, adjustable humidification dial, ice compartment, and detachable tank for easy maintenance.
- Moist, cool breeze can cool you down & be used as humidification during winter months.
- Not an Air Conditioner and Not Just a Fan - Reduces temperature through environmentally friendly water evaporation. Air cooler is not an air conditioner and should not be expected to cool as efficiently as a refrigerated AC.
The Honeywell CO60PM is a powerful evaporative cooler that can serve spaces up to 850 square feet. Equipped with a 15.9-gallon water tank, an airflow of 1540 CFM, and oscillating louvers, this unit ensures fast and thorough cooling of your space.
It features a continuous water supply connection with a built-in overflow protection system so that you can leave it connected to any ordinary water hose for a long time without water overflowing. It also has a durable weather-resistant exterior that holds up during extreme outdoor conditions like heavy rain or intense sunlight.
The Honeywell CO60PM has a 3-side honeycomb cooling media that ensures cool air reaches a wide area. This way, you don’t have to sit on one side of the unit to feel its cooling effects. It also has durable rolling caster wheels so you can easily move it to needed areas.
- It has a large water tank (15.9 gallons)
- It has a continuous water supply connection for non-stop cooling
- It has an ice compartment for an extra cool breeze
- Triple-sided honeycomb cooling media
- Powerful 16-inch fan blades
- It has a weatherproof and UV-resistant exterior.
- It has no air filter.
Most garages are poorly insulated, and for this reason, hot air is trapped, making the room unbearable during summer. While you can try other ways to stop the heat from entering your garage, I’d recommend using ac units for garage with no windows.
Not all air conditioners are suitable for windowless air conditioners, which is why mini-split systems are the best choice. They are a little expensive than other ac units, but they are more efficient and offer all-year comfort.
If you’re on a budget, you can try wall air conditioners or swamp coolers, especially if you live in extremely humid areas. You can also use a portable ac unit without exhaust hose, but make sure you have basic ac installation skills to vent it through a wall, dryer vent, or drop ceiling.