Drafty rooms can be oddly cold even when your central heat is running. While there may be many reasons for this, investing in the best space heater for large drafty room is one way of beating the cold.
However, choosing the best heaters for large rooms isn’t as straightforward as many people think. You have to consider some factors including the size of the room, the strength of the heater, and ceiling height.
If you don’t have enough time to tick all the boxes, I’ve included reviews of some of the best space heaters for large drafty rooms. All you have to do is decide on the type of heating system you want.
Best Space Heater For Large Drafty Room Comparison
Benefits of Space Heaters
- One of the benefits of using space heaters is that you can easily move them from one place to another. Space heaters are deliberately designed to be portable so that you can move them to the place where the air should be heated. Some have wheels and handles to facilitate the process of moving them around the house.
- Space heaters are quite efficient because they effectively utilize energy to heat large rooms. Some brands of space heaters have the eco-mode feature to ensure that they use little energy to produce massive heating even in large rooms.
- Space heaters have massive heating power that is enough to heat large and drafty rooms. Some brands of space heaters utilize the infrared heating method to heat objects in the room. The heat from people and objects in the room then warm and the air to maintain a cozy feeling.
- Space heaters are made to be used at home even when children and pets are around. Normally, the heaters are designed to remain cool to touch even when they have been working for a long time. This means that no one gets burned when they accidentally touch a working heater.
Things to Consider When Buying The Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room
The level of control is an important thing to consider when buying a space heater for a drafty room. Although all space heaters have buttons that you can use to change their heating performance, some come with remote controls. You can use the remote control to not only control the performance of the heater but also switch it on and off for your convenience.
The performance of the space heater is another important thing to consider. You can determine the suitability of the heater for your heating needs by measuring the size of the room.
Ideally, a space heater that consumes 1,500w of power can provide enough warmth in a room that measures up to 150 square feet. However, some space heaters may be capable of serving larger areas because they have special features such as fan systems and innovative vents that maximize their performance.
Furthermore, consider the design and finish type of heater you would like to purchase. Some heaters have a modern and sleek design while others have a traditional look. The color and other design details should blend with the interior decor of your house.
Also, consider the noise level of your heater before settling on one model. The noise level refers to how loud the heater becomes when it is operating optimally. Some heaters are noisier than others because of the way their fans operate. If you would like to use the heater in your bedroom or office, then go for heaters that are ultra-silent when on.
Check whether the heater is a wall-mountable of stand-alone type. Wall-mountable heaters can be mounted on flat or recessed walls. This depends on their design and the kind of mounting brackets that are provided.
Stand-alone heaters are designed to be very portable. They can be placed anywhere in the house to provide heat.
Safety Features to Consider When Purchasing A Space Heater
- Check whether the heater has a thermostat. A thermostat helps you to keep the heater on only when it is necessary and ensure that it does not overheat. Therefore, it is safer to use heaters that have inbuilt thermostats than those which do not have them.
- Determine whether your heater has been taken through nationally or internationally recognized safety tests. Although there are no internationally recognized safety tests for space heaters, there are several national ones that are good enough. A heater that has undergone standardized safety testing procedures is always better, in terms of safety than one which has not been subjected to the tests.
- Go for heaters that have the overheat protection feature. This feature triggers heaters to shut off when they reach certain temperature levels. The beauty of using a heater that has this ability is that you will not worry about your device overheating and getting damaged or causing catastrophes at home.
- Find out if your heater does have the anti-tip-over feature. Heaters that have this feature automatically go off when they fall. Special sensors trigger the shutting-off process when they detect the rapid movement of the heater. This can be a great way of protecting your loved ones against fires that may occur when heaters get accidentally knocked to the ground.
- Ensure that the heater has the cool-to-touch feature. The surface temperatures of properly constructed heaters do not rise to dangerous levels even when the heater functions for a long time. It is safe for kids and even adults to touch the surfaces of such heaters without facing the risk of getting burned.
Space Heater FAQ
Will a Space Heater Help you Save Money?
To determine whether your heater will save you money, you need to look at a few important things, including energy efficiency. Primarily, it is important to determine whether the heater will be your primary or supplemental source of heat.
If you have a central heating system in place already and using an energy-efficient space heater to supplement it, then using it may save you money.
The way that you use the heater will determine whether your heating costs will go down after some time. Most space heaters have inbuilt mechanisms to help you get the best when using them.
