Tobacco smoke is harmful not only to a smoker’s health but also to indirect smokers. Even worse, smoking leaves the surroundings smelling like an ashtray, a stench that isn’t appealing at all, which is why you need an exhaust fan for smoking room.
Unlike regular room and ceiling fans that circulate air inside a room to cool it, exhaust fans for smokers draw in fresh air from outside while pulling stale air out to keep your surrounding air clean, while at the same time reducing non-smokers’ exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.
There are different cigar room ventilation systems every cigar aficionado should try, including natural ventilation, window exhaust fans for smokers and smoke eaters.
These mechanical ventilation systems that create negative pressure, are all effective at reducing cigar smoke risk to your loved ones and keeping your home smelling fresh all the time.
My Overall #1 Rated Pick
Best Value for Money
Do Exhaust Fans Remove Smoke?
Essentially, exhaust fans create goof enough negative pressure by pulling stale air out of the room and drawing clean, fresh air from outside. As the fan blows air outside, space is continuously being purified in its truest sense.
Based on the ventilation efficiency of a powerful exhaust fan, it is an ideal and effective way of removing smoke from the room too. It also increases the airflow and ventilation and reduces stuffiness and foul odors.
What is the Difference Between a Ventilation Fan and an Exhaust Fan?
Unlike natural ventilation, ventilation fans and exhaust fans are not the same appliances, and they work in very different ways with very different purposes.
A ventilation fan can be used in a residential home or commercial buildings with inadequate ventilation. It brings in fresh air from the outside and circulates it in the same space. This helps in improved breathing and reduces stuffiness or congestion in the enclosed area.
Fresh air from outside helps to maintain a good airflow which is important to stay healthy.
In comparison, an exhaust fan works to remove polluted air from a closed space, so the air inside is completely clean. An exhaust fan can be useful in kitchens to remove fumes or smells from cooking. They can also be used in restrooms and smoking rooms with inadequate ventilation to eliminate any smoke, odor, moisture, or dust.
An exhaust fan is an important appliance, as it ensures that you won’t be breathing in contaminated substances that would otherwise be present in the air.
Pros and Cons of Using Exhaust Fans for Smoking Rooms
There are multiple benefits of using exhaust fans in smoking rooms, but some disadvantages are important to mention as well.
Let’s take a look at the main pros and cons:
- Smoke not only has an unpleasant smell but also contains harmful substances which are dangerous when inhaled. An exhaust fan eliminates the presence of smoke and its damaging effects.
- The quality of air and breathability is also improved in smoking room rooms with inadequate ventilation.
- Exhaust fans remove excess moisture or humidity from the room, damaging the structure.
- Some home professionals warn that an exhaust fan can reduce the efficiency of heating and cooling appliances.
- Some exhaust fans can be quite noisy. However, many modern exhaust fans are silent too.
- It is believed that exhaust fans can depressurize the area.
- Exhaust fans can get clogged with lint or dust and need regular maintenance.
- If left on for too long, exhaust fans may become overheated, and if there is lint present, there is a danger of the fan catching fire.
How to Choose an Exhaust Fan for Smoking Room
Choosing the right mechanical ventilation system requires careful calculation using the area of the room and the number of times you want the air to change in one hour.
First, multiply the area measurement of your room (in cubic feet) by the number of air circulations required in one hour. Next, divide this value by 60 to determine how many cubic feet per minute the fan needs to be.
Always look for an exhaust fan that will give enough output according to your room’s size. Larger rooms will require a more powerful and bigger fan. A reputable brand will promise not only quality but also durability and ventilation efficiency. You must ensure that the exhaust fan has high-quality filters to remove the smoke efficiently for a smoking room.
Do your research online, read customer reviews and then make your choice.
Other Ways to Remove Smoke Smell Out of your Room
What can you do to remove the smoke smell from a room when there is no exhaust fan system in place?
You can always rely on source control, natural ventilation, or mechanical ventilation systems. Open up windows and doors or use air conditioning systems. If there is a regular fan, you can turn it on for rapid air circulation, so the smell starts to escape the room. To speed up the process, place another fan outside the door to blow fresh air inside.
You can also use an air purifier as an alternative. If this is also not available, you can place several bowls filled with vinegar around the room. The odor of vinegar repels and reduces that of cigarette smoke.
Wiping down hard surfaces with vinegar and hot water also helps. Ensure to clean everything that came in contact with the smoke, such as doorknobs, tables, light fixtures, lampshades, etc.
