Are you looking to make your garage a more pleasant space to work and play? Here is a list of the best garage exhaust fans you need to spruce up your workspace.
Tackling plenty of home improvement and DIY projects in the confined space of a garage is not an easy task. Exhaust fans are great for this, as these highly useful tools are capable of releasing fumes and moisture trapped inside a room, and making the space comfortably cool during hot summer days.
If you have made the decision of purchasing an exhaust fan for your garage but haven’t quite been able to settle upon a single product, here is a list of our picks of the 10 best garage exhaust fans to help you make an informed decision:
10 Best Exhaust Fans for Garage Reviews
1. iLIVING 16-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- CUT COOLING COSTS: Reduce expensive cooling bills at home. Ready to install, our Wall Mounted automatic shutter vent fan is designed to help remove excess heat and moisture, prevent mold and allergens to keep your living space cooler and more comfortable year-round.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Perfect cooling and ventilation solution for any space at your home - including the attic, garage, shed, and more. Corrosion-resistant, the fully enclosed motor is thermally protected and permanently lubricated for easy maintenance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: Customize your comfort. iLiving Exhaust Fan has adjustable speed functionality when combined with the iLIVING ILG8SFSC speed controller (sold separately).
- WEATHER RESISTANT SHUTTERS: Constructed from durable, high-grade aluminum, these shutters can withstand moisture and heat longer than other competitors’ products adding to the fan’s longevity and preventing corrosive rust from forming.
- POWERFUL AND EFFICIENT: Small but mighty, you’ll enjoy the power and efficiency of iLiving’s Shutter Exhaust Fan. The 16-inch runs on standard 120 volts at 1/20 HP, 0.83 amps with 1580 rotations per minute, cooling and ventilating an area of 1200 cubic feet per minute!
This 16-inch variable speed shutter exhaust fan comes with automatic shutter making it a perfect addition to your garage space. The permanently lubricated motor of the exhaust fan ensures smooth operation, and the corrosion-resistant material protects it from rust and long-term damage.
With 1280 CFM and variable speed functionality, the fan is suitable for large spaces. However, to benefit from the variable-speed operation, you’ll have to purchase the iLIVING ILG8SFSC speed controller separately. The fan also comes fully assembled but requires an electrical-hardware installation.
iLIVING exhaust fan features OSHA compliant wire guards and aluminum blades. Its motor is entirely enclosed, permanently lubricated, and thermally protected to provide you with the best possible ventilation during your working hours in the garage.
Lastly, ideal for reducing unwanted odors from confined and enclosed areas, removing excessive heat and eliminating moisture to a great extent, this fan can be used at various other locations than a garage such as a factory, any commercial setting, a greenhouse, and even a barn.
- Weather-resistant aluminum shutter
- Heavy-duty galvanized steel frame
- Superior airflow
- Temperature and humidity control
- Produces a humming sound
- Requires electrical-hardwire installation
- Speed controller not included
2. MaxxAir 14-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- INDUSTRIAL EXHAUST FAN: This MaxxAir 14" Industrial Exhaust Fan is a powerful fan that can be used in garages, barns, greenhouses, and a variety of other locations. It features 14” fan blades with overall unit dimensions of 13” x 18” x 18”. Rough-in opening is 17.25” x 17.25”.
- MULTI USE VENTILATION FAN: Perfect for agriculture, industrial, restaurant, school, gym, or home.
- EXHAUST FAN WITH SHUTTER: The exterior shutters close tightly to prevent a draft when not in operation and open automatically when powered on. It helps remove unwanted odors, contaminants, excess moisture or heat.
- HEAVY DUTY EXHAUST FAN: The housing is made of galvanized steel which prevents rust and has pre-drilled holes for easy mounting. Rolled flange edges offer handling protection during installation.
- EXHAUST FAN WARRANTY: This heavy duty exhaust fan has a 1 year limited warranty. The shutters open and close automatically. Fans do not come with electrical plugs. Requires wiring to your building's electrical system.
MaxxAir industrial exhaust fan is powerful and can be used in a variety of locations, including but not limited to greenhouses, barns, and garages. The thermally protected fan comes with OSHA-compliant features, which include a PSC energy-efficient, thermally protected and fully enclosed motor, and a safety grille.
The galvanized steel housing doesn’t just prevent the occurrence of corrosion, but also comes with pre-drilled holes that make the process of mounting easier and convenient. This fan is exceptionally easy-to-install with features such as rolled flange edges that offer ultra handling protection.
