What is an Infrared Heater
An infrared heater is a common type of heater used to provide supplemental heat in indoor spaces. Infrared heaters come in all shapes and sizes and can be used in different ways.
Some infrared heaters are used in the standalone mode, while others can be mounted on the walls. Large infrared heaters need to be positioned strategically on the floor in your room. Small infrared heaters can be placed on the top of desks or any other sturdy and flat surface where they are used.
How Do Infrared Heaters Work?
Infrared heaters work differently from other types of heaters, including oil-filled heaters. Whereas some heaters heat the air and then move it around the house to increase the ambient temperature, infrared heaters directly heat surfaces and objects in the room.
The heaters emit infrared radiation that is like what the sun dissipates. The infrared radiation is invisible to the eyes and can reach all the objects and surfaces within the heater’s vicinity.
When the objects and surfaces in the room get heated directly by the infrared radiation, their temperature rises. It is the heat from the items that, in turn, warms the air in the room.
Through this process, infrared heaters provide a convenient, rapid, and environmentally friendly method of heating small to large indoor spaces.
Benefits of Infrared Heaters
Infrared heaters are more beneficial than other heaters, which directly heat and move the air in the room. Here are notable benefits of using an infrared heater for supplemental heat in your home, office, or any other area.
- Even heating. Infrared heaters directly warm surfaces in the area in which they are used. The heated surfaces then transfer the warmth to the ambient air in the room. As a result of this process, the temperature in the entire room rises steadily and evenly. The difference between the temperature at the ceiling and the floor in a room in which an infrared heater is used does not exceed 3 degrees.
- Reduced need for using a humidifier. During winter, the indoor air may be arid. Such dry air may cause health problems as well as damage the wooden items in the home. Using oil-filled heaters reduces the amount of humidity in the air. However, infrared heaters do not reduce the level of relative humidity in the air.
- Clean air. Heaters that have inbuilt blowers may contribute to the presence of small dirt particles in the air. The particles may spread with the hot air that is blown around the house. Using infrared heaters solves this problem because the heaters do not force air around the room.
Negative Effects of Infrared Heating
Although infrared radiation is not visible, it does have far-reaching adverse effects on the human body and the environment. Here are a few critical adverse effects of infrared radiation.
Damage to the Eyes
When you get exposed to the radiation for a long time, your eyes’ internal temperature rises considerably. The rise in the temperature may lead to cancers of the cornea and other parts of the eyes.
Also, repeated exposure to the radiation can cause cataracts, a form of eye disease which usually leads to blindness.
Effect on the Skin
When you expose your skin to infrared radiation for a long time, you risk developing skin burns. Skin burns occur when the temperature of the skin rises over 40 degrees Celsius repeatedly.
Skin burns may be a sign that you may create other severe conditions such as cancers. However, having skin burns does not necessarily mean that one is at risk of developing skin cancers.
The greenhouse effect occurs when the temperature of the earth rises considerably and consistently. This trend causes massive changes in climate and weather conditions over time. Increased infrared radiation in the atmosphere of the earth contributes to the consistent rise in the earth’s temperature.
What Size Infrared Heater Do you Need?
The size of an infrared heater refers to the space that the heater can effectively warm and not the physical space it can occupy. There is usually no relationship between the physical dimensions of a heater and its heating capacity.
Some heaters with compact designs can sufficiently warm large spaces. Conversely, some bulky heaters may be suitable for warming small areas only.
To determine the right size of an infrared heater that you should use, first determine the area of the region that needs to be warmed.
If it is just one room, then you need to calculate its area in square feet. The area of space is usually calculated by multiplying the length and width. You can measure this to be certain of the figures that you use.
If you have a square room that measures 20 feet by 20 feet, then the room area will be 400 square feet.
Once you have the room area in square feet, you need to convert this into BTUs. The heating capacity of heaters is usually indicated in terms of BTUs.
However, you will hardly find a BTU rating on infrared heaters. The only useful information that you will get on your heater is the wattage rating. Most infrared heaters are rated 1,500 watts.
Luckily, there is a relationship between watts and BTUs. Usually, to convert watts into BTUs, you only need to multiply your wattage figure by 3.413. Therefore, if your heater is rated 1,500W, it means that it produces about 5,112 BTUs.
A rule of thumb is that you need 10 watts to heat every square foot space in your home. Thus, your 1,500W-rated heater can comfortably heat a room that measures 150 square feet.
In other words, for your room that measures 400 square feet, you need a heater that is rated 4,000W or one which can produce 13,600BTUs.