Inbuilt thermostats and timers are supposed to minimize wastage by switching the heater on when it is needed and off when it is not needed. If you use such features well, then you may reduce the overall costs of heating your home or office.
The kind of heater that you use will determine whether your heating costs will go down. Some heater has inbuilt features to make them more efficient than others.
Notably, some have an Eco-mode that minimizes the amount of energy that the heater uses. Others have advanced fan systems to maximize the heating capacity of the heater and minimize the amount of energy that is utilized to heat and move air.
Can you Leave a Space Heater On All Night?
It is not recommended to leave your space heater on all night. If you do so, then you will be running the risk of a fire at night.
Although space heaters are designed with inbuilt timers, anti-overheating features, and other safety features, they still can pose a danger if they are let to overwork.
When left unattended, heaters can easily get knocked over or cause serious fire accidents. This may happen if they overheat and get in touch with highly combustible materials like fabrics, paper, and plastics. If this happens at night when everyone is asleep, then there will be no one to help.
Do Space Heaters Emit Carbon Monoxide?
Only space heaters that operate by burning a combustible substance emit carbon monoxide.
Two types of space heaters generate heat by directly burning fuel: propane and kerosene heaters. Propane and kerosene are hydrocarbons. When they get burned, they generate different types of gases, including carbon monoxide.
Propane heaters generate heat by burning propane gas in the specially-built element. The element directs the generated heat to ensure that the surrounding air is warmed fast to create a cozy environment. Similarly, kerosene heaters burn the hydrocarbon to generate carbon monoxide and other gases. Therefore, such heaters should not be used in enclosed places.
Oil-filled heaters do not produce carbon monoxide. The oil that is contained in such heaters does not get burned to generate heat. The heating element converts electric energy to heat energy. The energy is then transferred to the diathermic oil. The oil serves as a heat sink because it releases the heat slowly to warm the air around the heater.
Similarly, porcelain heaters do not produce carbon monoxide gas because they utilize electric power to heat the clay element. Once the clay element gets hot, it starts releasing the heat to the air around the heater. Fans may be used to accelerate the transfer of heat across the room.
8 Best Space Heater For Large Drafty Room Reviews
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Dual Heating System: Infrared Quartz tube + PTC. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Built-in humidifier produces a cool mist to add much needed humidity to dry, winter air
- Oscillation function distributes warmth throughout your entire area evenly and faster.Can be operated as a fan with humidifier or without , good for summer time
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Uses water bottle instead of water tank. Lifetime filter can be removed easily and cleaned. Cannot harm children or pets. Filter can be cleaned with warm water or a vacuum once removed from the back of the unit
- The DR-998 Portable Infrared Space Heater is a 1500W portable heater featuring a dual-heating system with both infrared and ceramic heating elements inside. This heater comes with a Humidifier attachment as well as a remote for convenient use. The heater can be used with or without the humidifier, the humidifier can be run with or without the heating portion of the heater turned on, and the heater can also be run in fan-only mode. It comes with 4 durable caster wheels that allow the heater to move effortlessly from room to room.
- Mounting type: Free Standing
Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater can be the right choice for you if you need to warm a large drafty room. The manufacturer focused on including in the heater several features to ensure that it delivers excellent performance even in the most challenging environments.
Although the heater has a standard dual heating capacity that is found in many oil-filled and ceramic-based heaters, its blower is quite effective in pushing out air. The performance of the blower makes this heater very effective in providing warmth in rooms that are full of drafts.
Although maintaining the heater is supposed to be a simple process, this is not always the case. When you repeatedly remove the filter for cleaning, the heater may easily get damaged.
However, if you guard against this, you will likely enjoy the excellent performance of this heater in warming large and drafty rooms.
- The blower effectively moves large volumes of air within a short time to provide warmth even in drafty rooms
- Its dual heating capacity can be adjusted according to the heating requirements of a room
- The blower of the heater operates silently
- Constant removal and cleaning of the filter may cause damages
2. DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater
- DURABLE & MAINTENANCE-FREE: Patented, high-quality steel assembly and the permanently-sealed oil reservoir never needs refilling
- RADIANT HEAT: 1500 watts of heating power for quiet, full room comfort
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Customize to your heating needs with an adjustable thermostat and 3 heat settings
- PATENTED THERMAL SLOTS: Unique thermal slot design maximizes heat flow into the room while maintaining a low surface temperature
- PEACE OF MIND: Features a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
Although the DeLonghi TRD40615E has all the standard features that you would expect to find in an ordinary oil-filled heater for large room, it does have a few additional ones that make its performance stand out.