One drawback reported is a loud sound, but the tightly-closing, automatic exterior shutter that prevents a draft when the exhaust fan is not operating makes up for it. This exhaust fan requires wiring to the electrical system of your building, and electrical plugs are not included in the package. However, the 1-year limited warranty acts as a bonus.
Lastly, the removal of unwanted contaminants, unpleasant odors, and excessive heat and moisture is mainly the reason this exhaust fan landed on our list of the best garage exhaust fans.
- Quick removal of humidity and unwanted odors
- Enclosed four-blade assembly
- Easy-to-install using pre-drilled holes
- Thermally protected motor
- Sturdy 20-gauge corrosion-resistant steel
- Rolled flange ensures safe handling
- Electrical plugs not included
- Requires wiring to the building’s electrical system
3. VES 16-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- APPLICATIONS: This shutter/exhaust fan can help replace or augment your ac unit by cooling your garage, attic, greenhouse shop or chicken coop. Purchase with an inlet shutter to maximize air exchanges
- INSTALLATION: Can easily be added to a window opening or opening in the wall. Please refer to the table in the listing’s images to note the rough opening needed. All fans must be installed to a firm mount such as frame created by 2 x 4 boards. Fan vibration may occur if not installed to a solid frame.
- COOLING: This VES industrial grade shutter fan cools air while removing hot, stuffy, and stale air.
- RUST PROOF ALUMINUM SHUTTERS: This shutter fan is made with corrosion resistant aluminum shutters and blades. This provides longevity to the fan and will prevent rust from forming.
- Completely assembled: No electrician is required when the fan is plugged into an approved electrical outlet
The VES exhaust fan comes fully assembled out of the box, which ensures easy installation. It can easily be installed to an opening in the wall or a window, and the installation process doesn’t require the help of a professional electrician. It is simply a DIY task. As long as you plug the fan into an approved electrical outlet, you are good to go.
The shutter and blades of this industrial grade exhaust fan are made of rust-proof aluminum. The corrosion-free material ensures a longer life and prevents rust formation. However, all these amazing features don’t come at a low price.
The fan is ideal for removing stale, stuffy, and hot air from a room and cooling it down to suit your temperature needs. The safety guard on the intake side that is coated with powder meets the standards of OSHA to provide you with an ultra-superior experience.
The rubber gasket of the motor seal, wiring, and switch connections of this garage exhaust fan shows extreme resistance to moisture, extending the lifespan of the machine. Lastly, the 2-year warranty on its motor and 1-year limited warranty on all other parts of the fan is sure to take you one step closer to sealing the deal.
- Fully assembled out of the box
- 3-wing aluminum balanced blade
- Copper winding
- No electrician required for installation
- Silicon steel stators and rotors
- Extended life
- Moisture-resistant rubber gasket
4. Professional Grade Products 16-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
As the name of the brand suggests, Professional Grade Products delivers highly efficient, industrial-grade garage exhaust fans. The fan is painted for long-lasting protection of the machine, and the material is corrosion-resistant, which prevents extreme rust formation.
The fan comes with a power cord, which makes the usage quite easy. It is widely used for ventilation purposes at factories, shops, stores, offices, garages, and other closed spaces. The automatic shutter allows the fan to exhaust only when necessary, and when the fans are not in the operation mode, the shutter closes to stop the infiltration of air.
The lack of rear protection of the motor requires you to install this unit at a location where it remains out of children’s reach. However, this machine is the perfect solution for party lovers who desire to have intimate gatherings in their garage, smoke and play loud music. The exhaust fan allows you to keep the door of your garage closed late at night and clears the smoke for an enjoyable experience.
- Power cord included
- The motor is located outside the air stream
- Painted for rust resistance and ultra protection
- Automated shutter
- 60-day warranty
- Very quiet but extremely powerful
- Have to be installed out of children’s reach
5. Panasonic 6-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- Improve the air quality of the home is through whole-house ventilation with Panasonic Whisperline, which removes "stale" air and provides fresh air on a slow, continuous basis
- Features a totally enclosed condenser motor and a large, double suction blower wheel to quietly move air
- Low profile, family-designed grilles feature an adjustable airflow so you can balance the airflow from multiple inlets
- This in-line fan can be installed in 5 different positions and joist, truss and suspension brackets are included to help make your installation as easy as possible
Panasonic garage exhaust fan might be an ideal solution for you to improve the air quality of your work and parking space. Its whole-house ventilation technology continuously provides fresh air while reducing humidity and other air pollutants.