However, in practice, many other factors can influence your determination of the heater’s size needed for warming your rooms. For example, if the place has a high ceiling, you will need additional BTUs to cater to the more space between the floor and the roof.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Your Infrared Heater
You need to be sure about the features you are looking for before deciding on the specific infrared heating model. All brands of infrared heaters have unique characteristics. The features influence their performance, mode of operation, and ease of use.
The following are a few factors that you should consider when buying an infrared heater.
- Heaters may have any of the following modes of controls: manual, remote, or smart. Manual controls often comprise of knobs that are positioned on the front surface of the heaters. Some come with remote controls that help you manage your device from a distance. The most advanced brands are Wi-Fi-enabled. This means that you can use an app on the phone to control their operation.
- Infrared heaters come in all manner of shapes, sizes, and colors. If you intend to either mount your heater on the wall or place it at a strategic position in your living room, consider its design. Go for heaters that have colors that blend with the interior décor style of your home. Also, choose heaters that can provide aesthetic value in your home because of their modern or contemporary design and sleek look.
- Safety features. Some heaters have inbuilt safety features for maximum safety when in use. The two most common safety features that are found in heaters are overheat protection and tip-over protection. These features help to prevent the outbreaks of fires if the heater either overheats or falls, respectively. Other heaters are made of materials that are poor conductors of heat. The surfaces of such heaters remain cool even after they operate for a long time.
- Infrared heaters are designed to provide additional heating in homes. They are usually used to warm one room at any time. Therefore, you may have to move your heater from one place to another where it is needed at any given time. Go for heaters that are highly portable because they have handles and caster wheels.
Safety Tips When Using Infrared Heaters
Infrared heaters, like any other electrical device in your home, pose a considerable level of danger. The most common risks associated with using infrared heaters include fire outbreaks and shocks. Occasionally, a heater may cause burns to kids or pets.
Follow the following tips to minimize the risks of using these devices and prevent the occurrence of accidents.
- Plug your heater directly into the wall. Avoid using extension cables because it is not easy to find a cable that can handle your infrared heater’s wattage needs. If you connect your heater to an extension cable, then your device is likely to malfunction. The cable may also heat up and cause fires because it is unable to cope with your device’s needs.
- Conduct routine maintenance and checks. Regularly check your infrared heater to ensure that it is in good shape. If you detect any problem, ensure that you talk to a technician to help you fix it.
- Keep the heater away from water. If your infrared heater is not designed to be used in the bathroom, ensure that it does not contact water. Using your infrared heater under damp conditions may cause electric shocks.
- Keep combustible materials away from your infrared heater. Flammable materials in the home include clothing, bedding, drapery, papers, and plastics. Ensure that such materials are at least 3 feet away from your infrared heaters to prevent fire outbreaks.
- Switch off your heater when it is not in use. It is always good to switch off your heater and unplug it when it is not in use. Ensure that you do this even when you are leaving the house briefly. Heaters should not be left unattended because of the risk that they pose to everyone at home or anywhere else where they are used.
Do infrared Heaters Use a Lot of Electricity?
Infrared heaters do not use a lot of electricity. Most electric infrared heaters are rated 1,500W. This rating means that they draw 1.5kW of power for every hour when they are in operation.
Also, the heaters draw in about 12.5A of electric current. If you place such a heater in the same circuit with other devices that draw a lot of electric currents, then the entire circuit may trip. This is because standard domestic circuits contain 15A of electric current.
Electric infrared heaters do not consume a lot of electricity because of their settings. They usually contain multiple heat settings, including low, high, and eco-modes.
When set on the low mode, a 1,500W-rated heater will require only 750W. However, its heating capacity diminishes considerably when it is put on the low heat mode.
Can you Leave Infrared Heaters On All the Time?
Although it is practically possible to leave your heater on all the time, it is not wise to do so. Infrared heaters are supposed to be used as supplemental sources of heat and not the home’s primary source of heat.
You need to use them only when there is a need to create additional warmth in the house. The need for extra warmth is usually experienced in specific rooms in the home occupied by people at any given time.
Leaving your heater to run 24/7 is unnecessary because it will increase your heating costs. Furthermore, if you leave your heater to run all the time, it means that you will let it run at night when everyone is asleep or at a time when there is no one at home.
Remember that infrared heaters should not be left unattended. Thus, it is not a good idea to run your heater all the time.
Best Infrared Heater for Large Room
1. Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater
The Dr. Infrared Portable Space heater is an ideal device for providing supplemental heat in large rooms in your home, thanks to its dual heating systems and a powerful blower.
It contains both a quartz tube and a tubular heating element for converting electric current into heat energy. The dual heating system maximizes the heating capacity of this device.
Moreover, the equally powerful blower is a great plus in this heater. The blower ensures that the heater provides even and rapid heating in large indoor spaces, including living rooms.
