High ceilings are a desired feature in modern homes today – they provide amazing levels of openness and freedom.
But did you know heating a large room with high ceilings can be difficult? Remember, you want the heat in your desired spots but because of the large space, hot air rises and wasted in the process.
One of the cost-effective solutions is adding the best space heater for large room with high ceilings to supplement your main heating system. If used correctly, space heaters can provide warm air exactly where you need it the most.
Bear in mind that this shouldn’t be your long term strategy for heating the room. You still have to insulate your ceiling and walls to prevent heat loss.
When purchasing a space heater for large room, it’s important to consider the dimensions and conditions of the space, including size and heater types.
Best Space Heater For Large Room With High Ceilings
1. Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater with Humidifier
- Newly Engineered and Designed in USA with Advanced Dual Heating System. 1500W with High and Low Temperature Settings range 50 to 85 degree
- Can heat up a large room with Dual Heating System: Infrared Quartz tube + PTC. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection. Electric Cord 72 Inches long. Amps- 12.5
- Built-in humidifier produces a cool mist to add much needed humidity to dry, winter air
- Material:Galvanized Steel
- Newly Engineered and Designed in USA with Advanced Dual Heating System. 1500W with High and Low Temperature Settings range 50 to 85 degree
- Can heat up a large room Dual Heating System: Infrared Quartz tube + PTC for 60% more heat than others. Rated around 5200 BTU.
- Built-in humidifier produces a cool mist to add much needed humidity to dry, winter air
- Overheat and tip-over protection built-in with a 12 hour automatic shut-off timer
The Dr. Infrared Heater can be the right choice for heating large rooms with high ceiling, thanks to its heating capacity. Its dual heating system provides sufficient heat via infrared radiation to warm air in rooms that measure up to 1000 square feet.
You can toggle the heating mode of the heater between high and low. When operating in the high mode, the heater consumed 1,500w of energy. At the low mode, it consumes 750w.
The ability to heat large spaces with high ceilings is nothing if a heater does not have good safety features. luckily, Dr. Infrared Heater has several advanced inbuilt safety features. The tip-over feature prevents the heater from causing fires if it gets accidentally knocked over. The heater automatically switches off when it falls.
The automatic shut-off timer protects the heater from overheating when you leave it on for a long time. You can program the heater to automatically switch off before the lapse of 12 hours.
- The advanced dual heating system and temperature controls can be used to adjust performance according to requirements
- It has advanced inbuilt safety features including an automatic shut-off timer that operates on a 12-hour basis and a tip-over switch
- It is easy to maintain the heater by removing and cleaning the filter regularly
- Unsuitable for use in large spaces that measure more than 1000 square feet
2. DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
- LOWER ENERGY BILLS: By heating only the room you’re in, you can lower your household thermostat and lower your energy bills
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Only De’Longhi has patented Smart Snap pre-assembled wheels that require no assembly and make it easy to move from room to room
- COMFORT TEMP TECHNOLOGY: Cuts your costs by automatically maintaining the optimal temperature and power settings
- MAINTENANCE-FREE SYSTEM: The oil system is permanently sealed, so you never need to worry about refilling the heater
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings
- Power Source Type: Corded-Electric
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
Heating large rooms that have high ceilings is a complex process. You need to balance between the need to maintain a cozy environment and the desire to minimize your energy consumption.
The DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater has been designed to help you address these challenges effectively. With an inbuilt thermostat that can be adjusted across the heating and temperature settings, a fully secure diathermic oil compartment and a patented ComfortTemp feature, this heater can help you minimize your energy expenses and maintain a warm environment at home.
You can personalize its performance to your preferences by toggling between high and low heating modes and letting the ComfortTemp feature automatically maintain an ideal temperature in your high ceiling room without wasting much energy on the heater.
Although this oil heater for large room has preassembled wheels that you can use to move it to any location easily, it may get damaged in the process. You need to be careful when moving the heater regularly from one room to another.
- Highly portable because of the preassembled wheels
- Requires minimal maintenance processes because the diathermic oil does not require to be replaced
- Advanced control features help to effectively regulate the heat in large rooms with high ceilings
- It can easily get damaged when repeatedly moved around the house
3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet to help you save money
- Patent pending 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames that dance on and behind the logs, including five adjustable color, brightness, and speed settings
- The infrared quartz heat helps to maintain the natural humidity in the air, resulting in comfortable heat without drying out the room's
- Overheat protection, heater will instantly shut off to prevent overheating. Volts : 120. Amps : 12.5
- Adjustable, digital thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of your room
The Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove can be the right device for heating your high-ceiling room because of its heating capacity and design.