The patented thermal slots are quite effective in helping to increase the rate at which the heater provides heat to surrounding surfaces. This, in turn, helps to provide a steady supply of heat in large spaces. The steady flow of heat from this heater can be quite useful when you have to provide warmth in a large and drafty room.
The heater has advanced control features that you can use to personalize its performance. By adjusting the heating capacity between low and high modes, you can adjust its performance to suit the size and conditions of your room.
- The radiant heating system is effective for large and drafty rooms because it indirectly heats the air through surfaces
- Easy maintenance, thanks to the steel-based assembly and use of diathermic oil
- The specially designed thermal slots enhance the performance of the heater in large rooms
- Because the heater can be easily moved from one place to another, this increases chances of accidents and damages
3. Lasko 5586 Digital Ceramic Tower Heater
- Ceramic heating element with built-in safety features
- 1500 watts of comforting warmth; E.T.L. listed
- Digital controls with programmable thermostat and 8-hour timer
- Electronic remote control with digital display
One of the most notable features of the Lasko 5586 is the availability of personalization options. By using the remote control or knobs that are on its body, you can change the operations of the heater to suit your preferences.
The inbuilt thermostat and timer can be used to determine when the heater goes on and for how long it operates. This helps in preventing your heater from overheating as well as helping you save energy expenses.
Its sleek shape and black finish can match perfectly with modern and traditional interior décor styles. Besides, the small footprint of the ceramic heater makes it ideal for use in both small and large spaces. You do not have to figure out how its position will affect the look of the room.
Despite its outstanding design, great performance, and commendable safety features, this ceramic heater for large room can easily fall when knocked. The small base is not wide enough to give the heater the required level of stability.
- It has advanced control features including a remote control
- The inbuilt thermostat and timer can be used to personalize the heater
- Excellent modern design with a small footprint is ideal for small and large rooms
- The heater falls easily when knocked because of the small base area
4. Unique Heat Indoor Electric Infrared Room Space Heater
This heater is the right one to use in a large and drafty room because of its infrared heating mode. Because the heater directly passes heat to objects in the room, it is more effective than other heaters that directly heat air currents.
Besides, in drafty rooms, heaters that use the convection heating method may end up consuming a lot of energy.
Therefore, using Lasko 5586 in such a room may help you save energy costs and create a cozy environment quickly.
The only disadvantage of using this heater becomes clear when you have to change between its three temperature scales. You have to hold down the “quiet” button and wait for a beeping sound.
Although this is a short process, other users may find it cumbersome. However, this is a small price to pay, considering the heating capacity and level of control of the heater.
- Its infrared heating method is effective and appropriate for large and drafty rooms
- It is ideal for use even in bedrooms and offices because it has an ultra-low noise level
- The three temperature settings can be used to adjust the heater’s operations to the heating requirements
- Changing between the three temperature scales requires one to hold down the quiet button. This can be cumbersome to users
5. De’Longhi Convection Panel Heater
- Full Room Warmth: Packs 1500 watts of heating power for full room comfort
- Sleek Look: Whether set on the floor or mounted to the wall, Slim Style by De'Longhi is the most beautiful way to stay warm
- Instant Warmth: Dual Fan System fills room with heat quickly
- Convenient Wall Mount: Safe and easy to mount on any wall with included kit
- Personalized Comfort: Customize to your heating needs with the adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings
- Stay Cozy and Save Energy: Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
- 1500 Watts of power in a stylish thinner design (only 3") to take the quickly take the chill out of larger rooms
- Freestanding or wall mounted use (all hardware included)
- Unique Two Fan System Provides better, faster heat distribution into the room
- Digital controls Adjustable thermostat, Timer and multiple heat settings with LED display. For rooms up to 300 square feet
The De’Longhi Convection Panel Heater can be a great companion when you need to warm large and drafty rooms. The dual fan feature complements the dual heating system to provide an effective way of heating large volumes of air and moving it around big spaces quickly. Like all standard heaters, you can toggle the heating capacity between 750w and 1500w.
You can use this heater as a wall-mountable or stand-alone device. It all depends on your preferences. If your room is small, then mounting it on the wall may be a good idea so that it does not take up much space. Nevertheless, you can position it anywhere in the house as a stand-alone heater.