You will enjoy using your Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater because of the remote control and caster wheels. The caster wheels provide a straightforward way of moving the heater around the house at your will. The remote control helps you control every aspect of this device from the comfort of your seat or even bed if you place it in your bedroom.
Sadly, the blower produces some noise, about 35dB, when the heater runs on the high mode. This level of noise may be high enough to distract you if you need absolute silence.
- It is highly portable because of the caster wheels
- It has a 12-hour timer for ease of use
- It comes with a universal remote control
- The blower is quite noisy
Amazon Basics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
The Amazon Basics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater is a great infrared heater suitable for warming large indoor spaces, including living rooms and even bedrooms.
It has four highly powerful infrared heating elements that instantly generate all the heat needed to create a comfortable indoor environment. Besides, you can adjust this heater’s heating performance across three settings: low, high, and eco-smart.
When the heater is set on the eco-smart mode, it automatically regulates its performance according to its environment’s heating requirements.
You can save a lot of energy if you maintain this heater on the eco-smart mode. Nevertheless, if you would like to enjoy its full heating capacity, you must use it in the high heating mode.
This heater also comes with remote control. Using the remote control to adjust its heating performance gives you all the convenience that you need when operating it.
The only notable drawback of using this heater relates to portability. The heater does not have caster wheels. It is difficult to carry such large heaters around the house.
- The heater an overheat sensor for your safety
- Powerful heating capacity suitable for spaces that measure up to 1,000 square feet
- It has an eco-smart heating option for efficient utilization of energy
- The heater comes with remote control for your convenience
- It does not have caster wheels for mobility
3. EdenPURE Space Heater
The EdenPURE Space Heater has several features that make it a viable option for providing supplemental heat in large indoor spaces.
It has a powerful copper PTC heating element that complements its wide temperature range to provide personalized heating. You can adjust the performance of the heater across a wide range from 40F to 90F.
In addition to heating performance, this heater has some of the most advanced safety features. The wood casing remains relatively cool even when the heater runs on the high heating mode for a long time. Its overheat sensors are effective enough to switch the entire device off if the internal temperature rises to dangerous levels.
You should consider that this heater does not have an eco-smart heating mode. This heating mode helps to minimize the amount of energy that your heater consumes to provide the supplemental heat needed in your home. If you would like to save energy, switch to the low heating mode.
- It has advanced safety features, including cool-to-touch, overheat protection, and tip-over protection
- The heater has a wide heating range of from 40F to 90F
- It has a powerful heating capacity, thanks to the copper PTC heating element
- The auto-reboot feature simplifies the use of the heater
- It lacks the eco-smart heating mode that helps to minimize energy utilization
4. Bluegrass Living B28TPIR-BB Propane Vent Free Infrared Gas Space Heater
If you are looking for an alternative to the standard electric infrared heater for warming large spaces, then the Bluegrass Living B28TPIR-BB may be the right choice. This infrared heater that runs on liquid propane gas has been built to provide enough heat to warm large indoor and outdoor spaces.
Besides, installing and running it does not require one to carry out the often-complex venting procedures. You do not need external chimneys to get this heater up and running.
It is easy to control the Bluegrass Living B28TPIR-BB. When the inbuilt thermostat is preset, the heater automatically maintains its performance. This mode of operation guarantees you a very comfortable environment for as long as the heater is running.
The Oxygen Depletion Sensor does a pretty good job of keeping you safe. When the oxygen amount in the air reduces, the sensor automatically triggers the heater to go off.
This saves you and your loved ones from the dangers of breathing air laden with the highly poisonous carbon monoxide.
- It has an Oxygen Depletion Sensor for maximum security
- Easy to use because the thermostat control automatically maintains the temperature within the required range
- It is vent-free; therefore, no need for additional external venting and chimneys
- Obtaining and storing massive liquid propane gas cylinders is cumbersome
5. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
The Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove is a unique electric infrared stove with a 3D design and a unique flame technology. It is designed to be used as a focal point in your living room for the provision of supplemental and zonal heating and enhancing the interior décor.
This electric stove has several settings that you can use to personalize its performance and look in the house. You can change the color, speed, and brightness level of the flame as you wish. The fake flame appears like a realistic fire dancing on the top of logs on a natural heath.
Apart from aesthetics and safety, this heater provides robust performance. It utilizes a quartz heating element to deliver heat across large spaces. Moreover, you do not need to use a humidifier with this heater because its infrared heating method does not interfere with the air’s humidity levels in your house.