This electric fireplace stove consumes either 1,500 or 750 watts of power to provide warmth in rooms that measure up to 1000 square feet. The traditional log set flame bed is quite effective in steadily providing heat for warming large rooms that have high ceilings.
A good heater for large rooms should have multiple settings for your convenience and personalization. This heater comes with a remote control that you can use to adjust the colors of the flame and its temperature.
Furthermore, you can use the remote control to change the settings of the inbuilt thermostat according to the heating requirements of your home.
However, this heater has one major drawback: it can easily get very hot when used for a long time. You need to ensure that the kids and pets do not play around the heater when you are using it.
- Easy and convenient adjustment using the remote control
- The heat maintains natural humidity in the room and prevents the drying of air
- Enhanced personalization capabilities, including the ability to change the color and heating temperature of the flame
- The surface can be quite hot when the fireplace operates for a long time
4. De’Longhi Ceramic Tower Heater
- Instant Warmth: Packs 1500 watts (5120 BTUs) of power for instant personal heating.
- Automatically Saves Energy: ECO function automatically adjusts heat and power settings for the most comfortable and economical warmth
- Peace of Mind: Featuring a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating and an internal tip-over switch that automatically turns the unit off if it falls over.
- Personalized Comfort: Customize your heating needs with digital controls, including an adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings.
- Quiet System: Unique technology reduces noise by half so you can comfortably watch TV or sleep.
- Warmth When You Want It: The Manual Programmable Timer can be set to go on whenever you need heat most.
- Heat More Parts of the Room: Foot pedal activates motorized oscillation to deliver full-room warm air circulation.
- Heat at Your Fingertips: A full-function remote lets you adjust all comfort settings without getting up.
- Helps Prevent Frozen Pipes: When the temperature dips below freezing, the standby setting automatically warms up the heater – ideal for preventing frozen pipes in basements.
- 150 sq feet of Comfort: Best for small to medium rooms- up to 150 sq feet in size.
The De’Longhi Ceramic Tower Heater provides a great solution for heating your high ceiling room because of its great heating capacity and mode of operation.
While it has only 1500 watts and 5120 BTUs of heating power, the innovative oscillation feature is included to enhance the heating process.
When the heater is set on the oscillation mode, it effectively circulates the heated air across large rooms fast and for long. Thus, you will experience a cozy feeling quickly and for longer when you use this heater in the room.
The only thing that you need to watch out for when using this ceramic heater for large room is that its base is not as stable as you would expect. The heater can easily get toppled over when hit with moderate force.
- Reduces energy consumption for heating because of the way the ceramic heating element operates when the heater is set on eco mode
- It has a very small footprint and can be conveniently placed in any location
- The heater has several advanced inbuilt safety features, including an automatic thermal shutoff
- The heater can easily get knocked down because the base is not wide and heavy enough to offer great stability
5. e-Flame USA Regal Freestanding Electric Fireplace Stove
- BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY SALE | The classic design highlights the realistic wood burning effect and dancing flames. This hearth is lightweight, and stays cool-to-the-touch. Transporting from room-to-room is easy. This is a fashionable heating solution for any space. Perfect for your guest room, basement, garage, apartment, office, or motorhome/RV. Safe to set on all flooring types. For a limited time save 10% by clipping the coupon above.
- FEATURES | A quiet, fan-forced heater has easy-to-adjust settings for even heat distribution. Enjoy the warm glow of the flames all year with the no-heat. Safety protection includes automatic shut-off to prevent overheating. Unit is odorless and smokeless. Safe for the elderly, kids, and pets.
- DECORATION | Dress your firebox up to reflect your personal style. All exterior faces stay cool, so it is a great way to display your seasonal décor and home accessories.
- ENERGY SAVINGS | This unit can reduce your electric bill by using over 90% less energy than gas. It heats up quickly, and has two heat setting options so there is no need to pay the high cost of heating your entire home.
- SPECIFICATIONS | Replaceable 40-watt bulbs (2). This 1500-watt unit comes with a 6-ft. long cord which plugs into any standard household outlet. Provides supplemental heat for up to 400 sq. ft. Opening mesh door. 5115 BTUs. Quick and easy assembly will get you warm and comfortable in minutes. 24.7" (H) x 23.6" (W) x 11.2"
The design and style of this electric fireplace stove stand out from other similar devices with equal heating capacity. A Standard wall-mountable electric heater can be used to provide a great aesthetic touch to your house.