Using the Eco-Energy mode can be appropriate if you need to warm a windy room. The mode will minimize the amount of energy that is used to heat the air, thus reducing your heating expenses.
- Great performance because of the dual fan system
- You can either use it as a stand-alone or wall-mountable heater
- The Eco-Energy mode can be used to improve the overall efficiency of the heater
- The process of mounting the heater on the wall requires a considerable level of skill
6. AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
- Elegant wood finish portable space heater with adjustable electronic thermostat and easy-to-read LED display (measures 13 x 12 x 16 inches; weighs 23.5 pounds)
- Includes over-heat sensor for safety
- Adjustable temperature setting from : 65- 85 ℉
- Four infrared heating elements with 750W and 1500W power settings as well as ECO-Smart setting for energy savings
- Includes remote control (batteries not included)
- Can heat rooms up to 1000 sq ft (standard 9 foot ceiling height)
- Backed by Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
The AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater is perfect for use in rooms that measure up to 1000 square feet and are 9 feet high. Spaces with such dimensions may be large living rooms at the home or even office.
The heater is effective because it operates using the infrared heating method. This is effective in dealing with the effect of strong drafts, especially in large rooms. Furthermore, you can choose the Eco Smart mode to minimize the level of efficiency of the heater.
Heating drafty rooms using a convectional heat transfer method is usually a big problem because much of the energy is wasted. However, the infrared heating method is appropriate because the air gets warmed indirectly by objects and people in the house.
The only disadvantage of using this heater is that it becomes noisy after operating for a long time. However, this drawback is offset by the great performance and level of control of the heater.
- The ECO mode can be used to maximize the efficiency of the heater
- Adjustable temperature settings according to the heating requirements of a room
- It can easily be carried from one room to another for convenience
- It becomes noisy after being in use for a long time
7. Dura Heat DH2304S 23,800 BTU Indoor Kerosene Heater
The Dura Heat DH2304S is an amazing kerosene heater that you can rely on to provide enough heat in a large and drafty room. When operating at the high mode, it delivers enough heat to warm a room that 850 square feet.
Besides, the heater delivers heat all around itself, unlike heaters which project either warmed air or infrared radiation in one direction.
You can control the performance of this heater by changing the temperature settings using the control knobs. This may either increase or reduce its heating capacity to counter the effects of the drafts in the room.
However, this kerosene heater has several disadvantages. Although the heating chamber has been designed to minimize the smell of burning kerosene, this approach is not 100% effective. You will have to bear with the fumes of burning kerosene when using this heater.
Also, the protective grill around the main part of the body does provide a form of protection when the heater is on. Nevertheless, you will have to keep off the heater because its surface gets very hot when it is in use.
- It has an amazing heating capacity of 850 square feet
- It can operate for about 12 hours on a full tank
- The protective grill enhances the safety of the heater when it gets hot
- It produces the smell of burning kerosene particularly when getting started
8. Mr. Heater 125,000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater F271390
- Quiet Burner Technology-50% Quieter than a standard propane heater
- 10ft hose & regulator
- High-Temperature limit switch
- Heavy-duty handle
- Split barrel design for easy maintenance
Mr. Heater F271390 is an amazing propane heater designed to be used to heat large indoor spaces that measure as much as 3000 square feet.
Typically, propane-burning heaters are designed for easy transportation and use in outdoor environments. Therefore, Mr. Heater F271390 can be a great choice for heating garages and other work areas.
It has been made with a very strong handle to facilitate the process of moving it from one place to another. Furthermore, the 10-feet horse eases the process of using this heater in the outdoor environment.
However, propane-burning heaters tend to release a lot of carbon monoxide. This is the reason why it is emphasized that they should never be used in airtight spaces.
When used in outdoor spaces, this is not a big problem. Also, this burner is typically louder than the other oil-filled ones. However, because you will have to use it outdoors, the high noise level will not be a big issue.
- The split barrel design eases the process of removing and cleaning the inner components of the heater
- The quiet banner technology reduces the noise of the propane burner by 50%
- Great heating capacity suitable for large spaces of over 3,000 square feet
- The heater is unsuitable for use in indoor spaces because of the noise and the carbon dioxide produced
You don’t have to suffer in the cold when your central heating system isn’t doing enough to heat your room. You can always supplement it with the best space heater for large drafty room.
What you have to consider is the room size and the type of space heater you prefer. Electric heaters will do a great job, but if you want to save energy, you can go for propane, kerosene, or natural gas heaters.