Another solution is to use baking soda that is a natural odor-absorber. You can find some easily in your pantry. Sprinkle lots of baking soda over floors, furniture, and surfaces. You can also put some in a few bowls and leave them in the room. Over time, the odor will be absorbed and gone.
Several commercial smoke odor eliminator sprays and odor removal products are also available in the market nowadays.
We hope you are better equipped to find the right exhaust fan system for your smoking room with several useful alternatives.
Here are the different exhaust systems you can use in your home cigar rooms
7 Best Exhaust Fans For Smoking Room
1. Panasonic FV-1115VQ1 WhisperCeiling DC Ventilation Fan
- Pick-A-Flow Speed Selector: Select desired airflow from 110, 130, 150 CFM
- Revolutionary ECM motor with SmartFlow technology for optimum CFM output
- Flex-Z Fast bracket provides flexible, fast & trouble-free installation, even from below the ceiling
- Long Life: High-quality components and permanently lubricated motors for long life
- Code Compliant: ENERGY STAR rated and ASHRAE 62.2 compliant
We highly recommend Panasonic’s WhisperCeiling® DC™ Precision Spot Ventilation Fan, which is one of the highest-rated, customer-approved exhaust fans that effectively provides ventilation to the room too.
This fan has a built-in Pick-A-Flow™ switch which lets users choose their required airflow (110, 130, or 150 CFM). If you want to check humidity levels in your home or office space you can choose a unit with a humidity sensor.
- ECM motor with SmartFlow™ technology that gives a high-powered CFM output.
- Flex-Z Fast Bracket to aid in easy and simple installation with flexible positioning.
- Precision Spot Ventilation allows the room to be ventilated with fresh air without making any noise.
- Lighted model is also available with a 10 Watts LED chip panel with <1W LED night light.
- This product is Energy Star Rated, meaning it’s climate-friendly and uses fewer units of energy.
- It moves a lot of air and gets rid of air purities, smoke, and humidity quickly.
- Has smooth, whisper-quiet functioning.
- The option to select airflow is very convenient.
- Designed by a reputable brand with solid engineering and quality.
- Durable over years of use.
- Easy, hassle-free installation.
- A nice-looking product with elegant grilles.
- It can feel so quiet that sometimes you can’t tell whether the fan is on or not.
- Some users have reported a slight delay before the fan starts running.
- Installation may not be easy for everyone.
2. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair's HEPASilent technology, delivers clean air, faster, and much more quietly than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or up to 2592sqft XL space in 60min, on high
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps light household odors from smoking, pets and cooking
- MOST AWARDED AIR PURIFIER BRAND IN THE US: Blue Pure 211 plus has won Good Housekeeping – 10 Best Air Purifiers of 2021, Best Overall Air Purifier; Wirecutter Pick - The Best Air Purifier - 2019 - 2022
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FOR PERFORMANCE & SAFETY, ZERO OZONE: AHAM Verifide for CADR; Ozone Safety Standards Certified by CARB; Zero Ozone Verified (<5 ppb) by Intertek Sustainability Program; Trusted Education Partner of British Health Professional Academy
- GENUINE FILTERS FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: Replace your filter every 6 months to ensure proper functionality & only use genuine Blueair filters; Shop 211 plus replacement filter: B073SKH39W; Upgrade to SmokeBlock filter for enhanced removal: B0B453ZDZ6. A 360-degree air intake means you can place the 211+ almost anywhere without compromising performance. Combine this with its compact and lightweight design, and you have an air purifier that is easy to move and place wherever suits you.
If an exhaust fan does not suit you or you cannot purchase it, you may consider getting an air purifier. An air purifier works by cleaning the air and removing cigar smoke and other airborne substances from the room. It also reduces but doesn’t eliminate exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.
It essentially works with the help of filters and a fan. The air passing through the filter is cleaned and then pushed back out. The filter is mainly made of paper or fiber that captures dust, pollen, smoke, and pollutant particles.
Blueair is one of the most renowned air purifier brands, and many people use their products to clear the room of smoke particles and odor successfully. Let’s take a look at one of their most popular models.
- It has a 3 Stage Filtration Process; a ‘fabric’ pre-filter for capturing dust and hair, a ‘particle’ filter for removing pollen, mold, or irritants, and a ‘carbon’ filter for smoke and odor.
- It also comes with pre-filters,1 particle with carbon filter, product documentation.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 350 CFM for smoke particles, 350 CFM for pollen, and 350 CFM for dust.