- It has many control options for personalized performance, including flame color and dancing speed, and heating performance
- The 3D design of the stove and a sleek modern design enhance the appearance of your house
- It has an adjustable thermostat for your comfort
- The heater comes with an overheat protection feature
- Carrying it from one place to another is problematic because it lacks caster wheels
6. LifeSmart Infrared Heater
The LifeSmart Infrared Heater is a compact device with amazingly high heating capabilities. It also comes with all the additions you would like to get in a heater, including remote control, a built-in digital thermostat, and a 12-hour timer.
You can use the digital thermostat to determine the temperature of your room. The heater adjusts its performance to ensure that your ideal temperature is maintained if it is running. The 12-hour timer is a big plus because it lets you program the heater to operate on 12-hour intervals according to your daily routine.
The remote control is another significant benefit of having this heater. You do not have to bother with the manual controls on its surface all the time. It is easy to use the remote control to adjust the performance of this heater at any time.
You will have to keep this heater out of reach of your kids and pets. Its metallic housing becomes slightly hot after the heater operates for some time. Doing this will keep your kids and pets safe.
- The heater has a 12-hour timer for personalized heating
- It comes with remote control for ease of operation
- It has an eco-smart heating mode for efficient utilization of electric energy
- The metal cabinet of the heater heats up slightly after some time
7. Unique Space Infrared Heater
The Unique Space Infrared Heater can be a great companion if you are looking for a small but robust infrared heater for indoor use.
It has a compact design that solves the problem of space if you do not want a bulky device in your living room. The heater fits perfectly in the corner of small as well as large living rooms.
However, its heating performance is commendable. The device has a fantastic output of 5,200 BTUs, which is enough for warming spaces that are as large as 800 square feet.
It also has three heat settings: low, eco-smart, and high for your comfort. When set on the eco-smart mode, the heater adjusts its power consumption rate downwards without compromising everyone’s comfort in the house.
Remember that this heater has a narrow heating range: 60F to 90F. This limited temperature range may be a limitation if your heating requirements are extreme.
- The heater is highly durable because of the quality of materials used for its construction
- It is highly portable, thanks to the four caster wheels
- It is very safe to use this heater because of its overheat and tip-over protection features
- its heating temperature is narrow – 60F to 90F
8. Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater
The Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX is an ideal heater if you are keen on having a wall-mountable device. When mounted on the wall, it saves a lot of space on your floor. Besides, mounting this heater on the wall reduces your kids’ risk or anyone else getting burns if they touch its slightly hot surface.
The Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX has a modern design and sparkling white finish. These characteristics give it an elegant look that one can harness to maximize the feel of a room. If you mount it in a strategic position, it can be a great addition to your interior décor.
This heater is built with all your safety needs in mind. Notably, it has a sensor that prevents accidents from occurring if the internal temperature rises to dangerous levels. You do not need it to have tip-over protection because it will remain mounted on the wall during its lifetime.
- The heater is mounted on the wall to save space on the floor
- You can control the heater from your smartphone using an app
- Its elegant design adds to the general look of your room
- It cannot be moved repeatedly wherever supplemental heat is needed
- Mounting it on the wall is a tedious process
9. Avenger FDT3IR Dual Fuel Ventless Infrared Heater
The Avenger FT3IR is an excellent infrared heater that runs on either natural gas or liquid propane. This device has a high-efficiency rate of 99.9%. This efficiency score means that it converts almost all the chemical energy in the fuel into heat energy that dissipates around the areas in which it is placed.
You will find the five different heat settings a great addition to the performance of this heater. If you need to adjust the temperature accurately, the settings let you do it without a fuss. Moreover, one can use thermostat control to ensure that the heater delivers truly personalized heating.
The only significant drawback of using this heater is that its surface temperature rises considerably. The combustion process that takes place inside it releases a lot of heat energy. It will be necessary to avoid touching its grills when it is running.
- The heater has a dual heating technology; therefore, it can use liquid propane or natural gas
- The thermostat control helps one to customize its performance
- It has five heat settings for your comfort and precision
- It has the easy-to-manage piezo ignition system
- The surface of the heater becomes quite hot
10. Air Choice Infrared Heater
The Air Choice Infrared Heater is designed to make it easy for you to use it at home. Its manual controls are perfectly lined up on the side of its body. You can use the manual controls to set the timer, add and increase heating temperature, and switch the heater on and off.
This heater also has three heat settings that you can use to adjust the way it works. If you set it in the eco-smart mode, you can successfully reduce its energy consumption levels and maintain a cozy indoor environment.
It will be essential to place this heater away from places that people frequently pass. Because of its lightweight nature, it can easily fall if accidentally knocked. Luckily, the heater has a tip-over protection feature that switches it off if it falls over.
- Designed for comfortable control because of the perfectly-positioned buttons and a remote control
- It has a 12-hour timer for programming its operation
- It has a 7-fin design for effective and silent heating
- It is prone to falling over because it is lightweight