However, this electric fireplace store provides you with greater flexibility. You can place the heater at any place in your home. Besides, its 3D body complements the realistic appearance of the flames on the faux heath to provide a great look in your home.
Moreover, it is easy to move the electric fireplace stove from one room to another because of its design. This gives you added flexibility and freedom when using the heater.
However, this electric fireplace has one major drawback: it is difficult to maintain it. Normally, cleaning electric fireplace stoves is more involving than for standard wall-mountable electric fireplaces. But if you understand how to do it, then using this electric fireplace heater would be beneficial in the long-term.
- Great aesthetics as a result of a classic white finish, a 3D body, and enhanced flame characteristics
- Very portable for ease of use across the home
- Provides supplemental heat in large rooms that measure up to 400 square feet
- It is difficult to clean and maintain the electric fireplace stove
6. Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater
- (Wall Mounted Heater Only.) Wi-Fi enabled makes it possible for you to control the temperature from your phone!
- Safe to the touch grill. 1500 watts of power
- Space saving wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- When installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord inside the heater. This unit stays cool to the touch and the wall stays cool.
- Safe to the touch grill. Wall mounted version, Feet not included.
- Voltage: 110 Volts
The Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX is an amazing wall-mountable energy efficient electric wall heater that you can conveniently use to provide warmth in standard-sized spaces such as living rooms and offices.
One of the things that make this electric fireplace stand out is its ease of installation. The mounting brackets are easy to handle and can hold the heater at any location on the wall in your house.
Besides, you can easily locate the heater appropriately to ensure that the warm air that it produces reaches every corner of your room quickly. Additionally, you can use the mounting location to create a focal point in the room and enhance the overall look.
The Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX comes with Wi-Fi functionality. It is easy to connect the heater to your home’s Wi-Fi network and control it according to your requirements via a smartphone.
However, this heater may strain when you use it in large rooms such as massive living rooms that measure over 150 square feet. You may have to mount it higher up to ensure that it warms the air fast enough to make the room comfortable.
- It is Wi-Fi enabled for enhanced and convenient control using a smartphone
- The installation/wall-mounting process is easy to follow
- Great safety features, including cool-to-touch
- May be unsuitable for use in very large rooms
7. HEATWAVE 25 Sqft Electric Floor Heating System
- 25 Square Feet Heating Mat, 20 Inches Wide x 15 Feet Long, Includes Required GFCI 7 Day Programmable Thermostat - 120VAC
- Highest Quality USA Heating Cable Designed for Longevity by an over 20 Year USA Manufacturer
- Listed and Safe for Wet Locations. Thin profile ~1/8" thick. Multiple Configurations, Adheres to the Floor.
- ETL Listed for US & Canada - Limited Lifetime Warranty by an over 20 Year Trusted USA Manufacturer
- Voltage: 120V - Amps: 2.5 - Watts: 300 - 15 ft Cold Lead - 12 Watts/Sqft
Installing the Heatwave System can be a very innovative and effective way of providing consistent heat in the room. The system is usually embedded under the concrete all around the house. It is wet-rated, therefore, you can use it on the bathroom floor.
Once the programmable thermostat has been set, the floor heating system steadily warms the entire house. Because warm air naturally rises as cool air takes its place, installing this system in your high-ceiling house can effectively provide the warmth and comfort that you need.
Having this system in your house eliminates the risks that are associated with standard heaters, including accidents and overheating. You do not have to worry about safety or the décor of your house if you choose to install the Heatwave System.
However, this floor warming system cannot rival ceramic or oil-filled heaters in terms of generating heat quickly. Some heaters have in-built fans that accelerate the distribution of heat across large spaces. Moreover, installing the floor heating system is a complicated process that requires an expert.
- Can be embedded in showers because it is wet-rated
- The programmable thermostat can be used to change the heating strength according to your requirements
- An innovative heating system that does not require maintenance procedures
- Installing the heating system is time-consuming and complex
Choosing the Best Space Heater for Large Room with High Ceilings
Type of Heating Systems for Large Rooms
The heating system is an important factor that you should consider when buying a space heater for rooms with high ceilings. This is the case because the type of heating system determines how effectively the heater warms your room.
Also, the heating system type plays a key role in determining the level of efficiency of your heater. The level of efficiency is how well a heater consumes energy to warm your room.
Two main heating systems are used in heaters: infrared and convective.
Infrared heaters deliver infrared radiation to physical objects within the room. The objects include walls, furniture, and even the floor. When the objects absorb the infrared radiation, they start releasing the heat to the air within the room.