- 360° air intake completely filters the air every 12 minutes. (5x an hour for 540 square feet)
- Swedish Filter Technology claims to remove 99% of airborne pollutants.
- It is designed for large rooms.
- Simple one-button control for all settings.
- Built-in warning system signals when it’s time to change the filter.
- Sustainable products are built from materials like galvanized steel and recyclable plastics.
- Energy Star Rated.
- Massive improvement in air quality.
- Adequate for larger rooms.
- A sleek, lightweight unit that can be shifted easily.
- Straightforward Setup.
- Extremely quiet on the lowest setting.
- Colored filters that can be removed and washed.
- Filters are long-lasting.
- Trendy-looking appliance.
- No option to turn off the LED light which is bright and can get distracting.
- The power button is too sensitive
- Filters can be quite pricey.
- Some people complain about a chemical smell.
3. Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator
- BETTER RESULTS W/ UNIQUE PULSATING FEATURE: Enerzen's circuit board adjusts fan speed and ozone output throughout treatment, creating a "pulsating" effect. This aids in removing stubborn "musty" or imbedded odors and results in longer lasting treatments.
- GETS RID OF THE SMELLY BITS YOU CAN'T SCRUB AWAY: Ozone reacts with odors in the air, water, fabrics, and walls to remove, instead of mask them. Unlike other types of air purifiers, it does not require air passing through the machine to remove odors.
- COMMON USES: Deodorize cars, boats, dumpsters, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, flood and fire affected areas, as well as any cooking, smoking, pet, "musty", or general odors.
- EASY OPERATION: Turn the timer knob. Leave the space. When ozone generation is finished, allow an additional 30 minutes for any residual ozone to revert back to breathable air.
- WARNING: All ozone generators are meant to be operated in unoccupied spaces only. Remove any people, pets, or plants. The space may be re-occupied after 30 minutes of "airing out". Not available for sale in California. EPA Est. No.: 94263-CHN-1
The first product is an air purifier, not necessarily an exhaust fan but still does a great job at eliminating smoke not only odors but also pet odors, paint fumes, dust, and other sources that pollute indoor air.
Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator works well to remove irritating odors in your indoor environment. It has ceramic ozone plates that ensure the unit runs for a long time with consistent ozone output. This minimizes the need for constant ozone treatments in your affected areas.
The generator is fitted with a large fan to evenly distribute ozone over large areas in a short time, which results in efficient and long-lasting treatments. Also, the unit has a 180-minute timer with a “HOLD” function that allows your appliance to run for longer without the need for constant monitoring.
In addition to that, the unit has an industrial-grade aluminum alloy casing with a powder coating, which ensures the maximum durability of the generator. The powder coating makes it easy to clean as grease and stains wipe off easily.
- Easy to clean
- It is powerful enough to treat large areas
- CE and RoHS certified
- It leaves an unbearable odor after use
4. Fan-Tastic Vent 801250 1250 Series Vent
- Fits standard 14" x 14" openings
- Three fan blade speeds
- Manual lift dome
- Quiet operation
- Reversible air flow
The Fan-tastic Vent 801250 is a fan that fits all 14’’ by 14’’ window spaces. With ten fan blades, this unit is sure to freshen the air around you in just minutes. Also, the blades are made of clear plastic which allows sunlight to brighten up your space.
Additionally, the three-speed fan settings let you keep control of your environment. You can set it to low, medium, or high speed at your comfort.
This unit also has a smoke-colored polythene self-sealing cover (dome) that filters UV rays while letting sunshine into your room. It has reversible airflow control which allows you to either push out stale air or draw in fresh air from outside at your convenience.
It is energy-efficient, operating at only 3 amperes at its highest speed.
To top it all off, the unit is small, compact, and its installation is fairly easy.
- The fan operates quietly
- Has three adjustable fan speeds
- It is energy efficient
- The unit comes with a 2-year limited warranty on the parts and a lifetime limited warranty on the dome.
- Operation of the unit is fully manual
5. Broan-Nutone 504 Exhaust Fan
- VERSATILE FAN: Exhaust fan helps eliminate , tobacco smoke, and cooking odors. The galvanized steel house installs easily between ceiling joists for use wherever you need it most
- EFFICIENT: Operates on 330 CFM and 8.0 Sones to ensure high-quality performance
- EASY INSTALLATION: Includes steel mounting brackets with keyhole slots for a fast and easy installation
- DECORATIVE: Paintable polymeric grilles allow you to ensure the fan is cohesive with your existing decor
- SAFE: This 10" fan is ENERGY STAR qualified and HVI certified to ensure safe use for years to come
The Broan-NuTone 504 exhaust fan is a versatile must-have home appliance. It can be used in any room in your house to keep the air fresh and clean, from eliminating humidity in laundry rooms to pushing out tobacco smoke, among others.