The exhaust fan features a double suction blower wheel, which moves air without producing extra noise, and it also contains an enclosed condenser motor for better operation. The family-designed grilles come with multiple inlets that allow you to adjust the airflow whenever you need to.
One drawback to the machine is that it doesn’t come with a power cord and needs to be hardwired. If this is not much of a concern for you, you can enjoy the multiple-task ventilation the unit provides.
The installation is made quite easy with truss suspension brackets, five different positions, and joists available. The in-line fan can ventilate multiple spaces at a time. It is manufactured using high-quality components and specially designed with permanently lubricated motors to give you trouble-free, continuous operation.
- Enclosed condenser motor
- The double suction blower wheel
- Adjustable airflow
- Can be installed in 5 different joists and positions
- Truss and suspension brackets included for easy installation
- Multiple-task ventilation
- Trouble-free operation
- The unit has to be hardwired
6. Amtrak Solar 14-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- ( High efficancy fan blade ) New 14” Fan Housing with 10” High Efficiency fan blade. Enough to open louver. Easy to install with quick-connect wires. Reversible push and pull fan.
- ( Numerous Applications ) For gable vent, greenhouse, garage, shed, cabin or RV. Includes 15’ of extra wire and brackets.
- ( High Torque Motor ) Features sealed ball bearing and Thermal protected fan motor with fully balanced high efficiency fan blades for low noise level and long life. Covers areas up to 2250 Sq. Ft.
- ( Free Thermostat upon request ) This thermostat is made in USA by Selco one of the best companies in the world for making thermostat.. We also offer instructions and connectors with the thermostat so it can be easily installed.
- ( Industry’s best warranty ) Amtrak Solar products such as fan motor, solar panel, fan blades are high quality so we offer 25 year warranty for its products which is the best warranty in the business.
The Amtrak Solar exhaust fan comes with highly efficient blades and is ideal for ventilation in greenhouses, garages, or even an RV. The package includes quick-connect wires and extra brackets for easy installation.
To deliver exceptional performance, every solar fan requires a solar panel. Do keep in mind that low-wattage solar panels are no good, as they are incapable of providing sufficient power to the fan. Therefore, Amtrak Solar provides a 40-watt premium-quality, pre-drilled Crystalline Solar Panel, which doesn’t just guarantee ultra operation but also comes with 4 Z brackets, nuts, and bolts for easy setup.
You do not need any electricians, holes in the roof, inspections, or legal permits to install the solar panel. Once installed, the fan starts running as soon as the panel is exposed to sunlight and runs all day. The panel is generally known to produce power for over 30 years.
Although the fan might seem a little loud to some, it keeps your garage space ventilated and cool with fresh-air circulation all day long.
- Configured with a 40-watt solar panel with pre-drilled holes
- Large fan blade
- Saves money on electric bills
- Removes excessive heat
- Thermally protected motor
- Easy installation with quick-connect wires
7. Hon&Guam 6-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- 【Modern design】Modern design and good looking, the unit provides continuous and quiet ventilation to allow speedy reduction of humidity levels and avoid mildew and mould growth. Paremeters: Air flow 116 CFM, Power:25w, Voltage: 110v . 5 watts bulb.
- 【Durable material】Fan frame and blade are made of high quality durable ABS plastic,UV resistant, makes it high efficiency working and long working life. Effective, extremely quiet ventilation clears humidity and odors quickly
- 【Application】Hon&Guan used silent-clever technology with only 0.8 sone, continuous or periodic exchaust ventilation area such as bathroom, showers, kitchens and other spaces.
- 【Energy saving】It has reliable low power consumption, power:25W, continuous operation, and the protection class is IP34.
- 【Easy installation】❄️ The fans can be directly mounted into the ventilation shaft also suitable for ceiling mounting, just fix the fan to wall by self-tapping screws.With plug. Bulb is included.Front panel dimension:205*205*41mm; Back duct dimension 150*150*125mm
The Hon&Guam exhaust fan provides exceptionally quiet ventilation, and with its hard-wearing, thermally protected, built-in copper motor, it works faultlessly without much maintenance. The blades and frames of the fan are manufactured using premium-quality, durable, UV-resistant ABS plastics, which are extremely efficient and help clear unwanted odors and humidity from any large room.