The infrared radiation type of heating is very efficient. On the one hand, heaters that work using this system tend to provide warmth in large rooms very fast. The heating of inanimate objects within a space takes place instantly, thus creating a perfect solution for rooms with high ceilings.
Additionally, infrared heaters are good for large spaces with high ceilings because they help to provide a steady source of heat for a long time.
Heating such spaces are always difficult because of the massive temperature differences between the floor and the roof. However, infrared heaters can effectively provide the much-needed heat for a long time.
Convective heaters work by warming the air that comes into contact with the heating element. The heaters have a glowing element that repeatedly heats the air currents that flow across it. As the air currents get heated, they rise and immediately get replaced by cool air currents. The process repeats as long as the heater is on.
Convection heaters are not ideal for heating large spaces with high ceilings. Although naturally, warm air rises and is replaced by cool air, this process is not effective enough to counter the high-temperature gradient that is usually a permanent feature in large spaces with high ceilings.
The circular flow of air that is created by convective heaters may be ideal for warming small places with standard or even low ceilings. Also, because this type of heater relies on effective airflow, it has to be placed near natural openings in a building for it to be efficient.
If you keep many natural apertures in a large room with a high ceiling, open for long, you may not achieve the ideal ambient temperature easily.
The Goal of Heating Large Spaces with High Ceilings
To determine the heating requirements of a large room with high ceilings, it is necessary to consider a few important factors. First, the difference in temperature between the outdoor air and room air determines the amount of energy that you need to spend to keep the space warm.
The temperature of outdoor air is subject to changes in the weather and the location of your house. Outdoor temperature dips when in the winter and rises steadily during the summer.
Also, the temperature fluctuates across the day and night. This is largely beyond your control; however, it affects the amount of energy that you end up spending on your house.
The temperature within the room should be maintained within an acceptable range. This largely depends on your preferences and the prevailing conditions outside.
When the difference between the outdoor and indoor air temperature is high, then you will require to utilize a lot of energy to keep the inside of the room cozy.
If the difference in temperature between the outdoor and indoor air is low, then your energy expenditure will decrease. This factor determines the kind of heater that you may need to warm your house.
When the fluctuations are high, using a heater that has high heating capacity but standard power consumption rates may be the right thing to do.
Heating Capacity and Controls
The heating capacity of your heater determines how well it can generate warmth in large spaces. Ideally, you can toggle between the high and low heating capacity modes depending on your energy requirements. At high capacity mode, heaters consume 1,500w while at low heating mode, they utilize 750w.
Additionally, heaters have numerous controls that you can use to adjust their performance. Some electric fireplaces have up to five settings for heating temperature and color of the flames.
The higher the level of control, the better it is to use the heater to warm your rooms. This is so because you can adjust the heater based on prevailing indoor and outdoor weather conditions.
Not all the areas in a large room with high ceilings need to be warmed evenly. Ideally, maintain a uniform temperature within the living zone and in the zones where people spend the most time in.
Attempting to achieve and maintain uniform temperature across the entire space that has a large ceiling may cause your energy bill to shoot through the roof.
Infrared heaters may be used to provide warmth in areas where the heat is needed most at any given time. Even heaters that have little capacity may be effectively used to provide warmth in large spaces if you use their controls properly.
The temperature gradient of a room refers to the difference in warmth between the ground and the ceiling. This difference is of great significance in houses that have high ceilings. Big differences in the temperature between the ground and the ceiling make the dwelling zone of a house uncomfortable.
To address this problem, use infrared heaters. The infrared rays directly warm objects in the house within a few seconds of setting the heater on.
The inanimate objects then steadily release heat to the atmosphere. Thanks to this mode of operation, using such heaters for high-ceiling places reduces the temperature gradient very significantly.
Moreover, when you use infrared heaters in spaces with high ceilings, you overcome the danger of overheating. Conventional heaters are known to easily create overheating problems when they are let to run for a long time.
However, using infrared heaters helps to reduce the temperature gradient to an unnoticeable level and eliminates the danger of overheating.
While you can use a space heater to heat a large room with high ceilings, you have to be cautious about how you use it. Don’t make it your primary heating system and you won’t have to worry about your heating bills. Make it your central heating system and you’ll have to be ready for higher heating costs.
This review of the best space heater for large room with high ceilings is only to help you narrow down your search to products that will provide the necessary warmth so you don’t die in the cold. However, there are other products that you can choose.
If you’re still not sure, go for Dr Infrared Heater because it’s less expensive and can heat up to 1000 square feet.