This powerful fan operates on 350 CFM and 6.5 sones, making it one of the most efficient and high-performing ventilation appliances. It is powerful enough for rooms up to 425 square feet.
Its polymeric grilles are paintable, so if the white does not match your home decor, you have the freedom to choose an appropriate colour and paint over it. The steel mounting brackets that come with the fan ensure easy installation.
Furthermore, its adjustable housing can fit in walls with a thickness between 4.5 inches to 9.5 inches. The fan motors are permanently lubricated to ensure that your fan keeps working efficiently for longer.
- It is easy to install
- HVI certified hence safe for use
- Powerful enough for large rooms
- Can be decorated to your liking
- Can be a bit loud for some rooms
Best Window Exhaust Fan for Smokers
6. Bionaire Window Fan with Twin 8.5-Inch Reversible Airflow Blades
- VERSATILE REVERSIBLE AIRFLOW - Multi-functional electronic blades can be set to draw in outdoor fresh air, exhaust out indoor warm air or simultaneously exchange airflow for maximum cooling efficiency
- 3 SPEED SETTINGS - Select your optimal airflow with low, medium and high settings for a customized cooling experience
- PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT - Automatically turn the window fan on and off based on desired selected temperature setting and monitor current room temperature on an easy-to-read digital LED screen display with dimmer function
- MADE TO FIT - Designed to fit most double hung, vertical slider and casement windows and includes a built-in accordion extender panel and an additional extender panel to ensure a secure fit ranging from 24" to 36"
- CONVENIENT REMOTE - Control window fan from across the room with included remote control for ultimate convenience
- READY TO USE - No assembly required, easy installation, plug-in design and 3-year limited warranty
The Bonaire BW2300-N window fan works well to keep environmental tobacco smoke and stale air out of your home. It has twin blades with independent settings, which allow you to set the fan functions to suit your situation.
For instance, If you are smoking inside the house, you can set one blade to expel stale air and the other to draw in fresh air from outside to keep your interior atmosphere fresh and comfortable even with all the smoke.
This window fan also comes with a programmable thermostat that allows you to choose a comfortable temp level for your room. The thermostat will automatically turn on and off to maintain your selected temperature and humidity levels.
The motors are water-resistant, which makes the fan usable even in rainy weather. This unit is remote controlled, a convenient feature for those times you are lazy to set everything manually. You can switch the fan on/off or adjust the speed settings and blade directions from wherever you are in the room.
It has built-in adjustable extenders that give you a custom fit for all your windows between 24 inches- 37 inches. It is designed to fit double-hung, vertical slider, and casement windows. The unit also comes fully assembled, so installation is instant.
- It has three-speed settings
- It is remote controlled for your convenience
- It comes with a programmable thermostat.
- 5 Year warranty
- Water-resistant motors
- The unit is a bit noisy, hence unsuitable for quiet rooms like studies and bedrooms.
7. HOLMES Dual 8″ Blade Twin Window Fan
- Designed to fit into most double hung and slider windows (Measures approximately 13.3" x 25.5" x 6")
- Adjustable extender screen and bonus extender panel help to secure fan into larger windows (Can extend up to 37" with extenders)
- Dual blade operation with idependent electronically reversible motors allows for air intake, exhaust, or air exchange for full room circulation
- Plug in the power cord into a 120 AC Outlet. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual.
- Troubleshoot- if air does not seem to be blowing in properly adjust airflow directional switch to intake. Note-for slider windows set the fan vertically in your window opening with the left side of the fan situated on the bottom and the built-in extender panel on top. Aluminium lock
- Dual blade operation with independent electronically reversible motors; Two speed settings
- Water-resistant motors are safe to use during rainy weather; Designed to fit most double hung and slider windows
The Holmes HAWF2041-N window fan is one of the most versatile whole-house ventilation systems on the market. It has three speed settings allowing you to set the blades to your desired speed (high, medium, or low).
It has independent and electronically reversible motors that allow for exhaust, exchange, and intake of air according to your desired intentions.
The unit has water-resistant motors and is designed to fit double-hung and slider windows. It also has a programmable thermostat that allows you to maintain your ideal comfort levels at all times.