If you desire a ventilation unit that doesn’t produce much noise, is highly efficient in moving air around, and requires high pressure, this fan is the ideal solution for you. Its 7-fan blade, ultra-thin inset screen, and front panel, and sufficient motor power complete the package.
As with every other piece of electrical equipment, this product is not completely perfect. One downside to the machine is that it is short-lived, but according to happy customers, it works like a charm, it’s incredibly easy-to-install, and most importantly, it is worth every single penny.
- Waterproof grade: IP34
- Quickly clears unpleasant odors and humidity
- Built-in, thermally protected, sturdy copper motor
- Extremely effective and quite ventilation
- Durable and superior UV resistant ABS plastics used
- Provides overheat protection
8. Professional Grade Products 12-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
Manufactured with a painted shutter and moisture-resistant plastic, Professional Grade Products exhaust fan is great for ventilation of confined and enclosed areas such as a garage or a barn. It is shipped fully assembled out of the box, so that you don’t have to go through the hassle of putting each element of the machine together.
This shutter mounted fan shows ultra-efficiency with an automatic shutter that closes itself when the fan isn’t running to stop infiltration of air. The unit reduces temperature considerably and is easy-to-install, well-made, and extremely reliable.
Lastly, this exhaust fan has to be oiled every few days. No matter how exceptional the performance of an exhaust fan maybe, a squeaky sleeve bearing is a big no-no, but it is no reason to reject a great product otherwise. If you’re up for some regular maintenance, you can lubricate the fan now and then to ensure smooth operation.
- Painted and moisture-resistant plastic shutter
- Automatic shutter
- Power cord included
- Fully assembled
- Easy installation
- Ideal for ventilation
- Reliable, well-made and quiet
- Frequent lubrication required
9. TPI Corporation 14-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- Shutter mounted 3-speed exhaust fan for use in exterior ventilation
- 120 volt, single phase, permanently lubricated, totally closed ball bearing motor with permanent split capacitor
- Self-closing shutters protect the fan from rain when not in operation
- Three aluminum paddle blades attached to a steel hub and spider assembly for durability
- Junction box included for direct wiring to wall switch
TPI Corporation’s shutter mounted, 3-speed exhaust fan is suitable for ventilating your garage with great efficiency. The completely enclosed and permanently lubricated ball bearing motor and built-in, self-closing shutter mechanism are vital features to keep an eye out for.
This direct drive, single-phase garage exhaust fan comes with 3 aluminum paddle blades that are attached to a spider assembly and a steel hub, and are enclosed by front-steel spiral wire guards for increased sturdiness.
In addition to the features mentioned above, the permanent split capacitor motor provides the fan with the ability to operate at varying speeds and gives it starting torque. The enclosed motors prevent any dirt or debris from collecting or forming. If you desire exceptional airflow, you can always opt for a bigger alternative.
- Shutter mounted
- Completely enclosed ball bearing
- Permanently lubricated motor
- Automatic shutter
- Aluminum blades
- Permanent split capacitor
- Direct wiring to wall switch with the junction box provided
- No external shutter or framing required
- Not suitable for large areas
10. Suncourt ThruWall 7.5-Inch Garage Exhaust Fan
- IMPROVED AIR CIRCULATION - Circulate air from one room to another. Perfect for work-shops, work-spaces, craft stations, rooms without windows, or any room that needs improved air circulation.
- TWO-SPEED OPERATION - The ThruWall Fan features a two-speed motor so you can customize airflow to meet your needs.
- EASY INSTALLATION: The ThruWall can be mounted in any normal drywall or paneled stud construction wall with a 3-3/4" to 6-1/2" total thickness thanks to the telescoping metal sleeve.
- HARDWARE INCLUDED: Includes #6 screws and wall anchors for ease of installation.
- GREAT FOR ALL SEASONS - Whether you are trying to keep things cold in the summer, or things warm throughout winter with the simple flick of a switch you are bouncing between heat and cool.
Suncourt exhaust fan is ideal for circulating air from one place to another, and that too, without producing any unwanted noise. It allows you to customize airflow to fit your personal needs with its two-speed motor feature. It can not only be mounted in a paneled stud construction wall but also any regular drywall.
With wall anchors and screws included in the deal, the fan is simple to install. The high-quality thermally protected motor with a fan blade that is balanced to perfection ensures quality operation. You can benefit from the fan for moving cooled or heated air between spaces.
Although the machine doesn’t work very efficiently in large spaces, its improved air circulation, ability to withstand extreme temperatures, two-speed operation, and easy installation make up a great package for a confined space like a garage.
- Two-speed motor operation
- Customizable airflow
- Better air circulation
- Wall anchors and screws included
- Weather resistance
- Not suitable for large spaces
Garage Exhaust Fan Buying Guide
While there are unlimited varieties of garage exhaust fans available online, these machines don’t come cheap. Therefore it is essential to research for information related to products meticulously and to consider all important factors before you finally decide to settle for one. Here are some things to remember while choosing a garage exhaust fan for yourself:
Things to Consider When Buying a Garage Exhaust Fan
Moisture and Fumes: An abundance of both moisture and fumes in your garage can be hazardous to your health. Moisture is usually a side-effect of lack of airflow through a space, and fumes are often released by off-gassing material. A garage exhaust fan is of the right type if it is capable of reducing both these problems.
Cubic Foot per Minute (CFM): CFM plays a vital role in choosing the right-sized garage exhaust fan. It gives you the measurement of the air (in cubic foot) moving around in your space per minute. Measure your garage space in square foot. The result will be the ideal CFM of the exhaust fan for your room.
Additional Features: Look for other features such as Motion Sensing capability in your garage exhaust fan. They help you save energy by turning off the fan automatically by sensing the absence of a person in the room. Other bonus features include humidity sensors, lights, and even low-wattage night lights.
Types of Exhaust Fans: To find the ideal ventilation for your garage, you need to consider the space and proximity available in your duct system and then select one from the following types accordingly.
Wall-Mounted Garage Exhaust Fans: As the name suggests, these exhaust fans are fixed to the exterior walls and do not require any ductwork.
Inline Garage Exhaust Fans: These fans can be installed to a ceiling or in a wall, but the fan motor is located between the ducts and pulls air outside.
Ceiling-Mounted Exhaust Fans: These exhaust fans can be fixed in your ceiling or vent through a roof or ducts.
Fan-Operation: With the rapid development in technology, setting your fans to operate as per your suitability is becoming more possible every day. Modern exhaust fans can be operated continuously, run on a timer or a thermostat, turned on and off manually, operated via motion detecting, and in many more ways. Purchase one with the operational-features that are essential to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Garage Need Ventilation?
Yes, garages do require proper ventilation settings. Homeowners usually keep garages closed due to security reasons. Lack of ventilation can bottle up the toxic fumes released by your car, stored paints, pesticides, and chemicals trapped within the space of your garage, and could create possible health hazards. Another good reason for ventilating your garage is to limit and control heat buildup.
How Big of an Exhaust Fan Do I Need?
In the case of a wide-open garage, there will be plenty of air to move around because of high ceilings and square footage. A typical fan with a 12-inch diameter might not be capable of providing the necessary airflow that your garage requires. To ensure that the cooling power needs are met for your open work area, don’t buy an exhaust fan with a diameter smaller than 18 inches.
How to Install a Garage Exhaust Fan?
The performance of your garage exhaust fan depends significantly on how well you install it, especially in the case of a high-end unit that needs to be secured in a ceiling or on a wall. Use the following step-by-step procedure to install your fan:
- Before you go ahead and mount and wire your fan, remember to take preventive measures. To avoid any electrical or fire incidents, remove any insulation in the wall area or the ceiling where you’ll install the fan and turn off all circuit breakers.
- If you have any existing wall studs, use them by installing a house frame that is strong and durable enough to handle the weight of your fan.
- If you plan to install your exhaust fan in the ceiling, secure it straight to a beam. You can also install wooden braces between joists to attach the housing firmly.
- Now hold the wooden frame against the ceiling or the wall, make outlines carefully, and puncture each corner marked.
- Before you make your cut, make sure the lines are entirely straight between the punctures.
- Place the frame firmly in the hole-opening you created and make all required seals make sure that your fan is a weatherproof and tight fit.
- To accept an electrical ground, insert a metal clip on the wooden frame. Please make sure you only follow the wiring process approved by the manufacturer of the fan to connect it to a power source.
- Dedicating a circuit to run your fan wiring rather than sharing a direct current source is highly recommended.
Approaching the end of the extensive list of our picks for the best garage exhaust fans, with this vast knowledge about them, you should be able to easily find a suitable piece of equipment that meets all your needs and is worth your while. Purchasing and installing a new electrical machine might seem like an intimidating task at first. Still, with a little effort and dedication, you can certainly upgrade your garage space to a great extent!