- Works quietly
- Has three variable fan speeds
- Has water-resistant motors
- Has a programmable thermostat
- The thermostat is quite sensitive and needs constant calibration
8. Comfort Zone CZ310R Expandable Reversible Twin Window Fan
- 🌬️ADJUSTABLE 3-SPEED CONTROL: Tailor the airflow and optimize air circulation in any environment with the 3-speed functionality of this twin window fan. Choose between low, medium, or high-volume air speed options to create the perfect breeze for your space. Whether you desire a gentle and soothing airflow, a moderate breeze for enhanced air circulation, or a powerful gust of air to cool down quickly, this fan offers customizable settings to suit your preferences. With 70 watts and a voltage of 120 volts, it delivers efficient performance.
- 🌬️VERSATILE MULTI-FUNCTIONALITY: Select the cooling function to refresh and invigorate the room with a gentle breeze. Opt for the exhaust function to effectively remove stale air and promote better ventilation. Choose the circulating function to activate opposing blade movements on each fan, enhancing air circulation and ensuring optimal airflow distribution. With these versatile multi-function options, you have the flexibility to create the desired atmosphere and airflow pattern in your space.
- 🌬️FLEXIBLE WIDTH ADJUSTMENT: The accordion expanders of this twin window fan provide adjustable width, ranging from 23-1/2" to 37", allowing it to accommodate most window sizes. Easily customize the width to achieve a perfect fit for your specific window dimensions. Once adjusted, the expanders can be securely locked in place, ensuring the twin window fan remains firmly and stably installed. Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a secure and snug fit, allowing you to experience efficient and effective airflow.
- 🌬️EFFORTLESS REMOTE CONTROL: Enjoy the ultimate convenience of the included remote control, which allows you to effortlessly adjust speed settings, select fan functions, and power on/off the fan from a distance. Say goodbye to manually operating the fan and take control of your comfort with just a press of a button. Whether you're relaxing on the couch or tucked in bed, the remote control puts the power of customization right in your hands. Experience seamless and convenient control over your fan, ensuring a comfortable environment with ease.
- 🌬️VERSATILE WINDOW FAN: Discover the exceptional functionality of the Reversible Twin Window Fan with Remote Control. Its innovative 3-in-1 design offers you the freedom to choose from three distinct settings. Opt for the cooling setting to enjoy a refreshing influx of fresh air into your space, revitalizing the atmosphere. Or, activate the exhaust setting to remove stale air and promote ventilation, ensuring a healthier environment. Embrace the versatility of this window fan, bringing a breath of fresh air to your surroundings.
The comfort zone multifunctional reversible twin window fan is a versatile fan that is sure to meet all your needs. It has three fan speed settings and three fan functions for you to choose from to ensure your ultimate comfort.
The intake function brings fresh cool air into a room; the exhaust function has the fans working to remove stale and stuffy air from your place, and the circulate function sucks out humid hot air.
It has a remote control that gives you full control of the unit without touching it. You can use the remote to power the fan on /off, choose different fan functions or fan speeds. The unit also includes a removable screen that helps to keep bugs, dust, and debris out of the fan, ensuring total protection of the unit.
It also has adjustable accordion expanders, which can be adjusted to fit windows between 23.5’’ to 37’’ in size.
- It has three fan functions; intake, exhaust, and circulate.
- It has three-speed fan settings.
- It has a removable cover screen that keeps bugs, dust, and debris away.
- The fan comes with adjustable width extenders to provide a custom fit for windows between 23.5’’ to 37’’ in size.
- The unit has no thermostat
9. BOVADO USA Twin Window Cooling Fan
No products found.
The Bovadon USA Twin window cooling fan has durable 9’’ turbo blades that ensure it stays useful for the longest time possible. This window exhaust fan has a remote control for you to operate at your convenience and has three fan functions and speeds that give you comfort options when you are running the unit.
The Bovadon USA window fan has adjustable locking extenders that allow you to custom fit the window fan into windows between 23.5 inches to 37 inches. To top it all up, this unit includes a bug screen that conveniently keeps all kinds of bugs out of your fan and room.
- It has three fan functions and three fan speeds
- It is remote controlled for convenient operation
- It comes with a bug protection cover.
The unit is noisy and shakes when you set the fans to high speed.
Smoking may be an individual habit, but keeping the people around you safe and comfortable as you indulge should be your priority. With the best window fan for smoking, you can reduce the health effects of environmental tobacco smoke, keep your home smelling fresh and keep it cool at the same time.
You can also try other smoke ventilation systems or try source control, especially for kitchens and other confined spaces. If you have a smoke room, the best option would be an exhaust fan for cigar room